Calculate GPA for the year?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I calculate my GPA for this year.

I guess I want to calculate my unweighted right? I got my final grades for the year so I want to see what I got.

Members don't see this ad.

Uh. Just ask your councilor. Just do total points/total hours x 4

Edit: you can probably logic your way to your GPA. 4=A 3=B and so on.

I'd post my grades up but I got a couple C's (math and Chem)

so I kinda don't want to put it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
well we know you got c's now so it doesnt matter. Post em and I will give you your gpa if you want.

A=4
B=3
C=2
D=1

If you took 8 classes and got 7 A's and 1 B

7(4) + 1(3) = 31
31/8 = 3.875

If you took 8 classes and got 4 B's, 3 C's, and 1 D

4(3) + 3(2) + 1(1) = 19
19/8 = 2.375

You get the drift.

Do the same thing for cumulative if you want.

Alright. Yeah, I feel like an idiot for these C's. I could bitch about it and complain but the way I see it is, I can't change the past. Colleges don't care that I go to a crappy public school and that I put in effort and got C's or that my math teacher sucks (even though I am deficient in math). Just gotta move on.

I just don't want this to turn into a "Your a ****** Jeff" thread.

The grades are:

English 12=90=3.30
Chemistry=81=2.00
Gym (3/4 Marking periods)=91=3.30
Writing elective (2 marking periods)=94=3.85
Writing elective II (2 marking periods)=93=3.70
Spanish=91=3.30
History=93=3.70
Algebra II=78:mad:=1.70 :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Accounting=87=3.00

Basically, I feel like an idiot. Fortunately, I somehow am legit still in the AP's I wanted to take. So, I'm either smart or an total idiot or smart but need to buckle the hell up in my science and math classes before I start my year @ the CC.

A=4
B=3
C=2
D=1

If you took 8 classes and got 7 A's and 1 B

7(4) + 1(3) = 31
31/8 = 3.875

If you took 8 classes and got 4 B's, 3 C's, and 1 D

4(3) + 3(2) + 1(1) = 19
19/8 = 2.375

You get the drift.

Do the same thing for cumulative if you want.

We use a +/- system dude.

Colleges don't care that I go to a crappy public school and that I put in effort and got C's or that my math teacher sucks (even though I am deficient in math).

Stop.

Second, maybe you just aren't a scientific/mathematical minded person. Are you good at art? If the classes you are struggling with are science, then a science major might not be for you. People generally do well in classes they like. Either way, don't say you go to a crappy high school just because you don't do well. Adapt.

Anyway, good job with some A-s, at least you are on a sort of positive trend.

We use a +/- system dude.

A+ is a 4.0 (bull****)
A is a 4.0
A- is a 3.7
B+ is a 3.3
B- is a 2.7
C+ is a 2.3
C is a 2.0
C- is a 1.7
D+ is a 1.3
D is a 1.0
D- is a 0.7

Grades below a C- are failing in a lot of courses at my school, including all math courses.

this is what i have for my transcript :D

Fresh: 3.95
Soph: 3.9
Junior: 4.0

out of my school's gpa system (12 pt.)
fresh: 4.11
soph: 3.95
junior: 4.13

this is all unweighted

Last edited:
Well, C is the average...so half should get it. Stop saying "omg she taught me a different way" It's math, lots of new ways are found to teach algebra. JUST LEARN IT. Either way that works. So what if one is different, both will give you the same answer.

Well, C is the average...so half should get it. Stop saying "omg she taught me a different way" It's math, lots of new ways are found to teach algebra. JUST LEARN IT. Either way that works. So what if one is different, both will give you the same answer.

That's true.

The thing is, I would learn what we learned in class and then it would be taught (literally) totally different in class the next day, I would get confused, get a zero on the HW and not see my tutor again until like another two days because it is so expensive to hire a tutor.

