Bernie Sanders says he will cancel all student loan debt if he’s president, can he do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It wouldn't surprise me if Biden got over 60% in many states

Bernie somehow thinks he's going to win Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

It wouldn't surprise me if Biden got over 60% in many states

Bernie somehow thinks he's going to win Michigan

sigh. another biden voter. like attracts like. dementia buddies

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that, we shouldn’t be

Lots of third world countries require payment up front. When I’m there, it’s super important to keep your American passport on you (especially if you look local) so the better hospitals will admit you and treat.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Which there should never be. You start delivering some pizzas for me and now I am infinitely liable for all your health expenses? Nope

In this scenario are we both on an employer funded plan or government funded plan, I’m confused?

If I’m delivering pizzas and I’m on the Pizza Hut Health plan and you are working for Umbrella Corp. You are not infinitely liable for my health expenses. Pizza Hut is. You have no association with Pizza Hut except buying pizza, feeding their top line revenue which makes it down to their employee benefits of which is funding their health plan in conjuncture with any premiums.

Regardless I think you present a very polarizing perspective on health insurance however I’m not sure I fully agree on view. There are patient populations that are in no position to be able to self fund any coverage for themselves that will be all they need. I do believe in a greater social good to help support those with medical needs beyond their ends. Granted I think that line is hard to define which makes things difficult. But if a single mother gives birth to a disabled child and the mother dies in childbirth, what do we do? Just let the baby go out on their own and pray they’ll be able to self-fund their premiums day one? If you say yes I guess that’s you prerogative, but I can tell you a reason why that can’t be the case now is there would be absolutely 0 politicians that could win an election with that view and we would need a majority of both chambers of those to changes laws to get that. And for that I’m grateful.

In this scenario are we both on an employer funded plan or government funded plan, I’m confused?

If I’m delivering pizzas and I’m on the Pizza Hut Health plan and you are working for Umbrella Corp. You are not infinitely liable for my health expenses. Pizza Hut is. You have no association with Pizza Hut except buying pizza, feeding their top line revenue which makes it down to their employee benefits of which is funding their health plan in conjuncture with any premiums.

Regardless I think you present a very polarizing perspective on health insurance however I’m not sure I fully agree on view. There are patient populations that are in no position to be able to self fund any coverage for themselves that will be all they need. I do believe in a greater social good to help support those with medical needs beyond their ends. Granted I think that line is hard to define which makes things difficult. But if a single mother gives birth to a disabled child and the mother dies in childbirth, what do we do? Just let the baby go out on their own and pray they’ll be able to self-fund their premiums day one? If you say yes I guess that’s you prerogative, but I can tell you a reason why that can’t be the case now is there would be absolutely 0 politicians that could win an election with that view and we would need a majority of both chambers of those to changes laws to get that. And for that I’m grateful.
I don't think pizza hut owes you (via govt force) unlimited health care expenses just because you deliver pizza. I also don't think the govt should make anyone else pay for each other.

I don't think pizza hut owes you (via govt force) unlimited health care expenses just because you deliver pizza. I also don't think the govt should make anyone else pay for each other.

its not unlimited there are bounds. Things like elective health care expenses don’t need to be covered. If you have problems on the definition on what is or isn’t elective I think that’s a fair argument worth having. IMO It’s one of those inevitable lines that comes with having a better pragmatic solution than one or two extremes. I am with you that I don’t believe it’s best that the government decide those lines or if they do play an extremely limited role with the least amount of specificity as possible.

But back to my disabled newborn of a now dead single mother with dad that has previously died via traumatic accident... who pays for that child’s health expenses? You just hope you get enough donations to cover the costs? And if you don’t? You believe it’s ok just to let them try to make it as long as they can without support? Very intrigued on your thoughts because to get to your vision someone would have to answer this. I 100% understand your view of an “ideal” world. The problem is the world isn’t ideal. It is filled with irrational actors with unpredictable events.

Reactions: 1 user
Your student loan debt is like credit card debt which has an interest rate of 15-17%. It is higher because there is no collateral like a house, a car. We can’t just take away your degree.

Where would you be today if access to student loans wasn’t easy? Admission standards have dropped like a rock. You would be working as a tech or wash test tubes for a living.

