CA Northstate Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
people criticize because they are just looking out for their fellow man, that's all..
it would be tragic to here a coupla people on this board excited they got into _________ and then hearing them post 7 months later that they were scammed and lost 30 grand

Members don't see this ad.

And fyi, the only reason they didn't have their meeting with the acpe in january, was because the dean thought it best to postpone the meeting until the building was finished

If the meeting with the ACPE has been postphoned, why is their website not reflecting its current status?

CNCP's website said:
An on-site evaluation will occur during fall 2007. The ACPE Board of Directors will meet in January 2008, to consider the College's application. The College will be notified of the Board's decision as soon as feasible following the meeting.

http://www.calnorthstate.org/acpe.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe because they are busy interviewing potential candidates.

Maybe because they are busy interviewing potential candidates.

HAHA. good one. Is that also why they released their apps 2 month later than most schools and couldn't get a building ready for ACPE on time?

On a serious note, here is my experience with North State. WHen i found out that there will be a new school in cali, i was thrilled and excited. I called them and left a message to ask for more info. They never called me back. I called back two weeks later ( July), the dean told me that he will proly require pcat and for be set up with pharmcas for sure very soon. In August, i called back and he said he could not set up with pharmcas cause the school is not accredited. I decided I will not bother my LOR again for this school. I was pissed that the dean did not think ahead of time to release the app early, like Sullivan did.

HAHA. good one. Is that also why they released their apps 2 month later than most schools and couldn't get a building ready for ACPE on time?

On a serious note, here is my experience with North State. WHen i found out that there will be a new school in cali, i was thrilled and excited. I called them and left a message to ask for more info. They never called me back. I called back two weeks later ( July), the dean told me that he will proly require pcat and for be set up with pharmcas for sure very soon. In August, i called back and he said he could not set up with pharmcas cause the school is not accredited. I decided I will not bother my LOR again for this school. I was pissed that the dean did not think ahead of time to release the app early, like Sullivan did.

Schools like this one make me nervous....Especially when they ask for a huge tuition...I dont like to gamble that big...tooo risky....

There is no reason to compare hicp and northstate. Seems like this whole thread is to find the similarities between the two and the "what ifs" to find every worst case scenarios possible. These are two completely different schools that have NOTHING at all in common. You can easily pick and choose ANY school and compare it to hicp and criticize that school for its "similarities" with hicp. "I bet UCSF is this and that because this and that happened to hicp..." cmon guys....

take a look at the deans curriculum vitae:

http://www.calnorthstate.org/_shared/docs/David%20Hawkins%20-%20Curriculum%20Vitae.pdf

He has been:
1) associate dean of South University COP
2) Senior associate dean of Mercer COP
3) assistant dean at University of Georgia COP

and:
4) taught at numerous pharmacy schools as well.
5) won numerous awards and been apart of numerous research projects

I highly highly doubt that he wants to add "started a new school, collected the students tuitions, and fled the country" to his list of accomplishments. He has a very strong background in the field of pharmacy, and has numerous years of experience in being a dean and a professor of pharmacy. And now after all this experience, he decided he had it in him to build his own school and make history. And why wouldn't he have the capacity to do so; he has only been practicing in the field of pharmacy education for 30+ years. He has gained much recognition, and has had an honorary career thus far. So I trust him and the school.

there are some that like to wait and wait, other students don't, nothing gonna stop them from waiting unless they get accepted to somewhere else, but bummer if they don't!...i predict that when northstate find out that it's not accredited, this thread will probably go dead until; otherwise, continue on and keep guessing...

take a look at the deans curriculum vitae:

http://www.calnorthstate.org/_shared/docs/David%20Hawkins%20-%20Curriculum%20Vitae.pdf

He has been:
1) associate dean of South University COP
2) Senior associate dean of Mercer COP
3) assistant dean at University of Georgia COP

and:
4) taught at numerous pharmacy schools as well.
5) won numerous awards and been apart of numerous research projects

I highly highly doubt that he wants to add "started a new school, collected the students tuitions, and fled the country" to his list of accomplishments. He has a very strong background in the field of pharmacy, and has numerous years of experience in being a dean and a professor of pharmacy. And now after all this experience, he decided he had it in him to build his own school and make history. And why wouldn't he have the capacity to do so; he has only been practicing in the field of pharmacy education for 30+ years. He has gained much recognition, and has had an honorary career thus far. So I trust him and the school.

