california emt-p aa degree able to use towards a 4 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azerkail

Pre-Alchemy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thinking about an emt-p (a quick google says its a aa degree in emergency medical technology) as an aa degree, use that as a job while working on the last part of a four year degree intending on getting into med school. anyone else do this? is this even a good idea? i'm sick of my pharm tech job... lol

Members don't see this ad.

Unless the four year school you go to accepts/recognizes credits in EMS, most of your paramedic level work won't transfer. In addition, it would usually only transfer as lower level credits unless the school has a 4 year EMS related degree. I saw this happen when I transferred to a 4 year school and had to start as a freshman because they didn't recognize any of my EMS credits.

there are a few bs level emt-p programs that also meet all the prereqs for pa and md programs. loma linda and u.wa come to mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Few others off the top of my head... u of central washington, umbc, western carolina

It all depends on the university system involved. In Georgia public colleges, core courses (english, biology, college algebra, etc.) transfer seamlessly across every school and regardless of major, everyone has to have some of them, even someone with an EMS major in a junior college program. The core courses would all transfer directly, and some of the EMS ones would qualify as elective classes to fill out some of the semester hour numbers required for graduation.

Remember that medical school has no required majors - as long as you have the appropriate pre-requisites (biology, chems, physics, etc.) you can major in PE or music performance or accounting and get into medical school.

thanks for the insight. i'll be looking into loma linda definitely, stone's throw from me.

thinking about an emt-p (a quick google says its a aa degree in emergency medical technology) as an aa degree, use that as a job while working on the last part of a four year degree intending on getting into med school. anyone else do this? is this even a good idea? i'm sick of my pharm tech job... lol

Look into Foothill community College, in Los Altos hills California. They have a contract with San Jose State where you can transfer and with another year are awarded a BS in allied healthcare. Its a lengthy process and I have heard finishing up at Foothills is difficult with the current internship/clinical opportunities, it can take up to a year after the didactic.

Look into Foothill community College, in Los Altos hills California. They have a contract with San Jose State where you can transfer and with another year are awarded a BS in allied healthcare. Its a lengthy process and I have heard finishing up at Foothills is difficult with the current internship/clinical opportunities, it can take up to a year after the didactic.

is that 2 years at foothill than the 1 year at SJS?

is that 2 years at foothill than the 1 year at SJS?

Its lengthy, I believe when all is said and done you need to have a generalized or healthcare related AA already just to be competitive. Then you do the medic program which is a year long (not including your internship) and then you have to transfer and do a year or more. SJ state accepts some of the medic course, not all.

Its been a while since I looked at it so you may want to look into it.

If you want a 4 year there are schools that are more streamline and will offer a bachelors in paramedicine instead of allied healthcare. (non in California that I am aware of though)