Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thought I’d share my story too. Typical idiot undergrad out of high school in 1997. Bombed my classes. Lots of F’s D’s and W’s. Came back to school three years ago and had to dig myself out of a 2.4 GPA hole to make the 3.0 minimum. Sucky part was that I only had hard science left. I averaged a 3.7 over 80 credits and got my GPA to 3.05. I studied for the MCAT like it was my full time job: 10 hours per day, 6 days per week for about 1.5 months. I got a 514. I couldn’t believe it. My first practice was 493. I applied to 40 schools with a good mix of DO and MD schools. I’m an older non trad who spent the last 20 years as a construction worker so I wasn’t even in the health industry but I tried hard to demonstrate a passion for medicine. So far I have 2 MD invites and 4 DO invites. No acceptances yet. I have about 5 or 6 preinterview rejections. I feel like adcoms either like my story or hate it but that’s ok as long as I get in somewhere. I even joined the wrestling club and became the 2nd oldest person to ever qualify for the national championships (club level). Dream big and work hard! Nothing can hold you back but you!!!! Don’t doubt yourself! You can do it and somebody will appreciate your journey.

UPDATE: I just got accepted to my number-one choice MD school. I still haven't been able to digest this fully, but it's real. WE CAN DO THIS! The right med school will appreciate our journeys and transformations. Good luck everyone!
WOW CONGRATULATIONS! That takes a level of dedication. You're 40? I would have quit by then. This gives me hope. I finally reached 3.0 with like 20 credits post bacc and I freaking hate it so far how they do not care about me and send me rejections. Ugh

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
WOW CONGRATULATIONS! That takes a level of dedication. You're 40? I would have quit by then. This gives me hope. I finally reached 3.0 with like 20 credits post bacc and I freaking hate it so far how they do not care about me and send me rejections. Ugh
I think I got 5 pre-secondary rejections and 2-3 post secondary which is more than anyone I know at this point. BUT I got 7 invites so far (5 DO and 2 MD) and both MDs turned into acceptances sooooo this tells me that some schools care a lot about their stats (we bring the GPA down a bit) and others care about the diversity we bring (these are the only ones we care about).

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone,
In brief, I am a PhD student studying medicine in Canada. My biggest hurdle as I apply to medical schools is most definitely my GPA.
>undergrad GPA: 2.8
>graduate GPA: 3.9 (Though this is a thesis-based degree, I have taken a course (or two) every single semester over my 5 year PhD)
[Based off of this year's entry statistics for almost all Canadian and US schools, my MCAT score is competitive. I have hundreds of hours of extracurricular activities ranging from volunteering, community service, student groups, leadership, etc. I have 100+ hours of shadowing in different clinics/services. 10+ pubs in mid-high tier journals (4 first author), various long-term employment experiences, etc etc.]

At this time, it seems very unlikely that I'll make it past the GPA cutoffs for all Canadian schools based off of conversations with advisers, weighted GPA calculations, etc. This has pushed me to look in the direction of US schools.
Are there any US MD schools (not DO) that look favorably to PhD students? And a step-further: Canadian PhD students?

I have zero intention of changing my career path, so I have also entertained the idea of EU or AUS schools, though I am very aware of the obstacles, costs, and residency challenges associated.

Eager to gather some input from this forum!

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE:

Wanted to provide an update on my stats after finishing my SMP/Masters in Medical Science

Cumulative GPA = 2.368
Science GPA = 2.459
(Graduated in 2014 from Top 25 Univ)
Post-Bacc Overall = 3.20
Post-Bacc Science = 3.263
Grad/SMP GPA = 3.70 on the nose
MCAT = 514, balanced

30k+ hours as a paramedic including preceptor and educator as well as flight. Worked in level II trauma center. Emergency operations liaison for said trauma center along with other roles. Strong LOR from DOs (applying DO only) including alumni from top two schools. Volunteer work, including patient visits with my therapy dog. Non-science research as research assistant. Multiple leadership experience. Chemistry tutor.

Post-bacc could be better but working two jobs with school was rough. I'm 34, white male. Married and our first baby due in February.

It's easy to look at my numbers and say "nope, no way". I question my decision to even bother applying frequently. What the heck am I thinking? Who would want me? Look at my numbers! Even my post-bacc could be so much better. Buttttt . . . .

