Why IR is busy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shark2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting article clearly depicts why IR is busy these days despite a huge decline in vascular work.

http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/21040867/abstract/National_fluid_shifts:_fifteen_year_trends_in_paracentesis_and_thoracentesis_procedures_

Important parts of the article:

1- Between 1993 and 2008, paracentesis increased 2 times, but increased 10 times by radiologists.

2- Between 1993 and 2008 thoracentesis procedures decreased by 14%, but increased 4.5 times by radiologists.

3- For paracentesis, radiologist and gastroenterologist procedure shares changed from 16% and 32%, respectively, in 1993 to 74% and 6% in 2008.

4- Those shifts are likely attributable to both the incremental safety of imaging guidance and also the unfavorable economics of these procedures.

Members don't see this ad.

When payments get bundled and we all end up as hospital employees, VIR will do all procedures because nobody will have incentive to do them. The end of turf wars.

Maybe. The bitter truth is, no matter the economy is good or bad and no matter the payment method is fee for service or bundled, IR is doing whatever others refuse to do.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe. The bitter truth is, no matter the economy is good or bad and no matter the payment method is fee for service or bundled, IR is doing whatever others refuse to do.

Good Luck.

Shark as a med student I really appreciate your candid posts. Is IR really that grim? No surgical residency, still get to do procedures, and pay is pretty good. A lot of students on the interview trail have expressed interest in IR.

Love your quote, Shark!!! Don't forget to tell all the people reading, why these great surgical sub-specialties "refuse to do their job".

When payments get bundled and we all end up as hospital employees, VIR will do all procedures because nobody will have incentive to do them. The end of turf wars.

The incentive for vasc surg and cards will be that they have already carved out the turf and it is gone for good unless something much better and more lucrative comes along. There are too many of them who rely on PAD as a significant source of income. There really isn't any way for IR to get PAD and similar stuff back. It is what it is. Can't argue with the data.

Shark as a med student I really appreciate your candid posts. Is IR really that grim? No surgical residency, still get to do procedures, and pay is pretty good. A lot of students on the interview trail have expressed interest in IR.

You are choosing IR for very wrong reasons. You are choosing it as a back door to surgery and also for you perceived money and life style. If you think surgery is tough for you, you are not fit for IR. Do sth else. The same for most people.

A healthy IR practice needs more work and energy compared to many surgical specialties.

Very few IR people choose it for the right reasons. As a result, very few IR people are practicing it in a right way and most are doing in a wrong way to the point that it has changed the face of the field. For example when you look at national data the amount of high end procedures done by IR is depressing and if you want to do right IR, you will have problem finding right group.

The reasons that most people choose IR and all of them are completely worng:

1- Job market: Recent trend. You can not find a job with Neuro fellowship in a large city, but with IR you can. Because you don't really like IR, you don't try to build a practice. YOu just do whatever you find.

2- Hate DR: It happened in late 90s and early 2000s. MS chooses Radiology because he found out on internet that radiologist makes half a million by working 8-5. Now as an R3 you find yourself hating radiology, so you escape it by going to IR.

3- As a back door to surgery: This is the worst one. Unfortunately many MS are doing it. If you think surgery or surgical subspecilaty residencies are tough and are not your type, don't do IR because you are not IR type. As I mentioned before, healthy IR practice works at least as hard as most surgical fields and harder than half of them for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
The incentive for vasc surg and cards will be that they have already carved out the turf and it is gone for good unless something much better and more lucrative comes along. There are too many of them who rely on PAD as a significant source of income. There really isn't any way for IR to get PAD and similar stuff back. It is what it is. Can't argue with the data.

Interventional Radiology: creating new procedures for other specialties since 1971. :laugh:

You really are the biggest broken record on this message board.

Doesn't change the story. You will feel it more doing 10 paras a day in your future IR career. Probably one abscess drainage in the middle gives you some variation.

^ Diagnostic radiologist mentality. #weak

Doesn't change the story. You will feel it more doing 10 paras a day in your future IR career. Probably one abscess drainage in the middle gives you some variation.

Dunno, it's not like it's that different from placing ear tubes all day as an ENT, cystoscopies/prostate biopsies all day as a urologist, Lasik as an ophtho doc. Every specialty has a routine boring moneymaker that they do all the time. At least the radiologist doesn't have to deal with the painful tedium that is the outpatient clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dunno, it's not like it's that different from placing ear tubes all day as an ENT, cystoscopies/prostate biopsies all day as a urologist, Lasik as an ophtho doc. Every specialty has a routine boring moneymaker that they do all the time. At least the radiologist doesn't have to deal with the painful tedium that is the outpatient clinic.

According to my IR colleagues, IR is becoming more and more clinical and is now a clinical service. It seems that you have to see patients like any other service e.g. ENT, Urology, Vascular surgery or ....

According to my IR colleagues, IR is becoming more and more clinical and is now a clinical service. It seems that you have to see patients like any other service e.g. ENT, Urology, Vascular surgery or ....

Sure, but IR clinic is for the more interesting cases like UFE, TACE, etc. I don't think IR docs run clinics or do work-ups for patients who only need a para/thoracentesis or a biopsy. The only thing they need for those simple procedures is a consent form and maybe checking platelets/INR.

even thoracentesis and paracentesis may need a consult as we are starting to offer other things for these patients. For example for malignant pleural effusions we may consider pleurx catheters or chest tube wiht pleurodesis. And for malignant ascites, we may consider pleurx drains as well. For ascites due to portal hypertension we may consider TIPS and on occasion we may consider Denver shunts (IR guided). These interventions have truly improved the quality of life of many of these patients as they can now manage their fluid status on their own at home before they get shortness of breath or symptomatic abdominal distension, This is a great palliative service that we are able to provide our oncology patients as well as our end stage liver disease patients.

But, there is a growing amount of outpatient clinics being done by IR and it is a gamut of patients being seen. Venous disease (varicose veins, dvt, PTS, venous insufficiency, venous malformations), claudicants, wound management (arterial, venous, neuropathic, mixed), fibroids, oncology (renal mass, lung primary or mets, bone mets, adrenal, liver primary and mets); pain is a growing area of practice (esi, rhizotomy, celiac blocks, hypogastric blocks, vertebro, kypho etc); complex abscess drains for diverticulitis, perforated appendicitis, post op infections etc. Not to mention biliary and GU interventions. There is a growing demand for IR services in places with consult only practices with robust outpatient clinics . The lifestyle and hours are much more like surgery than diagnostic radiology, but it is very rewarding and the pathology seen is extremely broad and it keeps us extremely busy.

A lot of interesting things coming down the pipeline (renal artery denervation for treatment of hypertension, prostate artery embolization for BPH, additional treatments for male infertility).

even thoracentesis and paracentesis may need a consult as we are starting to offer other things for these patients. For example for malignant pleural effusions we may consider pleurx catheters or chest tube wiht pleurodesis. And for malignant ascites, we may consider pleurx drains as well. For ascites due to portal hypertension we may consider TIPS and on occasion we may consider Denver shunts (IR guided). These interventions have truly improved the quality of life of many of these patients as they can now manage their fluid status on their own at home before they get shortness of breath or symptomatic abdominal distension, This is a great palliative service that we are able to provide our oncology patients as well as our end stage liver disease patients.

