Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to clarify, I don't believe that you can apply to take the boards in most cases until you are a PGY4 in status.

Also consider any financial advantages either way--the tests are crazy expensive. If your residency program pays the fees (some do, some don't), try to get it done. OTOH--some employers will reimburse this as well. I had to pay out of pocket for Part I as a PGY4/fellow, but had my Part II and Addiction boards reimbursed as a job expense. :thumbup:
Hi ! I hope you are good. I wanted to ask , do you know what is the new regulation regarding the frequency of board recertification for psychiatry as of 2018?! Thanks in advance! Have an amazing weekend!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi ! I hope you are good. I wanted to ask , do you know what is the new regulation regarding the frequency of board recertification for psychiatry as of 2018?! Thanks in advance! Have an amazing weekend!
It's still 10 years--but there's an ongoing continuous self-evaluation process on an annual basis.
You'll find all your answers HERE.

I remember reading some email about a pilot program they're doing to see if they can get rid of the MOC exam and replace it with some kind of take-home, read articles and answer questions format?

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember reading some email about a pilot program they're doing to see if they can get rid of the MOC exam and replace it with some kind of take-home, read articles and answer questions format?

Only allowed to miss one question and if it's more than that, then you have to take the exam. In effect, if you don't do it perfectly, you still have to do the exam.

Pretty f'n stupid ABPN.

Reactions: 1 users
Only allowed to miss one question and if it's more than that, then you have to take the exam. In effect, if you don't do it perfectly, you still have to do the exam.

Pretty f'n stupid ABPN.

Aww boy....sigh.

I'm kinda guessing I am probably the only one thinking about the boards, but is anyone else planning to go to Kauffman's course in NY? It's 1500 and staying in NY isn't cheap either. I can recite the Spiegel book (still) and most of BTB. It has a different format, it sounds like it's more q/a including vignettes although their isn't a schedule online. If anyone is going and wants to split a room and the cost of a room, I could definitely use the savings, just love paying for the boards for the third and final time. PM me if you wanna split a room or are even going. I so don't get the whole concept of not driving.............. They offer a discount for the hotels which are nice and also close to the course . I wish it was online..............

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda guessing I am probably the only one thinking about the boards, but is anyone else planning to go to Kauffman's course in NY? Home It's 1500 and staying in NY isn't cheap either. I can recite the Spiegel book (still) and most of BTB. It has a different format, it sounds like it's more q/a including vignettes although their isn't a schedule online. If anyone is going and wants to split a room and the cost of a room, I could definitely use the savings, just love paying for the boards for the third and final time. PM me if you wanna split a room or are even going. I so don't get the whole concept of not driving.............. They offer a discount for the hotels which are nice and also close to the course . I wish it was online..............
i would save your money. if you really know the speigel book cold and give that you have made it this far, if you cant pass the boards it sees more of an issue with testing anxiety or poor strategy than knowing the material. it is a very straightford exam, more straightforward than the USMLE or COMLEX so i think you need to figure out where you're going wrong and focus on overcoming whatever barrier is getting in the way. a more psychodynamically inclined individual might wonder if you were deliberately sabotaging yourself because of your ambivalence of practicing in psychiatry... but i am not one for such fatuous speculation o_O

i would save your money. if you really know the speigel book cold and give that you have made it this far, if you cant pass the boards it sees more of an issue with testing anxiety or poor strategy than knowing the material. it is a very straightford exam, more straightforward than the USMLE or COMLEX so i think you need to figure out where you're going wrong and focus on overcoming whatever barrier is getting in the way. a more psychodynamically inclined individual might wonder if you were deliberately sabotaging yourself because of your ambivalence of practicing in psychiatry... but i am not one for such fatuous speculation o_O
Did you take the exam THIS year? I took it last year and this year. they were two totally different exams. I am not ambivalent about psych. I want out, I am honest about that, psych is not for me for many reasons. My PD letter writer for FP wants me to pass it and getting a second residency even in FP is not easy, I tried and yada yada, you know how that went. So either way I need to pass, I need to make my PD letter writer happy for the slight chance of getting a FP residency or more likely I need it to stay in psych, she is insisting I take it and pass, she insists it is necessary to match into FP. I studied my @ss off this last test, took ADD meds and anxiolytics to combat the ADD med side effects.