I/You/WE are more than just our stats. @Goro has mentioned reinventing oneself. I did NOT do well in UG. Right around a 2.2 overall for both cGPA and sGPA. So my post-bacc IS much different. And my SMP/Masters consisted of hard sciences that kicked my butt. But I did well in that and nailed my MCAT. Plus I have made some very good connections. All in all, I am a bizarre candidate for medical school. Maybe I don't even get an interview. Maybe I am wasting my time. Or maybe, just maybe, there is more to me than just numbers. We will find out.

No doubt you will get interviews.

UPDATE:

Wanted to provide an update on my stats after finishing my SMP/Masters in Medical Science

Cumulative GPA = 2.368
Science GPA = 2.459
(Graduated in 2014 from Top 25 Univ)
Post-Bacc Overall = 3.20
Post-Bacc Science = 3.263
Grad/SMP GPA = 3.70 on the nose
MCAT = 514, balanced

30k+ hours as a paramedic including preceptor and educator as well as flight. Worked in level II trauma center. Emergency operations liaison for said trauma center along with other roles. Strong LOR from DOs (applying DO only) including alumni from top two schools. Volunteer work, including patient visits with my therapy dog. Non-science research as research assistant. Multiple leadership experience. Chemistry tutor.

Post-bacc could be better but working two jobs with school was rough. I'm 34, white male. Married and our first baby due in February.

It's easy to look at my numbers and say "nope, no way". I question my decision to even bother applying frequently. What the heck am I thinking? Who would want me? Look at my numbers! Even my post-bacc could be so much better. Buttttt . . . .

I/You/WE are more than just our stats. @Goro has mentioned reinventing oneself. I did NOT do well in UG. Right around a 2.2 overall for both cGPA and sGPA. So my post-bacc IS much different. And my SMP/Masters consisted of hard sciences that kicked my butt. But I did well in that and nailed my MCAT. Plus I have made some very good connections. All in all, I am a bizarre candidate for medical school. Maybe I don't even get an interview. Maybe I am wasting my time. Or maybe, just maybe, there is more to me than just numbers. We will find out.
I suggest the following:
Your host med school (if the SMP was given at one)
Your state schools
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and has a too small a rotations base, it seems.
BU
Case
Pitt
UCSF
Keck (maybe)
SLU
Drexel
jefferson
Wake
Miami
Tufts
Rosy F
Rush
Loyola
EVMS
Netter
Creighton
Emory
Dartmouth
Wayne State
Gtown
GWU
NovaMD
Seton Hall
TCU-UNT
Emory
Hofstra

I suggest the following:
Your host med school (if the SMP was given at one)
Your state schools
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and has a too small a rotations base, it seems.
BU
Case
Pitt
UCSF
Keck (maybe)
SLU
Drexel
jefferson
Wake
Miami
Tufts
Rosy F
Rush
Loyola
EVMS
Netter
Creighton
Emory
Dartmouth
Wayne State
Gtown
GWU
NovaMD
Seton Hall
TCU-UNT
Emory
Hofstra

Highlighting your point on any DO school . . .

I've reached out to ALL DO schools and all but a handful (6-7) have said, or implied, my UG GPA will pretty much keep me out. Is there something unwritten that I am missing? How do I get past hard cutoffs?

I've reached out to ALL DO schools and all but a handful (6-7) have said, or implied, my UG GPA will pretty much keep me out. Is there something unwritten that I am missing? How do I get past hard cutoffs?
there's a post on reddit from a guy who called dozens of school asking about screens and listed their answers. I'd add in the MD schools, especially regional ones and really focus on mission and fit. sell your story, not your numbers

Apply to the schools that are holistic and/or have soft cut-offs.

Hey gang, just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement I received here last year and try to pass it on. I graduated with a 2.7cGPA with an impressively low 1.9sGPA ~10 years ago. Over the last three years I managed to drag my AMCAS verified undergrad sGPA to a 2.95 and 3.08 overall with an ~80 credit diy Post-bac and topped it off with a stellar (>95%ile) MCAT last Spring. Sprinkle in thousands of hours of paid and volunteer clinical experience all tied together with a coherent, compelling narrative. This cycle I applied to 13 MD, 12 secondaries, 2 post-secondary rejections, 2 interview invites, 1 interview attended with 1 MD acceptance and an interview at my top pick next month, and 8 schools that I still have a shot at.

