Bush, G15P5's and other things that drive you crazy...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DocCM said:
Thanks for replying to this thread. It's been a great discussion and continues that way.

As for your 1st point: Germany didn't attack us (ww2), nor did Iraq during the 1st gulf war. These were wars to defeat tyranny while defending our allies. I'm not sure you can say this Iraq war is immoral for this reason without calling of the rest of these wars unjustified/immoral.

Were the sanctions working? According the Saddam's own 2nd in command, the WMD's he did have were moved to Syria before the allied invasion:
http://www.nysun.com/article/26514?page_no=1
Granted, he is an expatriot trying to participate in a capitalist market by selling books, but if anyone would know the truth it would be him.

Edit: I had orginally included ww1 as an example, but had forgotten about the Lusitania.

Let's keep the thread alive!
CM

Based on treaties and even simple handshakes, our country has pretty much always agreed that we will not sit by and allow our close allies to be attacked or invaded. How you define ally is another topic, but I will assume Kuwait was our buddy for a decent reason. As was France and Britain if you recall. But this war was different. There was no imminent threat, and it was a piss poor "fake handoff" to try and make everyone believe that we were there in response to 9-11. Everyone talks about how F-911 was a liberally motivated movie and taken out of context, but if you go back and watch it again you will see that it was clearly BUSH himself saying those >1,000 times that the war was linked directly to the 911 attack. Its not like it was someone playing Bush, and its not like their were words injected into the audio!!! No amount of editing can create that cherade!! This war was without a real reason and is nothing like GW I. The truth will all be known one day and Bush will have a legacy of lies.

Members don't see this ad.

corpsmanUP said:
Based on treaties and even simple handshakes, our country has pretty much always agreed that we will not sit by and allow our close allies to be attacked or invaded. How you define ally is another topic, but I will assume Kuwait was our buddy for a decent reason. As was France and Britain if you recall. But this war was different. There was no imminent threat, and it was a piss poor "fake handoff" to try and make everyone believe that we were there in response to 9-11. Everyone talks about how F-911 was a liberally motivated movie and taken out of context, but if you go back and watch it again you will see that it was clearly BUSH himself saying those >1,000 times that the war was linked directly to the 911 attack. Its not like it was someone playing Bush, and its not like their were words injected into the audio!!! No amount of editing can create that cherade!! This war was without a real reason and is nothing like GW I. The truth will all be known one day and Bush will have a legacy of lies.
http://www.davekopel.org/terror/59Deceits.pdf

Just one of the sites discussing the "inaccuracies" of this movie. If you want Michael Moore to represent your political viewpoints, that's your decision. Just be aware of where his heart lies. He has absolutely no interest in the well being of the United States. He is a media nut who not only contributes to the DNC but according to the book "Do As I Say (Not As I Do) : Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy" -- by Peter Schweizer, actually owns stock in Halliburton(yes the same company he spends so much time defaming in his "documentary")! I believe that the truth will likely be heard one day, I just wonder if any of the major media outlets will be there to report it.
CM

Let me say Joel Stein is an ass. F him..Nuff said on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
DocCM said:
http://www.davekopel.org/terror/59Deceits.pdf

Just one of the sites discussing the "inaccuracies" of this movie. If you want Michael Moore to represent your political viewpoints, that's your decision. Just be aware of where his heart lies. He has absolutely no interest in the well being of the United States. He is a media nut who not only contributes to the DNC but according to the book "Do As I Say (Not As I Do) : Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy" -- by Peter Schweizer, actually owns stock in Halliburton(yes the same company he spends so much time defaming in his "documentary")! I believe that the truth will likely be heard one day, I just wonder if any of the major media outlets will be there to report it.
CM

You are going to have to do better than that DocCM. Did you think you would sway me to stop believing what I saw with my own eye on F-911 by pointing me to some rightwing propaganda? And you are complaining that Moore donated to the DNC? Your little story on the link you gave is stretching so hard to come up with something to discredit Moore. Trust me my friend, I don't like Michael Moore. I thought his movie was 95% pure entertainment and 5% eye opening. And the part that was eye opening to me was indisputable evidence that my president is a complete and utter idiot. The only other thing I gained from it was a reminder that I had been convinced for over a year prior to its release that we were UNDOUBTEDLY in Iraq because of a known link between Iraq and Al Qaeda. I almost left my first year of med school to rejoin my Marine unit who lost many a Marine in the first week of that war. I like to think I am a reasonably smart person, so if I was convinced that the war was justified in 2003, then what was the uneducated layperson to believe? All they had to go on was the media reports daily of Bush standing in front of a camera swearing to them that their twin towers of rubble were a direct result of Sadam Hussein. I mean lets be serious. Bin Laden hated Hussein because he was everything he hated in Americans.....money hungry, materialistic, and a sex addict!! There was no more collaboration between those two than there was between the Pope and
Robe Low in that sex video blowup!! :) But they are both white.....so I suppose so!! :laugh:

Lastly, here is one example of how your "buddy Kopel" attempts to twist the truth himself in order to make a point not worth making. The attached segment of the article is cut and pasted below. It refers to how Moore was somehow exaggerating when he said that there was only one enlisted member of Congress serving in Iraq...BOG (boots on the ground).

"Moore’s second statement is technically true, but duplicitous. Of course no-one would want to "sacrifice" his child in any way. But the fact is, Moore's opening ("only one") and his conclusion ("not a single member") are both incorrect. Sergeant Brooks Johnson, the son of South Dakota Democratic Senator Tim Johnson, serves in the 101st Airborne Division and fought in Iraq in 2003. The son of California Republican Representative Duncan Hunter quit his job after September 11, and enlisted in the Marines; his artillery unit was deployed in the heart of insurgent territory in February 2004. Delaware Senator Joseph Biden's son Beau is on active duty in the Judge Advocate General Corps; although Beau Biden has no control over where he is deployed, he has not been sent to Iraq, and therefore does not "count" for Moore's purposes. Seven members of Congress have been confirmed to have children in the military."