I probably should have had her go over material that we would be learning that week so I didn't get that confused. I never thought of that at the time. That prob. could have made a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is what i have for my transcript :D

Fresh: 3.95
Soph: 3.9
Junior: 4.0

out of my school's gpa system (12 pt.)
fresh: 4.11
soph: 3.95
junior: 4.13

this is all unweighted

:thumbup: Wish I cared a few years ago and went to a diff. school. I'd probably have your stats right now.

Oh well.

honestly, if you are having such trouble, stay after class, go during studies, go during lunch etc. This will show your teacher that you are really trying and the more it's drilled into your head, the better off you'll be. Perhaps you might even improve your grades just by showing some insentive.

honestly, if you are having such trouble, stay after class, go during studies, go during lunch etc. This will show your teacher that you are really trying and the more it's drilled into your head, the better off you'll be. Perhaps you might even improve your grades just by showing some insentive.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just deleted the post. No one cares or wants to hear it.

Yeah but my SATs are low (reasoning test anyway, 1960) :thumbdown:, i need to take them again in november

Im a ******* and take standardized tests blind, well i did manage to pull off a 740 in bio m (i took ap bio, made 2 easy mistakes i realized right after shouldve gotten higher)

Yeah but my SATs are low (reasoning test anyway, 1960) :thumbdown:, i need to take them again in november

Im a ******* and take standardized tests blind, well i did manage to pull off a 740 in bio m (i took ap bio, made 2 easy mistakes i realized right after shouldve gotten higher)

I like to take them blind to see where I stand; it's like the legit way to do it, you know?

Didn't feel too good after taking the AP Bio and AP US tests though, heh. Read each book the day before (took about a good 7-8 hours each), didn't soak up too much. Bio especially, because I was missing all of the plants, taxonomy, and human anatomy parts. I know I got at least a 3, but a 5 doesn't seem likely.

I do pretty good on the ACT though without studying, so with some studying I should nail that down strong after summer.

If you are a ******* with those scores then I am profoundly ******ed.

I like to take them blind to see where I stand; it's like the legit way to do it, you know?

Didn't feel too good after taking the AP Bio and AP US tests though, heh. Read each book the day before (took about a good 7-8 hours each), didn't soak up too much. Bio especially, because I was missing all of the plants, taxonomy, and human anatomy parts. I know I got at least a 3, but a 5 doesn't seem likely.

I do pretty good on the ACT though without studying, so with some studying I should nail that down strong after summer.

I'm going to find out how i did on the act blind next week, i took it in june. Honestly, I would be really pissed if i didn't get a 5 in bio. I absolutely loved the class. I knew i did really well on the mult choice, i don't know how i did on the essays though and i feel like they could **** me (my hand had one of those days and it would literally "not move" with me if u know what i mean haha; slow like crazy and with horrible handwriting)

EDIT: i never did US (has nothing to do with med field i want to go in). i did do ap calc though, and its a different story than bio.. if i got a 4 i would be EXTREMELY happy

I loved bio too, and I would've taken the class 4 blocks a day if I could've. My teacher was kind of archaic though and we only went over the microbiology part of the course (definitely the more interesting part, what I'm majoring in for undergrad). His AP review sessions were pretty weak, and I didn't review much on my own, so I only really knew probably 30-40% of the material covered on the AP test. The rest was stuff I had to try to recall from my 6 hour cram session the night before (taxonomy crushed me completely). Great teacher, just too narrow on the teaching.

I think I answered one out of the three essays really well, one of them I did okay on, and one I didn't even try. I don't think I got worse than a 3 (which would be embarrassing because I had 105% in the class when almost everyone else had B's or C's, tests were some real ball busters), but I'm not holding my breath for a 5.

I'm not using the AP Bio credit most likely. WashU (hopefully I go there) only accepts 15 hours worth of AP credit, and I'm probably going to use AP US, AP Euro, and AP English Lit credits and get that crap out of the way (AP US and AP Euro are very interesting classes, but not compared to microbiology).