You are not defined by your numbers, numbers are a tiny part of this game, reinvention is real and it starts with your narrative. Good luck and thanks again
I'm new to this site and after seeing your post it gives me hope. I had a cgpa of 2.6 and a CSU gpa of 2.9. I never know which GPA post baccs want. I obviously did way better when I transferred to CSU for my last 2 yrs (community college sucked!). But everyone wants 3.0 minimums . I went to law school and received a 2.8, but I know for a fact had I not worked full time while doing school full time I would have made that 3.0. Where did you do your post bacc?

Hi Everyone,

I promised myself I would come back to this thread if I were ever accepted into medical school.

Over 5 years ago (just a year after this thread was first created), I graduated with a BA degree from a small, private school. When I first began my BA, in October of my freshman year, I suddenly lost someone very close to me to an undiagnosed illness. I was very depressed and earned terrible grades that first semester. I was put on academic probation my first year and received a letter of disappointment from my college. I entered sophomore year with a sub-2.0 GPA.

My rough freshman year created a ‘broken window’ effect that persisted for the remainder of my time in college. I attracted and cultivated friendships with other people who were doing poorly in school. I avoided mentors and other resources that might have helped me because I was too ashamed and felt too lost to share my experience. I ended with an overall GPA of 2.7 - my sGPA was worse, around 2.5.

After I graduated, I knew I would never attend medical school. I spent the summer applying to lab technician jobs and never received a single response.

I remember reading this thread and feeling incredibly empowered by the non-traditional success stories I found here. I took screenshots of ones that inspired me (I still have the pictures on my phone); I realized I was wrong - I could still become a physician.

I moved back in with my parents and enrolled at an technical institute near my house. I took non-matriculate courses to fix the classes I had done poorly in for a semester and volunteered in a lab on campus. I feel in love with the people, the program, the research and - what the hell - decided to go back to school for a second degree. I earned a 4.0 in my first year and started receiving merit scholarships that greatly reduced the cost of attending school. Four years of research, several internships in the pharmaceutical industry, multiple conferences and a few major merit awards later - I graduated with a 4.0 and applied to medical school. I then took a gap year to work in pharma and save some, much needed, money.

Today, I was accepted into a top 3 medical school. I will be starting in just a few months. It is genuinely a dream come true.

For all you dreamers and non-trads out there, you can do it!!! If I can, so can you! Change your mindset, change your life :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did it fam! Accepted to my state MD!!!! It's possible even with a sub s/cgpa <3.0. Do your best, never stop believing!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
there's a post on reddit from a guy who called dozens of school asking about screens and listed their answers. I'd add in the MD schools, especially regional ones and really focus on mission and fit. sell your story, not your numbers
Ah I remember reading that post

It's great to read all of your stories. Everyone, thanks for sharing.

This is my story: I'm an American, but went abroad for school. Got 2 degrees (bachelor's and master's) in a language that was foreign to me until the age of 19, and I have now been working as a legal advisor since about 2016. I've always really wanted to return to the US to do medical school, but I was too scared to kind of take the plunge and I didn't really know where to begin. Lots of apprehension. When I translate my foreign grades into an American GPA, I see that my undergrad GPA is around a 3.0 (or maybe just slightly less, depending on the website) and graduate around a 3.3/3.4. I feel like I didn't do terribly well because I was studying in a language I learned as an adult, and because I had a terribly sick family member. During 2 semesters, I stayed in the US just to take care of this family member and only took flights in order to take the exams.

I decided to take the first step by starting to study for the GRE, as many post bacc programs require some sort of standardised test. I've also done some shadowing here (I shadowed a family practitioner and already helped with a research project) and did some volunteer work at the local hospital, which mostly consisted of handing out coffee. I work as a freelance advisor so this gives me some flexibility in terms of shadowing and volunteering.

I was wondering if any of you could tell me if I'm doing the right things, if I should even bother taking this path and if I stand a chance.

So glad to see this thread is still going and so many success stories! I'm currently on a mandatory clerkship/rotation break due to the pandemic, so feel free to to ask away anything to me!

Reactions: 2 users
So glad to see this thread is still going and so many success stories! I'm currently on a mandatory clerkship/rotation break due to the pandemic, so feel free to to ask away anything to me!
How has medical school been coming from a nontraditional background?

