California Northstate University College of Pharmacy (CNUCOP) C/O 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone pay their deposit and subsequently give up their seat? I sent a letter but did not receive an acknowledgement...

Members don't see this ad.

You gave up your seat? How come?

This was my earliest acceptance before any other interviews so I honestly paid the deposit just as a safety net. Gave much more consideration to the Southern CA schools because I don't feel like moving and there are a lot of good schools to choose from just down here. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool, I'm sure, they'll send you a letter via email or mail soon. The sucky part is that the 1500 fee is not refundable :-(. Well, wish you luck to whatever school you may choose.

Cool, I'm sure, they'll send you a letter via email or mail soon. The sucky part is that the 1500 fee is not refundable :-(. Well, wish you luck to whatever school you may choose.

Thank you! Just to update--Gail sent a nice acknowledgment note to my e-mail today.

Did any one get pulled off the waitlist?

Last edited:
I am a bit scared b/c I read up about this potential law suite...against California North State....
Does anyone know students that are attending? How they like it?
So far I have two interviews....One for California North State and Manchester.

I too received an interview invite and would like to know about the accreditation and pending lawsuit. Is it true the school is a year behind in obtaining accreditation? In general, what do current students think about the program and support they have received thus far. Any information will be greatly appreciated...

Just curious-if this school failed to get accredited once and the seat deposit is $1500, why would people still want to go here? I understand if people really want to be pharmacists, but its difficult to be one when the program can't even attain accreditation.

Did anyone who got interviewed on feb 22 hear back from the school? I'm so anxious..

Can current students please tell me what you think of the program? You can PM me if you like. I have read so many negative reviews about this school, so I would love to hear from you.

I would also like this please

Can current students please tell me what you think of the program? You can PM me if you like. I have read so many negative reviews about this school, so I would love to hear from you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, this school is a pretty good school despite what people are saying. In general, we have a team based learning program, and staff and faculty work very hard to ensure that we are receiving the education needed to succeed in this field of study ....... there are a few things that we are working to achieve like the infamous accreditation......our dean is super awesome, so we are staying positive and we are looking forward to becoming a stronger pharmacy school....if you have any specific questions IM me...thanks!!...take care and good luck!!

Last edited:

It's normal for people ( not you) to focus on what is negative...there really isn't much of emphasis on the excellent passing rate of the first graduating class from our "NON ACCREDITED" school!! but you have schools that have been accredited for years and yet their numbers are in the 80th some is in the 70th percentile...I wonder why?? Anyways, I wouldn't really worry too much about the negative things that people say, but if you wanna raise your brow to feel comfortable, then hey....go for it!! Just know that if you were to come here you will be exposed to a learning and teaching style that is motivating, refreshing and challenging. We have a "quiz" EVERYDAY which counts towards a percentage of your final grades!! So that means you have to keep up with your readings. We have team assignments, quizzes, and exams. Individually you have to do your part because one weak link could possibly hurt you and your team grade. We take individual exams as well, to test our individual knowledge. We also have organizations, community projects, committees, fraternities, loans, scholarships, town-hall meetings (within the school)...and the list goes on.... Depending on your year of study will determine how early or late you will have to come to or leave class. We have rotations at various sites....yet again the list goes on. You will always have a day consumed with something to do...even on the weekends. Its all about time management, dedication, hard work, and determination... doesn't it sound like SOOO MUCH FUN!!:laugh::D:):thumbup::love::naughty:..........

Last edited:
Plain and simple, this school should be shut down. A lot of preceptors in the area have banned their students from rotations since they're not learning anything in the school.

The high passing rate on the NAPLEX and CPJE is because the school PAID for a review course for their students to take prior to the first class graduating.

Last edited:
Plain and simple, this school should be shut down. A lot of preceptors in the area have banned their students from rotations since they're not learning anything in the school.

The high passing rate on the NAPLEX and CPJE is because the school PAID for a review course for their students to take prior to the first class graduating.

