Cal Northstate c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Because I did not lie and tell them I have the money.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol yup, I'm sure that's why you were rejected. And again, thanks for bragging about my gpa in your signature for me, I'm flattered.

Back in June, the website says the incoming class will only have 50-60 students. Now, it is 88 students!? I knew the school was accepting anyone who has the money to fork out the private tuition.

Ask your school how they are planning to find clerkship sites for all of these students esp since there are a whole bunch of pharmacy schools in California. This for profit school is just greedy! Remember how their pre candidate application had to be withdrawn because they did not even rent a building? It would not surprise me if the school starts to fail a lot of students in order to keep the student to professor ratio in acceptable range.[/quote]

Omg, listen to yourself! I have no idea where you get those numbers from. Since when the hell did CNCP said that they are going to accept 50-60 students. I followed up with the school closely from the start until now. We've have never given out that number before. CNCP stated that they will accept 80 students for their first year. Which is very reasonable, right? Since they might feel that students might drop out because of financial purposes, we accepted over the intended number, make sense? I don't know where you got your stats from, or what your logic might be. As far as I know, every single one of the students are passing right now, and uhh, the semester is close to coming to an end. I don't think the purpose of pharmacies schools is to weed out their students. If that's the case, aren't you suppose to be afraid of your pharmacy school too? What an idiot!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current student of Cal northstate, I can say that yes, it is a little disorganized. But hey, it's expected bc it's a new school. Do I think they are on the right track? yes they are. The dean is very qualified and he knows what he is doing. This program will only get better as the years go by..

As far as the learning, I think we are learning more than the other pharmacy schools. We are already learning a lot of the key diseases and the drugs that accompany them. I have friends who are in their second and third years of pharm school and they are blown away that we are learning all these diseases and drugs in the first semester. The program is very intense, we literally have quizzes every single day but it is doable as long as you stay on top of things. The plus is that we get Fridays off this semester and next semester!

As far as interviews, they are changing it from last year. last year it was a 2 on 1 interview with the usual questions, "why pharmacy" and all the other basic questions. This year, it is different because it is a team based learning school if you guys didn't know that. You will get interviewed by faculty and students this year (don't PM me because I didn't choose to be on the student panel lol). The only bad thing I can say concerns the Sallie Mae loan. It is a high interest loan and if you or your cosigner don't have good credit, then it's going to be very difficult to get it. But, they are working hard on other options.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me.

BTW, CNCP never said they would apply 50-60 students. It has always been at least 80!! as far as how are they going to find clerkship sites, we are starting our Pharmacy experiences (IPPE's) next semester so it looks like they did not have a difficult time finding sites..plzz don't post anything if you have no idea what you are talking about...and wth would they want to fail a lot of students?? they are going to make sure that everyone succeeds because if a lot of ppl fail, then they won't get full acc. duuuhhh!

Have you guys heard anything about there only being 2-3 interview dates?

Have you guys heard anything about there only being 2-3 interview dates?

That is absolutely not true, Allright! So far we've received over 800 applicants and each interview date will consist of about 52 candidates. You do the math. Having only 2-3 interview dates for that many applicants received so far does not make sense right? Where did you people hear these types of rumors from. Boggles my mind that such rumors are spreading when those individuals have no credibility or affiliations with the school.

posted by Calisoca in another thread
There is no interview in November, it's December 5th. I was told there will be 2-3 interview dates maximum for the Fall 09 class. One on December 5th, and 1-2 in January at some point. I have already put down my deposit for Touro and will almost certainly attend but I'm going to hit up this interview to see how things go since I already put in the time and $.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=556012

That is absolutely not true, Allright! So far we've received over 800 applicants and each interview date will consist of about 52 candidates. You do the math. Having only 2-3 interview dates for that many applicants received so far does not make sense right? Where did you people hear these types of rumors from. Boggles my mind that such rumors are spreading when those individuals have no credibility or affiliations with the school.

Actually rather than spark "rumors" I chose to call and speak with Gail Kubat, admissions advisor, on the phone and this was the information she gave to me directly. Is that a good enough affiliation for you? Either you are the one speaking on nothing, or she lied to me.

FYI. The next interview date after Dec. 5th is Jan. 30th.

