Can anyone tell this novice about PASS/Match/Non-match ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentidont

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a novice and I'm not aware of applying to the post-graduate program so well.
I'm a little confused about the terms such as PASS, Match, Non-Match and how they work.
I know there's a web-site that is in charge of recieving the application forms on-line, and I assume that is the PASS .

Now I try to click and continue, so I can figure out the application process, and found Match / Non-match options.:confused:
Could anyone tell me about the difference between Match and non-match ?
Are the application documents all submitted through PASS web-site ?

I have heard something like the interview calls come from the non-Match program earlyer than Match, but I am not sure about this either.:(

I ask for some clear explanation and guidance in application.
Could anyone Please help me ?

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if you are applying to : oral surgery, AEGD, GPR, Pedo or Ortho then you have to loging to the Pass/match website. most of programs in these specialties participate in the match. go to the pass/ match website and there you can register for both.
pass/match site: https://portal.passweb.org/

pass section is where you fill all you info, just follow it step by step, and thats what gets forwarded to the programs, the match section is where the agency matches you with the program. go to the match site they explain the process.
match site: http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/

other specialties don't participate in the match but most of them require you to send your application through pass. some programs require you to send your application directly to them, and don't participate in either match or pass.

hope this helps

thanks, Pixel.. for your helpful information.

Then does it matter when I apply ?

Because the match system seems to be open for a couple of months and also seems not to actually START the matching before the deadline, I doubt that it would increase my chance to get an admission even if I apply earlyer, which I was advised by some of the graduate friends.

May be it is that it woudn't matter when I submit my information in PASS website, but matters when I submit the application to the school, but I'm not sure. :confused:

One thing I still feel unsure is whether I should try to sumbit my application as soon as I can to be the early bird in the line.....

Thanks in advance whoever gives assistance..

Members don't see this ad :)
PASS will not send your application to the programs until all the required documents are received by them (transcripts, letters of rec, dean's eval, etc.) so, it doesn't matter when you start your application on PASS but it matters when you finish collecting all the pieces. After everything is received by the PASS it still takes them 1-2 weeks (sometimes longer) to send the stuff to the programs. And of course, you know the importance for the programs to receive your application early.

Good luck.

thanks, Pixel.. for your helpful information.

Then does it matter when I apply ?

Because the match system seems to be open for a couple of months and also seems not to actually START the matching before the deadline, I doubt that it would increase my chance to get an admission even if I apply earlyer, which I was advised by some of the graduate friends.

May be it is that it woudn't matter when I submit my information in PASS website, but matters when I submit the application to the school, but I'm not sure. :confused:

One thing I still feel unsure is whether I should try to sumbit my application as soon as I can to be the early bird in the line.....

Thanks in advance whoever gives assistance..

I agree, start getting your letters of recommendations, transcripts, and board scores ready, so that you can begin to complete your pass applications for match positions or send your application directly to programs for non-match positions. I would check with each program to see if they are match or non-match. Sometimes a program may have both non-match positions and match positions. Non-match usually means that the program likes a particular candidate, that they are willing to grant them an early position. Match usually means both the program and you go through a ranking/matching system and the results are based on a compatible match. Usually you will hear from a non-match position first, in that even you will have to withdraw from the match positions. (you must do this because if you match to a program you must go to it since you are participating in the match process, or else you are black listed and you can not use the pass/match in the future) My advice, apply to both match and non-match and see which one accepts you first.

Thanks everyone. For the kindness. This is why I love this site.
It helped a lot... :)

Can I ask another question about the required documents ?

On the ADEA List, they had

Institutional transcript and
Professional transcript

Are these referring to the recommendation letters from institution(dental school)and others respectively ?

If not, how do I submit my recommendation letters ? (may be directly to the PG program ??)

I'm also curious why the GRE score or TOEFL score reports are not included in the required document. Should I send them to the PASS anyways, so they send the whole bunch of files lock stock and barrel , to the program ?