Campbell or UNC Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I'm driving from eastern part (Greenville). Do you know anything about parking?

well i dont know much more than you do, im kind of waiting on getting my confirmation email with directions on where to go but i did find a map of the campus and directions to the pharmacy school on their website. it said to park in the unc hospital dogwood parking deck (something like $1/hr, im not sure if that quote is up to date or not) and then to walk to the pharmacy building (kerr hall) which is a 10 min walk. if you want to look at the map:

http://www.dps.unc.edu/maps/campus/Guide.pdf

the parking deck is in yellow and kerr hall is above it on south columbia street. but thats all i know for now, im sure they will give you better directions on where to go in the email! hope that helped a little though!

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend parking in the deck across from the Hospital on Manning Drive. If you then take the elevator to ground level...you'll turn left and walk down Manning until you reach Columbia. Take a right on Columbia. The pharmacy school (both Kerr and Beard) will be on your left. Hope that helps and best of luck!

Thanks for both of you! I signed up for the noon session also. See you there! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my interview confirmation in my email, just a heads up for those of you still waiting! Does anyone know if a transcript review is just when they look over your transcript to make sure you have all the pre-reqs? or is it like an open file interview type thing? thanks for any help!

the interview is closed-file. and in my interview, they specifically told me that to make sure i knew.

I just got my interview confirmation in my email, just a heads up for those of you still waiting! Does anyone know if a transcript review is just when they look over your transcript to make sure you have all the pre-reqs? or is it like an open file interview type thing? thanks for any help!
That's a good question. I thought all the pre- req's were checked before they invited us for an interview? Some people say it's closed file, others state the opposite. I suppose, we shall know once we get there. I'm starting to get nervous.

They just look at which classes you need to take and make sure that you are on track to complete them by the Fall semester. The interview is closed file. You walk in with a completely clean slate! It is a very relaxed environment. Good luck to everyone who is interviewing on Thursday.

I was wondering how difficult it was to get residency in North Carolina for UNC. At the interview I was told it was possible after one year. I was impressed with the campus and the weather, so I do want to head over there.

I was wondering how difficult it was to get residency in North Carolina for UNC. At the interview I was told it was possible after one year. I was impressed with the campus and the weather, so I do want to head over there.
It's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of time. I think you have to pay bills and taxes here for a year and after that you can apply for residence.

received an email from UNC this morning, got all excited then i realized it was just that student services email. what a tease..

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on your interview invite!! do you mind sharing when the next interview date is?

Next Friday. I'm not sure if I can make it though :(

Edit: I postponed my interview date so I hope that doesn't hurt my chances too much (placed back in interview pool). I feel like it could since it's toward the end of the cycle.

Last edited:
Next Friday. I'm not sure if I can make it though :(

Edit: I postponed my interview date so I hope that doesn't hurt my chances too much (placed back in interview pool). I feel like it could since it's toward the end of the cycle.

sorry to hear that you have to postpone your interview :( that really is a bummer! hopefully you'll get a call for another interview soon. they told us since all this snow hit the east coast that they won't be able to fill their class completely till the end of march so im sure they'll have at least one more interview date!

are there any out of state unc pharm students who can give they're perspective?
why unc instead of an in state school?
pro/con of going out of state?

Last edited:
I can't speak for everyone, but... UNC is a top-ranked school, it is part of a beautiful campus and great college town, and it is likely you can earn in-state status and end up paying very cheap tuition..

And it's got an incredible brand new compounding lab that takes your breath away! :)

are there any out of state unc pharm students who can give they're perspective?
why unc instead of an in state school?
pro/con of going out of state?

I am going to UNC COP this fall as an out-of-state student. I made the decision to go there instead of my in-state school for several reasons, mostly related to the school's reputation (i.e., #2.) First, UNC COP has the second highest research funding in the country. Being interested in the possibility of a research-oriented career, I would definitely like to work in labs while in pharmacy school. I am particularly interested in pharmacogenomics and gene therapy. While interviewing, it seemed as though the school encouraged students to work in research labs. UNC also offers an honors program, which is highly enticing. The program even requires students to do original research. I will be very interested to learn more about this program during orientation.