Your buddy Kopel refutes it by saying there were actually 2 members of congress who had kids who had served in Iraq. But what you are failing to see is that one was an officer (hence the term used by Moore and evidently not understood by you and your buddy Kopel.....ENLISTED). To become an officer, you do not enlist. Moore was specifically stating that there was one enlisted member from a congressional home. His ENTIRE story surrounded enlisted men and women and the way they are misled by ENLISTED military recruiters. But I'll give you credit and say Moore should have mentioned the officers as well. But even if I give you credit for this one, it comes to a combined total of TWO kids of congressmen serving in Iraq. It in no way changes the point he was making, which is that the VAST majority of ENLISTED servicemembers are young kids from underserved areas with few other choices...and not congressional homes. But your boy Kopel felt compelled to write an entire page on this one stupid fact that has no relevance to the issue.

Is Moore a liar.....embellisher....probably. Do I care? NO
Did Bush look like a complete idiot in that movie F-911? Yes.
Could you have taken every clip Ronald Reagan ever was filmed in and make a movie like that? NO....WHY, because he wasn't an idiot, and he didn't lie about the exact same issue more than a hundred times in front of a public camera.

Thats the issue, and thanks for wasting half an hour of my time with some poor reference. How about we practice a bit of evidence based politics here. I saw the movie F-911 with my own eyes, and the more you try and discredit it, the more I am simply going to tell you that it had one central message...that is indisputable....the connection between the war in Iraq and Al Qaeda. A BIG LIE......I don't care about the other scenes, because he certainly did not put words in Bush's mouth and he didn't hire an actor to play Bush. Bush, unfortunately, played himself!!!

corpsmanUP said:
You are going to have to do better than that DocCM. Did you think you would sway me to stop believing what I saw with my own eye on F-911 by pointing me to some rightwing propaganda? And you are complaining that Moore donated to the DNC? Your little story on the link you gave is stretching so hard to come up with something to discredit Moore. Trust me my friend, I don't like Michael Moore. I thought his movie was 95% pure entertainment and 5% eye opening. And the part that was eye opening to me was indisputable evidence that my president is a complete and utter idiot. The only other thing I gained from it was a reminder that I had been convinced for over a year prior to its release that we were UNDOUBTEDLY in Iraq because of a known link between Iraq and Al Qaeda. I almost left my first year of med school to rejoin my Marine unit who lost many a Marine in the first week of that war. I like to think I am a reasonably smart person, so if I was convinced that the war was justified in 2003, then what was the uneducated layperson to believe? All they had to go on was the media reports daily of Bush standing in front of a camera swearing to them that their twin towers of rubble were a direct result of Sadam Hussein. I mean lets be serious. Bin Laden hated Hussein because he was everything he hated in Americans.....money hungry, materialistic, and a sex addict!! There was no more collaboration between those two than there was between the Pope and
Robe Low in that sex video blowup!! :) But they are both white.....so I suppose so!! :laugh:

Lastly, here is one example of how your "buddy Kopel" attempts to twist the truth himself in order to make a point not worth making. The attached segment of the article is cut and pasted below. It refers to how Moore was somehow exaggerating when he said that there was only one enlisted member of Congress serving in Iraq...BOG (boots on the ground).

"Moore’s second statement is technically true, but duplicitous. Of course no-one would want to "sacrifice" his child in any way. But the fact is, Moore's opening ("only one") and his conclusion ("not a single member") are both incorrect. Sergeant Brooks Johnson, the son of South Dakota Democratic Senator Tim Johnson, serves in the 101st Airborne Division and fought in Iraq in 2003. The son of California Republican Representative Duncan Hunter quit his job after September 11, and enlisted in the Marines; his artillery unit was deployed in the heart of insurgent territory in February 2004. Delaware Senator Joseph Biden's son Beau is on active duty in the Judge Advocate General Corps; although Beau Biden has no control over where he is deployed, he has not been sent to Iraq, and therefore does not "count" for Moore's purposes. Seven members of Congress have been confirmed to have children in the military."

Your buddy Kopel refutes it by saying there were actually 2 members of congress who had kids who had served in Iraq. But what you are failing to see is that one was an officer (hence the term used by Moore and evidently not understood by you and your buddy Kopel.....ENLISTED). To become an officer, you do not enlist. Moore was specifically stating that there was one enlisted member from a congressional home. His ENTIRE story surrounded enlisted men and women and the way they are misled by ENLISTED military recruiters. But I'll give you credit and say Moore should have mentioned the officers as well. But even if I give you credit for this one, it comes to a combined total of TWO kids of congressmen serving in Iraq. It in no way changes the point he was making, which is that the VAST majority of ENLISTED servicemembers are young kids from underserved areas with few other choices...and not congressional homes. But your boy Kopel felt compelled to write an entire page on this one stupid fact that has no relevance to the issue.

Is Moore a liar.....embellisher....probably. Do I care? NO
Did Bush look like a complete idiot in that movie F-911? Yes.
Could you have taken every clip Ronald Reagan ever was filmed in and make a movie like that? NO....WHY, because he wasn't an idiot, and he didn't lie about the exact same issue more than a hundred times in front of a public camera.

Thats the issue, and thanks for wasting half an hour of my time with some poor reference. How about we practice a bit of evidence based politics here. I saw the movie F-911 with my own eyes, and the more you try and discredit it, the more I am simply going to tell you that it had one central message...that is indisputable....the connection between the war in Iraq and Al Qaeda. A BIG LIE......I don't care about the other scenes, because he certainly did not put words in Bush's mouth and he didn't hire an actor to play Bush. Bush, unfortunately, played himself!!!

"My buddy" Kopel is a registered Democrat who voted for Ralph Nader in the last election.
Look, obviously you and I disagree on this topic. If you feel discussing these issues "wasting your time," then don't. The point of my thread was to show that referencing Michael Moore is no different than referencing Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity. All three of them are partisan hacks. Saying you saw F911 with your own eyes is evidence based politics? I guess I could say I read Rush Limbaugh's last book "with my own eyes" (if I had) and that would qualify as evidence based politics? If you're not satisfied with my reference, do a simple google search and find your own- there's plenty out there. While you're at look for the lies he puts in his other movies bashing the auto industry(even though he owns Ford stock) and the defense industry. I'm not going to try to defend the clips in the movie. You've obviously fully discounted the possibility of intelligence failures and honestly, that's the only defense I would use, so why bother?

