Best Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd say University of Montreal's med school is the best. They have had the best score for the royal college examination 6 years straight.

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you get that information?

akinf said:
Where did you get that information?

Its true... BUT

Unfortunately the dean of UdeM, JL Rouleau, starts every talk with that exact line. Last year he was getting an award for his research at UofT (where he was for years) and somehow he found a way to include this line...

:thumbdown:

PS. I am not sure that every student at UdeM takes canadian exams, since they have the quebec (university based) ones to do. Maybe just the better students do.

Members don't see this ad :)
mad_ said:
I'd say University of Montreal's med school is the best. They have had the best score for the royal college examination 6 years straight.

Mine is bigger than yours.

docbill,

I graduated from ULaval in 2003. If I'm not mistaken, the canadian exam is now mandatory. 98% of my class wrote it in 2003. I would guess UdeM is not that diffferent. We have to admit they have a good program, that's all.

BTW, as far as family medicine is concerned, the canadian exams are way (and by far) easier than the "Collège des médecins du Québec" exams. Last year, more than 33% of McGill FM residents failed the Quebec exams. Most of them passed the canadian exams.

Why are there two different tests? I'd expect medicine to be practiced essentially the same way across the country. Also, does the Quebec examination test the same material as the Canadian one, just more rigorously?

akinf said:
Why are there two different tests? I'd expect medicine to be practiced essentially the same way across the country. Also, does the Quebec examination test the same material as the Canadian one, just more rigorously?

I guess it's an historical reason. The Quebec College of Physician is the oldest medical organisation in Canada. The College always wanted to do its own exam. In most specialties however, the Canadian exam and the Quebec exam are now the same. For FM, the College still has a very challenging exam. It's a practical exam with a design similar to LMCC part 2. However, LMCC part 2 is a very easy exam (designed for everybody, even psych residents who haven't touched an abdomen in two years).

For the MD, every university has a different attiude. For Ulaval, there is a practical exam at the end of the doctorate. If I'm not mistaken, only USherb requires that you pass LMCC part 1, even tough most of students from UdeM and ULaval write this exam. I don't know for McGill.

JPMD03,

UdeMontreal can be the best at the exams, I did not argue that.. I don't necessarely care much if you ask me. I personally hate rankings.. cause some schools like LAVAL where I did my Masters are great school and I have great memories of going there.. but the McLeans ranking of laval are low.

Part 2. Regarding the two exams. Some may argue the reason behind this is that MDs trained in Quebec stay in Quebec. They would not want to train doctors in quebec just to have them leave to NB, ON or Alb, or BC.. where they will make more money.

rankings do not matter! Every medical school in Canada is prestigious in my opinion. Not to say undergrad rankings don't matter, but remember not every undergrad is admitting you because they feel you are responsible and smart enough to handle human life. Go where ever is the cheapest and has the best location.

For undergrad, there are certain schools that are better for certain things than others. For instance, for undergrad research, you can go anywhere. Most people would say U of T, but as a generalization, how much are you going to get to do in undergrad. For graduate, I definitely say U of T, that's not even debatable. However, for undergrad. in science, I think staying in your home province makes more sense. Nothing is really all that different, except for course selection. As for medicine, I agree in saying that all the schools are good, but maybe only McGill and U of T are prestigious. UBC is certianly getting up there; this is not to say the rest aren't good, but prestige is based upon reputation, and both of those schools have a solid internationla reputation. But if you plan on staying in Canada or anywhere for that matter to practice medicine, just having a MD from Canada is enough. Our educational system is pretty good and I doubt one school may open tons of doors. However, I've heard that having AOA which, to my knowledge, only UofT does can be very beneficial in the US.

docbill, I really don't care either about ranking. I'm a practicing physician, working with people trained in different universities. Quite frankly, the most important thing when you get to practice is your clinical judgement. This has nothing to do with the place you graduated.

The only thing about my previous post was to inform people about the reality in Quebec, c'est tout.

In fact, I don't really understand why people in medicine always look for the best school with the best reputation. Most of us don't care much when we see our patients in everyday life.

JPMD03 said:
docbill, I really don't care either about ranking. I'm a practicing physician, working with people trained in different universities. Quite frankly, the most important thing when you get to practice is your clinical judgement. This has nothing to do with the place you graduated.

The only thing about my previous post was to inform people about the reality in Quebec, c'est tout.

In fact, I don't really understand why people in medicine always look for the best school with the best reputation. Most of us don't care much when we see our patients in everyday life.

I agree!

JPMD03 said:

I agree. Rankings with med. school, especially in Canada would be so inconclusive because they would likely be all over the place. Each med. school has a philosophy, and that's how they train their students.

What is meant by AOA...(when it was stated that only UT has AOA), and why is it beneficial in the US?

thanks