Bylaws vote - now closed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quidbert

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 2 users
"Only Active members can hold elective office in the Society. For President-elect they must have been a voting member for at least 10 years, have previous Board experience or significant committee leadership experience and have documented experience/expertise in a broad range of ASTRO activities. For Council Vice-chair, they must have been a voting member for at least 5 years and have documented experience/expertise in the area of their Council's purview, preferably in a senior leadership role. For Secretary/Treasurer-elect, they must have been a voting member of ASTRO for at least 5 years and have an understanding of financial management. The ASTRO Board of Directors can modify the requirements for expertise for potential Board members if they feel it is in the best interest of the Society."

Echo chamber needs stronger echoes

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t care enough to look at all this stuff, but tell me that the workforce people get a seat at the table ?

I don’t care enough to look at all this stuff, but tell me that the workforce people get a seat at the table ?
No chair for workforce issues afaik:

"One (1) shall be held by the Chair of the Clinical Affairs and Quality Council, and
One (1) shall be held by the Vice-chair of the Clinical Affairs and Quality Council
One (1) shall be held by the Chair of the Education Council
One (1) shall be held by the Vice-chair of the Education Council
One (1) shall be held by the Chair of the Government Relations Council
One (1) shall be held by the Vice-chair of the Government Relations Council
One (1) shall be held by the Chair of the Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Council, and
One (1) shall be held by the Vice-chair of the Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Council
One (1) shall be held by the Chair of the Health Policy Council
One (1) shall be held by the Vice-chair of the Health Policy Council
One (1) shall be held by the Chair of the Science Council;
One (1) shall be held by the Vice-chair of the Science Council"

ASTRO is pandering to the diversity/equity crowd but doesn't seem to have an actual interest in making the specialty more attractive to prospective medical students it seems

Reactions: 1 user
"Only Active members can hold elective office in the Society. For President-elect they must have been a voting member for at least 10 years, have previous Board experience or significant committee leadership experience and have documented experience/expertise in a broad range of ASTRO activities. For Council Vice-chair, they must have been a voting member for at least 5 years and have documented experience/expertise in the area of their Council's purview, preferably in a senior leadership role. For Secretary/Treasurer-elect, they must have been a voting member of ASTRO for at least 5 years and have an understanding of financial management. The ASTRO Board of Directors can modify the requirements for expertise for potential Board members if they feel it is in the best interest of the Society."

Echo chamber needs stronger echoes
1639652987927.png

1) The bylaws were last changed in 2019

2) Between 2019 and now, there was a grassroots push to get "outsiders" into elected ASTRO positions (namely, Simul)

3) This new language appears in the bylaws at the end of 2021

To me, this language says "unless you're already one of us, we don't want you". Hey @RealSimulD, congratulations on getting a personal "F you buddy" from our main professional society. That's certainly quite an accomplishment. You should update your CV.

The PEAK IRONY is that this language is introduced concurrently with the HEDI Council. To be considered for ASTRO president, "they must have been a voting member for at least 10 years, have previous Board experience or significant committee leadership experience and have documented experience/expertise in a broad range of ASTRO activities".

In the current ASTRO member census, how many people meet this criteria who AREN'T white men with academic jobs?

I got offered $10k from a prominent neurosurgeon that is involved with radiation oncology to start a competing interest group. That was probably the greatest honor I’ve received.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users