No real questions but I just wanted to say I remember reading your posts on here back in like 2014-15 thinking I wish I had whatever some of these people have. I had a 2.4 cgpa and a 2.0 sgpa with over 130 credits and no degree and no direction working as a laborer building retaining walls. I finally built up the courage to go back to school (2017) and took a year of classes, completed a bachelors in respiratory therapy, am now taking some classes part time and have maintained a 4.0 (~100 credits) while working in the ICU during a freaking pandemic. I’m not all the way back but both gpas are over 2.9 and I have a solid plan (with evidence now that I’m a good student) to get me to where I need to be and it’s because of the hope and inspiration you brought in this thread. I can’t thank you enough

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
No real questions but I just wanted to say I remember reading your posts on here back in like 2014-15 thinking I wish I had whatever some of these people have. I had a 2.4 cgpa and a 2.0 sgpa with over 130 credits and no degree and no direction working as a laborer building retaining walls. I finally built up the courage to go back to school (2017) and took a year of classes, completed a bachelors in respiratory therapy, am now taking some classes part time and have maintained a 4.0 (~100 credits) while working in the ICU during a freaking pandemic. I’m not all the way back but both gpas are over 2.9 and I have a solid plan (with evidence now that I’m a good student) to get me to where I need to be and it’s because of the hope and inspiration you brought in this thread. I can’t thank you enough
Best of luck to you! You seem ambitious, caring, and very hard working.

Wow, this is such an awesome thread! So much success stories, I’m so happy for all of those who have gotten accepted!

I’ve been on this gpa repair since the Fall of 2018. Started out with a sGPA of 2.3 and I’m currently at a 2.65 sGPA and 3.07cgpa. It’s been tough but I’m going to continue pushing on. These stories give me hope!

Reactions: 5 users
How has medical school been coming from a nontraditional background?

Anyway you slice it med school is tough, and at many times just flat out sucks. It's a very humbling, discouraging, and an invigorating journey. Coming into it as a nontrad student that, I and the other nontrads in my class, did seem to handle the stress of medical school better than our traditional student classmates. I am not saying we did better on exams, I am just saying we seemed to handle the adversity that med school throws at everyone better.

A lot of our traditional classmates had never faced failure, academic challenges, and general life challenges like the nontrads in my class had. Also, most of my nontrad classmates had dealt with second careers, marriages, kids, divorces, and even death. Heck, one buddy of mine continued to keep his small business going with the help of his wife during med school and his business is now thriving so much he doesn't even take out loans for med school!

Academically speaking we were all on the same level and started med school with a clean slate. By the end of 2nd year many nontrads had made the top 10 of class rank and others made the bottom 10. Some found success with juggling family obligations with med school obligations very well and others struggled.

Start of 3rd year clerkships we were all back on the same level again and I really noticed that when it came to having wake up at 330am to be at the hospital on time for pre-rounding, that the nontrads seemed to deal with that stress better as well. However, not saying academically better, just handling the stress and challenges of clerkships better. I also noticed great bedside manner, connecting with patients, residents, and attendings seemed to come more natural for the nontrads.

Any way you cut it med school sucks, but at the same time it is an amazing journey. I absolutely never want to go through it again, but I am thankful I got to go through it!

Reactions: 7 users
Hello everyone. I'm writing on my anon account cause the account I usually use has my name in it (I wasn't thinking when I made it hahah). Anyways, I've been a long time lurker on this thread and it really helped me get through the process and I just got accepted to my top choice med school and I wanted to share my story and everything in hopes to help someone in the future. Quick summary, applied 3 times (0 II, 2II, 4II + 2As) and took the new MCAT 4 times (yikes) but did get into a T20.... there is hope. I changed some facts around for anonymity sake, but I hope you enjoy my journey :)

Background: started as a non-science major, at a not so well known school. I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life, and I was really into social activities (who wasn't at 18?). Anyways, as you can guess, my freshman and sophomore year did not go as planned and I essentially had a sub 2.0 GPA going into my junior year. I had a really long summer where I thought about my life and what I wanted to do and after some introspection, I decided to go down medicine (something I've always wanted, didn't know I was capable of it, long family hx of doctors, etc.). Junior, senior, and super senior year, I tried to do the best I could, didn't get a semester under a 3.3, but still ended college with a business degree and a sub 3.0 gpa (after doing AMCAS gpa, it was like a 2.67 (yikes). I decided to finish with a non-science degree because it was cheaper then starting all over, I already did half of it, and I was learning some really good skills. So obviously my grades weren't the highlight of my college experience, but what was the highlight were my extracurriculars. I was super involved in multiple organizations (mainly philanthropic), played a sport, had a job, did a ton of community service, and held multiple e-board positions. Also, I got some volunteering in, shadowing, etc. So that's cool, but my grades still sucked.

