Advice for bad studier

LUC78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking the OAT this summer, which leaves me ample time of 3-4 months.

The problem is I'm really bad at studying on my own, especially without any regular deadlines. I know the online KAPLAN courses are supposed to be great for people who have this problem, but I'm not able to afford it at the moment. I have already purchased the KAPLAN books and plan to use that along with the OAT destroyer books.

I would really appreciate any advice as this is the first time I'm attempting to take the exam. I know I should be making a schedule, but how should I split up the studying over the months? How many hours a day should I study?

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Chad's videos are great for people that need that "classroom" type setting to study. He breaks down the material into what is necessary to remember and what is not as necessary.
I used a combination of watching his videos and studying from the Kaplan oat book and an mcat physics book to study. I would set aside at least an hour a day or more and on my days off I study at least for half the day. I made sure to study the material by having notes on my cell phone as well and studied on my down time at work.

I'm also really bad at studying on my own and need pressure to study. I did most of my studying within a month and a half before I took my exam (this was during winter break and a part of January). I read through Kaplan within one and half weeks (skipped the bio problems except genetics, did all the chemistry problems, did some of the physics problems). Then, I signed up for CourseSaver mainly for Physics and Chemistry. I thought Chad's videos and the quizzes were super helpful. I took my exam at the end of January, so I had been in class for about 3 weeks, but I studied OAT at least 3-5 hours during the week. The week before the OAT, I took an entire day to read through Feralis notes to go over Biology. I started taking practice tests (Kaplan and the sample exam from ADA) probably 3 weeks before my OAT. The Kaplan tests were much harder. I scored 30 points higher on my actual OAT. However, the sample was pretty fair, but it did have some mistakes on it.
My strategy might not be the best, but it's possible to study for the OAT within 1-2 months.

Reactions: 1 user