The tax payers are ultimately the loser here. They gave you $300 k for 3-4 years of tuition plus living cost. And now you don’t even want to pay it back? What else are you expecting from tax payers?
I saw people borrow then file bankruptcy. Can student file bankruptcy?

trump voter. amiright?

its not unlimited there are bounds. Things like elective health care expenses don’t need to be covered. If you have problems on the definition on what is or isn’t elective I think that’s a fair argument worth having. IMO It’s one of those inevitable lines that comes with having a better pragmatic solution than one or two extremes. I am with you that I don’t believe it’s best that the government decide those lines or if they do play an extremely limited role with the least amount of specificity as possible.

But back to my disabled newborn of a now dead single mother with dad that has previously died via traumatic accident... who pays for that child’s health expenses? You just hope you get enough donations to cover the costs? And if you don’t? You believe it’s ok just to let them try to make it as long as they can without support? Very intrigued on your thoughts because to get to your vision someone would have to answer this. I 100% understand your view of an “ideal” world. The problem is the world isn’t ideal. It is filled with irrational actors with unpredictable events.
Minor wards of the state? Sure they can be paid for until adulthood

Members don't see this ad :)
Minor wards of the state? Sure they can be paid for until adulthood

but what happened to not being forced to pay for other people?

What I think I’m gathering is you are ok with some degree on the population having their benefits paid for. I think you likely just disagree where the line is on who gets it and who doesn’t. If that same baby born is wheelchair bound and severely disabled requiring daily medications and unable to get a job but reaches the age of adulthood do we just kick them to the curb and say figure it out youre on your own now?

but what happened to not being forced to pay for other people?

What I think I’m gathering is you are ok with some degree on the population having their benefits paid for. I think you likely just disagree where the line is on who gets it and who doesn’t. If that same baby born is wheelchair bound and severely disabled requiring daily medications and unable to get a job but reaches the age of adulthood do we just kick them to the curb and say figure it out youre on your own now?
yes. adults are their own responsibility, then their family voluntarily, then charity voluntarily

yes. adults are their own responsibility, then their family voluntarily, then charity voluntarily

So that 18 year old or however old you define “adult” that can’t work and has no family if they don’t find a charity you are ok with letting them die? Just clarifying.

Did Washington Mutual pay off all loans or file bankruptcy?

Sort of trick question, it was placed into receivership, sold the banking subsidiaries, and the now bank-free WaMu, Inc. filed for bankruptcy after.

It’s like ripping off my legs, getting run over by a car, and saying the car was the proximate cause of death.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Haha
The capitalist excuse is that when businesses are handed tax breaks and subsidies and bailouts there is a return on investment and when you give it to poor people they just spend the money on themselves or save. :rolleyes:
That aint capitalism.

So that 18 year old or however old you define “adult” that can’t work and has no family if they don’t find a charity you are ok with letting them die? Just clarifying.
We all die. Doesn’t mean people owe us things

The capitalist excuse is that when businesses are handed tax breaks and subsidies and bailouts there is a return on investment and when you give it to poor people they just spend the money on themselves or save. :rolleyes:
THe capitalist excuse is that tax reductions are just letting people keep their money

Huh?

not sure how this was confusing... the person who I was talking to responded.

SB said cover them until they reach adulthood. At that point once they reach the Magic age their benefit card stops working and they die. SB ok with that since we all die.

not sure how this was confusing... the person who I was talking to responded.

SB said cover them until they reach adulthood. At that point once they reach the Magic age their benefit card stops working and they die. SB ok with that since we all die.

My point was why do people go to the extreme to make a their point?

If a person can't find a job even at minimum wage they aren't trying hard .

If Sanders truly wants Trump to not get reelected he needs to drop out tomorrow.

We'll see what matters more to Bernie.

Reactions: 1 users
My point was why do people go to the extreme to make a their point?

If a person can't find a job even at minimum wage they aren't trying hard .

This person didn’t believe in any government or employee subsidized healthcare. I was merely testing if this was actually what they believed. Turns out they are ok funding a disabled child born with no family. But once they turn 18 kick them off. I totally agree I think people should try hard but there are certainly extremely disabled people that can’t find jobs.