I respect his career. However, the way the school has conducted it self in terms of planning and student relation leaves a lot to be desired. I explained what i mean by that in my previous posts.

again I am not making any kind of predictions abt this school's future, just stating my experience with it. The reasons others are making HICP comparions is bc both schools are stand alone school coming out of nowhere to be privately funded.

I emailed ACPE regarding CNCP's status and the story from this thread is pretty much verified. I wanted to copy and paste the email here but it's apparently against the law so... sorry people.

In any case, I still have an interview with them on 1/28, but my intention is just to get more info and write about my experience here on SDN since I know a lot of future applicants are probably just waiting for whatever new things they can get in regards to CNCP. Despite all the negativity and skepticism however, I still believe that as the Charter Class, they do need more applicants like Indianpharmer who have more optimism and faith about the future of this school even though it appears they are outnumbered gazillion to one. I think one key thing many of the "sideliners" are forgetting is that we as a society are not COMPLETELY hopeless... meaning that we CAN learn from our mistakes... and so hopefully HICP has served as that role for new pharmacy schools to learn from :eek:.

I emailed ACPE regarding CNCP's status and the story from this thread is pretty much verified. I wanted to copy and paste the email here but it's apparently against the law so... sorry people.

Can u summarize what the email said. Some guy on this board said the acpe meeting is in february, i heard it's in june. Which is correct? What did ACPE say about the future of this organization/school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can u summarize what the email said. Some guy on this board said the acpe meeting is in february, i heard it's in june. Which is correct? What did ACPE say about the future of this organization/school?

ACPE said CNCP was not on the January meeting agenda because the school asked not to be considered, and that a "focused on-site evaluation" is scheduled for spring 2008. CNCP's pre-candidate status will remain unknown until after the June 2008 meeting.

The council didn't say anything else about the school, only that "The College still does not have any accreditation status with ACPE", and that "Any additional information can be obtained from the College."

ACPE said CNCP was not on the January meeting agenda because the school asked not to be considered, and that a "focused on-site evaluation" is scheduled for spring 2008. CNCP's pre-candidate status will remain unknown until after the June 2008 meeting.

The council didn't say anything else about the school, only that "The College still does not have any accreditation status with ACPE", and that "Any additional information can be obtained from the College."

Thanks. the guy who was bragging about the school and claimed ACPE status will be obtained in February was obvious wrong about one thing....

I'm not a guy. And I could have sworn the meeting was postponed till next month for the evaluation.

Nah, it's in June everyone....anyway, on a brighter note, we're all going to go bankrupt for the cost of tuition lol ;)

I am so incredibly disappointed by the lack of support that this school is receiving. Don't you people have better things to do than to sit here and ridicule a school that is attempting to get on its own two feet. CA northstate is a perfectly legitimate school. I have had the opportunity to meet with the dean on my interview on friday morning, and he is an amazing person. The amount of experience and competence this man has, will definately take him and this school far. The dean, and the faculty, had so much faith in the program and in the school itself, that I was completely moved. The dean has also devised a curriculum/program that will be focused on making sure the student is learning the material, rather than just memorizing and regurgitating it. This school will be a success whether you want it to be or not, because of its unique program, amazing faculty, and dynamically inspirational dean. And fyi, the only reason they didn't have their meeting with the acpe in january, was because the dean thought it best to postpone the meeting until the building was finished. Which is going to be by the first week of february, not june! Therefore, the meeting will also be next month. This school will, and I repeat, will receive its pre-candidate state, because the dean is one smart and powerful guy, who has so many years of experience and depth to carry him through it with flying colors. Not only that, but my experience with speaking to Dr. Carroll, and Alvin Cheung, showed me that the school already has incredibly experienced and intelligent faculty members who will provide a wonderful foundation for the school. So please do not speak against the school, and post comments saying the school wont get its accreditation. Because when it does, you will be the first to be laughed at for your ignorance. :laugh: Good day to you. live and let live. peace!

