Campbell vs. NYIT-Ark (general insight, especially from current students)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rehman2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys... sorry for another one of these posts but I'd be extremely grateful for any insight that you can give.

I've been accepted to CUSOM and am strongly considering attending. I really liked what I saw during my interview.

I just received an interview invite to NYIT in Arkansas. I don't know much about the school though. It seems as though their tuition, if I'm looking at the correct numbers, is higher than CUSOM's tuition by about $10k.

Anyways, can you guys give me your thoughts, experiences, whatever? What you would pick? Obviously, I haven't interviewed yet at NYIT-Ark but it would be great if I could determine if it is actually worth interviewing for a spot their because I don't really have money to waste.

Thank you for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Campbell, hands down, in every way.

Unless you're from Arkansas I wouldn't bother

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're from Arkansas I wouldn't bother
Even if you are from Ark, choose Campbell. I interviewed at both. Campbell, Campbell, Campbell.

Reactions: 1 user
I would choose CUSOM hands down. Campbell has established home residency programs (I like like 15-20) that are all pre-accred for the merger. Tuition is cheaper and I'm fairly certain clinical rotations will be better quality at CUSOM as well.

Even if you are from Ark, choose Campbell. I interviewed at both. Campbell, Campbell, Campbell.

Except what is NYIT-AR's attendance policy? Campbells is pretty rough. I used to think attendance policies weren't that big of a deal, but now that boards are counting down I am getting frustrated. My school supposedly has one of the easier mandatory attendance policy too.

I'd leave the expertise to you because I didn't interview there but coming from a second year's experience. That will be the most crucial thing in the first 2 years.

NYIT-AR is also a branch so I assume they're using the same curriculum so you don't have to worry about them not preparing you for boards

Except what is ARCOM's attendance policy? Campbells is pretty rough. I used to think attendance policies weren't that big of a deal, but now that boards are counting down I am getting frustrated. My school supposedly has one of the easier mandatory attendance policy too.

I'd leave the expertise to you because I didn't interview there but coming from a second year's experience. That will be the most crucial thing in the first 2 years.

ARCOM is also a branch so I assume they're using the same curriculum so you don't have to worry about them not preparing you for boards
FYI ARCOM is a different school than NYIT-ark.

Okay thanks. Too many schools have opened even since I started lol. Fixed it. The rest of the point still stands

So you're saying that they are opening a 2 schools in Arkansas?

NYIT Arkansas is already open. ARCOM has its first class this year.

I don't know what NYITCOMs attendance policy was. It was one of the many things that was not communicated in the interview. And there were no students to ask, so who knows.

Campbell. As much as I dislike attendance policies I dislike New York schools in Arkansas even more. Especially because ARCOM is the school that has all of the hospital connections in Arkansas, not NYIT-Arkansas

AR resident here. Go to Campbell. Too many question marks at NYIT-AR.

Campbell. More established. Not to mention you're ~45 minutes away from a big city (Raleigh) and the surrounding hospitals are all level 1 trauma centers (Rex, WakeMed, Duke, etc.)

No brainer.
how is it more established if it was founded in 2011 vs. NYIT in 1977?

it's the same curriculum, it's like msu md's EL campus and grand rapids campus

it's the same curriculum, it's like msu md's EL campus and grand rapids campus

No it's not.... also the clinical years are going to be garbage because ARCOM has all of the affiliations in AR.

Reactions: 1 users
That doesn't mean it's not a separate program.....
but it's not a separate program. they allow ppl at the a state campus to go to the ny campus in the summer for other opportunities if they wanted. it's the same thing only 3rd year is different.

No it's not.... also the clinical years are going to be garbage because ARCOM has all of the affiliations in AR.
so? they have places in st. louis and memphis for 3rd year rotations which I don't mind at all. 4th year clinical is wherever you want to go so they could use the NY contacts and go there or wherever

so? they have places in st. louis and memphis for 3rd year rotations which I don't mind at all. 4th year clinical is wherever you want to go so they could use the NY contacts and go there or wherever

Do you really think that those sites are going to be good? Because they will just be the scraps that aren't used by the local medical schools. I get you are probably going here but the reality is that NYIT-AR will not have the same recognition or opportunities as the NY students. It is a separate program.

The sentiment above is correct. For the OP, from my interactions and interviews with both schools, I would choose ARCOM.