But, there is a growing amount of outpatient clinics being done by IR and it is a gamut of patients being seen. Venous disease (varicose veins, dvt, PTS, venous insufficiency, venous malformations), claudicants, wound management (arterial, venous, neuropathic, mixed), fibroids, oncology (renal mass, lung primary or mets, bone mets, adrenal, liver primary and mets); pain is a growing area of practice (esi, rhizotomy, celiac blocks, hypogastric blocks, vertebro, kypho etc); complex abscess drains for diverticulitis, perforated appendicitis, post op infections etc. Not to mention biliary and GU interventions. There is a growing demand for IR services in places with consult only practices with robust outpatient clinics . The lifestyle and hours are much more like surgery than diagnostic radiology, but it is very rewarding and the pathology seen is extremely broad and it keeps us extremely busy.

A lot of interesting things coming down the pipeline (renal artery denervation for treatment of hypertension, prostate artery embolization for BPH, additional treatments for male infertility).

Good luck. I am happy for you to do these procedures or at least have a dream about these. I feel sorry for the medical students who pursue IR career after reading your post or similar ones.

My buddy who did his IR fellowship at BCVI found an IR job in my area. He is doing 60% DR and 40% thoras, paras, abscess drain, biopsies, and once in a while an embo or TIPS. He looked for 8 months to find a pure IR job with clinics and high end procedures. These jobs are rare, as rare as finding a Nuclear medicine job for a pure Nucs trained graduate. Probably if you move to Montana you can find the kind of job described above.

If you are a member of auntminnie, look at this post. The responders are old members who are not the well known trolls of auntminnie.

http://www.auntminnie.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=362012

Does this person have a clinic? Are they strong clinically? Do they have admitting privileges? Do they have a marketing person and do meet and greets?

If the answer is no, then that is the problem. It is not that hard to build a practice if you have decent people person skills and know the disease. Also, you need to be fairly technically aggressive and be able to bail your self out of any potential complications. If you do a liver biopsy, you should be able to do the embolization if it bleeds. If you rupture a vessel, you should be ready with a covered stent. If you cause a pneumothorax with a lung biopsy you should feel comfortable placing a chest tube.

I don' t have time to do imaging as I am so busy rounding on patients, doing cases, admitting and discharging patients, calling patients with results of imaging or labs, giving talks, attending tumor board and various conferences, giving grand rounds etc. If you are doing that much imaging it is hard to build a practice.

Does this person have a clinic? Are they strong clinically? Do they have admitting privileges? Do they have a marketing person and do meet and greets?

If the answer is no, then that is the problem. It is not that hard to build a practice if you have decent people person skills and know the disease. Also, you need to be fairly technically aggressive and be able to bail your self out of any potential complications. If you do a liver biopsy, you should be able to do the embolization if it bleeds. If you rupture a vessel, you should be ready with a covered stent. If you cause a pneumothorax with a lung biopsy you should feel comfortable placing a chest tube.

I don' t have time to do imaging as I am so busy rounding on patients, doing cases, admitting and discharging patients, calling patients with results of imaging or labs, giving talks, attending tumor board and various conferences, giving grand rounds etc. If you are doing that much imaging it is hard to build a practice.

The problem with him is, almost nobody supports him to have a clinic. Establishing a practice may not be difficult, but need support. Almost all DR groups here want to make the most RVU out of the newbie. So if he stays with DR groups, he has to do what they say. They hired him for this sort of job.

On the other hand, he could not find a pure IR job. I don't know about you specifically, but pure IR jobs in large cities are not very easy to come by. I don't say they do not exist, but are very difficult to find. All the hospitals have their IR, vascular surgery, cards, GS, ... groups. He can not jump in and get the admission privileges. He has to join the already established groups. And these groups do not hire unless you do a huge amount of DR work.

My assumption is that you are in a small town or small market with relatively less competition. In my area, even family doctors have problem finding patients.

Interesting. If you join a DR group you need to work above and beyond. Some radiology groups have 8 weeks or more off, this is not conducive to practice building and taking care of patients. You need to provide 24/7 coverage and if you are not there someone will be more than happy to grab your referrals and your patients. It is imperative that you come in earlier and stay later than your diagnostic colleagues. You have to carry your weight in DR and contribute to the group's practice and build your practice.
If they won't allow you to have clinic space (due to cost and time) then see the patients in between cases for consult and follow up. Order imaging and labs on your patient and order consults as necessary. When reading imaging call the referring physicians and offer them biopsies, tell them what you do ports etc. Read all the MRA, CTA, vascular ultrasound and call them with positive findings and tell them what you can do. Also, of note it is critical to read the DVT studies and call the referring physicians and give them guidance on DVT lysis, IVC filters and treatment of massive and submassive PE. Read carotid ultrasounds and offer carotid stenting in symptomatic carotid disease. Talk to the wound care centers nearby and podiatrists and offer them arterial revascularization. Set up a cosmetic clinic and offer a comprehensive vein practice including spider veins, ambulatory phlebectomy and perforator disease.

Set up a back pain clinic and offer all the various treatments. Continue to follow the patients and be responsive to the referring physicians but more importantly take very good care of the patient and be responsive to the patients with good communication with the patient.

When I first started I had no support for clinic either. I could not afford the infrastructure or support staff early on. I had to do everything on my own without resources. Call patients bring them in do a history and physical, review of systems, review their imaging, order labs and further studies and consults as necessary. Then I would do the scheduling myself . I would perform the procedure on the patient take 24 /7 pager call for my patients admit them to my own service etc. I made sure to be on the floors rounding on patients doing consults on any patient that was referred for a procedure. Call the patients after a procedure and make sure to round on patients I performed procedures on.

Then, I started to give talks at my hospital, neighboring hospitals, outpatient clinics and anywhere else. Took potential referring docs out to lunch or dinner and educated them about what I could do and listened to their issues to ease the referral process. I took on anything be it a picc, paracentesis, thoracentesis, complex biopsy. Offered same day procedures (when I was starting and had no business). Learned extensively about the disease and again was very available. Go to every tumor board or conference I could go to. Slowly, but surely established a practice. Though I was competing with cardiology and vascular surgery and surgical oncology for cases initially, we had a mutual respect for one another and as I started referring more and more patients to my cards, vasc surgery, surgical oncology and medical oncology colleagues we were all able to increase our practice and collaborate more. I was no longer seen as competition but more as a partner.

With the proper mindset and clinical training, the sky seems to be the limit. I have seen this in my practice and that of my Clinical IR colleagues. Those IR who join a radiology group practice and expect not to work and just do what is on the "list" and don't do consults , don't admit patients and don't follow patients often have a sense of entitlement and don't go the extra mile to establish a high end practice.

When I first started I had no support for clinic either. I could not afford the infrastructure or support staff early on. I had to do everything on my own without resources. Call patients bring them in do a history and physical, review of systems, review their imaging, order labs and further studies and consults as necessary. Then I would do the scheduling myself . I would perform the procedure on the patient take 24 /7 pager call for my patients admit them to my own service etc. I made sure to be on the floors rounding on patients doing consults on any patient that was referred for a procedure. Call the patients after a procedure and make sure to round on patients I performed procedures on.

