General Admissions & OTCAS Below average stats! Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTkw

Reaction score
So I am really starting to freak out reading some of the stats on here. Everyone is so impressive, it's making me feel like I have no chance at getting in anywhere. I definitely started all of my experiences/observations way too late and got a super low GRE score. Can someone be honest and give me their opinion on if they think I have a chance. I also feel like I am applying super late, which isn't helping my odds.

Undergraduate School: Illinois State University
Major: Human Development and Family Science
Cum GPA: 3.19
Last 60 GPA: 3.577
GRE: 149 V, 140 Q, 4 AWA (I am re-taking next week but probably won't do much better, I am absolutely TERRIBLE with standardized testing)
Observation hours: Around 50 total (outpatient clinic & at elementary schools)
Experience: ABA Line Therapist (working with children with autism), Caregiver for the geriatric population, an internship at Easterseals. Volunteer work at Easterseals, Children's Discovery Museum, and as an after-school sports coach for elementary-aged children.

Applying to: Midwestern (IL and AZ), Chicago State University, Lewis University, North Central College, and Maryville University

UPDATE:
*Application verified 10/10
GRE 2nd attempt: 147 V, 145 Q, 4.5 AWA
GPA (OTCAS calculation): 3.21
Observation hours: ~85 hrs

Interviews: North Central, Chicago State U
Rejections: Lewis, Maryville
Waitlist: Midwestern (Glendale)
Alternate list: North Central
Accepted: Chicago State University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So I am really starting to freak out reading some of the stats on here. Everyone is so impressive, it's making me feel like I have no chance at getting in anywhere. I definitely started all of my experiences/observations way too late and got a super low GRE score. Can someone be honest and give me their opinion on if they think I have a chance. I also feel like I am applying super late, which isn't helping my odds.

GRE: 140 V, 149 Q, 4 AWA (I am re-taking next week but probably won't do much better, I am absolutely TERRIBLE with standardized testing)
Experience: ABA Line Therapist (working with children with autism), Caregiver for the geriatric population, an internship at Easterseals. Volunteer work at Easterseals, Children's Discovery Museum, and as an after-school sports coach for elementary-aged children.

Applying to: Midwestern (IL and AZ), Chicago State University, Lewis University, North Central College, Indiana State University, and Maryville University

**Have not submitted my application yet, but I am hoping to this week.

Don’t get discouraged. Definitely apply to schools that will go off your last 60 hours. Honestly when they finally calculate my cumulative I don’t even think it will be a 3.0. I got interviews from 2 schools last year that went off my last 60 which was a 3.5. And my total GRE was only a 294.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRE: 140 V, 149 Q, 4 AWA (I am re-taking next week but probably won't do much better, I am absolutely TERRIBLE with standardized testing)

Applying to: Midwestern (IL and AZ), Chicago State University, Lewis University, North Central College, Indiana State University, and Maryville University

Hey,

Nothing is impossible if you really want to be an OT! I think that you have great experiences! Make sure you write a great personal essay. Submit your application as soon as possible! keep me posted. I turned in my application last August and I heard back from three schools. Im nervous for the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Hi! I go to Lewis University currently, and the average GPA to get in was 3.34 actually I believe. The average GRE was a 297 and below too. My suggestion is to get more shadowing hours in and do multiple settings. Before you retake the GRE, go to Kaplan's website and look at their tips on there. It boosted my GRE up from a 297 to a 302. Don't get discouraged, my friend had WAY lower stats than you but got into North Central and Lewis University. Yes they look at GRE and GPA, but they look more at experience and observation hours. They told us on orientation day (lewis) that they were looking for people with experience and observation hours, because those are the people who will know what occupational therapy is.
Good luck, I wish all the best for you!!

Hey,

Nothing is impossible if you really want to be an OT! I think that you have great experiences! Make sure you write a great personal essay. Submit your application as soon as possible! keep me posted. I turned in my application last August and I heard back from three schools. Im nervous for the interview.

Thank you!! I submitted my applications last week and it got verified this morning! I am pretty happy with my personal statement so I am hoping that I can get in somewhere, I am so nervous I will get rejected everywhere. I would even be happy to be waitlisted lol.
Also, good luck to you too!! I am sure you will do great in your interviews. Let me know if you get in anywhere!

Hi! I go to Lewis University currently, and the average GPA to get in was 3.34 actually I believe. The average GRE was a 297 and below too. My suggestion is to get more shadowing hours in and do multiple settings. Before you retake the GRE, go to Kaplan's website and look at their tips on there. It boosted my GRE up from a 297 to a 302. Don't get discouraged, my friend had WAY lower stats than you but got into North Central and Lewis University. Yes they look at GRE and GPA, but they look more at experience and observation hours. They told us on orientation day (lewis) that they were looking for people with experience and observation hours, because those are the people who will know what occupational therapy is.
Good luck, I wish all the best for you!!
That is actually really good to hear. Thanks for the info. Do you like the Lewis program? It seems great.
Also, I just retook the GRE today and got a 147 on verbal this time, so I was able to really bring that score up! I am going to use Score Select when I send the scores to schools so I can use my top scores (which will be 149 quant, 147 verbal, 4 AWA, 300 total). I am really hoping my experiences are enough to get me an interview because I am definitely lacking observation hours, but I am still currently working on building them up. Do you happen to know how many applicants Lewis and North Central get? I heard schools like Midwestern get over 1,000, which is making me nervous. My application is not competitive enough to compete with that many people!! :(

Thank you!! I submitted my applications last week and it got verified this morning! I am pretty happy with my personal statement so I am hoping that I can get in somewhere, I am so nervous I will get rejected everywhere. I would even be happy to be waitlisted lol.
Also, good luck to you too!! I am sure you will do great in your interviews. Let me know if you get in anywhere!