Read what EVERYONE else had to say about the most recent board exam. NO ONE thought it was straight forward......................... And I barely passed the Comlex all three parts. I have ADHD and cant tolerate the meds. I am applying for special accomodations this year, I doubt they will grant them, but asking to take one half day one and the other half day two. I think that would help some. The stimulant meds make me too anxious to focus and Straterra makes me extremely dysphoric. I can recite the Spiegel book. I need new material. It sucks that Kaufman's course is so pricey and going to NY for 6 days is pricey but I think the interactive form will be perfect to hold my attention. I do worry that the timing of the course - July is too far ahead for me to retain it until the end of Sept, but other than adding another q bank, there isn't a q book I haven't done, I did BTB and I struggle to stay awake, no offense, but I have zero interest in psych and with the ADHD I don't do well with someone talking at me. I was so medicated this year. I didn't do all that different the year prior but I didn't study much the year prior. I did well on 3 of 4 of the PRITES. I am going to do CBT, I tried it with the MCAT to no avail. I do have performance anxiety, that is a factor but not the only one. I can take propranolol and a benzo for the exam, but no more psychostimulants. That was way way too much. I did focus a lot better but I was so so medicated and coming off of them was so hard. The 2016 exam was overall fair. I struggle mostly with the vignettes and sitting there all day. My head just gets full and tired after the first half. So that would be fixed if I got accomodations. I personally think the Kaufman class would help with the vignettes , I just wish it were in late Aug or early Sept. But thanks for the analysis :). Incorrect, but well intentioned.

Last edited:
So back to my original question, if anyone is going to NY for the course and wants to split a room please let me know.

But thanks for the analysis :). Incorrect, but well intentioned.
i was joking about that part but by your own admission anxiety and/or ADHD are a key issue. hopefully you get your accommodations. you need to provide good documentation. the main thing you have going against you is that you didnt request accommodations for the prior exams (basically if you got accommodations for the MCAT, COMLEX, medical school exams, or prior board exams then they have to give you accommodations here). though if you want out, why bother with the exam at all?

i was joking about that part but by your own admission anxiety and/or ADHD are a key issue. hopefully you get your accommodations. you need to provide good documentation. the main thing you have going against you is that you didnt request accommodations for the prior exams (basically if you got accommodations for the MCAT, COMLEX, medical school exams, or prior board exams then they have to give you accommodations here). though if you want out, why bother with the exam at all?
I was not diagnosed with ADHD until after all these exams :). I knew it but no formal diagnosis. And I have proof I have tried two psyschostimulants and straterra and couldn't tolerate the side effects and failed behavioral modification (I spend hours a day looking for stuff etc, life is hard). I doubt they will grant the accommodation I am asking for but I am no further behind in asking than not. I am in analysis with a psychiatrist and he is willing to write a letter.