Then, I started to give talks at my hospital, neighboring hospitals, outpatient clinics and anywhere else. Took potential referring docs out to lunch or dinner and educated them about what I could do and listened to their issues to ease the referral process. I took on anything be it a picc, paracentesis, thoracentesis, complex biopsy. Offered same day procedures (when I was starting and had no business). Learned extensively about the disease and again was very available. Go to every tumor board or conference I could go to. Slowly, but surely established a practice. Though I was competing with cardiology and vascular surgery and surgical oncology for cases initially, we had a mutual respect for one another and as I started referring more and more patients to my cards, vasc surgery, surgical oncology and medical oncology colleagues we were all able to increase our practice and collaborate more. I was no longer seen as competition but more as a partner.

With the proper mindset and clinical training, the sky seems to be the limit. I have seen this in my practice and that of my Clinical IR colleagues. Those IR who join a radiology group practice and expect not to work and just do what is on the "list" and don't do consults , don't admit patients and don't follow patients often have a sense of entitlement and don't go the extra mile to establish a high end practice.

You are a special case, my friend. You are a hammerhead.

Most medical doctors are the opposite. They like to have their futures well-planned out for them, without any real struggle of uncertainty. Even the hard-core neurosurgeons, who work endless hours, know that they will have work at the end.

I don't doubt that IR has a billion things to offer patients, and that in many ways it is poised to become the future high-standard of invasive interventions. It's just that it won't become that way until it is generally accepted by the status quo. Your case, as I said above, is a special one because of your spirit.

Well, I appreciate the kind words. Your point is well taken and I do see many of the older guard who are truly happy with status quo, but I feel they are doing a disservice to their patients.

The good thing is I do see that more and more of the newer IR are of a different mindset and are trained in this fashion and are starting to practice in this fashion.

The more I see and follow my patients (as you said it truly has untapped potential) there is so much more we can offer these patients and also it is the responsibility of the IR to manage their tubes and drains and stents etc and answer directly to their patients. From doing this I have learned a great deal of what works , more importantly what does not work (which has been humbling), and who not to do anything on. This has been critical for me to decide the best therapy for a patient and often times it is better not to intervene than intervene and sometimes a more invasive surgery in a healthy patient is better than a less morbid and less invasive intervention that I may be able to offer.

Interesting thread. Any recommendations for reading about post procedure management of perc nephs and billiary drains? I am only comfortable with surgical chest tube post procedure management, what about pig tails placed by IR... a refresher read would be nice. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Intern interested in interventional rad

PCN indications are for obstruction and diversion. We may try to internalize this if feasible. If not then I bring them back for routine changes every 3 months. If the patient tends to develop sediment or obstruct earlier, I may consider a larger drain and sometimes a flush/aspiration. If patient develops flank pain or fever or decreased output from the bag I have them come in and evalute the situation.

Biliary are a little more tricky. Depends on if benign or malignant pathology (and prognosis if malignant). We try to internalize the stent which usually you can. Then cap at 24 hours. If patient develops fevers, chills etc then uncap and drain externally. Replace external fluid losses with equivalent electrolyte based fluids but you really should try to internalize the drainage. You can flush a biliary drain but you should not aspirate an internalized drain as you may end up with biliary sepsis.

Benign strictures are more challenging. Often will need to dilate with angioplasty balloons, cutting balloons, cryoplasty balloons etc. Usually bring back to the lab every 3 to 4 weeks. Upsize to larger and larger plastic stents and consider covered removable stents. Then do a cholangiogram to see what the flow and consider biliary manometry to see pressure differential. But, if cholangiogram looks pretty good then a trial for a month or so and removal. If refractory to IR and endoscopic techniques may need surgical revision. If poor prognosis (ie less than 6 month survival) metastatic pancreatic cancer or unresectable cholangiocarcinomas for example I will consider a permanent biliary stent (consider covered stent/less tissue ingrowth issues).

IR pigtails for pleural based processes are just smaller bore. So if simple air (small bore chest tube fine even 6 or 8 french fine) check for air leak etc. Thicker more tenacious fluid (especially infected), need to be more aggressive large bore IR tubes from 10 to 28 french such as thal quik (16 and 24 french), wiring cavity to break loculations, fibrinolytics into the fluid and short term dwell. Look at outputs as well. Now if malignant effusion and recurrent in nature and unresponsive to chemotherapy consider pleurx catheter and send home (decent rate of auto pleurodesis) vs IR chest tube and pleurodesis with various agents such as talc. If symptomatic "trapped lung" may need surgical decortication etc.

Last edited:
You are a special case, my friend. You are a hammerhead.

Most medical doctors are the opposite. They like to have their futures well-planned out for them, without any real struggle of uncertainty. Even the hard-core neurosurgeons, who work endless hours, know that they will have work at the end.

I don't doubt that IR has a billion things to offer patients, and that in many ways it is poised to become the future high-standard of invasive interventions. It's just that it won't become that way until it is generally accepted by the status quo. Your case, as I said above, is a special one because of your spirit.

His case is very rare.

The problem in IR is the referral pattern of IR. It is not the education or the pathway or even post procedure management.
For example this intern interested in IR asking about post procedure management. Though it is important, it does not protect your turf.
The IR docs should understand that turf loss is not about quality, it is about the referral pattern.
As long as nobody considers you as "clinical specialist" you are at the mercy of the original clinical service.

Some examples from his sample procedures:

You are right. But every cirrhosis patient has a GI doctor, unless you live in boonies. You are not the one who decide what should be done for the patient. For malignant pleural catheter, you are at the mercy of oncologist. Now if the cardiothoracic surgeon in your hospital decides to send his lung cancer patients to the oncologist for chemo and gets all the malignant pleural effusion referrals from him in return, he can easily bypass you and you lose your control. Many cardiothoracic surgeons start to put pleural catheters. You have to compete with them.

But, there is a growing amount of outpatient clinics being done by IR and it is a gamut of patients being seen. Venous disease (varicose veins, dvt, PTS, venous insufficiency, venous malformations),

Everybody and their mother is doing varicose veins these days. Family doctors, vascular surgeons, dermatologists, cards, OB, surgeons, CTS, .... You may find some success in this field as it does not need referral.

claudicants, wound management (arterial, venous, neuropathic, mixed),

PAD is lost to vasc surgeon and cardiologists man. You may kill yourself and find a few cases. Most of these patients have already a cardiologist.
Also more than 90% of family doctors and ER doctors know vascular surgery and cardiology as VASCULAR specialist. You never see them put IR consult for mesenteric ischemia. If they do it, it is a disservice to the patient. IR does not have the clinical experience for mesenteric ischemia.

fibroids,

You are at the mercy of OB-GYN. It means that an OB-GYN should kiss his income for doing hysterectomy goodbye and refer the patient to you. If a family doctor refers his Vaginal bleeding patient to you for w/u it is a disservice to the patient. IR does not have the expertise. The patient should be referred to OB-GYN for work up of vaginal bleeding. Also most women have an Gyn, unless they live in boonies. Even if the patient knows about Fibroids, a Gyn can easily badmouth it. The truth is, there is not a huge difference between embolization and hysterectomy/myomectomy. They can easily say if we do hysterectomy, you wont get endometrial cancer, Do you know how many people die of endometrial cacner each year?