Right after graduating college, I started working at a research lab in 2013 and did a post-bac for my pre-reqs. During this time, it was all studying and getting research experience. I was lucky to be paid so that was nice. Once I finished my classes, I did the mcat (it sucked and was my first of four times) and retook again 3 months later (also, not a great score). So 2 MCATS down, and I hit submit. Applied to like 30 schools (only MD --> I was stupid and didn't know anything). I got 16 IIs and ... no, jk, I got nothing. Not a single thing. Because I wasn't ready to apply, even though in my mind I was awesome. So, during that cycle, I took a full-time research job that was offered to me and I started working my app up with research. I took the MCAT again, only did 2 points better, and thought I was ready. LMAO. So, yea, again, applied to like 40ish schools, (MD and DO) and got 2II, but nothing came about it afterwards.

Okay, so during this the year prior to this application cycle, I decided to get outside help. I paid an adviser who was on the admissions committee at a T10 schools, who now just does application help. This person helped with secondaries, school lists, interviewing, etc. Was s/he worth the $$? Maybe, maybe not. But the most important thing I learned was to be UNBIASED (if you are thinking of getting help from here, it may not be worth the money... you get a lot of great advice on SDN/reddit. The thing is you just need to someone who is experienced in med school admissions, so not a pre-med adviser). So I looked at myself, my app, and thought, where can I improve. GRADES. And more extracurriculars. So this is what I did. In research, I worked my butt off, was super lucky with a position I was offered (it was solely to publish) and I took advantage of it. I got double digits pubs, and a ton of abstracts accepted. For grades, I did a masters at an SMP. I did more non-med volunteering, and more shadowing (my job gave me some, but I did as much as possible). I took the MCAT again, after my masters, and got a 90+ percentile score (finally). I learned how to actually study, how to actually take the exam, how to not be emotional during it, and do it right. Also, I learned how to write effectively (mainly from my job, which helped with secondaries). You can learn this way of writing, by reading journal articles (the point was to have a strong point, with using minimal words. Of course with secondaries, you want to tell a story, but it was the being concise that was important). Anyways, I applied again. 32 MD, 8DOs. Got 3 MD IIs and 1 DO II. Got an A for the DO, 2 defers and one WL for the MDs and after a ton of updates and intent letters, got the A for the MD (my favorite school and the one I dreamed of).

This whole process of reinventing didn't happen in one year, two years, or three years. It took many years. I graduated college in '13 and I'm starting in Aug. It sucked as a whole, but I wouldn't have changed any part of it. I learned so much throughout the years. I've had attendings tell me that I'm better with patients than most of their senior residents, that I have more experience with manuscripts, and what not. Taking time off to build yourself up is crucial and it WILL pay you back immensely. I know a lot of people are afraid of being too old or "wasting" a year or so in a gap year job. If it is productive on multiple levels, IT. IS. NOT. A. WASTE.

Okay so that was a lot, but to summarize things I've learned and how to improve, the big thing is don't be biased. Yes we all think we deserve to be here (and we do) but you have to take emotions out of it. This was huge when it came to the MCAT and the process of critiquing my application. Really take a look at what you have going for you and how you can tie it into your story. Most importantly, be confident. You are a great person, you will make a great physician, and you need to be your biggest advocate. This comes in handy with update letters and intent letters.

This post wasn't meant to be braggy or anything. I just wanted to share my story with a community that has given me so much hope and motivation. I hope this helps someone else who, (like me) was at their breaking point, and rejuvenates their motivation to achieve their goal. I'm happy to answer questions. Most importantly, thank you for all for helping me and being so supportive over the years. Y'all are the real MVPs. I can't wait to read your own success stories in the near future! :)

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
CA Nontrad here. No Mcat
cgpa 1.3 for 25 credits = 10 years ago
I will be a junior in 2020-2021. My current AACOMAS cgpa and sgpa=2.9 using calculator on sdn (and also hand calculated)
(undergrad cgpa 3.7 / aacomas sgpa 3.45 past 80 credits and finished all prereqs )
After I finish my jr year, I will only be at a cgpa 3.2. I won’t make the 3.5 gpa needed for DO. What should I do? I really don’t want to do a SMP. Is it hard to advise w/o my final cgpa/sgpa/mcat?