Hey pharmer, where are you getting this information? Who are these people anyway? I always used to talk to Dr. Susan L. Ravnan when I call and she no longer works there.

She is one of the members on the CA Board of Pharmacy and I wounder why she left?

That has me worried.

I am so incredibly disappointed by the lack of support that this school is receiving. Don't you people have better things to do than to sit here and ridicule a school that is attempting to get on its own two feet. CA northstate is a perfectly legitimate school. I have had the opportunity to meet with the dean on my interview on friday morning, and he is an amazing person. The amount of experience and competence this man has, will definately take him and this school far. The dean, and the faculty, had so much faith in the program and in the school itself, that I was completely moved. The dean has also devised a curriculum/program that will be focused on making sure the student is learning the material, rather than just memorizing and regurgitating it. This school will be a success whether you want it to be or not, because of its unique program, amazing faculty, and dynamically inspirational dean. And fyi, the only reason they didn't have their meeting with the acpe in january, was because the dean thought it best to postpone the meeting until the building was finished. Which is going to be by the first week of february, not june! Therefore, the meeting will also be next month. This school will, and I repeat, will receive its pre-candidate state, because the dean is one smart and powerful guy, who has so many years of experience and depth to carry him through it with flying colors. Not only that, but my experience with speaking to Dr. Carroll, and Alvin Cheung, showed me that the school already has incredibly experienced and intelligent faculty members who will provide a wonderful foundation for the school. So please do not speak against the school, and post comments saying the school wont get its accreditation. Because when it does, you will be the first to be laughed at for your ignorance. :laugh: Good day to you. live and let live. peace!

Hey pharmer, where are you getting this information? Who are these people anyway? I always used to talk to Dr. Susan L. Ravnan when I call and she no longer works there.

She is one of the members on the CA Board of Pharmacy and I wounder why she left?

That has me worried.

Their deadline for application is April, so I think people who are really paranoid to apply at this school should wait 'til March...that way you dont waste your money and time.

Their deadline for application is April, so I think people who are really paranoid to apply at this school should wait 'til March...that way you dont waste your money and time.

Even if you wait till March, their status is still unaccredited, so you won't know the outcome until the Spring visitation and get words from the June meeting, you're still waisting time and money; the likely that they will start in September is very slime if they do get approved by acpe

Hey IndianPharmer, would you be willing to share how your interview went? Did they ask a lot of questions, how did you feel when you left?

has anyone been accepted to this new pharmacy school yet?

Meet your future idiot pharmacist :)

Aight hotshot what schools you got into then? So far I have USC, UOP and NORTHSTATE. Waiting on Western and Touro. I don't approve of individuals who playa hate as in you hatin on a program that you probably don't know too much about. Get that arrogant stuff out of here man, you're gonna need a better attitude than that if you want to be a sucessful pharmacist.

hey
did you attend sac state?

Aight hotshot what schools you got into then? So far I have USC, UOP and NORTHSTATE. Waiting on Western and Touro. I don't approve of individuals who playa hate as in you hatin on a program that you probably don't know too much about. Get that arrogant stuff out of here man, you're gonna need a better attitude than that if you want to be a sucessful pharmacist.

dude, if u got into USC and UOP, why are u even thinking about going to northstate? USC has some of the best rotation sites out there and one of the top schools. UOP is not too shabby either.

Congrats SacKingsFan!!! When was your Northstate interview and when did you find out that you got accepted?? Your stats must be pretty amazing to get into USC though, good job!!

Why doesn't anyone want to share their experience??!!

lol, you said playa hate

rxist: for some reason I can't message you back. will try again soon!

My friend with a 3.1 did not get accepted to this school (she didnt get denied either, but other people she interviewed with were accepted already so she figured she didn't get in.)

Well it seems as though this school is only accepting top notch students, such as students who have the credentials to be accepted to such schools as UOP and USC, as Sackingsfan above. Obviously such stellar students would choose a well-respected accredited school, over CNS, which is not even pre-candidate status. Going at this rate he wont have any students for the fall! My friend was so disappointed. I am not going to apply to this school:thumbdown:

My friend with a 3.1 did not get accepted to this school (she didnt get denied either, but other people she interviewed with were accepted already so she figured she didn't get in.)