I rarely if ever discuss this topic as it tends to be so polarizing and personal to people. I respect your opinion on the topic and appreciate your frank discussion.

As I said, we obviously don't agree on this topic and I suggest before it gets anymore heated, we move on to something else.
CM

DocCM said:
I suggest before it gets anymore heated, we move on to something else.
CM

Yes, but if you do that, only the pathologist win. We certainly can't have that. Remember the point of this thread. :)

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff698 said:

Yes, but if you do that, only the pathologist win. We certainly can't have that. Remember the point of this thread. :)

Take care,
Jeff
I know, I know.
Maybe we can talk about something lighter, like the Seattle Seahawks infringing on the Texas A&M 12th Man trademark. ;)
CM

DocCM said:
"My buddy" Kopel is a registered Democrat who voted for Ralph Nader in the last election.
Look, obviously you and I disagree on this topic. If you feel discussing these issues "wasting your time," then don't. The point of my thread was to show that referencing Michael Moore is no different than referencing Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity. All three of them are partisan hacks. Saying you saw F911 with your own eyes is evidence based politics? I guess I could say I read Rush Limbaugh's last book "with my own eyes" (if I had) and that would qualify as evidence based politics? If you're not satisfied with my reference, do a simple google search and find your own- there's plenty out there. While you're at look for the lies he puts in his other movies bashing the auto industry(even though he owns Ford stock) and the defense industry. I'm not going to try to defend the clips in the movie. You've obviously fully discounted the possibility of intelligence failures and honestly, that's the only defense I would use, so why bother?

I rarely if ever discuss this topic as it tends to be so polarizing and personal to people. I respect your opinion on the topic and appreciate your frank discussion.

As I said, we obviously don't agree on this topic and I suggest before it gets anymore heated, we move on to something else.
CM

Listen man, I am not making this personal, but you wanted a debate so I gave you one. Your analogy of the Rush book was not a good argument because words on paper are not the same as actual words coming from someone's mouth. The words that came from Bush's mouth in that movie could not have been made up. The movie only reminded me some many months later that I had indeed (like every American) slowly been desynsitized to hearing the link about Iraq and Al Qaeda. When I saw the movie I just realized I had not heard that link in literally a YEAR!! It all but dried up and the entire war focus and cause shifted. It was a freaking Trojan Horse of a war and my brothers who died in it deserved to die for something better. Many died thinking they were dying for the 911 victims, because thats why they were told they were there. Well what are they dying for today...and tomorrow, and when will it actually make front page news again when 8 Marines get killed from an IED? It takes more than that now to trump an advertisement for The Bachelor Paris!! At least in GW I, every day we knew if our number was up that we had died honorably trying to complete the goal of ridding a country of an invader. The Kuwaitis loved us and were not trying to blow up our hummers. Today there is no goal, and the grunt is having to serve as a cop which he is NOT trained to do.

I don't need to do a google search....I heard the words from Bush's mouth just like you did. You can't edit statements that stupid without turning out complete jibberishm, which is what generally comes from his mouth anyway!! :laugh:

Let me know if you think I am getting to personal or heated...I just thought you would enjoy helping catch those path gurus!! ;)

We better get our ducks in a row because the real war is about to be one country east of Iraq. And those boys aren't going to run like the Iraqis.....at least not at first. And bet your a$$ we'll start having issues with the North Koreans about a month after we start throwing blows with the Iranians. Our military is spread extremely thin, and if things don't get better we will have a draft in the next 2 years.

Then the Iraq issue will no longer be an issue because we won't have the resources to keep there. But we'll have guys pulling 3 straight years in the desert without a stateside tour to speak of.

socuteMD said:
Well what failure rate do you think is acceptable? At what point do we say, "Sorry, your unintended pregnancy is such a statistical anomaly that we don't provide for it and you are just going to have to carry this child for 9 months. But you can give it away at the end, provided it is born without birth defects (because if it is born with birth defects, the adoptive parents will probably just disappear). Of course, you didn't know you were going to be pregnant, so there is a much higher likelihood since you weren't taking folic acid, and you probably were drinking alchohol and possibly using drugs that could affect the development (prescribed or not). And, of course, if you don't want to give the baby away we will happily stick you in a dangerous housing project and provide you with food stamps."

Actually, combining the pill and the male condom with your stats I get a failure rate of 36/10000 or 3.6 in 1000 - higher than the 1/1000 I cited, and frankly still far too high for comfort.
Don't even cite depo as a valid option. Of the women I've talked to who have used it (~10) only ONE has gotten a repeat dose. All the rest said it was just too miserable to try again.

As far as using ejaculatory withdrawal, ovulation, calendar, symptothermal - I am all for personal responsibility, but some of those require a LOT of work. I believe one of the methods, maybe symptothermal requires you to start your morning calmly by spending 15 mins in bed before you take your basal body temperature to establish what your fertility is that day. Do you have time to do that? I can tell you that I, as a single woman without kids, don't even have time to do that!!!

Have you used or even seen a female condom? I haven't used one, but I've seen one and how it's supposed to be used. Let's just say that it's not really going to add anything to the romantic nature of making love. It's basically like putting Saran Wrap between your legs.

Doctors need to be aware of what the birth control methods they are citing entail. From my experience, many are not. This thread is making that all the more clear.