Extremes are effectively used to prove a point when people feel so absolute in their ways. They can quickly identify that often the person doesn’t have that extreme view it’s really a different thing that they have a problem with. Clearly in this case it’s not that they don’t believe there should be some type of federal/state welfare but they have a problem with the population boundaries on who is entitled to that benefit.

I actually agree with Bernie on some issues like foreign affairs. However, I totally disagree with him on the solutions. His you vs me solutions are divisive. They don’t actually solve the problems. They just take money from one group and give it to another.

Just look at how much money we are spending on education and healthcare....a big waste of money.

Reactions: 1 users
If Sanders truly wants Trump to not get reelected he needs to drop out tomorrow.

Nah, Dems will vote for Biden or Sanders no matter who. Rep will vote for Trump no matter how he is.
The question is: are there more Dems who vote this time than in 2016?

Nah, Dems will vote for Biden or Sanders no matter who. Rep will vote for Trump no matter how he is.
The question is: are there more Dems who vote this time than in 2016?

This is far from true. The Democratic party is split in half (well in 2/3 to 1/3?). Progressives want way more then what Biden is promoting. This will cause many to stay home.

Bernie needs to stop now and fully embrace Biden.

On the plus side if Biden does somehow win, I don't think he will be able to run for reelection. He made not even know who he is in 4 years so if Bernie doesn't die from a heart attack he could try again.

This is far from true. The Democratic party is split in half (well in 2/3 to 1/3?). Progressives want way more then what Biden is promoting. This will cause many to stay home.

On the plus side if Biden does somehow win, I don't think he will be able to run for reelection. He made not even know who he is in 4 years so if Bernie doesn't die from a heart attack he could try again.
They did stay home in 2016 and elected Trump. We'll see if they stay home again. I don't think so. But we'll see.

It is over for Bernie. Whoever Biden chooses as VP is going to be a bigger deal this time around.

It is over for Bernie. Whoever Biden chooses as VP is going to be a bigger deal this time around.
better hope it's not Warren. you, mentos, and wagrx will be paying for my student loans while i win the stock market with my own money.

Last edited:
  • Haha
better hope it's not Warren. you and wagrx will be paying for my student loans while i win the stock market with my own money.
Ready to post your 2019 losses yet?

better hope it's not Warren. you and wagrx will be paying for my student loans while i win the stock market with my own money.
I hope Biden will do something about student loans, like 5% for 30 years.
Trump never cares about it.

This person didn’t believe in any government or employee subsidized healthcare. I was merely testing if this was actually what they believed. Turns out they are ok funding a disabled child born with no family. But once they turn 18 kick them off. I totally agree I think people should try hard but there are certainly extremely disabled people that can’t find jobs.

Extremes are effectively used to prove a point when people feel so absolute in their ways. They can quickly identify that often the person doesn’t have that extreme view it’s really a different thing that they have a problem with. Clearly in this case it’s not that they don’t believe there should be some type of federal/state welfare but they have a problem with the population boundaries on who is entitled to that benefit.
I gave you that to save time. I actually believe that private charity could handle orphans if everyone knew the govt wouldn’t get involved in funding and stopped taking so much in taxes. I do understand the desire to cover kids

better hope it's not Warren. you, mentos, and wagrx will be paying for my student loans while i win the stock market with my own money.

Two 70 year old+ politicians running together as a team? That is a joke.

Let’s also be honest. Warren is not a progressive. She decided to use it to advance her own political career just like when she claimed to be Indian when she applied for a faculty position at Harvard.

She doesn’t care about your damn student loan. She just wanted to take votes away from Bernie but it forced Bernie to propose an even crazier loan forgiveness plan. Forgiving loans to rich doctors, dentists and pharmacists? Give me a break. The public is not going to buy it.

Bernie’s policies are too divisive. Yang’s $1000 a month UBI is a lot more acceptable and therefore, has a better chance of passing thru Congress.

We all know he is in it for himself. Also, no one likes Warren as shown in her own home state.

Sanders only shot is the hold out and expose Biden during the debates as someone who can't handle the pressure of a debate. They are already changed the rules of the debate to exclude Tulsi because her only reason for staying in the race is to kneecap Biden at the debate. They are also proposing making the debate shorter and are gonna give the candidates the option to sit instead of forcing them to stand.

If Biden wants the support of the Sanders wing of the party, he is gonna have to make concessions by putting a progressive like Ro Khanna or Nina Turner or Debbie Stabenow or Tammy Baldwin at VP and embrace the progressive policies.

