Navy Can I do PGY-1 later if I missed the chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greyangel6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Navy HPSP scholarship recipient. I graduated and signed my oath of office in May 2019 but have not completed ODS yet. I was waiting for order for PGY-1 which starts in August. I was told by NRD office that I have to attend July ODS.

Between May and towards the end of June, I reported an injury that happened to me, to HPSP office. They were concerned that I may not be able to pass ODS due to this injury. I had to go through all the process of a waiver (getting a physical exam, clearance from a physician, etc.) I received the email that the waiver request was approved 9 July 2019. By this time, I have already missed my July ODS and also my PGY-1 start date. I was instructed to wait for my detailer to get new order and also to prepare for August ODS.

My question is, would I have a shot at attending PGY-1 later on? Or is it more likely that I'm doing credentialing tour + 3 years of operational? I have asked the HPSP people and also my detailer, I'm not getting anything specific except to wait. Anyone got any insights, I would greatly appreciate it.

V/r

P.S. I have not had any pay for the past 2 months haha and won't be getting any until I complete ODS. I'd like to at least have some answers for myself but mostly my parents, with whom I am staying with, after moving out from dental school. They're loaning me some money for other expenses/bills that I'm incurring (cell phone, insurances, student loans, etc.) while I don't have a paycheck.

TL;DR I missed my timing for ODS and also PGY-1, can I still have a shot at it later? Or I'm looking at credentialing tour + 3 years of operational?

Members don't see this ad.

I am credentialing this year. Depending on where you go, there is minimal benefit to an AEGD. There are many threads on here that weigh the pros and cons of PGY-1, but where I am stationed almot everyone who did an AEGD regrets it. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 users
I am credentialing this year. Depending on where you go, there is minimal benefit to an AEGD. There are many threads on here that weigh the pros and cons of PGY-1, but where I am stationed almot everyone who did an AEGD regrets it. Just my 2 cents.
Can I PM you?