3.6/1000 x 21/100 for the female condom gives you odds less than 1/1000. By "combo", I was implying any combo that gives you odds less than 1/1000 :) Also, I'm not so sure its entirely fair to quote actual failure rates anyway. I mean, it's not my fault--or the fetuses--that people don't learn how to correctly use a condom, forget to take their birth control pills, etc. It all goes back to personal responsibility. The fact is, there are birth control methods out there today that when used correctly can reduce your chance of getting pregnant to odds even less than the <1/1000 odds you can get using actual failure rates. This being said, I'm not sure how relevant these statistics are anyway. Those on the pro-life side will simply say that you should not have sex at all if you are not willing to have a child. Rape aside (which accounts for a small percentage of women who get abortions anyway), that birth control methods can fail or that some of them "take the intimacy out of sex" does not absolve the woman of her ultimate responsibility in freely choosing to partake in an act that left her pregnant. Abstinence may not be practical; however, it is certainly possible. On a strictly moral basis, those opposed to abortion have the upper hand. As other posters here have suggested, however, I'm not sure we are ready to outlaw abortion yet. So I will continue to begrudgingly support the legality of abortion, while secretly wishing we could abort the aborters themselves. Women being thrown in housing projects, being "forced" to carry unwanted babies, etc. will get no sympathy from me. (By the way, I don't mean to pick on women so much; I have just as much disdain for the men who are getting them pregnant).

socuteMD said:
Have you used or even seen a female condom?

Have I used a female condom??? As a male, I'll take this as a compliment! (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

corpsmanUP said:
Listen man, I am not making this personal, but you wanted a debate so I gave you one. Your analogy of the Rush book was not a good argument because words on paper are not the same as actual words coming from someone's mouth. The words that came from Bush's mouth in that movie could not have been made up. The movie only reminded me some many months later that I had indeed (like every American) slowly been desynsitized to hearing the link about Iraq and Al Qaeda. When I saw the movie I just realized I had not heard that link in literally a YEAR!! It all but dried up and the entire war focus and cause shifted. It was a freaking Trojan Horse of a war and my brothers who died in it deserved to die for something better. Many died thinking they were dying for the 911 victims, because thats why they were told they were there. Well what are they dying for today...and tomorrow, and when will it actually make front page news again when 8 Marines get killed from an IED? It takes more than that now to trump an advertisement for The Bachelor Paris!! At least in GW I, every day we knew if our number was up that we had died honorably trying to complete the goal of ridding a country of an invader. The Kuwaitis loved us and were not trying to blow up our hummers. Today there is no goal, and the grunt is having to serve as a cop which he is NOT trained to do.

I don't need to do a google search....I heard the words from Bush's mouth just like you did. You can't edit statements that stupid without turning out complete jibberishm, which is what generally comes from his mouth anyway!! :laugh:

Let me know if you think I am getting to personal or heated...I just thought you would enjoy helping catch those path gurus!! ;)

We better get our ducks in a row because the real war is about to be one country east of Iraq. And those boys aren't going to run like the Iraqis.....at least not at first. And bet your a$$ we'll start having issues with the North Koreans about a month after we start throwing blows with the Iranians. Our military is spread extremely thin, and if things don't get better we will have a draft in the next 2 years.

Then the Iraq issue will no longer be an issue because we won't have the resources to keep there. But we'll have guys pulling 3 straight years in the desert without a stateside tour to speak of.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. My eyes are getting tired reading 500 word posts ;) . In all seriousness, I do appreciate a good debate on the topic.
CM

Members don't see this ad :)
As for a draft. I would be very suprised to see a draft. Military leaders don't want it, republicans don't want it, and most democrats don't want it. One of the many leasons learned in Vietnam was that a conscripted soldier is much less desirable than a volunteer one.
CM

DocCM said:
As for a draft. I would be very suprised to see a draft. Military leaders don't want it, republicans don't want it, and most democrats don't want it. One of the many leasons learned in Vietnam was that a conscripted soldier is much less desirable than a volunteer one.
CM

That is all well and good, but the fact is that we are closer than ever to a multiple-theater war with Iran, Iraq, and then the floogate opens. If you don't think people like Syria and Lebanon won't come trying to kick a man when he's down, think again. We barely have the resources to fight this insurgency in Iraq. We have rotated virtually every national guard and reserve unit in the country there twice. Add Iran, and you will have a draft I assure you. We don't have the soldiers even to protect our country back home should you send the appropriate numbers of troops to the Iran region. It could get ugly fast. I have seen the indications that tell me we are way overstretched.

1) Physicians doing 15 months on active duty when they were all told they would never do more than 3.
2) National Guard units being deployed over 26 months
3) Army physician billets being backfilled by Navy GMO's.
4) Holdovers so common its scary....I mean your son signs a contract for 4 years active duty in 2002, has literally been in Iraq 3 tours and finished his obligation and is ready to go to college. But Bush invoked the rule to keep him "indefinitely" which send him back for a 4th tour.
5) Retirement holdovers....a buddy of mine wanted to retire in 2002, but was considered "essential" and is on "indefinite" holdover.

This is called a "backdoor" draft and anyone who has even been in the military knows it. We ask these people to risk their lives but we give them no light at the end of the tunnel. The military member always survives because you know that light is somewhere out there, even if it is the size of a pinhole. The word "infinite" feels really demoralizing when you are in the suck, day after day after day.

How would you like it if your residency director had the ability to ignore your contract and just have you continue your last year "indefinitely" until the needs of the busy ED were met by hiring new faculty. Makes a lot of sense to make you work for 40K and take your time replacing you with someone who will require 200K+. Its just backward logic.

I am completely against a draft, but I am also completely against an unnecessary war. If the whole Iran thing blows up in our faces, it will likely be necessary to have the resources to end it quickly (quickly in that scenario means about 2 years and loss of probably 20-30K men). A draft will likely be the only answer, or the only fair answer to all the guys breaking their back to help pretend that we don't need extra manpower. Anyone seen a lot of cars these days parked out front your military recruiter's shop? I have not.

corpsmanUP said:
The words that came from Bush's mouth in that movie could not have been made up. The movie only reminded me some many months later that I had indeed (like every American) slowly been desynsitized to hearing the link about Iraq and Al Qaeda. When I saw the movie I just realized I had not heard that link in literally a YEAR!! It all but dried up and the entire war focus and cause shifted. It was a freaking Trojan Horse of a war and my brothers who died in it deserved to die for something better. Many died thinking they were dying for the 911 victims, because thats why they were told they were there.