oncology (renal mass, lung primary or mets, bone mets, adrenal, liver primary and mets);

You are at the mercy of specialist. You want to ignore it, but oncology work for IR is limited to big academic or cancer centers. The only benefit has been proven for HCC. Renal mass is referred to Urologist and not to IR. The urologist will do partial nephrectomy and not refer for RFA. If some time in the future, they prove RFA is better than open surgery, I guarantee you 100% that urologists will learn how to do it. In any case, it is not the money maker in pp.

pain is a growing area of practice (esi, rhizotomy, celiac blocks, hypogastric blocks, vertebro, kypho etc);

As an MSK radiologist, I do pain mamagement from injections to Kypho-vertebro. I have a light clinic where I give patients medication. It is not as rosy as you say. You are at the mercy of orthopods. In most markets it is controlled by anesthesiologists. In radiology, neurorads do more of them that IR or anybody else. The only reason we still do it, is the large number of cases.

complex abscess drains for diverticulitis, perforated appendicitis, post op infections etc. Not to mention biliary and GU interventions.

This is done by Body people in many practices. There is not need to be trained in IR. This is a general radiology skill.

Good luck. The patient has refractory HTN. I assume the family doctor will send the patient to cardiologist and not IR for further medical management. The cardiologist works on 7 different drugs and then decides it need intervention. And then, he refers it to you. Good dreams. This pattern of referral sounds very familiar to me.

The reason for my long post, is to make something clear: It is not about quality, it is not about understanding the procedure. It is about, who is KNOWN as a specialist in field to be referred to. The level of knowledge of PAs, NPs, And family doctors about who does what is low. They don't care, they just want someone to take care of patient's higher level of need. Chest pain is referred to cardiologist. Fracture is referred to orthopod, now if you invent an IR procedure to fix hip fractures, it does not help. The patient still goes to orthopod. Vaginal bleeding is referred to OB-Gyn and not IR.
You can not win the game unless you change the pattern of referral. It means you have to convince almost all family doctors and ER doctor in US which are about half of milion people to refer vaginal bleeding to you and not to OB-Gyn. Good luck.

Thanks

Let's compare Breast surgery and vascular surgery referral pattern. Family doctors send the patient with lump to radiologist for US first. The patient gets US and then the radiologist does the biopsy himself and send the results back both to the patient and to the family doctor, most of the time normal. This is in addition to the biopsies that done after screening mammogram (first hand, no referral). Despite very aggressive attempts by breast surgeons to control biopsies, other than few exceptions (similar to IR), they were not successful. It is not because our breast imagers are more talented or skillful than breast surgeons or IR. It is just because of the pattern of referral.

Yes. It is about referral patterns and changing referral patterns.

I get referrals for pleural drains from medical oncology, palliative care, and hospitaltists ll the time.

For renal cryoablation I get referrals from patients directly and the imaging department. I tell patients they have the option of nephrectomy, partial nephrectomy and that the data for renal cryoablation is not as long or randomized and give them the option of treatment.

For hepatoma, I tend to get those who are unresectable and beyond Milan or UCSF and though not that many, they end up as my patients for the rest of their life and then I refer for nexavar. I send a consult for EGD if they have evidence of ascites or thrombocytopenia on a yearly basis.

For PAD, I have a large leg pain clinic and get referrals for claudicants from primary care (mostly) and then treat them conservatively with exercise regimen, smoking cessation, cilostazol, statins and even ace. Then if fail that I may consider an endovascular approach. Also, the nephrologists and endocrinologists (diabetologists), and podiatrists have become a growing referral for lower extremity revascularization in their patient population with wounds and also there are some local wound centers run by podiatrists and primary care that send me patients as well for treatment of their venous and arterial issues to help with wound healing.

As far as mesenteric ischemia , I get the referrals from my GI colleagues, hospitalists and primary care and tend to stent those. Pretty straightforward evaluation and management. They often get advanced imaging such as MRA and if positive my DR colleagues recommend referral to IR.

FIbroids I get the referrals from gynecology and we have a fibroid center as many patients demand for all options and do their homework. This helps all parties as there are many that are referred to me that I may suggest for hysterectomy.

Refractory hypertension is a little different, first of all it is the rare bird that is truly refractory. If you look at most studies there is significant noncompliance to medications and many patients are not on appropriate meds ie indadequate diuretics( lasix qd and they should be on it a higher dosing interval), hctz and their gfr is too low for it to work well, not on aldactone and that was one of the negative of some of the simplicity data. So, yes you need a working idea of hypertension and I defer to my hypertensionalist colleagues (cardiology and nephrology). There is only a subset of cardiologists and nephrologists who are experts in this and so I work well with both groups as their are many that have various secondary causes including hyperaldo, coarctation, FMD issues, and I offer them adrenal venous sampling, angioplasty and so a natural extension would be renal denervation. However, it is the rare bird that is truly refractory if you take compliance to medications and appropriate medications given.

My diagnostic colleagues do minimal needle work and our hospitalists, ID docs, ER, and surgeons all want IR to do the drains as we are quite aggressive on the placement of drains (up to 30 plus french in certain situations) and management (round on them daily with aggressive follow up). The diagnostic colleagues would put in small bore drains and then send them out never to see the patient again. Once we took over that component we have seen a tremendous spike in that practice.

As far as MSK interventions, we do the vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty as does Neurosurgery, PMR, and anesthesia. I get a fair number of referrals from the hospitalists, ER and some PCPs and PMRs . I have tried to reroute some bone biopsies to my diagnostic colleagues but they route them back and so I just go ahead and do them. But, as we get busier and busier we are getting backed up in scheduling cases.

I agree there is a component of branding and we have branded our selves as vascular specialists and get a lot of referrals from primary care docs and we provide comprehensive care for their patient population and take care of these patients as if they were our own family members.

The future is bright for IR if done in the right fashion. I have seen it in my practice and my colleagues who are also very busy in private practice both in small hospitals (100 bed) and large hospitals as well as small cities and large coastal cities. Academic practices seem to be lagging behind in the incorporation of many of these principles.

I certainly don't think that my skill set or knowledge base is better than any of my colleagues in other fields (cardiology, vascular surgery) in fact I have learned a ton from them and still have much to learn from them, but I try to be friendly to my patients and my referring and make myself readily available and my patients and referring doctors can get in touch with me at any time.

Last edited:
Let's compare Breast surgery and vascular surgery referral pattern. Family doctors send the patient with lump to radiologist for US first. The patient gets US and then the radiologist does the biopsy himself and send the results back both to the patient and to the family doctor, most of the time normal. This is in addition to the biopsies that done after screening mammogram (first hand, no referral). Despite very aggressive attempts by breast surgeons to control biopsies, other than few exceptions (similar to IR), they were not successful. It is not because our breast imagers are more talented or skillful than breast surgeons or IR. It is just because of the pattern of referral.

See this is what I don't get. All patients roll through the radiology department. As IRwarrior indicated, he gets renal onc cases through the diagnostic imaging side. Also he all the mesentaric ischemia cases get advanced imaging. Why can't we get more referrals that way? Seems like our "in" for procedures is the diagnostic component.