Last edited:
Has anyone received additional information in regards to the Dec 5th interview? The last thing I got from them was a email back in October saying they'll send me more information shortly.... and its been a month already :confused:

Ya, I ranted about this at the end of the first page. It's pretty unsettling that the interview is about 2 weeks away and they still havn't even given a time or location.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working on the supp app right now. What's the ideal length?

As a current student of Cal northstate, I can say that yes, it is a little disorganized. But hey, it's expected bc it's a new school. Do I think they are on the right track? yes they are. The dean is very qualified and he knows what he is doing. This program will only get better as the years go by..

As far as the learning, I think we are learning more than the other pharmacy schools. We are already learning a lot of the key diseases and the drugs that accompany them. I have friends who are in their second and third years of pharm school and they are blown away that we are learning all these diseases and drugs in the first semester. The program is very intense, we literally have quizzes every single day but it is doable as long as you stay on top of things. The plus is that we get Fridays off this semester and next semester!

As far as interviews, they are changing it from last year. last year it was a 2 on 1 interview with the usual questions, "why pharmacy" and all the other basic questions. This year, it is different because it is a team based learning school if you guys didn't know that. You will get interviewed by faculty and students this year (don't PM me because I didn't choose to be on the student panel lol). The only bad thing I can say concerns the Sallie Mae loan. It is a high interest loan and if you or your cosigner don't have good credit, then it's going to be very difficult to get it. But, they are working hard on other options.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me.
Hi, I just had a question. I been invited for the dec. 5th interview day. they said that they will send us some type of a article or a journal and this is what will be used for the writing assessment also. so do you or anyone else know what the journal or the article will be about. also, the interview portion, since there will be so many people interviewing that day, is it like group interview like at touro? BTW, everyone else, Gale emailed me back today and she said we would receive the article or the journal a week prior to the interview day.

Has anyone received additional information in regards to the Dec 5th interview? The last thing I got from them was a email back in October saying they'll send me more information shortly.... and its been a month already :confused:
Gale emailed me back today and said that they had a meeting today and will be mailing packets during this week.

I received an emailed as well, but it was only directions on how to get to the school. Thanks for the update and additional information pharmacistmandy, greatly appreciated! :)

Question. Has anyone received the packet with the reading materials/journals yet?

anybody else here get the jan. 30th interview?

Question. Has anyone received the packet with the reading materials/journals yet?

They like to take their time and make you wait.

I predict once a few students are kicked out of the school, you will start to see some nasty posts about how the school treated them.

I predict once a few students are kicked out of the school, you will start to see some nasty posts about how the school treated them.

Why do you have negative attitude toward this new program? Do you have friends who go there?
I'd like to think that we should give this program a chance to show its potential in providing excellent education.

The reason why he's being so negative about the school is because he got rejected the first time. You guys should research some of his previous post from June or so regarding his opinion for this school. He's a very bitter individual. Then he goes and says he got rejected because he told the school he doesn't have the money to attend the school. Does that make any sense when almost all of us at the school does not have $36,000 a year to attend the school but yet we got accepted and we're still here attending the school? Also, what Pharmacy school do you know who does not have a least one student who fails during each academic year??? UOP UCSF? Nope, sorry son!! They do have students failing left and right, because pharmacy school is very intense. Dose this mean that UOP or any other of those schools kick their students out because THEY fail??!! Not even that, they even gave them chances to repeat classes!! So what's the big deal, if we happen to hold them back for a semester or an academic year if the students perform poorly in academics?? Your arguments are like a 5 year old's. As a future pharmacist, take this as a lesson, "Think twice, speak once" so you won't kill your patients or make a fool out of yourself.

You guys must either have rich parents or you are oblivious to what you are getting yourself into applying to this school.

They are not accredited, so you can't apply for federal loans. Private loans accure interest while you are in school and at a higher interest rate.

40K a year HAHAHA that is 160K, plus interest from private loans, you will be 200K-220K in debt when you graduate. I hope you don't have any undergrad debt or other loans. You are also in a saturated market where jobs are going to be tough to get when you graduate, especially with the new schools in California graduating so many new students at the same time.

200K at 8.25% interest(private) is $2500 a month for 10 years. You're going to live like an elementary school teacher, if you even have a job.

Wake up and get the salary.com dollar signs out of your eyes, and don't apply to a ripoff school like this.

