How to a make the best out of bad situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futurelifesaver

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the dust has settled and I am grateful that I matched. However, I regret where I matched and regret ranking that program highly. Being a *******, I ranked it highly because of my girlfriend. However, she broke up with me to go back to her ex the day before the match. I am a DO and matched into a DO residency program,. My worry is did my fellowship opportunities go away and did I sacrifice my training because it is a DO residency? Help me find some peace with this please.

Members don't see this ad.

So the dust has settled and I am grateful that I matched. However, I regret where I matched and regret ranking that program highly. Being a *******, I ranked it highly because of my girlfriend. However, she broke up with me to go back to her ex the day before the match. I am a DO and matched into a DO residency program,. My worry is did my fellowship opportunities go away and did I sacrifice my training because it is a DO residency? Help me find some peace with this please.
With the AOA/ACGME merger, there is no functional difference for fellowships - it's all one accreditation system.

Now, the former AOA programs are probably less well known - and may be less regarded for a while - which means you may have a lower chance of matching relative to some other programs. But you can make up for that with hard work, maybe a research project, etc. You'll be OK.

Reactions: 3 users

holy ****, how long were you dating this woman? I hope at least for years before you made this decision?

what’s done is done. What fellowships are you interested in?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You matched... please be happy. :)

holy ****, how long were you dating this woman? I hope at least for years before you made this decision?

what’s done is done. What fellowships are you interested in?

Ah, nope.. months. Going into pediatrics - hoping to do a fellowship in Pulm.

Yeah you'll be fine for peds fellowships.

If it makes you feel better, I also ranked my residency highly in the hopes that I could make things work with my then-gf (not that she asked me to, my own fault for ranking as I did despite what she was telling me). We broke up anyways. Thankfully, my program was perfect for me, I matched in a great fellowship, and met Mrs. Spurs in a city I otherwise would never have gone to. These things have a way of working out if you approach them with a positive outlook and don't waste time worrying about decisions that you made--what's done is done, time to move forward.

Reactions: 8 users
very sorry to hear of the breakout.

Stick with this...you'll find the time will pass VERY quickly

Quick question, is she in the program with you? If so then.........man that sucks.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, nope.. months. Going into pediatrics - hoping to do a fellowship in Pulm.
Awesome, we can reassure you. You can match into Peds pulm. Ditto most other Pediatric fellowships. There are usually far more slots than applicants for all but a handful of fellowship programs (EM, PICU, sometimes Cards, and sometimes NICU).