Well it seems as though this school is only accepting top notch students, such as students who have the credentials to be accepted to such schools as UOP and USC, as Sackingsfan above. Obviously such stellar students would choose a well-respected accredited school, over CNS, which is not even pre-candidate status. Going at this rate he wont have any students for the fall! My friend was so disappointed. I am not going to apply to this school:thumbdown:

how did she know she didnt get in. did she get a rejection letter or a phone call?

Can anybody who already had the interview at northstate go over a brief summary of the interview process....i.e. writing section? questions asked? actual length? etc etc....

It's funny, i check to see if the school would update their site, it's been like 3+month. Nop, no updates. Says they will hear from ACPE on Feb 1st. Maybe that's a ploy to get more apps. Not many will apply knowing that they won't know till June. If not they should just offer a 50% off on admission for first yr. I heard HICP offered 4th yr free. I am sorry that's being too mean. Good luck to them.

It's funny, i check to see if the school would update their site, it's been like 3+month. Nop, no updates. Says they will hear from ACPE on Feb 1st. Maybe that's a ploy to get more apps. Not many will apply knowing that they won't know till June. If not they should just offer a 50% off on admission for first yr. I heard HICP offered 4th yr free. I am sorry that's being too mean. Good luck to them.

hicp don't exist (last time i heard), it was a 3 yr program, not sure where the 4th yr come from, was this new or after?

hicp don't exist (last time i heard), it was a 3 yr program, not sure where yet the 4th yr, or :laugh:

If you read up on their history, after year one, they told half their class that they need to repeat year one and stay for 4 yrs, however they would not have to pay for yr 4.

Hey what date was your friend's interview?

Anyone know where their future campus will be?

And it's a 4-yr progam, right? from their website.

I just came back from my interview but I have way too much school work to deal with right now. I will write up my experience and stuff later.

For now I will just say that my friend and I were both IMPRESSED (and yes, we both had interviews at other schools too).

Edits:
Accreditation: ACPE to visit again in April. Decision in June. Dean said he is extremely confident about getting pre-candidate status, in fact more confident than he was when he was at South trying to get the candidate status.
Campus: the temporary one is pretty much ready and will be used for about 5 years or so. It IS the picture you see on the website. Faculty is moving in next week. It is in Rancho Cordova. Ultimately, the final campus will be in Sacramento, but that won't be for another 5 or more years.
Faculty: 10 people so far; another 2 to enter in February. Projected faculty size by Fall 2008 = 15-20.
Applicants: so far 48 have been interviewed, and some have already been accepted.
Class size: 80.

... and I think this one is probably the most important of them all:
The campus was supposed to be occupied by CNCP by the time ACPE had their on-site visit. However, the previous company was still in there even though they were supposed to move out. The CNCP faculty couldn't move into the building and so the Dean decided to withdraw from the January ACPE meeting until ACPE could see the campus with their own eyes (and not just pictures of it, but the real deal).

thanks for the info
its good to hear..

Can anybody who already had the interview at northstate go over a brief summary of the interview process....i.e. writing section? questions asked? actual length? etc etc....

Fairly quick process. First the dean (who is an awesome, amazing guy btw) talks to the group about the school for about 30 min...then you either do the writing sample first or go the the interview first. Interview is about 25min long....basic ques...why this school, tell us about ur self, ur background, then specific ques. pertaining to ur appl. Easy going interview...not really stressful.

Hope that helps.:)

Since 48 of us has been interviewed, how many people do you guys think have been accepted? Maybe about half the amount??

Fairly quick process. First the dean (who is an awesome, amazing guy btw) talks to the group about the school for about 30 min...then you either do the writing sample first or go the the interview first. Interview is about 25min long....basic ques...why this school, tell us about ur self, ur background, then specific ques. pertaining to ur appl. Easy going interview...not really stressful.

Hope that helps.:)

Just to clarify, the interview itself isn't a group interview, but a one on one or two on one?

It is not a group interview, it's 1 person at a time w/2 people interviewing.