Can med students get drafted??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstwannagraduaaate!!!

Reaction score
If an all out ww3 breaks out, can med students get drafted?

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
The gunners will be the first to go.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 60 users
Modern medicine will be useless in WW3, so med students will be low-hanging fruit. You should pick up a skill that will be more useful in the apocalypse, such as crypto mining.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Me as an HPSP student right now

1645629214683.png

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Also the military continues to cut active duty doctors from their payroll and also continues to cut training for the doctors they do have to be deployable.

When the military budget gets cut, the first thing they always cut is medical. Why? You can’t draft new tanks or jets.

Long story short, if we were to get into a war of any kind, we don’t have the active duty or reserve medical force to support the troops so those medical personnel are going to have to come from somewhere

Reactions: 1 user
>Be me, IM intern
>It is August of 2022, I have been drafted and deployed to Kyiv
>The sky is unnaturally gray, not from the clouds, but the ashes kicked up by mortar fire
>I rush to the side of a downed soldier
>Drag him back to the FOB
>"Captain Ganon, what's wrong with him?"
>"I see a normocytic anemia on labs. I'd like a stool for occult blood, serial H+Hs, and a red tag study. I also see he has low sodium... I'd better begin the workup for that too. This is going to be a very broad differential. What do you mean we don't have nuclear med here? WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE PROBLEM IS THE HOLE IN HIS SIDE?"

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
If an all out WW3 breaks out, getting drafted should be the least of your concern.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just don’t understand why SDN panics over WW3 every time a geopolitical event happens

Too old to be drafted, eh?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
If my class is representative of most med schools, I genuinely don't think 95% of med students are competent enough to be drafted.

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users
I just don’t understand why SDN panics over WW3 every time a geopolitical event happens
I suspect its due to the potential for lower wages and odd work hours prior to being able to FIRE.

Reactions: 1 users
I think there are much higher odds of the US having a massive constitutional crisis

.....The odds are 100%. Because it's been happening since I was a child (likely since before I was born, but it's egregious and public knowledge at this point).

There is no chance of a draft occurring due to the shift in combat dynamics. I’m confident in saying that there will never be another large-scale land war in history.

(unsure if initial post was a joke, but that’s my two cents)

The future of warfare shall be done via drones, mass manufacturing of these technologies, and proxy. People will die on their home territory.

Plus in this age of technology, when 1 person dies, everyone in the country knows. Therefore, deaths shall not be as meaningless as it used to be. Friends, families, will all bound together and refuse the draft. Incompetent country leader shall be determined as traitors, rather than the ones who refuse the draft.

But we're not at WWIII at all yet. This is still massive hype.

There is no chance of a draft occurring due to the shift in combat dynamics. I’m confident in saying that there will never be another large-scale land war in history.

I imagine the people of Ukraine were thinking the same thing up until few days/weeks ago.

The world is unfortunately always at risk of war, and thus the draft. We’d like to think we’ve evolved past large world-war type wars, (which were likely anomalies, but anomalies still happen), but it’s a risk as long as there are people who have different viewpoints/priorities/worldviews. Just like how life is a risk factor for death.

Until humanity confronts an existential crisis (truly catastrophic climate change, alien invasion, etc), we likely won’t run into that “unifying factor” that brings us all together. Religion still hasn’t done it (you could argue it’s often done the opposite, but it’s really human actions in the name of religion that have done that).

Kind of like how Russia is uniting NATO right now—it wasn’t long ago the alliance seemed archaic and was strained, now all of a sudden we’re BFFs (sort of) again. And unfortunately Europe is likely realizing with increasing authoritarian actions on their borders, perhaps they need to ramp up their underfunded militaries.

Which could beget yet another cycle of rearmament, to the dismay of us “commoners” who just want to take our kids to tee ball practice and grow old with our spouses.

Reactions: 5 users
The future of warfare shall be done via drones, mass manufacturing of these technologies, and proxy. People will die on their home territory.
"The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea. They will be fought in space, or possibly on top of a very tall mountain. In either case, most of the actual fighting will be done by small robots. And as you go forth today remember always your duty is clear: To build and maintain those robots."

• Haha
  • Love
"The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea. They will be fought in space, or possibly on top of a very tall mountain. In either case, most of the actual fighting will be done by small robots. And as you go forth today remember always your duty is clear: To build and maintain those robots."

OMG.

OK cool robots don't need doctors. Sucks to be an engineer.
No, Sucks to be a "made in Mexico" manufacturing Technician.
The US phd engineers are going to be paid so much.

Good lord... the Simpsons are SMRT... I mean SMART...

"There won't be a draft"

"Wait, why do I have to confirm my Selective Service documentation before I can rotate at the VA?"

Reactions: 2 users
Its funny to me that people believe wars will not be fought by boots on the ground and that drones of different sorts will fight the battles. Nothing can replace a soldier with his/her rifle and I mean nothing. My unit had all the drones, air support and technology available but that stuff accounts for jacksh$t when you're out in the middle of nowhere. But guess what got the job done...soldiers and their rifles. A draft is always possible and the more desperate a country becomes the less they care about who they draft.

Reactions: 9 users

Sorry, but you can’t be serious, right?

Were Vietnam, Korean wars, Afghanistan/Iran/Iraq not large scale land wars?

Reactions: 5 users
as the world casually descends into chaos, the demand for psychiatry has never been higher

The youngsters haven't had many courses in geopolitics or history, alas. Hell, Americans suck at geography. I doubt that more that 10% of SDNers could even point out Ukraine on a map.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 9 users
Sorry, but you can’t be serious, right?

Were Vietnam, Korean wars, Afghanistan/Iran/Iraq not large scale land wars?
Afghanistan, No. The others yes.

