Best time to Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourthyearmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a best time to set up your interview? Nov vs Dec vs Jan? I have an externship planned in Nov. so I'm wondering if it will matter that I won't have any early interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Early interviews for most specialties don't matter too much.
Often the people who are most memorable to the interviewers and the residents at that program came through late in the interview season.

Dec and Jan will be fine!

The only down side is a lot of interviewees will be interview vets by then, and you might be more nervous than other applicants. Really, no big deal though.

fourthyearmed said:
Is there a best time to set up your interview? Nov vs Dec vs Jan? I have an externship planned in Nov. so I'm wondering if it will matter that I won't have any early interviews.

i ended up being accepted by the program where I interviewed on Jan 30th.

Conventional wisdom has the best time as "in the middle". Too early, you're a but green. Too late, and interviewers (and you) are burned out, and you have to look extra special to surpass everything they've already seen.

Kimberli Cox said:
Conventional wisdom has the best time as "in the middle". Too early, you're a but green. Too late, and interviewers (and you) are burned out, and you have to look extra special to surpass everything they've already seen.

That's what I've heard too. So far, I've had two interview invites, but since they're not my "top choice" programs, I've tried to schedule them earlier during my time off (early December).

Blade28 said:
That's what I've heard too. So far, I've had two interview invites, but since they're not my "top choice" programs, I've tried to schedule them earlier during my time off (early December).

Yeah, scheduled my first one for the 29th of SEPT....Talk ABOUT EARLY.

I ended up happily matching at the place where I did my very first interview.

Kinda annoying that I spent all that money doing all the future interviews, but I guess it's important to see to compare . . .