Business Side

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aydinhatemi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am really interested in Rads. I wonder if it is common for rads to involve in business side of this. I mean they already make a fortune. But is it possible to be partner in a practice and also receive the other fees beside reading fee. I belive it will be extremely cool if you can setup your practice and hire other rads also. Is it feasible to buy or lease an MRI machine or hospitals prefer to do it by themselves.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is possible and common for radiologists to own their own practice -- this is the case with most outpatient imaging centers. You can buy or lease equipment, and hire techs. Your radiologist colleagues will likely want to become partners (usually after a 1-3 year salaried position), and partnership is offered with or (in today's market) without a buy-in.

Even in the case of hospital-based imaging, there are many instances where radiologists own an equity-stake in the imaging facility. This can be negotiated with the hospital. The advantage of owning a stake in the equity is you will be paid for the technical as well as the professional fee. The disadvantage is that you will be financially responsible for maintaining and upgrading the equipment.