Why bother? again getting a second residency is not easy. I TRIED. I did land one but they promised to start me as a pgy2 because I did a TRI (I am a DO ) and then two weeks in when I saw my schedule was for a PGY 1 they came clean and said no I would be a PGY 1. It was a bad program, I had just finished a super malignant program and acted in haste and quit and I was commuting 4 hours each way daily (didn't want to move for personal reasons) and google maps said it was 2.5 hours. I barely passed each step of the comlex- I didn't study and was out real quick for each exam, was an extended curriculum student because I had trouble with anatomy the first year, I dropped and did the 5 year plan before I failed, and took a year off to take care of my Grandma between my 3rd and fourth year to keep her out of a nursing home and sat out the year after graduating because I only applied locally due to my Grandma and didn't match so I Am far from a competitive resident. And even if I were a stellar candidate, a second residency even in FP is hard, they are opening med schools like Starbucks but not increasing the number of residency spots. I used to have a slight advantage being a DO in that I could apply to both but they are mostly combined now and it's all about money. AFTER residency a FP who is also a psychiatrist is great, but residency is funded and hospitals only get half the funding if you have already completed a residency. It is REALLY unlikely I will match into FP and I wont get the mandatory PD letter unless I pass the boards. My former PD has made that clear........................ In hindsight, I wish I would have sucked it up and stayed at the FP program. I would be graduating this year. I made a mistake and a big one. I knew in my first year of psych residency I wanted to do FP, IM would be better but I am way too old to handle the hours and way too anxious to handle the ICU and codes, but after residency in an outpatient setting, IM would be ideal. But I could totally be happy with FP. In reality I am probably stuck in psych. Despite not doing well on the boards I am a decent psychiatrist, my patients get excellent care, I should be charging cash prices, they have my cell number and can and do call anytime. So being that I am likely stuck in psych I NEED to be BC. OR if a miracle happens, as explained earlier, my mandatory PD letter writer will not write me a letter unless I pass the boards for psych. Either way I have to pass.... I studied 4-7 days a week from June until Oct (they let me take it late) 14-16 hours a day. I read all the "right books" did BTB, I really need new material and a lot of luck. I BARELY missed passing, I just need a tad more right to pass. Regardless of the outcome, the next exam will be the last time I take it. My shrink couldn't pass the orals, he does quite well. He somehow got a great job in a clinic, they let him do therapy and make his own hours, leave for his own analysis (he is still in training but almost done with his psychoanalytic course), he has a great gig. Prior to that he did private practice. Currently in Mich, you don't have to be BC or BE for Medicare or Blue Cross. He took those and cash. A lot of psychiatrists in the area where I have a small private practice are cash only and full. That could be an option for me if only I could figure out how. But for now I work minimal hours. So anyway, if anyone is taking this course and wants to share a room please pm me.

IF anyone does want to split a room, I have registered for Kaufmans course in NYC and I am staying at the Royalton. It's quite a nice hotel and only a few minutes from the course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which should I buy?
- Psych Test Prep and Review (Spiegel)
- Focus Psych Review (Hales)
- Study Guide for the Psych Board Exam (Muskin)
- Clinical Neuro for Psych (Kaufman)
- Board Vitals
- Other online question bank?

Which should I buy?
- Board Vitals
I don’t know what you should buy as I can’t vouch for the others, but I only did Spiegel questions. Did better on boards than I did on PRITEs.

Remember that you no longer have to pass the neuro section independently. Also half of the neuro points come from memory disorders and sleep medicine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
So I am trying for the THIRD time to pass. I have read a lot of "memorize the questions " in Kaufmans Neurology for psychiatrists. It would be a giant time saver for me to do that in lieu or reading the book. Neuro and child psych (I don't see kids) are my weakest points. I have every question book I could find I am going to Kaufmans review course in July, I have BTB. I do have ADD and am trying NOT to take a psychostimulant, I also have GAD and I was on every anxiolytic to help deal with the extra anxiety caused by the psychostimulant. (Straterra didn't help and my shrink doesn't like Tenex). I do a lot better with practice questions and carefully reading the answers than just reading pages and pages of text. TY in advance. This is my do or die year to pass, I will not be BE for a few months next year and honestly I don't think I could go through this again. I did get special accomodations and they are letting me take it over 2 days. They are giving me 19 hours but I don't need the extra hours, I will take the first half of the exam day one leave around 12 or 1 and finish day two. I just have trouble sitting for so long.
Thanks in advance.

Which should I buy?
- Board Vitals

I did rather well on the boards, much better than expected. I used:
- Beat the Boards
- Psychiatry Genius

Psychiatry Genius board prep questions here were the best I thought, for both psychiatry and neurology. Great questions. You probably don't even need the Kaufman book because their neuro stuff is pretty thorough and more like what I saw on the real board exam. But Kaufman is a good all around book for psych neuro. My friend did Board Vitals and wasn't impressed, he barely passed.

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:
funny how every so often someone comes on here asking the same thing. I've noticed this now a few times always saying "anyone looking for a group discount for beat the boards?" with like very few post counts. something tells me they work for the company beat the boards (btw which I wouldn't buy).

Last edited:
funny how every so often someone comes on here asking the same thing. I've noticed this now a few times always saying "anyone looking for a group discount for beat the boards?" with like very few post counts. something tells me they work for the company beat the boards (btw which I wouldn't buy).
It's actually pretty good and no I don't work for them. Last year the board was WTF? The prior year I would definitely call it a fair exam. And you can get 50 CMEs for passing their practice exam, bonus :)

Need information about the average score needed to pass the boards.
Also what is the percentage expected in the beat the boards questions?