Our radiology colleagues are very busy and often forget to consider IR. Often times the radiology department is not aware of what IR locally does. It is as important to educate your radiology department as it is to talk to other physicians and I have given several talks on IR and what we do and then also discuss updates on related imaging. Not to mention I order a lot of advanced imaging (CT liver, kidney, CTAs, duplex ultrasounds, MRA , MR pelvis etc). We are one of the largest referrings for advanced imaging to the radiology department. Most importantly you need to have a clinic to see the patient to have a discussion about the natural history and prognosis of the disease and weigh treatment against comorbid conditions and alternative therapies (medical, interventional and surgical).

See this is what I don't get. All patients roll through the radiology department. As IRwarrior indicated, he gets renal onc cases through the diagnostic imaging side. Also he all the mesentaric ischemia cases get advanced imaging. Why can't we get more referrals that way? Seems like our "in" for procedures is the diagnostic component.

He has established a great practice. I appreciate him.

But this is not the case in most IR practices, no matter whom you ask. It does not mean you can not do it, but at least many/most IR people did not or were not successful in doing it.

- It is not about quality. It is about who gets the patient first from PCPs.

- Most patients first go to family doctor, internist or ED. These doctors do not spend a lot of time with patient, do not have the knowledge and have very low threshold for ordering imaging study or referring. They refer everybody unless they have a very clear cut guideline to follow. For example for lung nodule if you give all the recommendations, they follow it step by step. This is also the best part to get biopsies from them, and bypassing surgery and even IR.

- In the case of PAD, esp chronic ulcer most family doctors do not want to do the w/u themselves. because they do not know what to do with mild stenosis. They don't know what to do with 50% stenosis. They don't know how to manage chronic ulcer. SO they don't also order imaging study, instead they refer the patient to vascular surgery. In 90% of US, the vascular surgery is the already established pattern. They order US and they may read it themselves or DR people may read it, but you can not steal they patient for procedure. You can not call a vascular surgeon and ask him to refer the patient to you IR department, haha. Where does this established referral pattern come from? From the biggest mistake of first general of IR.

- 20 years ago IR people could establish themselves as PAD specialist to manage the patients both medically and surgically. But they did not. The pattern was family doctor ---> vascular surgery --> IR. IR refused to change this pattern by getting the patient directly from vascular. These days you only get referral from 60 year old vascular surgeons who do not have catheter skill. Anyway, unfortunately the family doctor--> vascular surgeon pattern is already established for more than 20 years.

- You may think it is simple, but it is not. For example in case of stroke, the ER calls neurology and not IR. Most of it goes back to the disease process and its differentials. For example brain tumor, migraine, TIA and MS can mimic each other. So a patient with hemiparesis needs a neurologist. As a result if Neurology wants to take Neuro-IR they can do it.

- Or in case of percut cholecystotomy. If surgery wants to take it, they easily can. All of acute cholecystitis get surgery consult. IMO, this is a disservice to patient to send them to IR. so if I read a gallbladder US from ED and it shows acute cholecystitis, first of all I can not call IR for it. It should be official consult. The only person who can do it is ED doctor. The surgery can not jump in or if at the same time the patient has chest pain, the cardiology can not put surgery consult. So I have to convince the ED doctor to refer the patient to IR and it does not make sense as in the last 50 years people with cholecystitis went to surgery.

- In the case of mesenteric ischemia, it is more complex. The patient comes with abdominal pain. Abd pain gets a CT abdomen. If not clear like renal stone, pancreatitis, or .. then surgery consult and not IR. To make things more complex, surgeons love to refer to themselves. So if vascular surgery wants to take over mesenteric angiography, they can.

- The bitter truth is 4 years of DR is a waste of time for IR. you don't need to know all imaging aspects of liver lesions or MS, to do IR. IMO, it is late in the game. They had to establish themselves as PAD specialists about 20 years ago by separating from radiology and leave the none vascular interventions to body people/MSK people, .... Now it is very very late. And if they want to separate, most of the non-vascular procedures will also be taken over by DR people. The new direct pathway is useless.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Both Irwarrior and Shark have made really good points. Thanks for this interesting discussion. I think the best thing about radiology is the diversity. Glad to be a part of it.

I do think that 1 year IR fellowship and 1 year of clinical training is not adequate to train someone who wants to do high end IR and offer comprehensive management of their patients. If I had to do it over , I would have done an integrated training pathway such as the DIRECT and Clinical pathway where you spend 1/3 or greater of your radiology residency doing IR and clinical rotations as opposed to a conventional radiology residency 1/12 or less of your time during residency doing IR and clinical rotations.

You do need to get very good at advanced imaging such as MR, CT especially abdominal, pelvic, and thoracic imaging. CTA, MRA and if you are planning on doing INR and stroke work Neuroimaging is critical. If you plan on doing spine interventions you should have a strong foundation in spine imaging.

We also use a fair amount of ultrasound and you need to get comfortable with vascular ultrasound and scanning your own patients. Most radiology residents don't scan enough on their own, but this is critical to being a solid intervenitonalist.

You certainly don't need to spend excessive time doing fluoroscopy and barium studies etc and so a strong IR training program focuses on the most high yield imaging rotations and cuts out the ones that are not as high yield.

But, if you want to practice as a successful modern day IR, then it is critical that you get the proper training during residency or else you will only be doings paracentesis, thoracentesis, and central venous access which others themselves don't want to do. So, that is why the newer training pathways (DIRECT/Clinical) will prepare you better for a future clinical practice.

In regards to Shark2000--

I dont know where you are in the level or area of practice, and frankly dont care.... but your way of thinking in DR is why some IRs want to leave the umbrella of DR (which is also a terribly short sided idea). But I will give you a credit for recognizing the importance of referral patterns... the rest of your comment are purely opinion. Your an MSK radiologist commenting on the referral patterns of IR. You know no 1st hand knowledge about anything you are discussing except maybe some hearsay from some IR buddies. Lol, stick to the bones.

It IS about the referral patterns and locally changing them if they are not suitable for the practice that you wish to have. If you are "available, approachable, and affable", you will have enough "business" to be successful. IRWarrior is not the only one out in the IR world that is practicing the way he has described. Many of the newly trained guys I see are all over the hospital floors, rounding early in the day, with weekly clinics, and quite busy. But these are the guys that go out there with active clinics, talks to PCPs, and do the traditional surgical approach to starting a new practice. This is in stark contrast to the DR job of picking away at the list from day 1, and immediate RVU generation.

Traditionally, the biggest problem has been the pool from which IR physicians are selected and this will thankfully change. The old guard is full of non-surgical, and usually less spirited DR type personalities that usually find haven in the dark rooms of DR more than the easy bantering with referrers and the conventional clinical heavyweights. But while DR is becoming the newest commodity similar to pathology in the 70s and 80s (thank DRA and CMS), IR is creating inroads into turf that it has long ago abandoned. Unfortunately, it is up to the new IRWarriors to regain this and DR should be quietly supporting this initiative. A strong IR means by definition that DR within the hospital or practice environment is respected and necessary.

