Can anyone give me a straight answer about when to take this bad boy??

blayikes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends, I'm a student about to go into my junior year of undergrad (planning on graduating May 2015). I would like to apply to optometry school in such a way that I do not have to take a year off. I am planning on purchasing material to start studying this summer, but I have no idea when I should actually apply to take the test. Can anyone give me straight forward advice about when to take it?? From what I have read, this forum can be a bit negative; I would love to encourage you all to keep working hard and pursing goals. Any help about this topic would rule. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!!
It is great that you are giving yourself plenty of time to study and retake if needed. I would say by the end of August or September basically before you get super busy with school. However, take it whenever you feel you are super prepared. Yes, this forum can be a bit negative. Some people have way too much pride.

Hey friends, I'm a student about to go into my junior year of undergrad (planning on graduating May 2015). I would like to apply to optometry school in such a way that I do not have to take a year off. I am planning on purchasing material to start studying this summer, but I have no idea when I should actually apply to take the test. Can anyone give me straight forward advice about when to take it?? From what I have read, this forum can be a bit negative; I would love to encourage you all to keep working hard and pursing goals. Any help about this topic would rule. Thanks again.

Hey! Welcome!

I agree with the above poster - I think you should schedule to take the OAT this upcoming August/September. Have you started studying yet? :)

If you do decide to write this summer, its best to schedule it in soon as they fill up. Best of luck!

Take it July/August of this summer prior to starting your next semester. Utilize May/June to rigorous study. If you don't do as well as you want, then you can re-take it November/December. Most applications are due January/February, so that should be sufficient time.