Best SUNY for Pre-med

lightweightt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been browsing through many of the threads on this forum recently and have really gained some insight on some aspects of the premed process. As a rising senior, I have already compiled a list of colleges I am interested in including reaches, targets, and safeties. I've decided to apply to a few SUNYs as safeties but my mind is divided as to which one would suit me best. Please note that I will probably be majoring in biochemistry in college.

If you guys could give me further insight on the following SUNYs, I would greatly appreciate it. Without further ado, here are the SUNYs that I am considering and why:

• SUNY Stony Brook
    Pros:
    - Abundance of research/internship/shadowing/clinical opportunities due to the hospital on campus and access to Brookhaven National Labs, NIH, etc.
    - All around great undergrad science programs.
    - Chances of honor college acceptance are extremely high which also entails the honors scholarship (at least $2k/year), closer relationship with the faculty/professors (Stony is a huge school so this actually matters alot for LoRs and advising purposes), and residence/research priority.
    - Very close proximity to family for holiday/visiting purposes. Not sure if the close distance is good/bad yet :(
    - Specialized science courses.
    - Close affiliation with medical school.
    - Decent/good reputation as a science school.
    - Been told that the campus is beautiful from a multitude of friends.
    - I find it relatively easy to adapt to my environment so if the competition really is "cutthroat," it'll only help me develop better work ethics and discipline.

Cons:
    - Commuter school. Heard it's a ghost town on campus during weekends starting Friday.
    - Listed this as a pro but only an hour and a half away from home. My mom and esp. grandma are on the protective side. They will probably expect weekly/bi-weekly visits. :oops:
    - Huge intro classes. Not sure if being in the honors program will change that.
    - Cutthroat competition.
    - Lack of diversity/huge premed population (preliminary at least)
    - Educational budget cuts in NY...
    - No car. Apparently a car is almost necessary to attend Stony Brook but I will NOT purchase any car with my parent's money (not that they can't afford it, a car is just something I feel that I should earn personally).
    - Nice weather. You might be wondering why anyone would list this as a con but I love the cold, snow-filled winter. LI is pretty much the same as NY in terms of climate.

• SUNY Buffalo
    Pros:
    - Similarly to Stony Brook, research and internship opportunities are abound at UB due to the hospital on campus and its reputation as a research institute.
    - Early Assurance program into their Medical School after freshman year. No MCATS required, but a 3.75 GPA is needed.
    - Honors/Advanced honors program. Similar to SBU, priority/personalized advisement from faculty.
    - Cold weather. I'm probably one of the few who appreciates heavy snowfall and rigid winters.
    - Competition is not as harsh in UB as it is in SBU.
    - Better campus life.
    - Slightly lower tuition.
    - More diversity.

Cons:
    - As far as reputation goes, I'm pretty sure that SBU is the more respected one and seems to have slightly better research/internship opportunities. Not sure about clinical exposure.
    - South campus (generally known to house those who prefer/need to study more rigorously) is not as nice as the other campuses and is close to the dangerous part of Buffalo apparently.
    - Further away from family. Might be a plus though haha.
    - Students complain of the necessity and req. of a notebook laptop purchase along with some other misc. expenses. Shouldn't be that big of a deal but just putting it out there.
    - Bit of a party school. Hopefully that won't influence me negatively.

• SUNY Geneseo
    Pros:
    - Small LAC! I've always wanted to experience the small LAC college feel as I'm in a huge high school.
    - Close-knit community.
    - Beautiful valley campus. I was blown away when I visited.
    - Very solid premed education.
    - Many alumni and relatives have attested that the courses they took at Geneseo really helped them in their MCATs and during medical school. Esp. the bio majors.
    - Presumably the least competition among the three SUNYs listed here due to the significantly smaller class size and premed population.
    - Pre-medical advisory committee. Information on the website made it seem pretty darn reliable and informative compared to the other SUNYs.
    - Much more personal relationships with professors and faculty.
    - Early Assurance program for sophomores with a 3.5 GPA and 1250+ SAT score. Also non-binding so I can choose to apply to other medical schools but I would give up the guarantee.
    - Independent research opportunities
    - Edgar Fellows Honors program. Intro courses are philosophy-like classes meant to develop a student's nature to think and analyze. Sounds pretty darn interesting.
    - Girls:Guys is roughly 2:1. In my high school, the typical classroom ratio of girls to guys is 1:2/3. Dumb reason but a pro nonetheless.
    - Close to zero TA's

Cons:
    - Significantly less research/internship/clinical opportunities found at geneseo than at SBU and UB.
    - Very rigorous coursework for bio-related majors. Not a single alum has told me different. :scared:
    - Half the student population agrees that campus life can get really boring due to sheer pipsqueakness of it but I'll be studying most of my time anyways :rolleyes:
    - Extremely far from family. 6-7 hour drive. Might be a good/bad thing :D. Heard train rides are relatively fun though to and from the school.
    - Premed population varies each year so who knows if the population might significantly increase this year?
    - Going to mention this again: seriously lacking medical-field opportunities compared to the other SUNYs.

