C/O 2021 HPSP Thread (Army/AF/Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe this is common knowledge to everyone here by this point but if not I will let it be known, I was talking to my recruiter and he said the army is no longer taking applications for HPSP. He said its been capped off at 125 applicants for the 65 openings.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe this is common knowledge to everyone here by this point but if not I will let it be known, I was talking to my recruiter and he said the army is no longer taking applications for HPSP. He said its been capped off at 125 applicants for the 65 openings.

@ArmyDentistGal any truth to the above quoted statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's unbelievable that Army already reached at 125 applicants at this point.

Trying to brainstorm possible contributing factors:

1) Navy pre-Dec board requires a 22+ on the DAT. Anyone with 21 or less is ineligible to apply early with the Navy.

2) Air Force board already met and handed out the handful of scholarships they had back in August.

So it looks like the Army is really the only way that the vast vast majority of pre-dents can go right now. Some may choose to apply Navy but they can't board until they get an acceptance letter (unless of course they have 22+ on DAT).

Reactions: 1 user
The Army is not starting any new applications. If you already started your application, then you are fine. I wish we still had it open since interviews are still going on. Contributing factors also such include that being an Army dentist is an amazing career! The average DAT/GPA in 2015 was 21/3.69 with no early boarding, and it appears to be getting even more competitive although I've been told that the board will still consider other attributes... prior military service, leadership, commitment to physical fitness, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Looks like I might miss out on the early board for 22+ DAT scores. I'm doing my physical tomorrow and I already passed my blood tests, urine tests, eye exam, and dental exam. Just need to finish my physical and my two interviews to finalize the application. Hopefully it'll be done in time. Anyone know how many scholarships will be handed out for the November boards for the Navy?

Looks like I might miss out on the early board for 22+ DAT scores. I'm doing my physical tomorrow and I already passed my blood tests, urine tests, eye exam, and dental exam. Just need to finish my physical and my two interviews to finalize the application. Hopefully it'll be done in time. Anyone know how many scholarships will be handed out for the November boards for the Navy?

Not sure how many applicants there are, but why is your physical on a different day than blood tests, etc? On my MEPS day, everything happened together.

Not sure how many applicants there are, but why is your physical on a different day than blood tests, etc? On my MEPS day, everything happened together.
I'm doing my checkups and tests at a Navy hospital

Last edited:
Just told today by my recruiter that the next board after the early board will be held in January. Im a little disappointed because I have a 22 AA, even though my recruiter said the January boards will look at the 22+ AA applicants first. Just disappointed because now I'm going to have to factor cost into my dental school decision. Oh well...

Just disappointed because now I'm going to have to factor cost into my dental school decision. Oh well...

If you can swing it, go with multiple deposits after Dec. 1. One for your state school, and one for any dream school that might be cost-prohibitive without the HPSP.

Since the HPSP pays for all tuition, and deposit is part of tuition, you will be reimbursed for the deposit by your service (see my other thread where HPSPers confirmed this) at the school you end up attending.

Reactions: 2 users
If you can swing it, go with multiple deposits after Dec. 1. One for your state school, and one for any dream school that might be cost-prohibitive without the HPSP.

Since the HPSP pays for all tuition, and deposit is part of tuition, you will be reimbursed for the deposit by your service (see my other thread where HPSPers confirmed this) at the school you end up attending.

So just to clarify, they would reimburse me for the deposit of school B if I choose to go with school A?

Members don't see this ad :)
So just to clarify, they would reimburse me for the deposit of school B if I choose to go with school A?

Sorry- I should have been more clear. They will reimburse you for the deposit of School A if you go to A. You lose the deposit for B, but at least it buys you some time to see if you got the HPSP or not.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm just hoping they switch it back to December 1st. My recruiter said that the second board was suppose to meet December 1st and now they switched it. So, it never seems like they are always solid on dates for these boards. I guess I don't need to worry about this stuff until after Dec. 1st.

Thank you.

I'm just hoping they switch it back to December 1st. My recruiter said that the second board was suppose to meet December 1st and now they switched it. So, it never seems like they are always solid on dates for these boards. I guess I don't need to worry about this stuff until after Dec. 1st.

I hear you. Hang in there, man. I have high confidence that you will get good news soon. Looking forward to serving with you. Start practicing the following:

2nd board is available to all in january

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's kind of amazing that those of us vying for an HPSP scholarship will soon know how the next 8 years of our lives will go if we get the scholarship and a dental school acceptance.

4 MORE DAYS
It's kind of amazing that those of us vying for an HPSP scholarship will soon know how the next 8 years of our lives will go if we get the scholarship and a dental school acceptance.

Anchors Aweigh!!!
We are going to join the best Navy in the world!

Only 72 hours till the Selection Board meets.