I guess those that didn't learn anything, all they needed to do is take the NAPLEX and CPJE review course. If all I need to do is take review courses to pass my boards without any didactic courses or curriculum, then maybe I should skip going to pharmacy "school" and apply to take the boards, but first take the review sessions....that's the key, you're absolutely right!! And who cares if they took a review course. What is that suppose to mean?? Isn't that the same as taking a PCAT, LSAT, MCAT, DAT prep course before taking the exam???...and then passing the exam afterwards! Despite who is paying for it...fact of the matter remains that they passed!

Last edited:
I guess those that didn't learn anything, all they needed to do is take the NAPLEX and CPJE review course. If all I need to do take a review courses to pass my boards without any didactic courses then maybe I should skip going to pharmacy "school" and apply to take the boards, but first take the review sessions....that's the key, you're absolutely right!! And who cares if they took a review course. What is that suppose to mean?? Isn't that the same as taking a PCAT, LSAT, MCAT, DAT prep course before taking the exam???...and then passing the exam afterwards! Despite who is paying for it...fact of the matter remains that they passed!

:thumbup:

:thumbup: I agree :thumbup:

Also interviewed on the 25th. Accepted!:) Phone call 2/6, email 2/7. Good luck to ya all waiting. Will they get fully accredited this year? Please give me your 2 cents.

Yea they will get accredited because 1. It's easy to get accredited. Seems like every school gets it, despite Northstate's first attempt 2. ACPE isn't that evil. Their second class is graduating and Northstate has other classes waiting for it to be accredited also.

My own opinions here.

Interviewed 2/22, accepted 3/14.

I'm skeptical about the lack of a quality facility especially after I visited other campuses. Any current student input? Why this school over others?

There a lot of people speaking nonsense about the school probably because they got rejected or put on the waiting list and are trying to get people to reject the offer of admissions or not apply at all.

Let's be honest for a second. Nobody has EVER said anything bad about this school because of this.

Interviewed 2/22, accepted 3/14.

I'm skeptical about the lack of a quality facility especially after I visited other campuses. Any current student input? Why this school over others?

I agree :thumbup: lack of professionalism too

I wish that the bashing of this school came from current students rather than from the judgement of people who base it off their personal opinion of the school. This would give a more accurate outlook for interested students.

I wish that the bashing of this school came from current students rather than from the judgement of people who base it off their personal opinion of the school. This would give a more accurate outlook for interested students.

I do not like to infer anything, but the fact that current students are being so quiet is a red flag, in my opinion. I am not concerned with the opinion of people who dislike the school due to their displeasure of a new pharmacy school in CA or for whatever reason they hate the school. I am more concerned with WHY the school has not received proper accreditation and what do CURRENT students think about the program.

I have an interview coming up next week so I will be very eager to talk to as many students as I can during the interview.

“Prettycat,” we get it, you do not like the school. I have read your posts from last year about the school, so I can assure you that your opinion has been heard. I think it is time to move on.

I do not like to infer anything, but the fact that current students are being so quiet is a red flag, in my opinion. I am not concerned with the opinion of people who dislike the school due to their displeasure of a new pharmacy school in CA or for whatever reason they hate the school. I am more concerned with WHY the school has not received proper accreditation and what do CURRENT students think about the program.

I have an interview coming up next week so I will be very eager to talk to as many students as I can during the interview.

"Prettycat," we get it, you do not like the school. I have read your posts from last year about the school, so I can assure you that your opinion has been heard. I think it is time to move on.

To be honest with you we are not being quiet we just don't see the purpose in trying to prove a point about how our school is because at the end of the day people are going to think and say what they want despite all of the positive things our school is involved in. As you can see its the same people keep saying negative things about the school yet some of them have the nerve to put in a application:lame:. You don't like the school keep it moving and apply to a school that will suit you. Love us or leave us alone...sheesh!!! Anyways...our dean is making the necessary arrangements to meet the requirements asked of by ACPE ( the requirements are on the website of ACPE). As a current student I personally like the school. Our program is built so that we can learn from and teach each other ( team based learning). In addition, our professors lecture us and give us assignments, quizzes, and readings based on each prepared lesson. We have conventions, committees, clubs, organizations, and other community interests, etc., that we are involved in. By all means it is rigorous, but using time management, constant studying, and reaching out to others and professors, passing a course is do-able. We are staying positive and looking forward to accreditation, because our dean is working hard around the clock to make it happen!