I think this is one of the points I was trying to make about why I didn't like Bush (when this whole thread started). Bush has continuously changed his rhetoric as to why this war is happening, and NO ONE is speaking up about it. If you think about it, since this war has begun, how many different reasons has Bush brought up as to why we're over there? And when one is no longer plausable (WMD?!?), then he discards it and moves on to a new one (terrorism). The fact that he is allowed to just change his justification for the war sickens me. He isn't at all being held accountable for what he's said in the past.

corpsmanUP said:
That is all well and good, but the fact is that we are closer than ever to a multiple-theater war with Iran, Iraq, and then the floogate opens. If you don't think people like Syria and Lebanon won't come trying to kick a man when he's down, think again. We barely have the resources to fight this insurgency in Iraq. We have rotated virtually every national guard and reserve unit in the country there twice. Add Iran, and you will have a draft I assure you. We don't have the soldiers even to protect our country back home should you send the appropriate numbers of troops to the Iran region. It could get ugly fast. I have seen the indications that tell me we are way overstretched.

1) Physicians doing 15 months on active duty when they were all told they would never do more than 3.
2) National Guard units being deployed over 26 months
3) Army physician billets being backfilled by Navy GMO's.
4) Holdovers so common its scary....I mean your son signs a contract for 4 years active duty in 2002, has literally been in Iraq 3 tours and finished his obligation and is ready to go to college. But Bush invoked the rule to keep him "indefinitely" which send him back for a 4th tour.
5) Retirement holdovers....a buddy of mine wanted to retire in 2002, but was considered "essential" and is on "indefinite" holdover.

This is called a "backdoor" draft and anyone who has even been in the military knows it. We ask these people to risk their lives but we give them no light at the end of the tunnel. The military member always survives because you know that light is somewhere out there, even if it is the size of a pinhole. The word "infinite" feels really demoralizing when you are in the suck, day after day after day.

How would you like it if your residency director had the ability to ignore your contract and just have you continue your last year "indefinitely" until the needs of the busy ED were met by hiring new faculty. Makes a lot of sense to make you work for 40K and take your time replacing you with someone who will require 200K+. Its just backward logic.

I am completely against a draft, but I am also completely against an unnecessary war. If the whole Iran thing blows up in our faces, it will likely be necessary to have the resources to end it quickly (quickly in that scenario means about 2 years and loss of probably 20-30K men). A draft will likely be the only answer, or the only fair answer to all the guys breaking their back to help pretend that we don't need extra manpower. Anyone seen a lot of cars these days parked out front your military recruiter's shop? I have not.

And I completely agree with the "backdoor draft" that's already occuring. Its called a "stop loss" order (here, read this http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-01-05-army-troops_x.htm)

How is this even justified?

I'm not going to promote a draft, as I am very much against it. The armed services are actually meeting all of thier goals as reported by the DOD. I'm sure you were just driving by the recruiter's office on Sunday. ;) The problem is that these goals are far below what they once were in the '80's, making our current military streched too thin.
If we do need an immediate force for Iran, I'm not sure how instating a draft would provide it. It's not something that could be implemented overnight. In addition, 18 year old people don't sign a piece of paper and all of the sudden become trained soldiers- it takes time.
http://www.defenselink.mil/prhome/docs/FY06_Q1_recruitsumm.pdf
If we do seek a military solution in Iran, it will have to be with the assistance of other countries who feel Iran is as big a threat to the world as we do.
CM

DocCM said:
I'm not going to promote a draft, as I am very much against it. The armed services are actually meeting all of thier goals as reported by the DOD. I'm sure you were just driving by the recruiter's office on Sunday. ;) The problem is that these goals are far below what they once were in the '80's, making our current military streched too thin.
If we do need an immediate force for Iran, I'm not sure how instating a draft would provide it. It's not something that could be implemented overnight. In addition, 18 year old people don't sign a piece of paper and all of the sudden become trained soldiers- it takes time.
http://www.defenselink.mil/prhome/docs/FY06_Q1_recruitsumm.pdf
If we do seek a military solution in Iran, it will have to be with the assistance of other countries who feel Iran is as big a threat to the world as we do.
CM

I could care less what some bureaucratic suit says. I can tell you that if you give me a long haired Krispy Kreme eating, tongue pierced, tatoo'd 18 year old, and a ticket to Paris Island, South Carolina, he will come home a killing machine in 13 weeks. Add another 13 weeks to that and he will be a fighting, killing machine that knows how to work with other fighting, killing machines. Boot camp and advanced infantry training can be streamlined in wartime to be completed quite successfully in about 4 months total in the Marine Corps. We do this on both coasts for the Marines, and the Army does this similar but even shorter task (takes less time to be an Army pogue :laugh: ) at about 5 times as many locations. You can seriously ramp up the numbers quickly and do it effectively. The problem is that you have to have people to fill the spots, and soon unless there is a draft there will be no young urban poor kids to fill these spots. Then you have to start taking kids out of good jobs, and older guys up to like 23-25 who already have their lives started. Thats when you will know its serious, and thats when we'll all be really freaking pissed that we still have a quarter million US servicemembers in Iraq playing LA Gang Task Force essentially.

excellent posts everyone. The abuse of the military by the currewnt admin sickens me. Don't even get me started on Rumsfeld. That guy is grossly incompetent and should have been fired long ago. What scares me the most is that if something major goes down, we have no resources to deal with it. As C said most units acitve, reserve, and NG have been run through on deployment twice over. These folks are people with lives and families. Not commodities or machines. When you do this type of thing fighting effectiveness and morale will suffer. When any brass voices this concern they are relieved or forced to retire. See Gen Shinseki. I fear this admin will in essence break the military leaving us unable to respond when it counts. Do you think the Iranians would be acting up if they knew we werent stretched so thin?

corpsmanUP said:

You know, this is one of your very best ideas.