edited to add that I’m a CA resident and still in undergrad

Last edited:
CA Nontrad here. No Mcat
cgpa 1.3= 10 years ago
I will be a junior in 2020-2021. My current AACOMAS cgpa and sgpa=2.9 using calculator on sdn (and also hand calculated)
(Gpa 3.7 past 80 credits and finished all prereqs )
After I finish my jr year, I will only be at a 3.2. I won’t make the 3.5 gpa needed for DO. What should I do? I really don’t want to do a SMP. Is it hard to advise w/o my final cgpa/sgpa/mcat?

edited to add that I’m a CA resident
You don't need a 3.5 GPA to be competitive for DO schools. Your post-bac performance is very impressive and your application will be looked at differently (your app won't be seen as the typical 3.2 applicant because of your post-bac). By the time you apply, you'll be past 80 credits in your post-bac. If you can manage to score at or above a 513 on the MCAT, you should apply to MD schools as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone. I’m a non-trad from NY.
CGPA:2.82
SGPA: haven’t taken any.
Long story short, I fell into depression senior year and failed same 4-5 classes I had remaining to graduate three semesters in a row and got academically dismissed. I wish to pursue psychiatry to help others who suffer from depression and other mental illnesses

I got readmitted to the school and will graduate fall 2020 with BS in accounting. It doesn’t help that I’m graduating with ~140 credits or so and that on record I’ve attempted over 156 credits bit failed many same classes.

I’ve looking into pos-bacc programs, second bachelors, etc.. I’m open ears and I’ll take any recommendations for any locations.

Do I truly have a chance at medical school? Time or cost for tuition isn’t huge for me; after I got dismissed I served in the US army as a mental/behavioral specialist for 4 years so I can utilize the gi bill to fund my tuition.
Time isn’t also a big factor as well because I’ve accepted the fact that it’ll take a while.

Long story short, I fell into depression senior year and failed same 4-5 classes I had remaining to graduate three semesters in a row and got academically dismissed. I wish to pursue psychiatry to help others who suffer from depression and other mental illnesses

I got readmitted to the school and will graduate fall 2020 with BS in accounting. It doesn’t help that I’m graduating with ~140 credits or so and that on record I’ve attempted over 156 credits bit failed many same classes.

I’ve looking into pos-bacc programs, second bachelors, etc.. I’m open ears and I’ll take any recommendations for any locations.

Do I truly have a chance at medical school? Time or cost for tuition isn’t huge for me; after I got dismissed I served in the US army as a mental/behavioral specialist for 4 years so I can utilize the gi bill to fund my tuition.
Time isn’t also a big factor as well because I’ve accepted the fact that it’ll take a while.

you have a golden opportunity to grab that high, possibly even 4.0 sGPA. I would look for a state school or similar where you can take undergrad classes as a non-degree student cheaply or make use of your GI benefits. start with 1-2 science courses, intro bio and intro chem for example. (with emphasis) get As! this might be difficult having never taken a science class before. try to find some folks who are performing at the level you want to be at and emulate their habits.

if you are successful with two classes, try three the next semester and four after that. you don't need an official post-bacc or second bachelors. you need a solid sGPA, perhaps a few more general classes to offset your cGPA, an above average MCAT, ~200 hours of both clinical and non-clinical volunteering, ~40 hours of shadowing.

the most important aspects of your application are GPA and MCAT, with GPA being the hardest to change. try to only take the MCAT once practice tests show you are within striking distance of your goal score. a single, solid MCAT is what you want. your military service will be advantageous in a number of ways (discipline, maturity, experiences to write about in admissions essays).

it's a long road but if you survived the Army I'm sure you can handle it! best of luck to you.

(background: I also did an unofficial post-bacc, starting with near zero science. made nearly every mistake possible, failed classes, took the MCAT multiple times, had to reapply x3. now finishing MS1 at a DO school.)

Things that come to mind
- there is a good amount of time between your undergraduate education and the coursework you plan on restarting. this is good
- shouldn't be too hard to raise your cGPA above 3.0, right? just get A's from now on
- since you haven't taken any science classes, you have an opportunity to score a beautiful academic record taking mostly/only science classes and getting A's in them
- do a year of post-bac and see how it goes. choose wisely which program you do. look at resources they offer and past student feedback, on sdn or through the program itself. see post-bacc subforum on sdn

There's also a difference between DIY and formal post-bacc. there should be resources on sdn explaining this

You don't need a 3.5 GPA to be competitive for DO schools. Your post-bac performance is very impressive and your application will be looked at differently (your app won't be seen as the typical 3.2 applicant because of your post-bac). By the time you apply, you'll be past 80 credits in your post-bac. If you can manage to score at or above a 513 on the MCAT, you should apply to MD schools as well.
Thank you for your advice. I am still in undergrad for my first BA

Thank you for your advice. I am still in undergrad for my first BA
The person you were 10 years ago is different from the person you're today. You've reinvented yourself and you probably have a very interesting story to tell. When do you plan to apply?