Need information about the average score needed to pass the boards.
Also what is the percentage expected in the beat the boards questions?
Rumor has it if you are getting around a 75% on BTB you are golden. They scale it so "enough" people pass. The pass rate varies annually.

BTB is SO different from the Spiegel book with respect to psych content. Who knows what the test will be like...……….. It was far different last year from the prior year. UGH. 2 months.

You were ABSOLUTELY right. The course was a HUGE waste of money and time.

Does anyone remember how much time you get per section on the exam? How many questions per section? I'm trying to figure out how to do my timed question sets on board vitals. Thanks!

No I don't work for them and I am NOT being paid to advertise, just trying DESPARATELY to pass. Has anyone used True Learn? I went to Kaufmann's course and thought it was not so great, but I talked to some others there and their programs DO a board prep AND paid for them to have True Learn, BTB AND go to Kaufmann's course. My program did NOTHING for us for board prep which is irrelevant. More questions, especially vignette would be good and I have spent a freaking fortune on prep materials, so I am not so worried about the cost for a month, I was just wondering if the questions were accurate and comparable to what is on the boards.
This is something I don't like.
How many times can I take each question in a SmartBank?

While there is no maximum number of times that you can take a single question in a SmartBank, each user is allowed to take a maximum of three times the amount of questions available for their subscription. For example, if your SmartBank includes 1,000 questions, you will be able to take a maximum of 3,000 questions. Once a user has taken their maximum allotted questions, they will no longer be able to create new tests without purchasing an additional subscription.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just looking at the rules for the alternative to the boards. You are allowed 40 chances to get 30 80% correct (4 out of 5). So you can fail up 10 quizzes.

Should I get 1 month board vitals OR psychiatry genius bank for last minute cramming?

Right now I have just used:

1. Spiegel
2. Kaufmann Neuro Questions/read the book

I got both because I'm a little neurotic. If I had to do it again I would just get psychiatry genius you definitely don't need both, it has more questions and quality of questions seems better like they are more complex and subtle, like you can sometimes narrow it down to 2 answers then it gets tricky like a challenging exam would.

Last edited:
I got both because I'm a little neurotic. If I had to do it again I would just get psychiatry genius you definitely don't need both, it has more questions and quality of questions seems better like they are more complex and subtle, like you can sometimes narrow it down to 2 answers then it gets tricky like a challenging exam would.
I got vitals and did some vignettes and they are really easy and usually just pick one. I have issues picking more than one like 3 of 7, does psych genius have this?

I got vitals and did some vignettes and they are really easy and usually just pick one. I have issues picking more than one like 3 of 7, does psych genius have this?

I totally agree the vignettes in boards vitals is bordering silly. I found them pretty rudimentary and its not worth the money. The vignettes of psychiatry genius are pretty good, covers lots of good psychiatry topics. A few of them have pick the best 2 choices. I hate questions like that, but they're on the real board exam.

I totally agree the vignettes in boards vitals is bordering silly. I found them pretty rudimentary and its not worth the money. The vignettes of psychiatry genius are pretty good, covers lots of good psychiatry topics. A few of them have pick the best 2 choices. I hate questions like that, but they're on the real board exam.
The vignettes on beat the boards are SO easy at least the ones I have done. They spoon feed you the answer, no thought involved. I struggle most with the vignettes and am dying for decent ones.

Getting closer guys, wishing everyone luck

Getting closer guys, wishing everyone luck
Ditto. Third try for me. I have gotten audio digest to listen to while I am driving= big waste of money. I have every q book, q banks, the vignettes on the q banks are just too easy compared to the real deal. I hope this is my year to pass and I hope all of you pass as well.

So nobody bother asking me about the test because I will not respond, but I just finished it in under 5 hours and I thought it was straightforward, and frankly, easy. And I took a couple of short breaks, too, but was done in less than 5 hours.

FYI I did Beat the Boards, studied the Kaufman neuro book, and did some of the Psychiatry Genius vignettes in the last week or so. I studied pretty extensively over the last 2 months, put in solid 8+ hours a day for most of that time, which I gather is a lot more time than most people spend on studying.