BKN

3.6/1000 x 21/100 for the female condom gives you odds less than 1/1000. By "combo", I was implying any combo that gives you odds less than 1/1000 :)
the 3.6/1000 is I believe for male condoms used in conjunction with the pil.. I guess yeah if you throw in a female condom as well then you would be getting below 1 in 1000 but that would be a little silly. Why not just make love with a blow up doll.

Also, I'm not so sure its entirely fair to quote actual failure rates anyway. I mean, it's not my fault--or the fetuses--that people don't learn how to correctly use a condom, forget to take their birth control pills, etc. It all goes back to personal responsibility.
Agreed but you have to understand that things happen, the consequences of this though http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band50/b50-3.html states a combined pill gets you to just under 1 in 1000 per yr.

On a strictly moral basis, those opposed to abortion have the upper hand. As other posters here have suggested, however, I'm not sure we are ready to outlaw abortion yet. So I will continue to begrudgingly support the legality of abortion, while secretly wishing we could abort the aborters themselves. Women being thrown in housing projects, being "forced" to carry unwanted babies, etc. will get no sympathy from me. (By the way, I don't mean to pick on women so much; I have just as much disdain for the men who are getting them pregnant).
I honestly dont think that as a society we will be ready to outlaw abortion anytime soon. I assume you all saw the data I posted about how having legalized abortions has decreased the crime rate. Interesting study from some very famous economists. ;)

Let me say this plain and simple.. I have no love for Bush or any of the other politicians (those on either side of the political aisle). I will say this, when 911 happened I was thankful that we didnt have some pussyfooting liberal in office. I am again a registered independent but IMO Gore would have say on his hands saying we need to be sure about who it is and he would have wasted a lot of time. Now a strong pro-military liberal would be fine but Al gore is not that. Of course he invented the internet so I guess anything is possible. BTW I didnt vote in that election but if I did I would have voted for Gore (and im registered to vote in Florida ;))

EF, I agree that I wanted decisive action after 9/11, but Iraq has nothing to do with that. The real area we should have been worried about was Afghanistan. We half a$$ed that mission and Bin laden and crew got away. Now he releases a new LP once a year talking trash. If we had expended half the resources on Afghanistan as Iraq I believe we would have caught him.

Believe me I was working the night we went into Iraq and my boss was ex-army and he was all about it. I was like man this is a bad idea. I agree on half assing Bin Laden, in some ways going to Iraq seemed like a good way to shift the attention of the Bin Laden chase.

To be honest Clinton 1/4 assed it too in his chase of Osama

cattail said:
EF, I agree that I wanted decisive action after 9/11, but Iraq has nothing to do with that. The real area we should have been worried about was Afghanistan. We half a$$ed that mission and Bin laden and crew got away. Now he releases a new LP once a year talking trash. If we had expended half the resources on Afghanistan as Iraq I believe we would have caught him.

But what they've managed to do, is claim Iraq does have something to do with "the war on terror" (ie. 9/11) This admin is twisting itself to justify a war, when in fact, the entire "true" pretense for the war will always remain unknown.

Agreed it is clear that iraq had nothing directly to do with 9/11 but Saddam did support terrorist activities through homocide bombers in Israel. I dont agree with our decision to go in there but I will say that I hope we get out ASAP.

DocCM said:
I know, I know.
Maybe we can talk about something lighter, like the Seattle Seahawks infringing on the Texas A&M 12th Man trademark. ;)
CM

WHAT?! They did WHAT?

See, my sucky-Texans have so completely sucked my interest in pro football outta me that I didn't even realize they were still playing (they're in the SuperBowl, right?

Seriously, what's up with the 12th man thing?

Take care,
Jeff

EctopicFetus said:
but IMO Gore would have say on his hands saying we need to be sure about who it is and he would have wasted a lot of time.

So what you're advocating is a shoot first and ask questions later approach? Screw it if we invade a country who didn't actually have anything to do with attacking us?

Oh, wait...that's what we actually did. Indeed, from your perspective, we are better off without Gore.

You'll have to put me square in the Gore camp when it comes to being "sure about who it is" before committing a ton of American lives in retaliation.

Take care,
Jeff

EctopicFetus said:
To be honest Clinton 1/4 assed it too in his chase of Osama

Man, Ectopic, you're just giving me lots of material this morning (and to think you wanted me to post more :laugh: ).

I find it highly amusing that the folks that had nothing but open distain for the Clinton administration now use it daily as a benchmark for their performance.

Take care,
Jeff

Hey I am a clinton fan.. but like a lot of liberals the dude wanted no part of war for any reason. I think he did A LOT of great things. I am simply referring to his ***** footing the whole war thing. Shooting a couple of missles into Afghanistan trying to take out Osama was a waste. Perhaps you are misinterpreting my overall stance (of course feeling less than great from EtOH could make my posts a little less clear..

IMO if Gore were president we would still be sitting on our hands here in the US and Afghanistan would be in the same spot it was in before. I just dont think he had the cojones to go to war. I am 100% for what we did in Afghanistan but totally vs the war in iraq.

BTW jeff I think this thread and the other have you getting that much closer to the 1 post per day figure we hoped you would reach! :)

I have another topic to interest some of you hopefully, and in the interest of catching the path gurus, here goes. I have a serious ferel cat problem in my backyard. I back up to an alley that is grass and wooded, and there are some 5-10 wild cats back there at any given time. Its because the idiot across the street from me places a dozen food bowls out every day around sunset, and they all migrate to his house. I talked to him about it and he suggested I spend the money to have them all spayed and neutered if I didn't like it. I told him I was tired of them getting into my shed, garage, city trash can (that is closed nonetheless....smart f-ers!!). He said he didn't really give a damn, and that they were "good for rats". I don't have a rat problem, but I do have a cat problem. Last night I was awakened by some sort of cat orgy in my backyard and I went outside with a flashlight to see like a dozen cats having a cat gang fight, and one of them ended up being dead in my yard this AM. My little chihuahua is scared to death to leave the back door and is not pissing the freaking carpet!!!