On the other hand, while interviewing at my in-state school, which is also very competitive, I asked my tour guide, who was an admissions officer, whether there were opportunities for PharmD students to work in research labs. She hesitantly replied, "Not really. They are generally reserved for PhD students." I later asked several students whether they or anyone they knew worked in research labs. None of them did, and one even said that he once e-mailed a professor asking whether he could work in her lab to which the professor replied in a one-word e-mail "No." This student even had a chemistry B.S. This school simply lacked the academic environment that I enjoy and seemed to be more interested in pumping out PharmD students than in advancing the field through research and academia.

This notion was also reinforced in my actual interview at my in-state school. It was conducted by an administrator rather than professors whom I really enjoyed interviewing with overall, especially at UNC. With all of my professor-conducted interviews, I had a lot to discuss concerning scientific topics that I am interested in (e.g., the future of pharmacy in pharmacogenomics and gene therapy.) I had very little to discuss with the administrator, and it was definitely my worst interview. This aspect of the interview also made me feel that the school was less focused on academia and more on getting students through the program. This may be a crazy perception of mine, but I definitely left the in-state school not feeling like it was a good fit.

Overall, UNC simply provides the academic environment I am accustomed to and enjoy, especially having gone to one of the top research universities in the country for undergrad. I feel like it is a rare opportunity to be able to participate in the ground-breaking work conducted in legitimate research institutions. I am incredibly excited to go to UNC, and never really even considered my in-state school, regardless of pricing.

I forgot to mention that UNC's Dean explicitly stated that their goal is to train pharmacists for the future. He stated that they are even working on hiring 6 (I believe was the number) faculty specifically trained and working in pharmacogenomics. No other college I interviewed at said anything about changes future pharmacists may encounter, and I hypothesize that this is due to UNC's unique situation in having some of the country's top researchers in the field.

gahhh.. i'm so torn between UNC and my state schol (UF). i just don't know if i want to be an extra ~$60K in debt when i graduate.

hmm, I'd probably just go with the less expensive school. both UF and UNC are very good pharmacy schools, at least according to rankings and err... what I've heard. haha :) congrats on getting into both!

We might find out if we got accepted!!!

now im kind of stressed out! haha i keep refreshing my email, its driving me crazy. i have a feeling we won't hear until friday, but thats just my guess. :xf:

now im kind of stressed out! haha i keep refreshing my email, its driving me crazy. i have a feeling we won't hear until friday, but thats just my guess. :xf:

even knowing that i wouldn't hear back for at least a few weeks, i started checking my email every ten minutes the second i got out of the interview :laugh:

Two weeks from your interview? I interviewed in December and still haven't heard anything :(
That's what Andrew Clapper said during student services session. He also said not to freak out if your friend heard something from them and you haven't as it doesn't necessarily indicate that you're rejected/wait listed. Sooner or later, we shall all hear back : )

That's what Andrew Clapper said during student services session. He also said not to freak out if your friend heard something from them and you haven't as it doesn't necessarily indicate that you're rejected/wait listed. Sooner or later, we shall all hear back : )
I'm surprised they said 2 weeks...but then again it is a lot later then when I interviewed and probably a bit more organized now :laugh:

two weeks sounds about right. theres at least one person who posted earlier in this thread that he interviewed dec 2nd and got accepted dec 16th which is about 2 weeks later. also people that interviewed jan 6th heard back on jan 21st about 2 weeks later. i know a girl who interviewed in dec and she is still waiting to hear back. they told her that they would let her know the status of her app again at the end of feb so the date of acceptance notifications must be soon!

I think they tend to do interviews, and then have a who-should-we-accept-meeting and send out acceptances in 2 weeks + 1 day (after the interview).

this year they did ... (wow why do I know this...)

interview- wed Dec. 2
acceptances- Thu Dec. 17

interview - Wed Jan 6
acceptances- Thu Jan 21

I got accepted on Thu Jan 28 (guess they had a random acceptances-meeting, since this one wasn't paired with an interview) ... did a few more acceptances too I think, but I'm not sure what dates exactly, but I don't think they were paired with interviews

sooo
interview- Thurs Feb. 11
follow up acceptances - Friday feb 26????? :)

I think they tend to do interviews, and then have a who-should-we-accept-meeting and send out acceptances in 2 weeks + 1 day (after the interview).

this year they did ... (wow why do I know this...)

interview- wed Dec. 2
acceptances- Thu Dec. 17

interview - Wed Jan 6
acceptances- Thu Jan 21

I got accepted on Thu Jan 28 (guess they had a random acceptances-meeting, since this one wasn't paired with an interview) ... did a few more acceptances too I think, but I'm not sure what dates exactly, but I don't think they were paired with interviews

sooo
interview- Thurs Feb. 11
follow up acceptances - Friday feb 26????? :)

Oh please, let me get that email. Please.

