This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saratonin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I really need help deciding what I should do in the fall. I currently am working at the NIH as a postbac researcher. It is a great job, I am learning a lot, and I feel that staying here would be great. I will also be getting a first author publication, probably whether I leave here or not.

I applied to medical school last cycle, I only got two interviews, 1 MD, 1 DO, both resulting in waitlists. I also applied to the Tulane ACP program and was waitlisted. If I get off any of these waitlists, I will surely go to those programs as a given.

I don't know what to do if I do not get in. I have been accepted into the TUFTS MBS program. I was considering applying to Drexel instead (closer and I am a PA resident) or do a postbac at UPenn instead.

Here are my stats: science gpa: 3.2 Overall gpa: 3.5 MCAT 509/128/127/127/127. I have been told by several adcoms that my extracurriculars are above average (3 years of research, shadowed 10+ doctors, 2 years EMT experience, multiple medical relief trips, 500+ hours volunteering, TA in college, 3 sport collegiate varsity athlete, numerous leadership positions in multiple school organizations, etc.)

I do not know if I should stay at the NIH, go to tufts, or do something else. Please help me with any advice or insight or suggestions!

quick note: I realize that my gpa needs work, which is why I am considering an SMP or postbac. I am also not completely against retaking the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is definitely on the lower end and your MCAT is pretty solid so I don't think you have to retake it. If I were you, and had to reapply, I'd do one of these things:
1.) Do the SMP at Tufts and really boost your resumé and get a solid GPA at the program. Then apply once you are done with the program. If your MCAT expires after you're done, retake it.
2.) Boost up your sGPA if you can through a postbac program at UPenn (~3.5). With a boosted sGPA you'll be a more competitive candidate for MD when you reapply. I don't know how many credits you have completed for the MD prerequisites as the more you've completed, the harder it will be to raise your GPA, so keep that in mind. If you decide not to retake the MCAT once you get out of your postbac program, assuming your MCAT hasn't expired by then, you'd be a good candidate for mid-tier and lower-tier MD schools.
2a.) If you decide to take this route, also apply to some DO schools just in case.
3.) Don't to an SMP or postbac, and if you want to wait it out and it doesn't work and if you don't get in, instead apply DO next year with your sGPA/cGPA and MCAT as is. Your ECs are really strong so I think you'd get interviews from DO schools with your stats and ECs if you decide not to do any extra schooling.