Reactions: 1 users
for those that were late for the first navy boards and are to be considered for the second boards: did you guys have to take another fingerprint test and submit additional paperwork for clearance? My recruiter instructed me that this was a new policy they implemented a few weeks back and because of this they had to push back the boards from dec 1st to january? Just want to make sure you guys heard the same story/excuse for why they had to move it back. Side note, this additional paperwork apparently takes around 3 weeks to clear lmao

for those that were late for the first navy boards and are to be considered for the second boards: did you guys have to take another fingerprint test and submit additional paperwork for clearance? My recruiter instructed me that this was a new policy they implemented a few weeks back and because of this they had to push back the boards from dec 1st to january? Just want to make sure you guys heard the same story/excuse for why they had to move it back. Side note, this additional paperwork apparently takes around 3 weeks to clear lmao

What the hack? Seems like a small reason to push the board back! I've only taken one set of fingerprints, but my file is not done yet since I'm waiting for one more interview.

Yea i still have to do both of my interviews since my recruiter can't find anyone for me to interview with... I got my fingerprints taken at meps (2.5 weeks ago) and my recruiter called me three days ago saying that a new clearance requires us to go to the sheriffs office and get fingerprinted again..

Also I was told that they are very backed up, and most likely all the 4 year hsps scholarships will be given out by the end of the third boards (2nd boards in january)

Also I was told that they are very backed up, and most likely all the 4 year hsps scholarships will be given out by the end of the third boards (2nd boards in january)

Well I'm suppose to be on the second boards so hopefully I can get a 4-year. I have a 22 AA and I think you have a 25 AA, so my recruiter said that for any boards after the early board they will be looking at the 22+ AA applicants first. I'm just annoyed because I started this in June and my recruiter dragged her feet so much that now I'm missing the early board....

Well I'm suppose to be on the second boards so hopefully I can get a 4-year. I have a 22 AA and I think you have a 25 AA, so my recruiter said that for any boards after the early board they will be looking at the 22+ AA applicants first. I'm just annoyed because I started this in June and my recruiter dragged her feet so much that now I'm missing the early board....

I feel your pain :( They definitely take their time in getting everything set up, and it's not like the next 8 years of our lives are on the line

did you guys have to take another fingerprint test and submit additional paperwork for clearance? My recruiter instructed me that this was a new policy they implemented a few weeks back and because of this they had to push back the boards from dec 1st to january? Just want to make sure you guys heard the same story/excuse for why they had to move it back. Side note, this additional paperwork apparently takes around 3 weeks to clear lmao

Do you need to re-sign the SF86 as well, or is it just the fingerprinting at a local police station?

I believe this. Did you find out how many applicants are boarding in November/early Boards?

Delay in getting to MEPS?

Do you need to re-sign the SF86 as well, or is it just the fingerprinting at a local police station?

I believe this. Did you find out how many applicants are boarding in November/early Boards?

Delay in getting to MEPS?

Just fingerprinting. He told me that those that had their paperwork already in for the first boards were not subject to this additional screening.

No idea about how many people are boarding for November

If only Army had a November board :(
It seems like Army has become REALLY competitive. People used to say that AF is most competitive, then Navy, then Army.
IMO, I think Army may be more competitive than Navy nowadays due to larger number of applicants.

It seems like Army has become REALLY competitive. People used to say that AF is most competitive, then Navy, then Army.
IMO, I think Army may be more competitive than Navy nowadays due to larger number of applicants.

Yep- I know a few people who are applying only with the Army because they don't like ships.

I personally think ships are awesome!

I have been selected for the 3 year Air Force HPSP scholarship. I had to get a waiver for having previous back pain. I went to MEPS and everything was all good there. As part of my initial waiver, I have to have a range of motion consultation with an orthopedic doctor from MEPS. Does anyone know what the consultations are like? My recruiter told me they wouldn't give you a consultation unless they thought you were going to pass it and that is more of a formality to cover themselves in case anything were to happen to you in the future. Does anyone know if that is true?

thanks for the help!

My recruiter told me they wouldn't give you a consultation unless they thought you were going to pass it and that is more of a formality to cover themselves in case anything were to happen to you in the future. Does anyone know if that is true?

I went through something similar with the Air Force.
My recruiter sent me a copy of the Memorandum and it states the following in there:

"3. This letter may be used as authorization to obtain a Medical Examination and the above evaluation needs to be accomplished prior to returning to HQ AETC/SGPS. (Keep in mind this does not guarantee favorable waiver consideration)."

I did not bold the above part- it was bolded in the letter itself.

I went through something similar with the Air Force.
My recruiter sent me a copy of the Memorandum and it states the following in there:

"3. This letter may be used as authorization to obtain a Medical Examination and the above evaluation needs to be accomplished prior to returning to HQ AETC/SGPS. (Keep in mind this does not guarantee favorable waiver consideration)."

I did not bold the above part- it was bolded in the letter itself.

Awesome thank you! What was your consultation like?/ How long did it take for you to find out if you passed?

If accepted into this program, 8 years of our life is set. Truly amazing and exciting!

My recruiter said we should know sometime before thanksgiving... the anxiety continues

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

omg I have been actually waiting for someone to post SOMETHING on this thread. Idk why and what, but it is relieving.
I'm just hoping them to release the results sometime this week
Yeah it's been pretty quiet here. My recruiter said last year they had results on November 21st, but yeah, sometime before Thanksgiving was the best estimate I was given.