If anyone out there could please share their personal experiences with any of the above schools or insight as to how accurate my statements are, I would greatly appreciate it. It's quite a lot of text but thanks in advance! :D:D

Members don't see this ad.

I love all the NYers we're getting recently. Squee.

First, is there a reason Binghamton isn't up there? You listed all the other top SUNYs, so I'm just curious.

What do you want internships in? What type of research do you want to do? This is what you need to know in figuring out Stony Brook vs Buffalo. For example, if I was choosing between the two, I would pick Buffalo, because of their Health and Human Services Major, Community Mental Health track and the internship opportunities with mental health courts, psychiatric hospitals, etc. Stony Brook, on the other hand, is affiliated with Brookhaven National Laboratory, a much different, though prestigious, research experience. Ultimately, the two are very similar in the research and internships available to their students; however, as a Biochem major, SUNY Stony Brook (more focused on 'hard science' - chemistry, biochem, physics; while Buffalo does have a lot of that, they also have a lot of public health, human resource and behavioral stuff) will likely appeal to you more. Check on the websites, though (under Research), and see what they have to offer.

As for Geneseo, if you can get in, it is a fantastic college; but know what you are getting yourself into. I think you said it; however, I would like to stress the importance of this: YOU WILL BE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. I had an aunt drop out after the first semester because that factor caused her to hate it so much. I consider it the Bard of SUNY (if you have never seen Bard college, this will make no sense): beautiful campus, awesome classes, great professors; however, very, very isolated.

Good luck! (and feel free to ask more)

Hey there, I'm just a HS student myself but I could give you my personal input for Stony Brook and just a touch-base on Buffalo.

For Stony Brook, I have no idea where you heard that it's a commuter school. I know 4 people in Stony Brook and 3 of them are alumni who all dormed. Everyone's experiences are unique but the dorms are pretty busy. SUNY just tends to attract NY residents more (I'd say because of local and resident discounts) so most don't see the need to dorm. As for stuff like parties and stuff I have no clue.

You're pretty much spot-on about Stony Brook and how it's cutthroat. But, if you have the grades I'm sure you'll get in (it's not like you're going to a community college that have huge waiting lists, afterall). It's a great SUNY school for Pre-Meds because of their training hospitals and Med school, so the research oppertunities are great and it's definitely a school to keep a strong consideration about (with still an open-mind).

In my personal situation, I'm split between Hofstra and Stony Brook for two seperate reasons. But from the advice I recieved from Pre-Meds and Med students, it's best to go to a cheaper school with good aids and grants but the programs are just as important. I know Stony Brook is one of the most afforadable of the SUNYs, so don't leave finincial aid out of the equation. But the fact that you're looking at SUNY is a good start. But with current Educational cuts that are directly affecting SUNY schools, it's good to keep an eye on the tuition and the finincial aid you recieve.

Overall, Stony Brook is a wonderful SUNY school for Pre-Meds because of their research oppertunities and training hospital. It's pretty afforadable for NY residents as well (or at least at this time. Who knows what's going to happen next year.)

For Buffalo, my brother's best friend is an alumni who is in Med School now and he said Buffalo is a great school. He said a lot of scholarships are accepted so the tuition isn't so strangling and recieved pretty good finincial aid. He did mention that it's a party school and if you're a party person you can manage to party and maintain a good GPA. He never really went out of campus but I never heard of the southern campus to be dangerous.

Sorry I couldn't help more with Buffalo, those are just some things an alumni says but as for Stony Brook, it's only really cutthroat because of their afforadable tuition and grants with quality research oppertunities for Pre-Meds. I'd say it as Stony Brook is the school to go for Medicine like how Hofstra is for Law. It's pretty much known for medicine and pre-meds want nothing more than a good education with an afforadable tuition that won't leave them in 500k of debt.

No matter what school you go to though (unless it's a community college) you'll get to a medical school if you have the grades, pre-reqs and research. It all depends on you as a student. You'd just want what would be financially best and bang for your buck. (If that makes sense xD)

Well, I hoped I helped. Good luck in deciding!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Buffalo, and went to SUNY Buffalo for undergrad. It was definitely a great school, the price was right, and I feel that it prepared me well for med school.