Sanders only shot is the hold out and expose Biden during the debates as someone who can't handle the pressure of a debate. They are already changed the rules of the debate to exclude Tulsi because her only reason for staying in the race is to kneecap Biden at the debate. They are also proposing making the debate shorter and are gonna give the candidates the option to sit instead of forcing them to stand.

If Biden wants the support of the Sanders wing of the party, he is gonna have to make concessions by putting a progressive like Ro Khanna or Nina Turner or Debbie Stabenow or Tammy Baldwin at VP and embrace the progressive policies.

You are overestimating Bernie's appeal. People voted for him in 2016 because they didn't like Clinton not because they want Bernie. If anything, the primary results have shown how weak he is. He can't win decisively without a large west coast latino population. Are those people going to vote for Trump in 2020? I don't think so.

It is over for Bernie. I want him to keep on going tho so he would get destroyed in Florida, Ohio, Illinois and New York.

You are overestimating Bernie's appeal. People voted for him in 2016 because they didn't like Clinton not because they want Bernie. If anything, the primary results have shown how weak he is. He can't win decisively without a large west coast latino population. Are those people going to vote for Trump in 2020? I don't think so.

It is over for Bernie. I want him to keep on going tho so he would get destroyed in Florida, Ohio, Illinois and New York.

Bernie's appeal is in the under 45 range. Problem is, a lot of his supporters are not old enough to vote. Also, it seems that the Bernie stragegists were trying to copy Trumps' results from 2016. (Establish a base of support of 30-35% and win with that.) The Republicans kept a bloated field in the RNC primaries and that allowed Trump to win the plurality.

Before Klobuchar and Buttigieg and Bloomberg dropped out, Biden was polling very low and Bernie was predicted to win most of the contests. DNC realized what was gonna happen and intervened to convince Klobuchar and Buttigieg to drop out, and all those voters went straight to Biden instead of staying home and not participating.

Bernie's appeal is in the under 45 range. Problem is, a lot of his supporters are not old enough to vote. Also, it seems that the Bernie stragegists were trying to copy Trumps' results from 2016. (Establish a base of support of 30-35% and win with that.) The Republicans kept a bloated field in the RNC primaries and that allowed Trump to win the plurality.

Before Klobuchar and Buttigieg and Bloomberg dropped out, Biden was polling very low and Bernie was predicted to win most of the contests. DNC realized what was gonna happen and intervened to convince Klobuchar and Buttigieg to drop out, and all those voters went straight to Biden instead of staying home and not participating.

Unlike Trump, this was Bernie's max supporters. Everyone that dropped were moderate supporters. This is what I was trying to say the whole time. People were saying Bernie was the front runner. Sorry but he was simply getting his max vote while moderates were split. You don't win with 30% vote.

You have to understand, 80% of the population does not want to have a socialist economy. It's that simple.

I think over time as the older population dies, this will slowly convert but it's probably a couple elections away still.

Oh and those candidates dropped for the right reason, low vote turn out and polls looked bad. Why stay in if you can't get 15%?

I'd like to add that if "a lot of his supporters are not old enough to vote" that says a lot about what Bernie is trying to trick people into believing.

Free handouts for everyone.

Everyone always says oh it's better for future generations. No it's better for you ( which is fine you should vote for what's best for you). Stop this nonsense where people actually care about others outside their family and friends.

There's a reason why i say you can donate whenever you want. It's what my family does already. No one needs the government to give their money away on their own.

They just printed out 1.5 trillion to pump into the market, lol
Fed rate is heading 0% next?

Yes, lets destroy Bernie's divisive politics once and for all. No excuses. He needs to be soundly defeated.

Just because Bernie is not gonna run again doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of others who can take over the progressive wing.

Andrew Cuomo would be a very strong candidate for POTUS in 2024. 62 years old right now, would be 66 in 2024, he's been pretty solid as NY governor for 9 years although I'm not a big fan of him because of how he's dragging his feet on making recreational marijuana legal and how he went a little too gun control crazy with the SAFE Act.

Ro Khanna would be a good option.

AOC, Rashida Tlaib, and Ilhan Omar are too new and would not sit well with the Zionists in the Democratic party.