Last edited:
Hello everyone...
I am going to be interviewing for California North State this Friday. Does anyone have any information about the school or possible interview questions?! That would be great if anyone could contact me!
-Trang
[email protected]

If there is nothing to complain about, people will not make posts about it. I am attending another CA school and I have a few things to say. Some professors are not good lecturers yet attendance is important to figure out what wont be tested on exams. I get so tired and bored in class that I wonder how a TBL program would be. It's probably more entertaining and easier to learn the material rather than having a professor talk incessantly and going on tangents and explain things in ways that are harder to comprehend than it actually is. Sometimes I just skip class for these reasons and study on my own!

My interview was set up with one staff or faculty and a student. Unlike my other group mates, I did not get questions asked from a list which would probably consist of generic questions. My interviewer decided to wing it and grill me using hypothetical and situational questions. So it really depends on who you get.

I think the only thing going for this school is the tbl. I think it could be something really special but I do think it is in its developmental stages and there leaves a lot of improvement.

I did think the students and faculty seemed very passionate about the program and the school. The dean even addressed questions about the accreditation issue saying that it was a matter of redoing policies more than anything else.

to everyone who is unsure about this school, I was in the same boat last year when i applied...i wasn't sure if i should come given the accreditation status but i'm glad I did. You'd be surprised how smart our students are...and I believe we proved that given the board exam percentages...our 2012 grads got extremely high scores and a lot have moved on to managerial positions as first time job offers. UCSD didn't pass their first accreditation attempt either, so it's the same situation as us. The TBL is amazing here and the bonding between students is very strong because you work with teams every single day, unless you have midterms, finals, quizzes, etc that are based on individual knowledge.

So I would take advice from students that actually go to the school, not ones that just try to bring down the name...When we get accredited this year, it will be much harder to get into the school for the next class so if you have the chance to come, i suggest you take it...

Students here have so many leadership roles in different organizations that preceptors ask for students from our school, so I don't know where all the negativity came from.

Just a little advice coming from a current P1 who was confused last year trying to make a very important decision. Good luck to you all who applied and stay positive!:)

Also, the school is moving to a better facility about 20 minutes away to combine with the medical school they are opening for the 2014 class. Our school might move for 2014 or 2015 depending on if everything is ready so if you see the campus now, don't judge it automatically. Yes it's small but we are moving to a bigger place....

I gave up my seat. Good luck to those still interested! The tuition was too expensive for me and the lack of federal loans was the deciding factor.

I gave up my seat. Good luck to those still interested! The tuition was too expensive for me and the lack of federal loans was the deciding factor.

When was your interview date?

Hi everyone, I interviewed on March 22, 2013 and was wondering if anyone from that interview session heard from CNUCOP admission committee. I'm feeling a bit nervous.

Hi everyone, I interviewed on March 22, 2013 and was wondering if anyone from that interview session heard from CNUCOP admission committee. I'm feeling a bit nervous.

Nope, I haven't heard from them either.

I interviewed on March 22nd also and got an acceptance letter one week later on 29th. Good luck to those still waiting!

I'm interviewing next week, does anyone have any tips or advice? I'm staying near UC Davis and driving to/from there. Anything on the TBL activity would be helpful too. PM me please!

yes i have.....and? i am asking you in your own personal opinion how does this school lack professionalism....whether or not i have visted other schools is not really relevent. i'm not trying to be mean and you are definately entitled to your own opinion, but when you don't back it up it almost sounds like you are talking out of spite. i recognize through your previous posts that you do not like the school, which is perfectly ok. But what i don't get is why do you continously bash a school that you have no intrest in??