That was it! I went to the city animal shelter today and got a trap, and I am seriously thinking about buying a pellet gun. That is only because my 40 caliber SigSauer, and my .380 S&W, are too loud and powerful. I don't want to have to clean up another mess like today. I have the trap baited as we speak and I plan on getting rid of them one by one. But if I find one in my garage again eating my dog's food, I might fill it with pellets!! Any idea if pellet guns on your own property and in your own backyard are legal? I don't have a lot of options as of now and I am way sick and tired of this B-****!!

Opinions.....

Well corpsman.. The laws on pellet guns etc vary by your local govt.

Oh BTW I know you are/were considering Christ.. FYI NO guns in Chicago only the police are allowed to have them (of course it didnt stop Chicago from having the highest per capita murder rate in the US a yr or 2 ago).

Good luck with the cats.. This might be a dumb question but what are you gonna do with those cats after you trap them?

Just saw H Dean on TV and while I think the repubs should be put on a skewer for the Abramoff thing Dean makes himself look like an ass everytime I see that ***** open his mouth. IMO the repubs are doing a decent job keeping the heat off for now though I think enough will come out that they will get destroyed.. But H Dean saying we (the dems) never took $$ from Abramoff or his lobbyists, then became we never money directly from him but some people took $$ from the Indians.. Then it is we never knowingly took the money and it never influenced us.. What a joke. This guy is a *****..

The city comes and picks them up within 6 hours and leaves you with a fresh new trap. The problem is at the rate that these things are reproducing that might not be fast enough!!

Chicago can ban whatever they want, but they'll have to come take it out of my gun case in my closet if they want it. Texas has the best gun laws....totally protects the property owner and the traveler who drives with a gun in the vehicle. It doesn't even make sense to have a concealed license now because you don't need one unless you want to be some rightwing Ted Nugent-like idiot and carry it with you into the mall. If I need to carry a gun into the mall, then I need to move! But be damn sure if you think you will jump in my car and carjack me that you'll have about .7 seconds before you have a posterior pharyngeal ornament!!

Actually I think the only reason I would use a pellet gun would be if I caught something semi-dangerous like a coon or a possum. I'm not counting on some city truck to show up while my chihuahua is crapping in my back bedroom because he's shaking like he's got heroin withdrawl! Porr dog shakes anyway below about 70 degrees..!!!

Did I mention that I absolutely hate ferel cats? No question about it. I might just have to get the old cami paint out and go hunting with my Streamlight flashlight after dark. War is on Morris!!!

Jeff698 said:
WHAT?! They did WHAT?

See, my sucky-Texans have so completely sucked my interest in pro football outta me that I didn't even realize they were still playing (they're in the SuperBowl, right?

Seriously, what's up with the 12th man thing?

Take care,
Jeff
It's actually gotten pretty serious! A&M holds the trademark for the 12th Man as you may know. The Seahawks have long been using the term for their fan base, but becasue they've sucked for so long, it never became an issue. Well, now they're in the big game and getting mucho press, the powers that be at A&M are pursuing legal action. I think they've already had some success with stopping them, but it's still ongoing. There was a story on ESPN.com the other day (I'm too lazy to find the link, sorry). It's pretty funny IMO, but I guess what's the point in having a trademark if you're not going to protect it right?
CM

Wow..EU comes out vs Hamas

The palestinians get a LOT of money...

The EU provides the PA about $600 million US a year, and Israel collects about $650 million US a year for the PA.

The U.S. has already said that it might cut aid worth $400 million US.

Thats a lot of money to just "give" someone...$1.65B per yr..

EctopicFetus said:
Wow..EU comes out vs Hamas

The palestinians get a LOT of money...

Thats a lot of money to just "give" someone...$1.65B per yr..
That situation is either a huge powder keg, ready to blow, or a great opportunity for the development of a peaceful relationship between the Jews and Muslims. I betting on the former.
CM

Gosh.. whats wrong with those people.. I think thats another thing about conservatives that drive me crazy they tend to be more agreeable to censorship and bs like that. It really annoys the you know what out of me. I was growing up in Miami when people tried to ban the 2 live crew. IMO let the market forces dictate what happens.

EctopicFetus said:
IMO if Gore were president we would still be sitting on our hands here in the US and Afghanistan would be in the same spot it was in before. I just dont think he had the cojones to go to war. I am 100% for what we did in Afghanistan but totally vs the war in iraq.

I don't think there is a president alive who would not have gone into Afghanistan. That was about as clear as it gets. Iraq on the other hand...

BTW, I don't think lack of cojones was the issue. Certainly didn't stop him from going serving in Vietnam. Hmmm, for some reason a contrast wants to emerge here but I'm not quit sure who it would be with. Anyone wanna prod my memory?

I'm still not sure why people think it takes more balls to go to war from the safety of a desk in Washington than it does to refrain from doing so when you know its the wrong decision despite the popular urges from the media.

I happen to think GWI showed immense guts (and lack of cajones certainly wasn't an issue for him) by not overthrowing Saddam back in the day. It took a lot of character for him to not press on with the war despite all the wingers in his party demanding it. Perhaps he had a better understanding of the issues then than his son does now.

Take care,
Jeff

corpsmanUP said:
Any idea if pellet guns on your own property and in your own backyard are legal?

Not sure if it's legal or not but I think it is certainly a good idea. Aim for their nuts and just say you're taking your neighbor up on his offer.

Or buy a bigger dog. :)

Take care,
Jeff

debtridden said:
Just another day at the office for the Bush administration: Censorship.

"...the Bush administration has tried to stop him from speaking out since he gave a lecture last month calling for prompt reductions in emissions of greenhouse gases linked to global warming".