The Honors College is great, they really treat the students amazingly well in that program, and being admitted into that program one of the main reasons I chose UB for undergrad. Early Assurance is nice for med school admissions for anyone that meets the criteria. I didn't, so I had to take the MCAT and apply through regular admissions, which was a horrible and grueling process, to say the least.

The South Campus does border on a sketchy neighborhood, but it is safe on campus. UB is a huge school, and there are an overwhelming number of clubs and activities to join. Most undergrad classes and campus life is on the North Campus, in an extremely safe suburban area.

Anyway, I'm a first-year med student at SUNY Buffalo, and have no regrets so far. Good luck!

I love all the NYers we're getting recently. Squee.

First, is there a reason Binghamton isn't up there? You listed all the other top SUNYs, so I'm just curious.

What do you want internships in? What type of research do you want to do? This is what you need to know in figuring out Stony Brook vs Buffalo. For example, if I was choosing between the two, I would pick Buffalo, because of their Health and Human Services Major, Community Mental Health track and the internship opportunities with mental health courts, psychiatric hospitals, etc. Stony Brook, on the other hand, is affiliated with Brookhaven National Laboratory, a much different, though prestigious, research experience. Ultimately, the two are very similar in the research and internships available to their students; however, as a Biochem major, SUNY Stony Brook (more focused on 'hard science' - chemistry, biochem, physics; while Buffalo does have a lot of that, they also have a lot of public health, human resource and behavioral stuff) will likely appeal to you more. Check on the websites, though (under Research), and see what they have to offer.

As for Geneseo, if you can get in, it is a fantastic college; but know what you are getting yourself into. I think you said it; however, I would like to stress the importance of this: YOU WILL BE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. I had an aunt drop out after the first semester because that factor caused her to hate it so much. I consider it the Bard of SUNY (if you have never seen Bard college, this will make no sense): beautiful campus, awesome classes, great professors; however, very, very isolated.

Good luck! (and feel free to ask more)

I knew someone was going to ask me why Bing wasn't up there haha. My main reason for not considering bing is it's campus and atmosphee. I went there on a college visit with my school and it was utterly depressing with the heavy overcast and dark buildings. I just cannot see myself happy there. Other than that, it's a great school no doubt, but just not for me.

As for research/internships, I'm really interested in oncology/surgery research as well as shadowing opportunities. Which SUNY would be best for oncology/surgery research/exposure and would have the most surgeon/oncologist shadowing opportunities?

I'm well aware of Geneseo's isolation haha and I think I can handle it. My condo in NJ is pretty much in the middle of nowhere as well and I honestly don't mind. I like the peace and serenity and it'd provide a better study environment for me.

Hey there, I'm just a HS student myself but I could give you my personal input for Stony Brook and just a touch-base on Buffalo.

For Stony Brook, I have no idea where you heard that it's a commuter school. I know 4 people in Stony Brook and 3 of them are alumni who all dormed. Everyone's experiences are unique but the dorms are pretty busy. SUNY just tends to attract NY residents more (I'd say because of local and resident discounts) so most don't see the need to dorm. As for stuff like parties and stuff I have no clue.

You're pretty much spot-on about Stony Brook and how it's cutthroat. But, if you have the grades I'm sure you'll get in (it's not like you're going to a community college that have huge waiting lists, afterall). It's a great SUNY school for Pre-Meds because of their training hospitals and Med school, so the research oppertunities are great and it's definitely a school to keep a strong consideration about (with still an open-mind).

In my personal situation, I'm split between Hofstra and Stony Brook for two seperate reasons. But from the advice I recieved from Pre-Meds and Med students, it's best to go to a cheaper school with good aids and grants but the programs are just as important. I know Stony Brook is one of the most afforadable of the SUNYs, so don't leave finincial aid out of the equation. But the fact that you're looking at SUNY is a good start. But with current Educational cuts that are directly affecting SUNY schools, it's good to keep an eye on the tuition and the finincial aid you recieve.

Overall, Stony Brook is a wonderful SUNY school for Pre-Meds because of their research oppertunities and training hospital. It's pretty afforadable for NY residents as well (or at least at this time. Who knows what's going to happen next year.)

For Buffalo, my brother's best friend is an alumni who is in Med School now and he said Buffalo is a great school. He said a lot of scholarships are accepted so the tuition isn't so strangling and recieved pretty good finincial aid. He did mention that it's a party school and if you're a party person you can manage to party and maintain a good GPA. He never really went out of campus but I never heard of the southern campus to be dangerous.

Sorry I couldn't help more with Buffalo, those are just some things an alumni says but as for Stony Brook, it's only really cutthroat because of their afforadable tuition and grants with quality research oppertunities for Pre-Meds. I'd say it as Stony Brook is the school to go for Medicine like how Hofstra is for Law. It's pretty much known for medicine and pre-meds want nothing more than a good education with an afforadable tuition that won't leave them in 500k of debt.