My teacher, believe or not, actually sat down with us the friday before the exam and guessed what the 4 essays she thought would be on it, and then proceeded to go over them. She guessed the functions of ATP in the body. BAM. I blanked on what GTP was (such a stupid mistake but hey i had already been working for 3 hrs) and left that blank.

Honestly though, i didnt feel like the exam tested how well i knew Biology. It was just like a set of random specific questions, not ever testing if i really got the "full picture." I thought the MC were relatively easy though cuz i was good on the specific stuff

EDIT: i love washU. I don't think my SATs, at the moment, are good enough to get in though :(
for premed here's the schools ive been liking:
WashingtonU St. Louis
Cornell (im instate so it's a little easier to get into)
Holy Cross *have heard great things

top 3 right now

My teacher, believe or not, actually sat down with us the friday before the exam and guessed what the 4 essays she thought would be on it, and then proceeded to go over them. She guessed the functions of ATP in the body. BAM. I blanked on what GTP was (such a stupid mistake but hey i had already been working for 3 hrs) and left that blank.

Honestly though, i didnt feel like the exam tested how well i knew Biology. It was just like a set of random specific questions, not ever testing if i really got the "full picture." I thought the MC were relatively easy though cuz i was good on the specific stuff

EDIT: i love washU. I don't think my SATs, at the moment, are good enough to get in though :(
for premed here's the schools ive been liking:
WashingtonU St. Louis
Cornell (im instate so it's a little easier to get into)
Holy Cross *have heard great things

top 3 right now

You could get into holy cross pretty easily I would imagine.

I'm instate for WashU, going up to their summer scholars program starting July 12-August 14 (can't wait). They look like they have a really solid microbiology/immunology program and philosophy too (probably double majoring or maybe minoring in one or the other; taking two philosophy courses this summer so that'll guide me).

My teacher just handed me a couple of old tests from like 1998 and said that was probably going to be on it. Didn't help much. Earlier in the semester I figured most of the test would be the microbiology and genetics we were learning in class, after he handed me those tests I realized I was way off and went to get that book. I wasn't even sure if I was taking the AP test or not until like a week before. We signed up in March to take the tests, and I wasn't planning on using the AP bio for credit, so I couldn't remember whether or not I signed up for it just for ****s. I later found out I did heh.

I got a 29 on the ACT with no prior studying. The geometry tore me apart. Got like a 34 on the reading and english, 27 on math and science (such a bs section). Math is easy to study for, so I can ramp that up to probably a 35 or 36. That alone would raise my score to probably 32-33. Put in some more time studying for science, hope for some luck on the reading/english/science, and probably get a 34+. Hoping...

Yeah..I know that. I even won the College of the Holy Cross Book Prize at my school :thumbup:. I haven't considered them specifically yet, but schools like Johns Hopkins and Tufts i guess i should look at too if i get my sats up. Im going to find out on june 24 :eek:, hopefully ill do like a 31 . My essay was so so bad though i dont know haha. if i do a 31, ill study for the acts over the sats because they'd be easier to score higher on. time killed me on hte science section

ahh i really wanted to do the summer scholars program at washu. my parents wouldn't pay for it though

I qualified for a huge scholarship and managed to rake up the rest somehow.

I kind of wanted to do their inquiry biology class but it's impossible to fit it with anything else. So I'm taking a couple of philosophy courses that look pretty awesome.

Yeah, I just deleted the post. No one cares or wants to hear it.

That is very correct :)

However , you should be proud you got a 91 in spanish! I am jealous , my final/overall grade for both Spanish 1 and 2 is 75.9 ( C ) , so yea you're lucky there . That's something you must be good at .

[/B]

That is very correct :)

However , you should be proud you got a 91 in spanish! I am jealous , my final/overall grade for both Spanish 1 and 2 is 75.9 ( C ) , so yea you're lucky there . That's something you must be good at .

I'm still not happy, lol.

I'm a perfectionist.

I'm a perfectionist.

So am I but I am not unhappy 24/7 . Regardless of being a perfectionist you still must be content within yourself or it'll show in your work , that's my theory anyways .