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/s...&en=df8f81d4867a2143&ei=5094&partner=homepage

See, hear is another one of those times when I would get kicked out of a liberal campaign ralley (along with when I mention hating ferel cats and wouldn't mind seeing them gas'd with VX!!). I have heard arguments on both sides of the issue relating to global warming and I am just not convinced. There are cycles in weather that just don't always make sense, but its not like there haven't been strange years before. Emissions were at their worst when I was a kid in the 70's. I remember never being able to see downtown Houston from my home and now you can see it clearly...well somewhat clearly. I also remember LA being so smoggy you weren't sure if it was going to rain or if the sun was going down...at 2PM!! Now its still hazy a lot there but not like it used to be. Now you can often see the Malibu hills from points as far south as Rodondo Beach and Venice. And I remember back then having winters so bad in Houston that there was an inch think of ice on the street at Christmas. I also remember when the Mississippi was frozen as far south as St. Louis. And then I also remember many a Christmas at home that was 75 degrees and humid. Its just dependent on too many variables. Even the hurricane cycle was similar to this one back in the 50's and 60's. My own mother listens to XM all day trying to find some BS story about the thawing polar ice caps so she can complain. But I just am not onboard with this as of yet. Perhaps when Houston becomes beachfront I will believe it, but until then, I'll prepare for another winter like we had THIS DECEMBER. Has anyone forgotten that it was like 15 degrees on the high side between Pittsburgh and Chicago for like the entire month of December? I nearly lost a digit looking for my car in the parking lot in Iowa City the night before my interview. And whats funny is it doesn't matter if its butt freezing cold or burning a$$ hot, there is someone who will always blame that day's weather on global warming. I think there are many better reasons that global warming to become less reliant on middle east oil.

corpsmanUP said:
See, hear is another one of those times when I would get kicked out of a liberal campaign ralley (along with when I mention hating ferel cats and wouldn't mind seeing them gas'd with VX!!). I have heard arguments on both sides of the issue relating to global warming and I am just not convinced. There are cycles in weather that just don't always make sense, but its not like there haven't been strange years before. Emissions were at their worst when I was a kid in the 70's. I remember never being able to see downtown Houston from my home and now you can see it clearly...well somewhat clearly. I also remember LA being so smoggy you weren't sure if it was going to rain or if the sun was going down...at 2PM!! Now its still hazy a lot there but not like it used to be. Now you can often see the Malibu hills from points as far south as Rodondo Beach and Venice. And I remember back then having winters so bad in Houston that there was an inch think of ice on the street at Christmas. I also remember when the Mississippi was frozen as far south as St. Louis. And then I also remember many a Christmas at home that was 75 degrees and humid. Its just dependent on too many variables. Even the hurricane cycle was similar to this one back in the 50's and 60's. My own mother listens to XM all day trying to find some BS story about the thawing polar ice caps so she can complain. But I just am not onboard with this as of yet. Perhaps when Houston becomes beachfront I will believe it, but until then, I'll prepare for another winter like we had THIS DECEMBER. Has anyone forgotten that it was like 15 degrees on the high side between Pittsburgh and Chicago for like the entire month of December? I nearly lost a digit looking for my car in the parking lot in Iowa City the night before my interview. And whats funny is it doesn't matter if its butt freezing cold or burning a$$ hot, there is someone who will always blame that day's weather on global warming. I think there are many better reasons that global warming to become less reliant on middle east oil.
Couldn't agree more. It sucks that this is a partisan issue instead of what it really is: an issue of junk science and fear mongering. Nevermind the subjective evidence you sighted ( just for the record, it snowed on the Texas gulf coast last Christmas for the first time in many years, and much of Colorado is having record snowfall this year), there's no concrete evidence of anything, other than weather is a cyclical phenomenon. I'll say this, global warming is at least a better scapegoat for the hurricanes than Ray Nagin's theory that "God is angry at us."
CM

DocCM said:
Couldn't agree more. It sucks that this is a partisan issue instead of what it really is: an issue of junk science and fear mongering. Nevermind the subjective evidence you sighted ( just for the record, it snowed on the Texas gulf coast last Christmas for the first time in many years, and much of Colorado is having record snowfall this year), there's no concrete evidence of anything, other than weather is a cyclical phenomenon. I'll say this, global warming is at least a better scapegoat for the hurricanes than Ray Nagin's theory that "God is angry at us."
CM

George Bush and Ray Nagin were separated at birth I am convinced. I would sooner have Ali G as my president. George Bush 1 had my respect both as a service member and a citizen. He had sense, and he had a strong record of serving in combat himself as a heroic fighter pilot. Evidently Barbara Bush rode the short bus to school because otherwise there is no explanation for how GW2 turned out to be an idiot.

And Jeff, I do have an older much bigger English Foxhound/Beagle mix but she is 14 and on doggie hospice. I let her outside and she just gives the cats that Tony Soprano look like to say "fugetaboutit". So I'll have to wait for until she is gone before I get another dog. My chihuahua is only 3 pounds and 6 months old, and would be a meal for those cats. The trap is baited though tonight with some seriously rank canned clams. I am so excited I can hardly keep from going out and checking it every 5 minutes :)

Also, Jeff, I finally was completely fever free today.....so you are now off my ten most wanted list :p I might even hit the gym tomorrow.

corpsmanUP said:
George Bush and Ray Nagin were separated at birth I am convinced. I would sooner have Ali G as my president. George Bush 1 had my respect both as a service member and a citizen. He had sense, and he had a strong record of serving in combat himself as a heroic fighter pilot. Evidently Barbara Bush rode the short bus to school because otherwise there is no explanation for how GW2 turned out to be an idiot.

And Jeff, I do have an older much bigger English Foxhound/Beagle mix but she is 14 and on doggie hospice. I let her outside and she just gives the cats that Tony Soprano look like to say "fugetaboutit". So I'll have to wait for until she is gone before I get another dog. My chihuahua is only 3 pounds and 6 months old, and would be a meal for those cats. The trap is baited though tonight with some seriously rank canned clams. I am so excited I can hardly keep from going out and checking it every 5 minutes :)

Also, Jeff, I finally was completely fever free today.....so you are now off my ten most wanted list :p I might even hit the gym tomorrow.
I guess even a post where I agree with something you say spins into Bush bashing. I give up. :laugh:
CM

corpsmanUP said:

Speaking of Ali G, is his show coming back or what??? We should start a thread on that guy!