You could throw in the four Indo-Pakistani wars fought from the 1950s onward.

And don't forget the '67 and 73 Arab-Israeli wars.

There definitely can be large scale land wars in the future. They will be really expensive, but still doable, even among nuclear armed powers. Just an example, China has made claims to all of Russia's Pacific coastline and parts of Siberia. Then you have Pakistan and India waiting for a re-match. And Iran vs, well, just about everybody.

The youngsters haven't had many courses in geopolitics or history, alas. Hell, Americans suck at geography. I doubt that more that 10% of SDNers could even point out Ukraine on a map.

IMG_5164.png

"Geopolitical event" is a bit reductionist. NFU be damned, this is a thinly veiled nuclear threat from Putin if NATO forces interfere with Ukraine.

Draft highly unlikely to happen because the American political climate forbids it regardless of NATO intervention
Yes thats great for American med students woo!

But dismissing everyone's "panic" at large because its just a "geopolitical event" is condescending and minimizes a very real threat. Especially for people who have ties to the region or surrounding countries. Its not your or anyone's place to delegitimize and ridicule people who are worried over the situation.

• Dislike
Yes thats great for American med students woo!

But dismissing everyone's "panic" at large because its just a "geopolitical event" is condescending and minimizes a very real threat. Especially for people who have ties to the region or surrounding countries. Its not your or anyone's place to delegitimize and ridicule people who are worried over the situation.
People were panicking over the Iran event 2 years ago that led to nowhere. Geopolitical events are significant by their nature (just like how the Iran incident 2 years ago was significant). But SDNers blindly jumping into the draft bandwagon only shows how shortsighted and unrealistic they are.

It’s one thing to be worried about the situation and something else to meme over med students being drafted

• Love
People were panicking over the Iran event 2 years ago that led to nowhere. Geopolitical events are significant by their nature (just like how the Iran incident 2 years ago was significant). But SDNers blindly jumping into the draft bandwagon only shows how shortsighted and unrealistic they are.

It’s one thing to be worried about the situation and something else to meme over med students being drafted
I forgot memeing about something meant you’re balls to the wall afraid of it. Seriously. I didn’t see anyone here or around the Iran crisis time advocating dropping out of med school and taking up para-military training in anticipation of being drafted.

People came to the site to discuss it and have a conversation about it and you neither contribute or further the discussion by being condescending, nor making it feel like people can’t ask questions here without being told they’re uneducated or reactionary.

Last edited:
I forgot memeing about something meant you’re balls to the wall afraid of it. Seriously. I didn’t see anyone here or around the Iran crisis time advocating dropping out of med school and taking up para-military training in anticipation of being drafted.

People came to the site to discuss it and have a conversation about it and you neither contribute or further the discussion by being condescending, nor making it feel like people can’t ask questions here without being told they’re uneducated or reactionary.
It’s both. The thread started off with an irrational panic that involved memes trivializing a serious issue. You can recognize a problem and discuss seriously without going into irrational extremes and making jokes out of it.

You keep getting hung up on the “geopolitical event” part as if I’m downplaying it when I said that such events are significant and that doesn’t justify SDN taking it to extremes. SDN memeing it IS downplaying it and you should be criticizing that behavior. People can discuss problems seriously (there’s like several ongoing serious discussions on the forums). But starting off with an irrational exaggeration and making jokes of it is not that

It’s both. The thread started off with an irrational panic that involved memes trivializing a serious issue. You can recognize a problem and discuss seriously without going into irrational extremes and making jokes out of it.

You keep getting hung up on the “geopolitical event” part as if I’m downplaying it when I said that such events are significant and that doesn’t justify SDN taking it to extremes. SDN memeing it IS downplaying it and you should be criticizing that behavior. People can discuss problems seriously (there’s like several ongoing serious discussions on the forums). But starting off with an irrational exaggeration and making jokes of it is not that
congrats you have the last word I officially maxed out how much I care about this conversation.

• Haha
Well Biden is such an insane "president" I wouldn't doubt it.

In all seriousness though yes I'm sure med students can and would be drafted in a large scale war since medical is a huge demand in warfare. Especially if they got desperate for resources. It's not a meme or exaggeration, and believing this "geopolitical event" as some others are phrasing it won't lead to a massive war is naive when you have someone as incompetent as we do in office. Look at the withdrawal from Afghanistan and the irrational provoking/threats to Russia our government has been doing.

Concern over a draft is very legitimate. Although I do think it's highly unlikely you'd get drafted all the same unless America got desperate and a war wasn't going well.

• Okay...
Can we please close this thread. Question by the OP, if serious, was asked and answered. More hysteria, just like people wearing 6 face coverings during Covid-19, not advocating for not wearing, but the ridiculousness of seeing people outdoors with multiple face coverings, face shield, etc. is just pure irrational.

Does it matter? We have all benefited from being citizens here and all enjoyed the comforts and opportunity. If the call comes then you go serve. Not a hard concept to understand as a med student

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
For an *actual* serious discussion about Medical personnel and specific drafting plans, see "HCPDS" regulation:

From wiki:
"In 1987, Congress ordered the Selective Service System to put in place a system capable of drafting "persons qualified for practice or employment in a health care occupation" in case such a special-skills draft should be ordered by Congress. In response, the Selective Service published plans for the "Health Care Personnel Delivery System" (HCPDS) in 1989, and has had them ready ever since. The concept underwent a preliminary field exercise in fiscal year 1998, followed by a more extensive nationwide readiness exercise in fiscal year 1999. The HCPDS plans include women and men age 20–54 in 57 job categories."

You should be proactive and enlist in the service of your choice before the war begins.

• Haha
SDN panics because the sky is a different shade of blue today.

Status
Not open for further replies.