BCVI and a handful of southeastern private practices are a perfect product of the select few in the past who did not follow the technician only approach. And it is here where the next generation of what IR should try to become is best seen. I have seen many BCVI trained guys, however, try to come up to the NE and get stuck in RVU driven practices who care more about the short-term bottom line and less so practice building. And these short-sighted DR practices is usually where the stigma of the new trained non-clinical IR perpetuating the past is borne.

To the up and coming, it is more important than ever to have a clinical service. Admit to your own service, know how to treat basic HTN, DM, AKI, spend time during your flex-4th year on non-radiology rotations in the ICU, neph, onc and learn the vernacular of the primary referrers. Also, its important to keep your imaging skills, particularly in vascular, body CT and MR. It is important to know the features of LIRADs, RCC, HCC when treating your patients and especially when doing tumor board. You need to demonstrate to clinicians that you understand and speak the same language, especially when it comes time for treatment paradigms.

We need to re-learn that we have the capacity to become a model of vertical integration (from doing the initial H&P, imaging review, trt, and post-trt) all stemming from one referral by a hospitalist or PCP.

The better you do this, the more successful you will be.

But, if you want to practice as a successful modern day IR, then it is critical that you get the proper training during residency or else you will only be doings paracentesis, thoracentesis, and central venous access which others themselves don't want to do. So, that is why the newer training pathways (DIRECT/Clinical) will prepare you better for a future clinical practice.

Sure, but what about those who are already in a traditional pathway? What can they do? The traditional pathway is still the most common route to interventional radiology. I'm going to a program that does PAD, INR, and a bit of everything else of as well. However, there are VIR fellows. We do get good at arterial access for INR since there are no INR fellows. And we get basic IR procedures as well.

EDIT: I guess the answer is to get into a great IR fellowship... easier said than done.

Most importantly take your intern year seriously. Go to all the morning reports and pay attention. Go to surgical M and M. Work as hard as you can and read about your patients and learn the key diseases and their evaluation. Get comfortable talking to patients both in the hospital but as important or more importantly in the outpatient clinical environment. Get comfortable with basic diseases and their treatments including DM, hypertension, ESRD (AKI/CKD), Cardiac (AMI/STEMI/NSTEMI) and their large trials COURAGE etc, Neuro (NINDS, PROACT, ACAS,NASCET), Pulmonary (PFTs, ABGs) etc.

Go to the SIR annual meeting every year and go to the practice development , clinical talks and the small workshops are great. At the workshops you get clinical and technical experts (leaders of the field) in a small group session where you can ask questions and who can guide you on how to evaluate and manage patients, perform the procedures and post procedure management. The practice development teaches you the business strategy on how to recruit patients and build and maintain a practice.

I will on occasion go to cardiology and vascular surgery meetings as well and get some great information.

The VIVA , WCIO and ISET/CIO meetings are great for their educational content and up to date literature and live cases.

Procedure wise , try to get more elective time in IR and clinical rotations during your 4 years starting with year one. I was lucky enough to arrange time in clinic with my surgical colleagues during my residency time and get some additional IR time during my electives.

I agree with fiatflux it does seem to be that I meet more and more like minded IR (at meetings such as VIVA) who are building strong aggressive clinical practices and many are doing a fair amount of complex peripheral interventions. As fiatflux states it is important to maintain strong imaging skills and clinical skills and certainly need to know the vernacular. If I had known about DIRECT and CLINICAL pathways I certainly would have gone that route personally, but If you are not in a DIRECT or CLINICAL pathway, the onus is up to the resident to be proactive and ask your program director for that additional time in outpatient clinic, ICU and additional months of IR /INR during a more traditional radiology residency. I did a traditional pathway and though it was more of a challenge to gain clinical equipoise it happens with time provided you start seeing patients during fellowship and beyond.

Good luck

Last edited:
In regards to Shark2000--

I dont know where you are in the level or area of practice, and frankly dont care.... but your way of thinking in DR is why some IRs want to leave the umbrella of DR (which is also a terribly short sided idea). But I will give you a credit for recognizing the importance of referral patterns... the rest of your comment are purely opinion. Your an MSK radiologist commenting on the referral patterns of IR. You know no 1st hand knowledge about anything you are discussing except maybe some hearsay from some IR buddies. Lol, stick to the bones.

It IS about the referral patterns and locally changing them if they are not suitable for the practice that you wish to have. If you are "available, approachable, and affable", you will have enough "business" to be successful. IRWarrior is not the only one out in the IR world that is practicing the way he has described. Many of the newly trained guys I see are all over the hospital floors, rounding early in the day, with weekly clinics, and quite busy. But these are the guys that go out there with active clinics, talks to PCPs, and do the traditional surgical approach to starting a new practice. This is in stark contrast to the DR job of picking away at the list from day 1, and immediate RVU generation.

Traditionally, the biggest problem has been the pool from which IR physicians are selected and this will thankfully change. The old guard is full of non-surgical, and usually less spirited DR type personalities that usually find haven in the dark rooms of DR more than the easy bantering with referrers and the conventional clinical heavyweights. But while DR is becoming the newest commodity similar to pathology in the 70s and 80s (thank DRA and CMS), IR is creating inroads into turf that it has long ago abandoned. Unfortunately, it is up to the new IRWarriors to regain this and DR should be quietly supporting this initiative. A strong IR means by definition that DR within the hospital or practice environment is respected and necessary.

BCVI and a handful of southeastern private practices are a perfect product of the select few in the past who did not follow the technician only approach. And it is here where the next generation of what IR should try to become is best seen. I have seen many BCVI trained guys, however, try to come up to the NE and get stuck in RVU driven practices who care more about the short-term bottom line and less so practice building. And these short-sighted DR practices is usually where the stigma of the new trained non-clinical IR perpetuating the past is borne.

To the up and coming, it is more important than ever to have a clinical service. Admit to your own service, know how to treat basic HTN, DM, AKI, spend time during your flex-4th year on non-radiology rotations in the ICU, neph, onc and learn the vernacular of the primary referrers. Also, its important to keep your imaging skills, particularly in vascular, body CT and MR. It is important to know the features of LIRADs, RCC, HCC when treating your patients and especially when doing tumor board. You need to demonstrate to clinicians that you understand and speak the same language, especially when it comes time for treatment paradigms.

We need to re-learn that we have the capacity to become a model of vertical integration (from doing the initial H&P, imaging review, trt, and post-trt) all stemming from one referral by a hospitalist or PCP.

The better you do this, the more successful you will be.

- Some good points, but still did not address the issue of referrals. If you want to do percut cholecystostomy there is no way to get referral directly from ED. It will come from surgery and if they want to take it away, they can.

- For sure these are my opinions. You also do not have level 1 evidence for what you say. It is also your opinion with all your biases.

- About the selection. In 2004-5 IR programs could only fill about half of their spots and I can argue those were the people who either liked it or hated DR. I can not believe that just in 6-7 years the level of interest in IR doubled or tripled among radiologists. Let's be honest. Most of it is because of the job market.

- I agree with you about traditional IR people. They could easily put the IR in the position of vascular surgery, but the did not.

- The relation of IR and DR is love and hate in every practice. Many IR people chose their field because of job market. The rest are the people who hate DR or look down at DR. This is obvious in your post also. Calling DR a commodity does not solve the issue. A commodity has its own value, but is replaceable. I doubt even IR has any value for high end cases. Your job can be done by a vascular surgeon. The hospital needs you only for low end cases man.