I just checked my email today and found that Gale had sent the article as an attachment. How are you guys studying this, does anyone know if the written assignment is going to based on the detail of the article or general knowledge on the article??????????????

hmm, i received an interview in the last cycle, but I know i will be put on the waiting list anyways since their first class is already full. So, this time, i am going to apply again.
Man, i just submitted my application to a school the requires a cirriculum vitae, and I was reading over it agian and found several mistakes.omg..would this greatly effect my application?

I just checked my email today and found that Gale had sent the article as an attachment. How are you guys studying this, does anyone know if the written assignment is going to based on the detail of the article or general knowledge on the article??????????????

Seeing that article made me even more grateful of my other pharm school options. Sweet moses it's 10 pages on Gout supplemented by a full list of review questions. Not only do you have to study this article, answer the questions, and write an essay on this dull topic; you have to participate in an awkward ice breaker team-based learning exercise grounded in it. Get out your caffeine pills for that one. Since when did an interview to get to know an individual become a full 8 hours of class time?

new schools always have kinks to fix but so do established schools. laws and new research are always changing the way classes are taught so everyone is constantly working out kinks in the way they teach. 88 students is not bad for a class size...the ideal ratio is a 10 to 1 student to faculty ratio and most established schools are not at ideal ratio. 20 students is actually an unusual size for most class sizes. 60 to 80 is more on the small or medium size. 150 is more the large size but a lot of those large size ones are broken into two sites that are 60 to 80 students. it is scary to go to a school that doesn't have have full accreditation but schools have to start somewhere. i heard haiwaii was more of an exception than a rule for new schools. i'm rooting for you cal northstate. i have a friend going there and i hope she does well. let's stop hating on new schools. just focus on getting into one and when you do work on graduating instead of trash talking other schools. we all going to get the same degree...

hmm, i received an interview in the last cycle, but I know i will be put on the waiting list anyways since their first class is already full. So, this time, i am going to apply again.
Man, i just submitted my application to a school the requires a cirriculum vitae, and I was reading over it agian and found several mistakes.omg..would this greatly effect my application?

About the curriculum vitae, I'm the same as you on that.. haha. It was for Pacific University (Oregon). I submitted at the beginning of November. After I found out that I made the mistakes, I sent in a revised copy.... but still haven't heard anything from them. I think I screwed up my chance for that school. :(

A little more information on Northstate that I think prospective students might want to know. I know the school is new, has kinks, etc...I'm not trying to bash them so save your Northstate Cruisader comments, I just feel this was pretty sketch. Anyway:

My last year in undergrad two profs from Northstate came to my school to speak about the program. They were brothers or cousins or something of that nature--I forget. Anyhow, they were psyching everybody up for this new school, ranting and raving about how great everything is there and how strong the faculty is. I left the presentation feeling convinced this school was solid. Well about 2 months later before I sent out pharmcas I got out the pamphlet they gave me, called Northstate to speak with one of them, and what do ya know...they had both quit. There's a myriad of reasons to quit a job but...ehhhhh me thinks this looks like bad news bears. Who knows

to the current students:
How do you like the group based learning
do you feel it helps in learning the material better?

:confused:Is someone still reading the paper for the interview tomorrow?

:sleep:
I am so tired, just wanna go to sleep

:laugh:

so how were the interviews today

new schools always have kinks to fix but so do established schools. laws and new research are always changing the way classes are taught so everyone is constantly working out kinks in the way they teach. 88 students is not bad for a class size...the ideal ratio is a 10 to 1 student to faculty ratio and most established schools are not at ideal ratio. 20 students is actually an unusual size for most class sizes. 60 to 80 is more on the small or medium size. 150 is more the large size but a lot of those large size ones are broken into two sites that are 60 to 80 students. it is scary to go to a school that doesn't have have full accreditation but schools have to start somewhere. i heard haiwaii was more of an exception than a rule for new schools. i'm rooting for you cal northstate. i have a friend going there and i hope she does well. let's stop hating on new schools. just focus on getting into one and when you do work on graduating instead of trash talking other schools. we all going to get the same degree...

finally...someone wise enough to put this in words :thumbup:

By wise I think you mean something more along these lines...+18 for JeremyE30

You guys must either have rich parents or you are oblivious to what you are getting yourself into applying to this school.

They are not accredited, so you can't apply for federal loans. Private loans accure interest while you are in school and at a higher interest rate.