I mean, I was shocked that the test was over. I was concerned I missed a section or something, but it spit out the "you are finished" thing. Curious if anyone else finished that quickly, this year or in a recent year?

Can I ask what you were scoring on BTB blocks and Psychiatry Genius Vignettes?

The person who put in 8+ hours/day for 2 months says it was "straightforward, and frankly, easy" :laugh:

I definitely didn't study that much. I can't imagine how anyone would even have the time for that, but I also finished pretty early and felt pretty good about it. We'll see what happens in December.

Yea, just happy to have it done with. Will followup with results in Dec...

I am taking it over 2 days- special accomodations, it is easier than last years SO FAR, but that does mean the curve will be rougher. I did make some stupid mistakes. I DO appreciate being able to take it over 2 days but after 2 hours, my attention goes and big. The ABPN was awesome to let me take it over 2 days, 4 would be ideal. I didn't finish early and needed to rewatch the videos over and over.

AWFUL. I cant divulge specifics but it was really heavy in two areas I didn't anticipate. I just took it because I desparately want out of psych and a former PD seems to think it's essential to pass in order to get into FP. I am such a nontraditional applicant, I have "red flags" time off during and after med school because I took care of my Grandma who was my mom, my dad my world to keep her from going to a nursing home. It would take an exceptional FP program to take me and I don't think the board exam is gonna be all that determining if I just kept studying now and passed it my FOURTH time...…………………. I just want out of psych. Being that others posted it was easy this year, I have no hope I passed, at least last year I had the comfort of others thinking it was hard too. I think having taking it previously was an impediment. I keep studying for the exams I took the years prior instead of just studying. I'm contacting my PD who I only have contact with via FB to ask if she will write me a letter.

Any feeback on psych genius? Is it worth it?

Any feeback on psych genius? Is it worth it?

I recommend it. What I saw on the board exam looked like psychiatry genius questions or at least felt like it, not all the time though.

So I got their PRITE prep course and thought the questions were pretty solid, so I signed up for their boards prep questions. I also got Board Vitals. I personally think Psychiatry Genius does a better job preparing you. I think it's also a better deal because psychiatry genius doesn't make you pay for vignettes separately but includes them. Board vitals makes you buy them separately from the psych question banks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I know we just have to wait and see, but at least the first half still went better for you than it has in the past. And it looks like it's not graded on a curve, so if a lot of people do well, it won't raise the bar for everyone else.

"The examination is not graded on a curve. To receive credit, you must achieve an overall passing score. The passing standard is the same for everyone who takes the examination and scores reflect absolute standards developed by the Board. These standards are independent of the performance of any group of examinees taking the examination."
https://www.abpn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Pearson_VUE_FAQ.pdf
The scores are "normalized" or something ? It's not the same score every year that is a passing score. I can't imagine anyone spent as much time as I did studying, but it was just heavy on a lot I didn't study, a lot of terms I never heard of. I want out of psych anyway. I am applying to FP next year, I wanted to do FP since my first year of psych residency and should have left psych during residency. I was kind of hoping to be BC when I applied, I will admit I am holding out a shred of hope that I guessed right on enough but realistically, I doubt it. I think taking it again would be pointless for me..... I did Spiegel BTB Kaufman's course in NY and Board Vitals Vignettes and I cant begin to count the number of question books. I wish the confidentiality rule was time linited so I could say what questions I had no idea about and what areas I never thought to learn. I wish there was one book no matter how big and if you knew everything in that book, you would be good. I'm going to Vegas in Nov for a conference and in Dec for vacation, guessing the scores will come out when I am in Vegas. Hopefully I will have the self restraint not to look while I am in Vegas, because even being pretty sure I failed, it still is really painful to find out that yes I really did fail. BTB has a study board and there is a minority of us that have taken this exam repeatedly and keep failing. It's done and over. Time for me to move on.

It seems Psychiatry Genius is the favored board prep program. My program worked with the company to secure a really good price. Super good price. If you are interested, pm me your e-mail address.

Hi all, my program just sent us this discount in case anyone needs to save a few hundred bucks. It saved me $$$ I'll admit I'm poor. Probably the best deal you'll find of all the prep companies. I also think Psychiatry Genius is very good.

link

Last edited:
Advertisers are hard at work I see :D

Reactions: 2 users