Best way to get in to a Canadian Medical School as a foreign BSc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synder

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

So I just recently moved to Canada to pursue a post graduate certificate in Sonography after completing a 4 year Bsc in Medical Radiation Technology. I actually did pretty well, even gaining latin honours, but unfortunately:

1. Canada doesn't honour my degree as a BSc.
2. It is not from a Canadian University (or a university for that matter). In the Philippines, we don't really make distinctions between Colleges, Universities, or Institutes.
3. I can't use my post grad certificate for entrance into medschool.

Now I am faced with a dilemma of whether I should take another bachelors degree or do my masters. Some thoughts of potential courses I could do?

1. BSc in Medical Physics
2. Physicians Assistant? (great alternative if I don't want to do Medicine)
3. MBA

I am still not decided as to what I want to do but any input would be great.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a Canadian citizen or permanent resident? Almost no medical school in Canada accepts international students.

Are you a Canadian citizen or permanent resident? Almost no medical school in Canada accepts international students.

Thank you for your reply, I am aware of this. It is just something I am considering maybe after I get PR hence I wanted to map out what the best strategy would be. I just wanted to see if anyone in the forum has had a similar experience, or could recommend the most prudent path for me to follow.

Medical schools in canada have varying requirements of undergraduate credits obtained. If your degree doesn't qualify as undergraduate university courses then you'll have to start there. There is almost no benefit to a masters to further an application to medical school in Canada.