No matter what school you go to though (unless it's a community college) you'll get to a medical school if you have the grades, pre-reqs and research. It all depends on you as a student. You'd just want what would be financially best and bang for your buck. (If that makes sense xD)

Well, I hoped I helped. Good luck in deciding!

Haha maybe your friends were the few who experienced busy dorms but most of the people that I've talked to have agreed that it's a commuter school with nearly half the student body leaving on the weekends. Like you said, most of the students are NY residents so with more than half the student body gone on the weekends, how busy could campus really be?

Thanks for confirming the cutthroat competition. I currently attend NYC's "top specialized high school" :rolleyes: so the competition will probably be similar to my current one. I am also applying to Stony's Scholars for Medicine program, an 8-year guaranteed medical school program so if I get accepted, I will definitely choose Stony.

I agree 100% that acceptance into medical school is based on the individual student's ability and effort. I'm probably going to apply to all three SUNYs and based my decision upon financial aid, honor program acceptance, etc.

I'm from Buffalo, and went to SUNY Buffalo for undergrad. It was definitely a great school, the price was right, and I feel that it prepared me well for med school.

The Honors College is great, they really treat the students amazingly well in that program, and being admitted into that program one of the main reasons I chose UB for undergrad. Early Assurance is nice for med school admissions for anyone that meets the criteria. I didn't, so I had to take the MCAT and apply through regular admissions, which was a horrible and grueling process, to say the least.

The South Campus does border on a sketchy neighborhood, but it is safe on campus. UB is a huge school, and there are an overwhelming number of clubs and activities to join. Most undergrad classes and campus life is on the North Campus, in an extremely safe suburban area.

Anyway, I'm a first-year med student at SUNY Buffalo, and have no regrets so far. Good luck!

Hey thanks for the input on Buffalo haha. I will probably be basing my decision upon honor program acceptance as well and hopefully I'll get into the Early Assurance program if I attend UB. How were the research opportunities there, namely oncology/surgery and shadowing opportunities? Also, where did you dorm as a honor student? Was it a good study environment?

Thanks so much for the responses guys haha. Really appreciate it! :)

How were the research opportunities there, namely oncology/surgery and shadowing opportunities? Also, where did you dorm as a honor student? Was it a good study environment?

There are a lot of research opportunities, both through the university and the Buffalo/Niagara Medical Campus, which is growing, and includes Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo General Hospital and many research centers. Shadowing opportunities are good, there is a pre-med club at UB that guarantees shadowing time.

I lived at home with my parents for undergrad (and so far the first year of med school). Saving money is nice, and I'll still be 100K+ in debt after med school. :laugh:

The Honors dorm is called Governors, and is not that impressive building/dorm room wise. It's the honors dorm because it's much closer to the academic spine buildings of UB's North Campus (compared to the regular dorms). The honors college building was completely redone this year, and it's really nice there. There is plenty of good study space in the libraries, the upper floors are quiet, but the lower floors are noisy and more social (especially Capen).

Hello, glad to see that you are interested in the SUNY system. I have been an undergraduate at Stony Brook for four years and now I'm in my fifth. I have been a dorm student, lived in an on-campus apartment and commuted. I will say that the problem with Stony is not that it has a high commuter population per se because any school with a good proportion grad students typically has a lot of commuters. The problem lies in that many of the students who come from NYC and dorm on campus go back home over the weekends thus you have the infamous 'dead weekends'. I would say that if you get involved in greek life, something which I considered (got bids) but didn't have time for, then you'd have no problem occupying your weekends. There are parties every weekend in the West Apts. and many buildings allow a certain amount of alcohol per suite as long as the students living in the suite are over 21. From and academic standpoint I'd say that Stony is very rigorous. I was a biology major for four years and now I'm a clinical laboratory sci student and I have to say that the general registration (academic) science courses are indeed cut-throat although certain large classes like orgo are graded on absolute scales, not curved. Still the air I perceived on the West campus (now I'm at the HSC) was competitive. There are many many biology majors so it kinda dissolved me and made me feel homogenized and not unique. Many of the pre-health classes are tremendous with >200 students. The administration can be a bit frustrating at times too. All in all I'm glad that I chose SB because even though it sucks in the moment to take classes that are designed to be harder than their equivalents from other schools it leaves you feeling accomplished. By the way the undergrad nursing and allied health programs (CLS, RT, OT, AT) over here are really good too and since they're limited to a certain # of students they offer a more close-knit private college feel :D
Just my $.02 tho No matter what you choose you'll be going to a good school