What did you use for studying GRE? I might retake mine if i didn’t get in. But hopefully, I still get in even though my GRE is bad huhu huhu. :/

That is actually really good to hear. Thanks for the info. Do you like the Lewis program? It seems great.
Also, I just retook the GRE today and got a 147 on verbal this time, so I was able to really bring that score up! I am going to use Score Select when I send the scores to schools so I can use my top scores (which will be 149 quant, 147 verbal, 4 AWA, 300 total). I am really hoping my experiences are enough to get me an interview because I am definitely lacking observation hours, but I am still currently working on building them up. Do you happen to know how many applicants Lewis and North Central get? I heard schools like Midwestern get over 1,000, which is making me nervous. My application is not competitive enough to compete with that many people!! :(
Congratulations that is fantastic!! I love the Lewis program!! The teachers are amazing there and so caring about everyone and everything. They really just want us to succeed, and give us every opportunity to do so. Lewis had 700 applicants for their program, and they considered 120 ish people for the program in depth. They do look at all the applications. I'm not sure about North Central, but I think it is around the same amount as Lewis. You have a good chance to get an interview to Midwestern! They interview a lot of people there. Good luck!!

What did you use for studying GRE? I might retake mine if i didn’t get in. But hopefully, I still get in even though my GRE is bad huhu huhu. :/
I used Magoosh and some ETS GRE books! Although I would say Magoosh helped me more because it was the online format. If you end up retaking it, I recommend doing some sort of online program!

Congratulations that is fantastic!! I love the Lewis program!! The teachers are amazing there and so caring about everyone and everything. They really just want us to succeed, and give us every opportunity to do so. Lewis had 700 applicants for their program, and they considered 120 ish people for the program in depth. They do look at all the applications. I'm not sure about North Central, but I think it is around the same amount as Lewis. You have a good chance to get an interview to Midwestern! They interview a lot of people there. Good luck!!
That is awesome! I am so glad to hear that you love the Lewis program. I am hoping for Lewis or North Central or really any program, haha. But thank you!! I will probably come on here and update you when I hear back!

That is awesome! I am so glad to hear that you love the Lewis program. I am hoping for Lewis or North Central or really any program, haha. But thank you!! I will probably come on here and update you when I hear back!
awesome! good luck!!

Your stats are similar to mine and I have gotten a lot of interview invites including North Central and Rush. I've already been accepted to Drake as well. Go for it! I would get your applications in ASAP though.

Your stats are similar to mine and I have gotten a lot of interview invites including North Central and Rush. I've already been accepted to Drake as well. Go for it! I would get your applications in ASAP though.
That is awesome! Congrats on Drake, I looked into it but it is pretty far from home for me so I decided against it. But I have everything submitted now, just waiting on my official GRE scores to be sent! Do you mind letting me know how the North Central interview goes if you remember afterwards?! I would appreciate the insight so much.

That is awesome! Congrats on Drake, I looked into it but it is pretty far from home for me so I decided against it. But I have everything submitted now, just waiting on my official GRE scores to be sent! Do you mind letting me know how the North Central interview goes if you remember afterwards?! I would appreciate the insight so much.
Absolutely I will let you know!

Would you mind sharing your stats? I submitted an app early decision to Rush and am still waiting to hear back!

Got in with lower scores than you did and I am a practicing OT. Keep fighting and kick butt in all the other areas of your application! Good luck

Got in with lower scores than you did and I am a practicing OT. Keep fighting and kick butt in all the other areas of your application! Good luck
That is awesome. Thank you!!! Even if I don't get in this year, I am going to keep strengthening my application and apply again next year!

If it helps at all, my scores aren't much better and I got on the waitlist on my top choice last year. I retook the GRE this year and did worse :( but I'm not giving up. I'm applying again this year with more extracurriculars and better personal statements/supplementals at 5 different schools so I'm hoping I'll get into one! If OT is truly the path you want to take, don't give up!

If it helps at all, my scores aren't much better and I got on the waitlist on my top choice last year. I retook the GRE this year and did worse :( but I'm not giving up. I'm applying again this year with more extracurriculars and better personal statements/supplementals at 5 different schools so I'm hoping I'll get into one! If OT is truly the path you want to take, don't give up!

What schools did you apply?

Hi! I was just wondering how your interview went at North Central! Did you hear back from anywhere yet?