- DR needs IR is a joke. Many IR people think DR owe them something. It is also seen in your post. This is the argument to get support from DR because IR knows that it can not survive without DR. A DR group without IR can easily survive, but an IR barely can survive without DR other than some rare groups in the country.

- Let me clarify for you. If a DR is replaced by Telerad, it is only and only their false. A DR group which provides 7/24 high quality reads, has close relation with clinicians, provides mammogram with biopsies and all procedures like wire localization and MR guided breast biopsy, Tumor boards, is active in hospital committee, has active Body imagers who do all the biopsies including lung biopsies, abscess drains, other drains, thoras, paras, line, tubes, LPs, Joint injections, spine pain management, high quality US like OB, Cerebral angiogram by neuroradiologists, flouro studies even feeding tube placements and in some places ablations IS NOT REPLACEABLE.

- In any case, I prefer to lose my job and look for another one, rather than dealing with IR people. They even question the choice of my field. One of IR people once told me that how come I am happy while I have a boring job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Long story short, IR should separate from DR. I does not harm DR at all. I don't care whether it affect IR or not.

- For medical students: If you like procedures, go for a surgical subspecialty or even vascualr surgery or cardiology. Surgical subspecialties provide you with much much better clinical training, you have your protected turf, will do mostly high ended cases, NOBODY dump on you unwanted procedures and also you can have much better life style (there is nothing wrong with lifestyle consideration). All surgeons support you, but on the other hand as an IR not only you should fight with other groups, you have also a lot of fights and even turf issues with your DR people.

I have tried to convince my diagnostic radiology colleagues to get involved in the procedural aspects of imaging, but many of them are not interested. Several have said that they don't have the time, don't like the unpredictable nature of procedures or simply don't feel comfortable with even minor IR procedures. My greater concern is that with the new Board exams there will be even less training in these procedures by general radiologists. I try to convince them to go to the tumor boards and the different conferences, but it is hard to get many of them to go as they have such high volumes of imaging to interpret and their lists are sometimes never ending. I try to squeeze these conferences in early on in the day or between cases and we make sure that we free up one of the IR docs to go to these critical conferences.

I do agree that the current flux of IR is partially due to the poor job market , but overall I feel there has been an increase in medical students who want to go into IR for all the right reasons and realize it is not a lifestyle specialty and in order to do it well you have to work hard and have an office based practice. It is certainly not a 100 percent of applicants but it is a growing percentage of the denominator. Also, more radiology residents are seeing some of the successful models and realize if they want to achieve this they too can do it, with proper training and attitude.

I strongly considered surgery, but the reason I chose IR over surgery was for the minimally invasive aspect of IR and the more rapid recovery and lower perioperative mortality. I just believe it to be more elegant and I am not a big fan of open surgery and its associated higher morbidity and mortality. I send the bulk of my patients home the same day or the next day after intervention.

The reason I personally prefer IR over some other procedural specialties is the scope and breadth of my practice. I get to know a ton about many diseases and offer more global care then if I was a cardiologist, vascular surgeon, GI , ENT etc.

This was important to me as I wanted to keep my clinical and technical skill set to cover the breadth of many organ systems. Though in our group we had to subspecialize for some of the higher end outpatient disease processes, we all do general IR call. I think the radiology training gave me great knowledge of general anatomy from head to toe and great global understanding of pathology which very few fields of medicine can give you. Even general surgery has some holes in their knowledge such as ENT, urology , ortho, obstetrics gynecology to name a few are not part of general surgery. While with radiology you cover pretty much every organ in the body except perhaps for maybe skin (and with cosmetic IR that is changing especially with superficial venous disease/spider veins and the like).

I have tried to convince my diagnostic radiology colleagues to get involved in the procedural aspects of imaging, but many of them are not interested. Several have said that they don't have the time, don't like the unpredictable nature of procedures or simply don't feel comfortable with even minor IR procedures. My greater concern is that with the new Board exams there will be even less training in these procedures by general radiologists. I try to convince them to go to the tumor boards and the different conferences, but it is hard to get many of them to go as they have such high volumes of imaging to interpret and their lists are sometimes never ending. I try to squeeze these conferences in early on in the day or between cases and we make sure that we free up one of the IR docs to go to these critical conferences.

I do agree that the current flux of IR is partially due to the poor job market , but overall I feel there has been an increase in medical students who want to go into IR for all the right reasons and realize it is not a lifestyle specialty and in order to do it well you have to work hard and have an office based practice. It is certainly not a 100 percent of applicants but it is a growing percentage of the denominator. Also, more radiology residents are seeing some of the successful models and realize if they want to achieve this they too can do it, with proper training and attitude.

I strongly considered surgery, but the reason I chose IR over surgery was for the minimally invasive aspect of IR and the more rapid recovery and lower perioperative mortality. I just believe it to be more elegant and I am not a big fan of open surgery and its associated higher morbidity and mortality. I send the bulk of my patients home the same day or the next day after intervention.

The reason I personally prefer IR over some other procedural specialties is the scope and breadth of my practice. I get to know a ton about many diseases and offer more global care then if I was a cardiologist, vascular surgeon, GI , ENT etc.

This was important to me as I wanted to keep my clinical and technical skill set to cover the breadth of many organ systems. Though in our group we had to subspecialize for some of the higher end outpatient disease processes, we all do general IR call. I think the radiology training gave me great knowledge of general anatomy from head to toe and great global understanding of pathology which very few fields of medicine can give you. Even general surgery has some holes in their knowledge such as ENT, urology , ortho, obstetrics gynecology to name a few are not part of general surgery. While with radiology you cover pretty much every organ in the body except perhaps for maybe skin (and with cosmetic IR that is changing especially with superficial venous disease/spider veins and the like).

- Nice discussion. 4+.

- I wish we had only one person in our IR department who had even half of your mindset.

- When I offered them to do biopsies in the middle of their cases, they refused and even told me that I want to steal their RVUs.

- When we (me and other MSK guy) started vertebro/kypho with new ortho practice and wanted to cooperate with IR on this, first they claimed that we are not qualified enough. Then they went to the orhto guys and told them they'd better send their patient to them as DR people are dangerous. THe orthopod even told them "what is wrong with your department? I have not seen any complications from these guys."

- When we went to tumor board, they got offended, because we had more body imaging knowledge than them, though we were really happy to exchange knowledge with them.

- Probably I have always had bad experience with IR. I did my residency in one of the so called top IR programs with clinical model and even in that case, IR people used to make fun of DR attendings when they did a biopsy or drain and when sth was not perfect about it. Many saw DR people with some procedural skills as competitors and not colleagues. Now in my pp, it is a disaster, don't want to get to it more.

- I am sure there are amazing IR doctors out there that every DR department should be proud to have. In fact, may be there should not be a clear cut border between them. They can help me improve my basic procedure skills and I can help them with imaging findings or referrals. BUT believe me, there are a lot of really horrible IR people out there, though I also agree that there are tons of horrible DR people out there.

