Boston University vs Brown Alpert Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medsudman99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if you had the opportunity to go to either of these schools which would you choose. I'm trying to decide basicaly if city or name is more important. I feel that would enjoy Boston much more than Providence but is an ivy league better? I would like to hear your opinions on which you would choose and why.

Members don't see this ad.

It's 4 years of your life and it really doesn't matter what medical school you go to in the end. Go wherever you will be happy. Just take a look at the match lists from each school they are both very impressive.

Medical school is stressful enough and you only live once, so seriously, just go where you will be happy.

You can still enjoy Boston from Providence, the cities are only a stone's throw away from each other. Heck, the commuter rail will take you from Providence to south station for $8 bucks.

Go to Brown. They have many excellent home residency programs, and Ivy will give you a feather in your cap (despite what the haters may say). I talked to an internist this weekend who did med school at bu and residency at an ivy. He said patients routinely comment on his ivy credentials. For better or for worse, non medical people (ie your patients) may care about your schools name. Yeah, its SDN heresy, I know, but it does happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I get both view points you give. To me it seems like going to an Ivy would be great. But then again is it worth not being in Boston. I understand that Providence is right there but what about when i do rotations my 3rd and 4th year. Wouldn't it be a better experience in Boston hospitals as you will see more stuff. Idk. Its really a tough decision and would like to hear some more views on it.

Both schools are good. Like it or not, the ivy school will open up doors down the road that BU may not. If you have any interest in an academic career then I would choose brown.

Both schools are good. Like it or not, the ivy school will open up doors down the road that BU may not. If you have any interest in an academic career then I would choose brown.
brown isn't what i'd call an academic heavyweight in medicine.

I agree with that, but it still has that ivy name and that does help in some situations.

Do you rather train at one of three medical schools in Boston, or the only medical school in the entire state of RI? Do you rather be part of a big class, or a small class of 100? Do you rather train at old facilities, or a completely new building put up for medical students?

Some things to think about...

So if you had the opportunity to go to either of these schools which would you choose. I'm trying to decide basicaly if city or name is more important. I feel that would enjoy Boston much more than Providence but is an ivy league better? I would like to hear your opinions on which you would choose and why.

Brown Medical School pretty much is only known for the name and Ivy league status. It doesn't really produce good physicians.

I would choose the Undergrad just for the name, and then apply to all other programs

Brown Medical School pretty much is only known for the name and Ivy league status. It doesn't really produce good physicians.

Wow. What? On what basis could you possibly suggest Brown doesn't produce good physicians?

OP, I suggest Brown because of the new facilities, small class size, and likely more financial aid. Regardless, both are excellent schools. Congratulations on your acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)

I would choose the Undergrad just for the name, and then apply to all other programs

This is some next-level herp-a-derp...

Do you rather train at one of three medical schools in Boston, or the only medical school in the entire state of RI? Do you rather be part of a big class, or a small class of 100? Do you rather train at old facilities, or a completely new building put up for medical students?

Some things to think about...

Am I the only grammar nazi on sdn? These awkward sentence structures don't make anyone else instinctively twitch a little more with each successsive sentence?

I agree with that, but it still has that ivy name and that does help in some situations.
just one - impressing your mom's friends

boston is less than an hour from providence, so the harvard vortex sucks the air out of RI as well

Am I the only grammar nazi on sdn? These awkward sentence structures don't make anyone else instinctively twitch a little more with each successsive sentence?
it's a losing battle..

Yeah I get both view points you give. To me it seems like going to an Ivy would be great. But then again is it worth not being in Boston. I understand that Providence is right there but what about when i do rotations my 3rd and 4th year. Wouldn't it be a better experience in Boston hospitals as you will see more stuff. Idk. Its really a tough decision and would like to hear some more views on it.

Wow, I'm just reading through this thread and realizing that there are a lot of people hating on Brown for very subjective reasons. I would agree that an Ivy name probably doesn't mean that much and if you want to go to Boston to punch out on the fun meter for a few years, you can't go wrong with BU. But I would disregard all the nonsense about about Brown being a lousy school. IMO

Just go and see the schools for yourself. Maybe I have a bias because I've trained at the BMC, but to me BU and Brown was almost no contest. BU loses in terms of facilities and innovation compared to Brown (IMO), and I just cannot see BU rapidly advancing in the next 5-10 years. To address the part about Brown "not being a heavyweight in medicine" - I think the same can be said about BU...so I don't see that as a valid argument? They are both solid mid-range schools.

That said, I withdrew my acceptance at BU after getting into Brown. They just felt like universes apart when I visited both during my interview days. I'm looking forward to Brown's revisit (even though I probably won't attend....I just like Brown so much that I still want to go back to revisit). I think the vibe you get at the two places should be sufficient to set apart the two schools for you.

(Boston does win over Providence, though. But having lived in Boston for 4 years, I feel like if you want All That, you need to head south for 4 hours. Otherwise, it's not terribly different.)

I'd go with brown, but their both great schools.

And guys. this isn't undergrad. While prestige may matter, the "ivy" name will not. Dartmouth and Brown are both great med schools, but not in the same league as many non ivy's like UM, WashU, Duke, Vandy, Pitt, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, UW, etc.

And guys. this isn't undergrad. While prestige may matter, the "ivy" name will not. Dartmouth and Brown are both great med schools, but not in the same league as many non ivy's like UM, WashU, Duke, Vandy, Pitt, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, UW, etc.

While I generally agree with this SDN dogma, there is a real prestige associated with ivies, and its a little disingenuous to completely ignore it. Not everyone is a residency program director, and people are sometimes curious enough to actually read the degrees on the wall (as mentioned earlier). There's no use in simply ignoring it.

In a earlier thread on this topic, a poster aptly described prestige as "the lack of a need to defend my school's quality" to those outside of medicine. I love UM and Pitt as much as any other pre-med, but people outside of medicine are largely ignorant of their reputations within the field. I indeed had to "defend" my excitement for these interviews when I mentioned them in front of my coworkers in the biotech industry.

Ranking wise these schools really aren't much different. Some of you are saying don't ever give up the chance to go to an ivy while the others are bashing Brown lol. I think I'm leaning towards Brown now because they seem to be rising on the rankings which means they must be doing something right. I remember a few years ago their ranking was 34 and now they are 29. And I really like the new curriculum they have implemented. And you cant go wrong with a new medical school building.

While I generally agree with this SDN dogma, there is a real prestige associated with ivies, and its a little disingenuous to completely ignore it. Not everyone is a residency program director, and people are sometimes curious enough to actually read the degrees on the wall (as mentioned earlier). There's no use in simply ignoring it.

In a earlier thread on this topic, a poster aptly described prestige as "the lack of a need to defend my school's quality" to those outside of medicine. I love UM and Pitt as much as any other pre-med, but people outside of medicine are largely ignorant of their reputations within the field. I indeed had to "defend" my excitement for these interviews when I mentioned them in front of my coworkers in the biotech industry.

Trust me, I know (I go to Pitt). People were confused as hell when I told them I would go to Pitt over Tufts :)eek:) or even Columbia :)eek::eek:). However, their opinion isn't what matters, its those of residency directors, fellowship directors, etc. While very, very few patients may insist on having their Harvard trained surgeon, even those won't insist on an "ivy league trained." What will ultimately determine my job prospects will by my performance within medical school, my residency, and my fellowship, for which medical school prestige may matter, but ivy league association does not.

Of course, you have to be honest with yourself. If hearing laypeople go "Oooo" :love: when you tell them where you go to school is important to you, then you should take that into account. Your mother may feel better about telling her friends that your at Dartmouth or Brown then at WashU even. It's all about what matters to you.

