Best way to cold call

k!ng

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m a junior in high school and want to get some research experience for my college app. I’ve tried to find other ways to get ec’s but everything is off limits for high schoolers. I was thinking about cold calling on some professors and researchers in nearby med schools. Is this a good idea? If so, what is the best way I can do it. Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Get a little job at a local college, so cold call the bio professors, ask them what to do, etc. We employed HS'ers to wash our dishes, etc.

That said, there would maybe be room to talk to the students in the lab, learn, experience things, etc. But for you w/ projects of your own, etc? You don't really pay for any tuition or applied to any programs, that's one of the reasons it would be difficult to get research experience on its own for college.

Also, I think just working in a lab, etc., would be good enough for college admissions. They aren't expecting you to do actual projects, that's more down the road when grad programs look at your college CV.

Get a little job at a local college, so cold call the bio professors, ask them what to do, etc. We employed HS'ers to wash our dishes, etc.

That said, there would maybe be room to talk to the students in the lab, learn, experience things, etc. But for you w/ projects of your own, etc? You don't really pay for any tuition or applied to any programs, that's one of the reasons it would be difficult to get research experience on its own for college.

Also, I think just working in a lab, etc., would be good enough for college admissions. They aren't expecting you to do actual projects, that's more down the road when grad programs look at your college CV.
I tried to find jobs like the ones you have listed but most of them won’t take high schoolers because of COVID. I also reached out to many small clinics and the hospital I volunteered at before COVID and they all said to try to reach out to people who are doing research and find if I can do anything to contribute. Thank you for your response

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah so it's COVID. I got nothing. If anything, you may want to open up the floor to doing digital outreach, etc. Help a local hospital w vaccination efforts by means of calling people, making appts, etc.

Tbh, w covid, I'm not sure you're getting into a lab, especially as a HS'er, anytime soon. Pivot and make the most of of this digital age lol

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I’m a junior in high school and want to get some research experience for my college app. I’ve tried to find other ways to get ec’s but everything is off limits for high schoolers. I was thinking about cold calling on some professors and researchers in nearby med schools. Is this a good idea? If so, what is the best way I can do it. Thank you in advance
I would email rather than cold call. All labs need free labor so if you keep trying, you'll find a place that will take you eventually (if you're willing to work without pay). That said being in high school may limit your prospects a little bit. If you don't have any luck, maybe wait until you have a year at college under your belt, then try out for a formal summer research program (you can find a list of national opportunities here.

Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user