The person you were 10 years ago is different from the person you're today. You've reinvented yourself and you probably have a very interesting story to tell. When do you plan to apply?
I am planning for 2021. But I am missing Mcat and shadowing so may have to apply 2022.

I am planning for 2021. But I am missing Mcat and shadowing so may have to apply 2022.
Hopefully you can get some shadowing hours for next year if there isn't a second wave of covid-19 in the fall. I need to get shadowing as well.

Hey guys,

I want to start by saying that you guys are CRUSHING it and its so cool to see so many people find the strength and willpower to dig themselves out of some deep, deep holes and end up achieving their goals. Regardless of what happens to me personally, I'm super proud of all of you and am glad that there will be physicians entering the world with the knowledge and wisdom that comes from hardships like this.

But more to the point,
I'm planning on applying this cycle but I'm worried about my stats.

I was a really high level/professional athlete from when I was 16 until 23 and I never took schooling too seriously because I never thought I'd want to be a doctor and so I switched majors like 100 times, got really terrible grades cause I thought I'd end up at the Olympics and have a great career as an athlete and use that as leverage to get myself into the career I wanted to get into. Stupid, I know. However, once I retired, I took a CNA course and became a CNA/MA at my city's local hospital with the help of some of my family members who are physicians there.

I finished my first undergrad degree (in Economics), after multiple changes of major with a 3.5 in the upper level courses for about 30 credit hours in Economics. I started out as an Exercise Science major and failed some classes twice, and was just a general jackass about school.
After that, I decided to take the summer off and then come back and do a Biology degree emphasizing in Biochemistry and have since held a 3.4-3.7 for over 60 credit hours of classes completely dedicated to the hard sciences and mathematics. I took two 18 hour semesters followed by two 15 credit hour semesters while working 30 hours a week, volunteering, and doing some side-jobs here and there to make paying for school easier.

Overall through my first degree my stats were:
cGPA: 2.4
sGPA: 2.1
BS in Econ. with I think 129 credit hours at the end.

For my second degree after all of my hard work, and now a cumulative total of 203 credit hours:
cGPA: 2.7
sGPA: 2.5
MCAT: 515

I'm freakin because the more I do, the less it impacts my GPA and the level of exertion I'm currently at is straight up unsustainable. I've held out and crushed the last 60 hours of coursework but I'm afraid that it won't be enough to get me into a med school anywhere.

Should I do an SMP? Should I just cut my losses and not even bother applying? Should I just move on and find a way to apply my two degrees in helping the world outside of a direct medical profession?

I have worked with some doctors in my area who are really fond of me and who are pretty well connected with the admissions offices at the med schools they went to who said they'd put in a good word for me/possibly get me an interview, but I want to get in based off of me busting my ass and not off of someone basically giving it to me.

Every post I've seen with people asking about the same stats as me have been responded to by people telling them that there's zero chance that they'll get in. I'm planning on applying to DO schools with a soft cutoff as well as MD schools that are on Goro's list and the one's like LSU and Wayne I think that take your last 20 credit hours in lieu of your cGPA and sGPA or something like that.

Any advice helps.

Keep crushing it!

Hey guys,

I want to start by saying that you guys are CRUSHING it and its so cool to see so many people find the strength and willpower to dig themselves out of some deep, deep holes and end up achieving their goals. Regardless of what happens to me personally, I'm super proud of all of you and am glad that there will be physicians entering the world with the knowledge and wisdom that comes from hardships like this.

But more to the point,

I was a really high level/professional athlete from when I was 16 until 23 and I never took schooling too seriously because I never thought I'd want to be a doctor and so I switched majors like 100 times, got really terrible grades cause I thought I'd end up at the Olympics and have a great career as an athlete and use that as leverage to get myself into the career I wanted to get into. Stupid, I know. However, once I retired, I took a CNA course and became a CNA/MA at my city's local hospital with the help of some of my family members who are physicians there.