Alright. Yeah, I feel like an idiot for these C's. I could bitch about it and complain but the way I see it is, I can't change the past. Colleges don't care that I go to a crappy public school and that I put in effort and got C's or that my math teacher sucks (even though I am deficient in math). Just gotta move on.

I just don't want this to turn into a "Your a ****** Jeff" thread.

The grades are:

English 12=90=3.30
Chemistry=81=2.00
Gym (3/4 Marking periods)=91=3.30
Writing elective (2 marking periods)=94=3.85
Writing elective II (2 marking periods)=93=3.70
Spanish=91=3.30
History=93=3.70
Algebra II=78:mad:=1.70 :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Accounting=87=3.00

Basically, I feel like an idiot. Fortunately, I somehow am legit still in the AP's I wanted to take. So, I'm either smart or an total idiot or smart but need to buckle the hell up in my science and math classes before I start my year @ the CC.

I think you've got a couple of these wrong Jeff... why is an 81 a 2.00, and a 78 a 1.70?

Shouldn't it be a 3.0 and 2.7?

Honestly, I wish we had the +/- scale at my school, it really stinks when you have one 89 and it's considered a 3.0 the same as an 80, but then again they do rank by percentage so it doesn't matter all that much.

I hate the +/- scale. I never get +'s, only -'s (except A+'s haha way to screw me system).

Now if A+'s were 4.3's on a legit scale then I'd like it. Otherwise it's just lame.

We can only get over a 4.0 with AP credit... if you think about it though, that just means that you have a better chance of getting a 4.0... they could have made an A a 3.75 or something...

We get a 5.0 (scale) if you take 4 honors or weighted classes (out of 8) each year, with 3 your senior year. The problem with this is that there's a lot of easy "honors" and "weighted" courses, so you have cheerleaders taking easy ass classes that have a higher GPA than me when I'm making mostly A's in 4-5 AP classes.

I wish A+ was a higher scale because it gives room to improve. Why should I aim for 110% in that course, doing all of the extra credit and really trying to get 100% on every single test when the rest of the class just does bare minimum, makes a 93.5%, and gets the same grade and recognition as I do?

I mean yea it feels good having 105% and being able to completely bomb anything and everything and still have a high A, but if you're that strong of a student its not like you're afraid of dropping to an A- anyway.

Hmm, I dunno, I tend to make silly mistakes on tests so I'm not normally one who gets over 100 on a test (haha, true story... when I got my first 101 on a precal test I though the teacher was writing lol...), and when I do I'll usually slack off a bit in that class and put my attentions elsewhere.

I can understand how it would be upsetting though.

I think you've got a couple of these wrong Jeff... why is an 81 a 2.00, and a 78 a 1.70?

Shouldn't it be a 3.0 and 2.7?

Honestly, I wish we had the +/- scale at my school, it really stinks when you have one 89 and it's considered a 3.0 the same as an 80, but then again they do rank by percentage so it doesn't matter all that much.

I have no idea...I typed this last night I was half asleep.

So am I but I am not unhappy 24/7 . Regardless of being a perfectionist you still must be content within yourself or it'll show in your work , that's my theory anyways .

I guess I don't let it show in my work since I still had good grades I guess?

I'm confused on what you mean here.

We get a 5.0 (scale) if you take 4 honors or weighted classes (out of 8) each year, with 3 your senior year. The problem with this is that there's a lot of easy "honors" and "weighted" courses, so you have cheerleaders taking easy ass classes that have a higher GPA than me when I'm making mostly A's in 4-5 AP classes.

I wish A+ was a higher scale because it gives room to improve. Why should I aim for 110% in that course, doing all of the extra credit and really trying to get 100% on every single test when the rest of the class just does bare minimum, makes a 93.5%, and gets the same grade and recognition as I do?

I mean yea it feels good having 105% and being able to completely bomb anything and everything and still have a high A, but if you're that strong of a student its not like you're afraid of dropping to an A- anyway.