AHHHHHH I GOT MY UNC ACCEPTANCE EMAIL TODAY!!! THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER!!!! :love:

14 Days...That's the magic number. Congrats to everyone who received emails today! See you in the Fall.

congrats! :thumbup:

thank you! good luck hearing from maryland, im still waiting on them too but am going to unc even if i get in!

14 days is the magic number, and every single day was torture!

good luck to everyone else thats still waiting! :xf:

YEAH!!! I got my acceptance email today aswell. See all of you in August. :smuggrin:

congrats to you all...

do they send the emails individually or one mass email? im still crossing fingers to get one sometime today

but also at the same time kinda disappointed i didnt get one already :(

I got an email stating that this is to inform of your application status and decision has not been made yet... I hope it doesn't mean reject? :(

Congrats, APALPHARM, good job! :)

I got an email stating that this is to inform of your application status and decision has not been made yet... I hope it doesn't mean reject? :(

Congrats, APALPHARM, good job! :)

thanks! i know a few people who interviewed back in dec/jan who are still waiting to hear so no it doesn't mean you are rejected! they probably will just re-evaluate your application next time the adcom meets. they just had another interview session feb 19th, so going by the two week rule maybe they'll re-evaluate you and you'll hear next week! good luck to you!! and good luck at campbell in march! :thumbup:

thanks! i know a few people who interviewed back in dec/jan who are still waiting to hear so no it doesn't mean you are rejected! they probably will just re-evaluate your application next time the adcom meets. they just had another interview session feb 19th, so going by the two week rule maybe they'll re-evaluate you and you'll hear next week! good luck to you!! and good luck at campbell in march! :thumbup:
I hope that's the case. Thanks for the support!
I wonder if rejection and wait list emails were sent out today as well?

I got an email at the beginning of the month stating "The purpose of this email is to provide an update on the status of your application since your interview. A final decision regarding your admission has not been made. However, the admissions committee is hard at work reviewing the remaining applicant files and plans to make final decisions in mid-March."
I don't know if this is the same one you got, but this one was a mass email. I think it's so w know they didn't forget about us :laugh:

I got an email at the beginning of the month stating "The purpose of this email is to provide an update on the status of your application since your interview. A final decision regarding your admission has not been made. However, the admissions committee is hard at work reviewing the remaining applicant files and plans to make final decisions in mid-March."
I don't know if this is the same one you got, but this one was a mass email. I think it's so w know they didn't forget about us :laugh:

Yup, that's the sucker I got. I'm so surprised they still haven't accepted you- your stats are excellent. I'd probably develop some kind of disorder if I had to wait that long lol I guess we'll be hearing back from them in the near future. Good luck to us! :luck:

Yup, that's the sucker I got. I'm so surprised they still haven't accepted you- your stats are excellent. I'd probably develop some kind of disorder if I had to wait that long lol I guess we'll be hearing back from them in the near future. Good luck to us! :luck:
I seriously thought they forgot about me or lost my file or something. then that email came and I was like oh...I guess they haven't forgotten about me after all :laugh: i guess we'll find out mid march. which isn't that far away now.

I seriously thought they forgot about me or lost my file or something. then that email came and I was like oh...I guess they haven't forgotten about me after all :laugh: i guess we'll find out mid march. which isn't that far away now.

I got the same email yesterday as well. I've only applied to UNC and I don't really want to go anywhere else. I hope I get in. By the way, do they also send rejection emails or does rejection just come in regular mail?

thank you! good luck hearing from maryland, im still waiting on them too but am going to unc even if i get in!

14 days is the magic number, and every single day was torture!

good luck to everyone else thats still waiting! :xf:
What was your answer to the question "What are some challenges our profession will face in the future?" I think that's the one I handled terribly lol

What was your answer to the question "What are some challenges our profession will face in the future?" I think that's the one I handled terribly lol

haha that was probably the one i stumbled over the most too but i think i was able to recover from it. i dont really remember exactly what i said but i did say that pulling away from population based medicine was a challenge for pharmacy as a profession and how we need to do more research is pharmacogenomics etc. something along those lines. it was the first thing i could come up with but i know if i did more research i could have came up with a better answer. unc is really big on research so maybe my answer was acceptable haha