Last edited:
trust me getting waitlisted is way better than getting rejected:thumbup: stay positive, there is rolling admission and not everybody will accept the offer for acceptance. so like i said stay positive, keep your head up and the best of luck to you, :)

Hi, i interviewed for Northstate on late March, and just got the e-mail that i'm waitlisted. I am so disappointed, especially after thinking i did pretty well @ the interview. Any person interviewed on March? How did you guys do?

As for the waitlist, what should i do? the e-mail doesnt say anything on me bing on the "high" waitlist. does that mean i'm not likely to get in? I was so excited about this school, and now i feeling really low. i might have to reapply for 2018.

I just had my interview which was the 2nd to last one. It was a really long day and the tbl exercise was fun, but I don't know if this is the school for me. Some professors don't even lecture?? The fact that it is a new school made it seem like it didn't have many options for residencies or internships yet. The library and study room was just a single room. They emphasize that it's a teaching institution, not a research-focused institution which was kind of a con. They said we should hear back within 6 weeks though. One pro was that housing in the area was affordable.

Well, there are areas that the school could do to improve. The library and study room are a joke and the tuition is overpriced. However, the professors are great and our students are learning (well at least I am). The first class had really high passing rates on both the Naplex and California board exam. The school's own residency program already accredited only after two years. The PGY1 students have been accepted to competitive PGY2 programs. I personally know a lot of the current P4s that matched with residency programs throughout the state and beyond.
It was a bummer that we didn't get accredited last year, I have no doubt we will be accredited in June (otherwise i would be screwed). This is based on what I observed on the improvements the school made, the quality of the faculty, the accomplishments of the current students, and the TBL way of teaching.
TBL is not for everyone. If you are the sort of student that rely on powerpoint, the professors spoon feed you the information and regurgitate all of it back on tests then forget everything afterward, then this school is definitely not for you.

Hello all,

To those who are current students/admitted students or those in the know...in regards to the schools pending Accreditation designation update...are there any updates/movement/signs of success?

Taken from the school website, "If the program continues to develop as planned, full accreditation of the Doctor of Pharmacy program will be considered by the Board at the June 2013 Board of Directors meeting." When exactly is this meeting and how soon after said meeting would a decision be given?

thanks!

Does anyone start applying for loan or looking for housing?

loans- finaid office will not start reviewing loan applications until June. I applied once I was accepted and my application is on hold "pending school certification." I would suggest looking into loans now in case you're not approved for one, you will have supple time to reapply with a cosigner. They ask a lot of financial questions so if you have a cosigner, they should be on the phone or with you to answer them.

housing- i looked around craigslist. 1 bedroom in apartment complexes/gated communities are roughly $600/700 lowest, 2 bedrooms $700/800. For house rentals, a 3 or 4 bedroom would be anywhere from $1200-$1600. There are also 5 bedrooms but I forget the price range...If you have roommates, you can get away with <$400 a month =) if you want to live solo b/c you have a lot of pet peeves, be prepared to pay more -____- also, if you have in laws or rent from a family, it is also cheaper...my mom's friend is renting her garage turned into 1 bedroom apt for $500 including utilities.

*most rental places also allow dogs/cats =D

loans- finaid office will not start reviewing loan applications until June. I applied once I was accepted and my application is on hold "pending school certification." I would suggest looking into loans now in case you're not approved for one, you will have supple time to reapply with a cosigner. They ask a lot of financial questions so if you have a cosigner, they should be on the phone or with you to answer them.

housing- i looked around craigslist. 1 bedroom in apartment complexes/gated communities are roughly $600/700 lowest, 2 bedrooms $700/800. For house rentals, a 3 or 4 bedroom would be anywhere from $1200-$1600. There are also 5 bedrooms but I forget the price range...If you have roommates, you can get away with <$400 a month =) if you want to live solo b/c you have a lot of pet peeves, be prepared to pay more -____- also, if you have in laws or rent from a family, it is also cheaper...my mom's friend is renting her garage turned into 1 bedroom apt for $500 including utilities.

*most rental places also allow dogs/cats =D

Thanks a lot for the info. May I ask which private loan did you apply? The only option for me is Edsouth b/c they don't require co-signer, but the maximum amount to borrow is just 55k, not enough for the cost of attendance. :(