My ( HS) does 4.0 scale , so mine is 3.93 , therefore , I received an A . Other than two Spanish classes of having Cs I don't get Cs . So not bragging :) - average score 94 , many times scored 96 and above ! :D I lived in 100s during my psych classes sighs :love:

BTW this is how my HS does grades-

100-90 - A
89-80 - B
79-70 - C :(
69-60 - D
59-0 - F

You do , by instead of making action on improving your math scores , you seem to drown in self pity , you being a perfectionist seems to disable you in that subject is what I mean dear . You're not even happy where you do excel , and Spanish is not an easy sub to get 91 on ! I'm happy for you and it's not even me ! :)

Me at Jeff to get him studying math - :poke:

Last edited:
Only C I've gotten was in geometry honors. I have no idea why I took that class instead of regular geometry. Regular geometry was a breeze from what I heard, just show the teacher the same piece of paper as your homework each day and you get an A. Instead I took geo honors and barely passed. Horrible teacher too; that was during sophomore year, and I didn't really even try.

Even with a 4.6 GPA I'm ranked like 60/430. I made a lot of B's my fresh/soph years because I had a completely different mindset and didn't care. Word to the wise: don't screw off at a school where all of the non AP courses have insane grade inflation. You may be one of the smartest kids in the school, but your rank will drop exponentially quick. I think we have 12 valedictorians. Ridiculous.

My ( HS) does 4.0 scale , so mine is 3.93 , therefore , I received an A . Other than two Spanish classes of having Cs I don't get Cs . So not bragging :) - average score 94 , many times scored 96 and above ! :D I lived in 100s during my psych classes sighs :love:

100-90 - A
89-80 - B
69-60 - D
59-0 - F

You do , by instead of making action on improving your math scores , you seem to drown in self pity , you being a perfectionist seems to disable you in that subject is what I mean dear . You're not even happy where you do excel , and Spanish is not an easy sub to get 91 on ! I'm happy for you and it's not even me ! :)

I started review my algebra II/SAT math yesterday. I also have AP stuff I have to do for next year.

100-90 - A
89-80 - B
69-60 - D
59-0 - F

At my HS we didnt do +/- but you needed 93 for A. Not sure of the rest, I pretty much just knew 93+=A under=B lol.

But yeah, I hate the +/- system in college, if we didn't have it I would have like a 3.97 but oh well. What I really hate is schools that actually do 4.3 A+s in college and people get to put it on applications. It's stupid to have a +/- system with each letter having a - but one missing a +. Silly school admins. :)

Only C I've gotten was in geometry honors. I have no idea why I took that class instead of regular geometry. Regular geometry was a breeze from what I heard, just show the teacher the same piece of paper as your homework each day and you get an A. Instead I took geo honors and barely passed. Horrible teacher too; that was during sophomore year, and I didn't really even try.

Even with a 4.6 GPA I'm ranked like 60/430. I made a lot of B's my fresh/soph years because I had a completely different mindset and didn't care. Word to the wise: don't screw off at a school where all of the non AP courses have insane grade inflation. You may be one of the smartest kids in the school, but your rank will drop exponentially quick. I think we have 12 valedictorians. Ridiculous.

How do you have a 4.6 with a C and lots of Bs?:confused: I think the class following mine had 3 valedictorians, 12 is crazy! I guess atleast it means you've got a pretty good chance of being one lol.

Well lots of B's might be a slight exaggeration. I probably had about a 50/50 spread of A's and B's my freshman and sophomore year. Unweighted was about a 3.4.

This year I had all A's except one B- (physics...) and an A- (also physics...). That brought my GPA up quite a bit.

I was wrong on the ranking. 80/423, even better. :rolleyes:

I started review my algebra II/SAT math yesterday. I also have AP stuff I have to do for next year.

Good :) Now if I was your math tutor I'd have you on a rigorous schedule :)

Work my lil math slave work ! :poke:

Okay Maygyver , please explain what is a +/- system exactly ? that deeply confuses me :confused:

BAHAHA.

Steph...