Navy PGY-1 what to expect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greyangel6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have recently been selected for PGY-1 AEGD. I do not know where I'm heading for the next 2 months until a detailer contacts me about my assignment. I put down San Diego, Camp Pendleton, Norfolk, Bethesda and Camp Lejeune in that order.

I am trying to figure out what to expect in terms of what sort of procedures will I be seeing/learning. I found out that most of what I will be doing as a GP during my HPSP payback will be exams and restorative so I want more opportunities to see more of OS and endo (with possible end-goal towards endo) during my time in AEGD. From what I could find in the existing threads, the large bases offer opportunities to assist/extern/intern/work on those cases. If you could spare any of your experience/inputs, that is much appreciated!

Also, what housing options are offered at AEGD, and is there any difference in pay compared to being in dental school HPSP or is it more comparable to AD pay? I am trying to get my finances in order as graduation is approaching (patient boards, moving back to my parents', ODS, AEGD, personal loans, etc.). I'd appreciate any advice or feedback haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Housing options is whatever is available. The only decision is whether you want to live on base or off base. No special treatment because you're a dentist/pgy-1 resident.

Your pay will be exactly what a first year dental officer makes. 1-year AEGD status is irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 user