Best Regards

That really is unfortunate that you have to work with such physicians as your colleagues. It is always best to collaborate. It would benefit both of you to do vertebro/kypho/bone biopsies together (provided you see them in the office or hospital consult preop and follow them longitudinally and also make sure that you have tried conservative approaches and know and understand the basic data such as VERTOS, FREE, buchbinder and Kallmes (be it methodologically flawed or not) and it certainly does not benefit anyone to badmouth your colleague period.

There should be an imager in the multi-disciplinary conferences as it truly enhances the experience for all including the IR. The IR should learn from the diagnosticians and again that will only make those treating that disease better and ultimately the patient benefits from collaboration.

It is imperative that no matter who does the biopsy that there should be follow up and if there is a complication (lung with pneumothorax, kidney, liver, spleen with bleeding) that the physician should deal with that and if it is a nonvascular IR physician who performs the physician he should be able to get the help from the vascular IR to embolize and help manage these issues. Also, it is important to make sure that the patient does not fall through the cracks and that the patient gets the results of the biopsy or if indeterminate a follow up biopsy or imaging study is done.

Sorry to hear that your colleagues in IR do not know how to collaborate which would enhance everyone's experience and most importantly improve the overall patient care especially with the advanced imaging skills, interpretation and tweaking of imaging protocols that you may be able to assist the IR with.

Sorry but I feel compelled to re-open this old thread.
Though I appreciate a healthy point, counter-point discussion, as an M3 on the verge of committing to IR, this thread has been extremely...numbing. I've moved away from surgical subspecialties in favor of IR because I love the cutting-edge procedures being done in IR. I have no illusions about IR being a "lifestyle" specialty and actually welcome the advent of the complete IR clinician. This can only help the field. But after hearing this discussion, the doom and gloom from Shark is depressing. I have truly enjoyed the IR cases I've seen. Though not glamorous, even the port placements, CVC placements, biopsies, drainages are in their own way interesting and necessary.

Shark: you mentioned that a lot of MS go into IR for the wrong reasons and you listed those reasons. What are the good reasons?

After reading this thread, what the heck do I believe? The doom and gloom is scary but from the discussions I've had with IR attendings at my home institution (which has a clinical IR pathway), there seems to be a lot of potential in terms of where IR is going. They have hope that the new certificate will bring a lot of attention to IR. In regards to PAD work, collaborative models are sprouting up across the country with vascular, cardio and IR working side by side. There's enough potential in interventional oncology to make a MS3 excited.

Any advice for a IR-committed, yet slightly concerned, MS3?

I read this thread and I agree that it is very intimidating to decide on a career with so much competition. Endovascular procedures are being done by vascular, IR and cardiology. There is alot of overlap of skill sets. I still think IR has the advantage of all the nonvascular work as well as the embolic therapies such as oncology, womens fibroids, varicoceles, etc ..

I guess u have to decide what your goal is. If your goal is to master endovascular and image guided procedures, IR is a great choice. U will have excellent catheter skills. U could also get there by doing vascular or cards however it is quite a different journey such as more clinical experience , different types of procedures, etc..

A radiology residency is really good for becoming an expert on diagnosing imaging which helps alot for IR however u are not getting the clinical training to manage patients like your medicine or surgical colleagues. I moonlighted my ass off as an ER doc/hospitalist through out my radiology residency and that built up my confidence in managing my IR patients but that is no where near as the skills of the medicine and vascular colleagues. So u have to be fearless and attack that weakpoint until it becomes a strong point.

For me, I am happy with my decision to do IR. I enjoy alot of the nonvascular work such as biliary work, and portal htn work such as TIPS which I would not being doing if I did another route. There is still potential to do the vascular work. I am a 1st year in private practice and it truly is an uphill battle to get to the top. Things have gotten better for me in the last year but there is still a long way to go. U have to bring it everyday and take on some challenging cases. Eventually people notice and u start getting more and more referrals that would have gone to your competition.

I think the same goes on for cards and vascular. No one has it easy these days. U still got to work hard to get the good cases. I work with some cardiologists at one hospital and they compete with each other and the really good ones are doing the PAD and the not so good guys are sticking with hearts only. I guess what it comes down to is that pick 1 path and excel at it and if u are good, eventually u will get there.

There is alot of doom and gloom but the really successful IR guys are staying aggressive and doing quite well. Please read IRwarriors comments above. It is a recipe for success and can be applied to any specialty.

Gluck

A radiology residency is really good for becoming an expert on diagnosing imaging which helps alot for IR however u are not getting the clinical training to manage patients like your medicine or surgical colleagues. I moonlighted my ass off as an ER doc/hospitalist through out my radiology residency and that built up my confidence in managing my IR patients but that is no where near as the skills of the medicine and vascular colleagues. So u have to be fearless and attack that weakpoint until it becomes a strong point.

Is there any place for doing a vascular medicine fellowship AFTER an IR fellowship? Is that an option?

I would like to be clinically sound and PAD work truly excites me (but not enough to do gen surg --> vascular surg :scared:). I have no problem working my tail off. I just worry about all the competition, as you said.

Final question: how widespread are the collaborative models that are so highly-touted on these forums? (where IR, cards, vascular work together) I have zero business acumen and would MUCH rather prefer joining an established practice. Is that a realistic notion or am I just being an idealistic med student?

There are many options.

U could do traditional rads and IR fellowship and just try to learn on the job and getting additional training doing courses (sponsored by Terumo, Boston Scientific, Cook Medical , Medtronic etc.., mini fellowships (1 week at BCVI or Dotter), try to get into a 1 year vascular medicine fellowship or do 1 year neuro IR or do a 1 year advance endovascular fellowship such as the following link.

http://www.fogartyinstitute.org/education.html

U could consider DIRECT pathway or even the 5 year integrated vascular surgery residency.

Alot has changed since I was a medical student so I encourage u to explore all your options. There is no perfect answer but I will tell you that whatever road u take, u can succeed in your goal of doing endovascular procedures.

I personally work for a 23 member radiology group. We have contracts with 8 hospitals. I work mainly at 2 400 bed hospitals. One of the hospitals I am doing cases on my own in the IR suite. I have very little interaction with vascular and cards. I feel there is a decent relationship and I have received PAD referals from vascular in the past, but the majority of the work is being done by vascular. Slowly I am starting to get some PAD referrals from internal medicine and family med. Then the other hospital I work at , there is very good relationship between cards , vascular and IR and we do cases in a much more collaborative effort. Cards is doing majority of the endovascular work here but I am getting some good cases from primary care, vascular and cards as well. It is totally dependent on the local environment.

U see in my case, when I joined my group we were doing 0% vascular work. We were barely doing any arterial work or any high end work. In the last 9 months we have expanded quite a bit with majority of the high work coming from interventional oncology (embolizations of HCC and other tumors , cryoablation of RCC, palliative procedures, pain procedures), womens health (fibroids embolizations, occlusion balloons for placenta accreta). I am getting referrals for PAD mainly from wound clinics in patients with nonhealing ulcers with intention for treating critical limb ischemia. This is an area where many specialties are still not doing much aggressive intervention and just resorting to amputation. Once u get in to this, then your vascular work can grow. I also do a fair amount of ESRD and venous access work where I get alot of referrals for SVC occlusion which I have recanalized and placed SVC stents. This has increased referrals from vascular surgery, nephrology and oncology.

Gluck

Last edited: