Boosting my GPA!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To dragonfly 99...wow. Thank you so much for taking your time to read my post. It means a lot that you cared to answered my humble post. As to some of your suggestions, I am truly considering not going the SMP route simply due to monetary reasons. As far as the GPA, I know this sounds unfair but I know that if I do way better in my next attempt at the MCAT, I can manage to explained with a certain ease the reasons as to why the slip in grades.

In response to Blade,

I would also like to thank you for reading/commenting on my post. I know perfectly that I slipped with my grades but once I realized the mistakes I had made, It was too late to go back and dropped the classes/take them again. My wife had a serious case of Postpartum depression in my last semester. I had no idea how to deal with PPD or what to do about it. What made it even more difficult was her choice to leave and move in with her parents with the baby for a few months. I was always under control and had pride myself on how to really manage difficult times but when things got seriously hard, I found myself not knowing what to do for the first time in my life. Unfortunately, my grades did suffer but I feel as though my family needed me most and I decided to finish school as quickly as I could without dropping any classes and just obtaining what ever grades I deserved. I'm not trying to make up excuses for my grades, I just put my family first and as a consequence something had to suffered. Also, my MCAT grades have not been great due to the lack of consistency with my schedule. I've been really suffering trying to manage time between work and studying for the MCAT. Once again this is my fault and I'm very aware of it, so my wife has been helping me in this department. I took a practice test, AAMC # 10 two days ago and finally broke the 30's mark ( I got a 31), but man I'm exhausted.
What has helped a lot since my last MCAT, is the difference in the age of my baby. He is 20 months old now and needs less and less attention. Now that he plays on his own and basically doesn't require as much of my attention, I have found more study time after I put him to sleep. My wife has encourage me to keep going even though I'm taking time away from us to pursue MY dream. I guess I took the hard road to get to Med School but like I said in my previous post, I wouldn't want it any other way. It has been hard and its going to be even harder from now on but I'm a happy guy. Busy as hell with barely any time for myself but extremely lucky and happy.

The Mayo Clinic program works for students that are trying to get into a MD/PhD program. They teach you basic tricks and pair you with a PI that would more less guide you as to what you should know/expect from a PhD program in med school. One takes some graduate level courses, does some bench work, try to get published, and all the basics that come along with having a research job but with the gratuitous LOR from one of the most recognizable clinics in the USA. Also, you get a $21K stipend, help you with insurance if you have a family and is mostly geared towards underrepresented minorities-which luckily I qualify for. I hope this helps with your question. The program's name is PREP and I found it on the Syracuse University Post-Bacc page.

Members don't see this ad.

Well that is interesting.
You shouldn't go for an MD/PhD unless you want to pursue a lifelong career in medical research, though. If you want to take care of patients, I wouldn't do it. If you do want to pursue the MD/Phd route, then the Mayo program sounds good. Otherwise, would just study and take the MCAT, then work on retaking some science classes and get A's. I would go to a 4 year university/college, and not a community college, to take your science courses.

Agree with the above.

Work hard to raise your GPA and rock the MCAT this time around. I know you've had extenuating circumstances but be careful about always being quick to present an prepared explanation or rationale - you don't want to look like you're making excuses. Adcoms want to see that you've dealt with adversity - in this case, the best thing you can do is just show a great improvement.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above.

Work hard to raise your GPA and rock the MCAT this time around. I know you've had extenuating circumstances but be careful about always being quick to present an prepared explanation or rationale - you don't want to look like you're making excuses. Adcoms want to see that you've dealt with adversity - in this case, the best thing you can do is just show a great improvement.

Best of luck!

To Dragronfly and Blade...Thank you so much for the comments guys. I'm serious when I say I appreciate how helpful you guys have been. I know what you mean about the excuses, the thing is that I've explained them so many times that I almost sound as if I was a pre-recorded answer and as you said, might be steping into a "confortable territory". The other thing was I got C+ in 5 classes. If I do retake this classes, my GPA won't be raised a whole lot and wouldn't it seem as if I was taking these classes because I believe I have a certain "advantage" over the other pre-med for having already seen the material? Wouldn't I show myself to be a better candidate by just doing an SMP and demonstratring what I'm capable of?

Thanks for any comments guys!

You could retake those same classes, and/or different upper level undergrad science classes.
If you got less than B+ in any of your med school prereqs (i.e. the 2 years chem, 1 year bio, 1 year physics) then I would retake them. They want you to PROVE you can do well in organic chemistry, physics, etc. Show the ad-com that you can do it.

To Dragronfly and Blade...Thank you so much for the comments guys. I'm serious when I say I appreciate how helpful you guys have been. I know what you mean about the excuses, the thing is that I've explained them so many times that I almost sound as if I was a pre-recorded answer and as you said, might be steping into a "confortable territory". The other thing was I got C+ in 5 classes. If I do retake this classes, my GPA won't be raised a whole lot and wouldn't it seem as if I was taking these classes because I believe I have a certain "advantage" over the other pre-med for having already seen the material? Wouldn't I show myself to be a better candidate by just doing an SMP and demonstratring what I'm capable of?

Thanks for any comments guys!

Agreed that I'd probably work on improving those grades - retake those Cs.

You could try for an SMP, but know that you only have one shot at it - do poorly and you're severely hurting your chances.

Vihsadas,
what is your story? I'm still in college(junior) and will roughly graduate with a 3.3...possibly 3.4 if I really dedicate myself, which I indeed will due to the hole I dug myself in. Did you do any post bacc and did you get accepted into med school?

Thanks for your advice--it helped me too!! :)

-Anita

Last edited:
sooo..

is it really frowned upon to retake classes at CC?? How does the process of retaking classes at a university go anyways? like at a State school? Do you just apply as an undergrad again? I went to UC Berkeley for my undergrad. I just haven't really researched about retaking classes at a University.. I just know going to CC is easier in terms of applying..

replies much appreciated! i am getting lost also :( limbo land

i forgot to ask! what if you have a low GPA mid 2.5s.. but you try to rock those MCATs.. what are the chances of getting into DO schools? my CV is filled with volunteer/community service/MA positions/out of the country clinic volunteering.. so i would say it's pretty impressive and well rounded involving the healthcare field also to add onto my application.

and concerning about retaking classes.. the one i retook for biology at a CC didn't boost up my gpa that much.. i rather not put my undergrad grade down on my application.. so that my GPA is higher with my CC grade.. but i know that is not possible :( everything has to be laid out.. stupid AACOMAS GPA calculator...

would they see that i did well in CC class afterwards compared to my undergrad grade? :( sigh

Ultimately, what would be a better way to show an upward trend/ability to handle upper-level coursework for medical school admissions; MPH or some sort of post-bacc program?

I am interested in the MPH route, but I would like to do whatever will improve my chances of getting into medical school.

Would doing really well in a MPH program look better than doing really well in a formal (or informal) post-bacc program?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

MPH would be better as a "fallback" degree that might help you find some sort of job if you never get in to medical school.

For proving you are ready for medical school, then retaking classes like organic chemistry and getting A's, and/or doing a formal postbac, would be more helpful. This is because there might be a lot more folks who can get A- in a public health degree classes, particularly those that aren't science classes, than people who can ace classes like biochem and organic chem. Also the postbacs and premed courses show that you can do work similar to medical school work, and have the academic background to absorb the science-heavy materials in the first 2 years of medical school. Usually for many graduate degrees, a person might be required to keep a 3.0 to even stay in the graduate program, so there tends to be some grade inflation also, so getting a 3.5 in a graduate degree isn't necessarily going to make the adcom think that you were in the top 10% or so of your graduate school classmates...that might be an average GPA.

Is it worth it to retake classes (pre-requisites)? I've heard some people say it isn't (specifically if you've earned a C or better). What about re-taking pre-requisites versus completing some sort of post-bacc program? Is there any advantage to one or the other when you are looking to demonstrate an improvement in performance? Thanks.