40K a year HAHAHA that is 160K, plus interest from private loans, you will be 200K-220K in debt when you graduate. I hope you don't have any undergrad debt or other loans. You are also in a saturated market where jobs are going to be tough to get when you graduate, especially with the new schools in California graduating so many new students at the same time.

200K at 8.25% interest(private) is $2500 a month for 10 years. You're going to live like an elementary school teacher, if you even have a job.

Wake up and get the salary.com dollar signs out of your eyes, and don't apply to a ripoff school like this.

I wholeheartedly agree! These people better pray that they get a high paying job in a saturated market because Sallie Mae will be on their a** like white on rice. :laugh:

+18 for bluesickle then as well.

I think CalNorth is not as bad as some people thought

They will admit ~90 students this year, not too many

We expenriced some Team-based learning during the interview
If you like it, you can learn well
If you hate it, you can't learn by yourself and you will hate the school as well

The Dean is very nice, so are other profressors

They still are not able to get good rate loan
So you need think about it

Anyways, it's still new, need some or a lot improvment

Maybe canbe you PlanB, if you don't get in other school
:luck::luck:

I think CalNorth is not as bad as some people thought

They will admit ~90 students this year, not too many

We expenriced some Team-based learning during the interview
If you like it, you can learn well
If you hate it, you can't learn by yourself and you will hate the school as well

The Dean is very nice, so are other profressors

They still are not able to get good rate loan
So you need think about it

Anyways, it's still new, need some or a lot improvment

Maybe canbe you PlanB, if you don't get in other school
:luck::luck:

True.

One question, should we send thank you card to the interviewers/student interviewers? If yes, I have a problem, one of the interviewers was a guest and I don't have his email address nor other info.
thanks

True.

One question, should we send thank you card to the interviewers/student interviewers? If yes, I have a problem, one of the interviewers was a guest and I don't have his email address nor other info.
thanks

I think I won't send it
I could not get the full name of the 2 professors interviewed me
But it will be nice you send one
Anyways I don't think it will make a big difference if they will take you or not

By the way, which group are you in?:p

--

Last edited:
I think I won't send it
I could not get the full name of the 2 professors interviewed me
But it will be nice you send one
Anyways I don't think it will make a big difference if they will take you or not

By the way, which group are you in?:p

Right, I probably won't be neccessary.
I'm in group 1-3 :p
which group were you in?

JE30: grow up. It's not even funny. I wonder how Mercer accepted you in the first place.

Right, I probably won't be neccessary.
I'm in group 1-3 :p
which group were you in?

JE30: grow up. It's not even funny. I wonder how Mercer accepted you in the first place.

:p
Same here, I was in team 1-3

Agree, Mercer just didn't see JE30's ture color

I was accepted because I have a high gpa, high pcat, years of pharmacy experience, bachelors degree, etc... I am also smart enough to know when to avoid a scam. You guys will be $200,000+ in debt if you go to this school. Northstate doesn't even have regional accreditation, enjoy fighting off the loan sharks for the rest of your life with your $200K+ private student loans, don't say that you were not warned.

I was accepted because I have a high gpa, high pcat, years of pharmacy experience, bachelors degree, etc... I am also smart enough to know when to avoid a scam. You guys will be $200,000+ in debt if you go to this school. Northstate doesn't even have regional accreditation, enjoy fighting off the loan sharks for the rest of your life with your $200K+ private student loans, don't say that you were not warned.

You are smart?:eek:
Yeah, you only know how to count the money

You have high gpa? It also depends which school you attended
High PCAT? How many times did you take?:laugh::laugh:
Who are you? We don't know you. you can talk whatever you want here

wish you good luck in school:cool:
Even you will have high gpa in pharm school, doesn't mean you will be a good pharmacist in the future

JE30: Think what you want to think and live your life thinking for yourself only.
thanks for warning.

52PharmD: we'll probably know the results after the New Year right?

52PharmD: we'll probably know the results after the New Year right?

Yes, I think so
good luck

Let me know if you hear some good news first

:luck::love:

Yes, I think so
good luck

Let me know if you hear some good news first

:luck::love:

Thanks
Good luck to you too. Who know we might be classmates :love:
I'll sure let you know the GOOD news.:thumbup:

So, I got an interview invite for the January 30th interview date. Where do you fly into, which city?? Sacramento? Where is the college in relation to where you fly into? Thanks for the info!!