What will ultimately determine my job prospects will by my performance within medical school, my residency, and my fellowship, for which medical school prestige may matter, but ivy league association does not.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that you will lose patients or job prospects because of your medical school name, and I'm definitely not suggesting this. But I also don't think there is any evidence that attending UM/Pitt instead of Dartmouth/Brown/BU alone will enhance these prospects either. To a medical student who is kicking ass, the difference in "medical prestige" between these institutions is essentially moot. The career prospects will be very similar, all else being equal apart from the name on the degree.

So why not have your cake and eat it too? Kick ass through med school and get a degree with layman prestige. Just playing devil's advocate here...

Of course, you have to be honest with yourself. If hearing laypeople go "Oooo" :love: when you tell them where you go to school is important to you, then you should take that into account. Your mother may feel better about telling her friends that your at Dartmouth or Brown then at WashU even. It's all about what matters to you.

"Prestige" is a shallow, elusive thing and I agree that it shouldn't drive your decision as to where you attend medical school. But the standard SDN platitude of "only your Mom carez br0, WTFLOLz" sort of misses the point, IMO. Your mom's book club isn't the only batch of lay people that talk about you on a (semi?) regular basis.... what about your patients, blog readers, or anyone that google's your Vitals profile? In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? No. But people do read the degrees that you'll have hanging in your office. Heck, when searching for a physician in my insurance provider's database, I can sort the physicians by medical school. Why would they enable that search option if the layman's perspective was completely irrelevant?

Again, this isn't sufficient rationale to go to a school you otherwise don't like. But it's also a real (albeit shallow) aspect of your public persona.

I know Boston is known for its hospitals that is why I really want it. I feel that I will get a better medical education there. IDK any other thoughts...

I'm a 2nd year at BU and I love it here, but I honestly don't know much about Brown. I did hear that the undergrad is infested with dirty hippies :p

Go to 2nd look for both and see where you feel more comfortable. Both are good programs. In the end, it will most likely be your fellow classmates and how well you get along with them that will make or break your next 4 years.

I'm a 2nd year at BU and I love it here, but I honestly don't know much about Brown. I did hear that the undergrad is infested with dirty hippies :p

Better hippies than the Craigslist Killer? :eek:

But seriously, you'll get great training at either school. The two are fairly different in terms of atmosphere/vibe, so as another poster suggested go to both second looks and see which one is the better fit for your personality and interests.

I'd go with Brown. There are three med schools in Boston and one in Rhode Island. Usually students are more respected when there aren't tons of them. Just do some 4th year clerkships in Boston and you can go for residency. Plus I think Brown is the type of school that will fight to help you get the residency you want and will have better LOR (though obviously step one scores play a significant role as well:p).

I'd go with Brown. There are three med schools in Boston and one in Rhode Island. Usually students are more respected when there aren't tons of them. Just do some 4th year clerkships in Boston and you can go for residency. Plus I think Brown is the type of school that will fight to help you get the residency you want and will have better LOR (though obviously step one scores play a significant role as well:p).
Yeah I think your right. I think I'm going to Brown. Being the only medical school will probably make a big difference. Plus I know Brown is affiliated with like 7 hospitals in the area. Thank you everyone for your input.

Think about what your interests are and use that in selecting a school. If your interested in er/trauma, Brown has a great trauma department where as BU has to split up its calls with many other hospitals.

Think about what your interests are and use that in selecting a school. If your interested in er/trauma, Brown has a great trauma department where as BU has to split up its calls with many other hospitals.
what are you basing this on? BU is the emergency hospital for all of eastern mass. if there's one thing BU can hang its hat on, it's the ER. moreover, even if it's just another hospital, i'd rather split up the 4.4 million in greater boston alone than have the 1 million in all of rhode island.

and yet again the fallacy of these kinds of threads is demonstrated..

Yeah I think your right. I think I'm going to Brown. Being the only medical school will probably make a big difference. Plus I know Brown is affiliated with like 7 hospitals in the area. Thank you everyone for your input.

Mistake.

This is why these questions are a mistake. You have no idea of who is giving you "advice" or what their motivations may be. Trust your own judgement, talk to local doctors but do not depend on the ramblings of complete strangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.