I know its hard to bring up a low GPR, but from what ive heard, the lower your GPR the more classes you should take. think of yourself as an admissions counselor. i had a 3.0 after undergrad but i just completed 42 hours of upper level science courses and have a 3.93. i actually went to the course catalog and chose the most difficult courses i could find. if you were an admissions person would this be enough to convince you? to me i think it would, although maybe another semester would make it foolproof. for me though, i also have 13 publications so i think it should be enough.

if your GPR is below a 3.0 i think you should consider a serious commitment. if youre like me and have a degree with lots of hours, youre not going to raise it up a lot, but i know that committees do take this into account and will be sympathetic if you take a lot of hours and make excellent grades. i think SMPs are expensive. just take lots of classes at the cheapest school you can find (preferably a 4 year place). if youre below or around 3.0, i think it would take 30-60 hours at 3.7 of upper level sciences to be convincing. Do this and work in a place thats medically related. it will also help your tax returns a lot to go to school and work full time.

always put yourself in the admissions shoes. if you have two people: one with a 3.7 and one with a 3.0, what would 3.0 have to do to surpass or be equal to 3.7? my bet is 3.0 would have to take harder courses and lots of them to be on equal footing. 3.7 will probably also have easy classes sprinkled in there so even if 3.0 cant bring it up to 3.7, by taking lots of harder classes, that person can show they are just as qualified.

i think this is very reasonable. dont make it too complicated. just find biologically relevant science courses and take them. dont ask should i take this or that. take them all. if youre below 3.0 you will prolly need to anyway.

this is my list:

human anat. and phys
human phys
cell biology
human genetics
molecular biology
immunology
animal behavior
neuroscience
developmental biology
nucleic acid biochem
lipids and carbs biochem
pathophysiology
endocrinology
christianity (just because)

A in everything except animal behavior (B+)

will this be enough? i dont know, but i think i can very reasonably say that i'm now compelling. make yourself this way and i'm sure youll reach your goals.

hi all,

I'm in 4th year now at a canadian university. My question is that if my UG gpa is between 3.3 -3.5 but my lowest grades were in phy chem and physics, should I
a) repeat those courses
b) take upper year chm courses
c) take upper year courses

to improve my gpa? Some posts suggested to repeat those courses (but not in post bacc ?) while others suggested to take upper year courses and do well in them. I did a lot better last yr vs yrs 1-2 which helped but not enough to pull me out of the slum of my phys chem and physics marks. If it helps my mcat was 27Q after I took the TPR prep course :scared:

hi all,

I'm in 4th year now at a canadian university. My question is that if my UG gpa is between 3.3 -3.5 but my lowest grades were in phy chem and physics, should I
a) repeat those courses
b) take upper year chm courses
c) take upper year courses

to improve my gpa? Some posts suggested to repeat those courses (but not in post bacc ?) while others suggested to take upper year courses and do well in them. I did a lot better last yr vs yrs 1-2 which helped but not enough to pull me out of the slum of my phys chem and physics marks. If it helps my mcat was 27Q after I took the TPR prep course :scared:

From what I've *heard* (and I really don't know a lot about applying from out of the States) it's tougher to get in from out of the country. With that said, you may not have to repeat everything. I would encourage you to strongly consider retaking your MCAT, and maybe consider retaking physics, since that's a BCPM course (while p-chem is not a core course). Your grade from these courses counts equally, and intro physics should be significantly easier to improve your grade in than p-chem. It shouldn't matter whether you do it at your university or a local four-year college (just not a community college), as long as it's at an undergraduate level and not a graduate level.

Another additional option for you is to do an SMP in the states, and do well in it (it kind of screws your chances if you don't do well in it). So if you know you're ready to perform well academically, it could be a good option, since a 3.3-3.5 still allows you to be in the running.

Either way, I'd say if I were in your position, the #1 priority would be improving the MCAT score.