Best Fellowships for Hematology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So...Paradox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a resident soon to be applying for Heme-Onc fellowship. I am interested in academics and hope to focus ultimately in Hematology. I am undecided between benign and malignant Heme/BMT, so I wanted to get thoughts on which programs have the strongest Hematology training across the board. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am kind of happy that nobody replied you.. If you could dig in some application thread through last a few years in this forum, you should get your own answer....
I have no idea why I replied you today

Last edited:
Fellowship programs which are strong in hematology:​

Having completed the interview process, I would be happy to answer this question. My personal research interests are in benign hematology.

I. Top tier programs that are exceptionally strong (clinically and research wise) in malignant hematology, BMT AND benign hematology:
West Coast: USCF, University of Washington
Midwest: University of Michigan, Wash U, Northwestern, Mayo Clinic
South: Vanderbilt, Duke
Mid-Atlantic: UPenn, NIH/NCI, Cornell, Columbia (although benign hematology research is still in the growing phases here and much stronger at Cornell), Hopkins
Northeast: Dana Farber, BIDMC, Yale

II. Programs with particular strengths in benign hematology: In addition to the programs listed above:
UNC (outstanding faculty for benign hematology, which lots of great basic and clinical research opportunities)
University of Wisconsin (ditto as stated above)

III. Programs with particular strengths in malignant hematology / BMT: In addition to the programs listed above:
University of Minnesota (outstanding BMT and malignant hematology)
Moffitt Cancer Center (ditto as above)

IV: Programs which are not necessarily "top tier" programs, but nonetheless have excellent hematology faculty with very good research opportunities:
Cleveland Clinic (benign hematology research is growing, with recruitment of new faculty)
UPMC, Boston University, Emory (all these programs have great opportunities for research in sickle cell disease)
NYU (great research and clinical opportunities in benign hematology)
Oregon Health Sciences (malignant hematology is strong, and getting better)
Ohio State University (very strong clinically, with great hematology research opportunities for fellows)

V. Programs to consider avoiding if you may have potential research interests in benign hematology (due to lack of viable research opportunities):
Moffitt Cancer Center
University of Chicago
MD Anderson
Fox Chase Cancer Center
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Mount Sinai in NYC

At very large and prominent cancer centers such as MD Anderson and Memorial Sloan Kettering, the focus is obviously cancer, so hematology research is focused on malignancy, with few opportunities for research in benign hematology.

Hope that this helps future applicants. Best of luck!

Hello everyone. I am a resident soon to be applying for Heme-Onc fellowship. I am interested in academics and hope to focus ultimately in Hematology. I am undecided between benign and malignant Heme/BMT, so I wanted to get thoughts on which programs have the strongest Hematology training across the board. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know of a place to get general info of top tier or generalized sense of good malignant/benign programs?

Fellowship programs which are strong in hematology:​

Having completed the interview process, I would be happy to answer this question. My personal research interests are in benign hematology.

I. Top tier programs that are exceptionally strong (clinically and research wise) in malignant hematology, BMT AND benign hematology:
West Coast: USCF, University of Washington
Midwest: University of Michigan, Wash U, Northwestern, Mayo Clinic
South: Vanderbilt, Duke
Mid-Atlantic: UPenn, NIH/NCI, Cornell, Columbia (although benign hematology research is still in the growing phases here and much stronger at Cornell), Hopkins
Northeast: Dana Farber, BIDMC, Yale

II. Programs with particular strengths in benign hematology: In addition to the programs listed above:
UNC (outstanding faculty for benign hematology, which lots of great basic and clinical research opportunities)
University of Wisconsin (ditto as stated above)

III. Programs with particular strengths in malignant hematology / BMT: In addition to the programs listed above:
University of Minnesota (outstanding BMT and malignant hematology)
Moffitt Cancer Center (ditto as above)

IV: Programs which are not necessarily "top tier" programs, but nonetheless have excellent hematology faculty with very good research opportunities:
Cleveland Clinic (benign hematology research is growing, with recruitment of new faculty)
UPMC, Boston University, Emory (all these programs have great opportunities for research in sickle cell disease)
NYU (great research and clinical opportunities in benign hematology)
Oregon Health Sciences (malignant hematology is strong, and getting better)
Ohio State University (very strong clinically, with great hematology research opportunities for fellows)

V. Programs to consider avoiding if you may have potential research interests in benign hematology (due to lack of viable research opportunities):
Moffitt Cancer Center
University of Chicago
MD Anderson
Fox Chase Cancer Center
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Mount Sinai in NYC

At very large and prominent cancer centers such as MD Anderson and Memorial Sloan Kettering, the focus is obviously cancer, so hematology research is focused on malignancy, with few opportunities for research in benign hematology.

Hope that this helps future applicants. Best of luck!

You left out a very strong benign hem program: Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. That is basically the Mekka of benign heme. They have the Blood center which is also the biggest blood bank, very big names with thrombosis and TTP, etc.