I finished my first undergrad degree (in Economics), after multiple changes of major with a 3.5 in the upper level courses for about 30 credit hours in Economics. I started out as an Exercise Science major and failed some classes twice, and was just a general jackass about school.
After that, I decided to take the summer off and then come back and do a Biology degree emphasizing in Biochemistry and have since held a 3.4-3.7 for over 60 credit hours of classes completely dedicated to the hard sciences and mathematics. I took two 18 hour semesters followed by two 15 credit hour semesters while working 30 hours a week, volunteering, and doing some side-jobs here and there to make paying for school easier.

Overall through my first degree my stats were:
cGPA: 2.4
sGPA: 2.1
BS in Econ. with I think 129 credit hours at the end.

For my second degree after all of my hard work, and now a cumulative total of 203 credit hours:

I'm freakin because the more I do, the less it impacts my GPA and the level of exertion I'm currently at is straight up unsustainable. I've held out and crushed the last 60 hours of coursework but I'm afraid that it won't be enough to get me into a med school anywhere.

Should I do an SMP? Should I just cut my losses and not even bother applying? Should I just move on and find a way to apply my two degrees in helping the world outside of a direct medical profession?

I have worked with some doctors in my area who are really fond of me and who are pretty well connected with the admissions offices at the med schools they went to who said they'd put in a good word for me/possibly get me an interview, but I want to get in based off of me busting my ass and not off of someone basically giving it to me.

Every post I've seen with people asking about the same stats as me have been responded to by people telling them that there's zero chance that they'll get in. I'm planning on applying to DO schools with a soft cutoff as well as MD schools that are on Goro's list and the one's like LSU and Wayne I think that take your last 20 credit hours in lieu of your cGPA and sGPA or something like that.

Any advice helps.

Keep crushing it!

SMP without question.

SMP without question.

I've been looking at the SFSU Academic Enhancer program, as that's where home is for me.

Would that be a good option? It sort of looks like that it's just a certificate program and not actually a SMP, but it looks like you get a comittee letter an everything out of it...

I've been looking at the SFSU Academic Enhancer program, as that's where home is for me.

Would that be a good option? It sort of looks like that it's just a certificate program and not actually a SMP, but it looks like you get a comittee letter an everything out of it...
No...You need a SMP with strong linkage to the medical school that the program is held at. SFSU academic enhancer program isn't going to help you as much as an SMP would.

My suggestion? If I were to do a SMP, I'd probably go to EVMS 1-year SMP.

Look at other programs with linkages as well.

My situation was not completely analogous to yours, but I think you have a couple good options.

However, once I retired, I took a CNA course and became a CNA/MA at my city's local hospital
I started out as an Exercise Science major and failed some classes twice
come back and do a Biology degree emphasizing in Biochemistry and have since held a 3.4-3.7 for over 60 credit hours of classes completely dedicated to the hard sciences and mathematics. I took two 18 hour semesters followed by two 15 credit hour semesters while working 30 hours a week, volunteering, and doing some side-jobs here and there to make paying for school easier.

I can totally relate to all of this! I worked in a different career, did poorly in college, swapped into an allied health field, and then went back and did well while completing my degree and taking introductory sciences (while working).

I finished my undergraduate and then second-degree with introductory sciences with 200 credit hours (! same as you) and a cGPA of around 2.75. Not too far off from you, and I see your MCAT is around the 90th percentile - awesome! I ended up doing a post-bac (similar to SFSU but I was rejected there) with another 40ish hours to complete all of prereq courses and raised my (looking at my AMCAS here) cGPA to just above 3.0. My MCAT was in the high 90s for percentile.

I think you would find great success with the DO schools or schools that look at recent performance - as yours has been stellar. I think as you already did your prereq courses and did well on the MCAT, additional undergraduate courses (as you say) have highly diminished returns. You could be like me and take another 2 years of full-time undergrad sciences at a 4.0 to get your GPA above 3.0, but I am not sure you need it. I cannot comment on SMPs sorry, I didn't consider them.

I found a great MD school and great speciality that would take me, and I think you could do the same. Could always apply to DO and MD schools, as well as a few SMPs if that is what you want.

Best of luck!

I’m so bummed that I just discovered this thread. You guys are amazing, had I found this 2-3 years ago it would have saved me so much heart ache and self doubt! On that note I just want to share with you my story in hopes that someone finds it motivational in some way!

I completely tanked both my freshman and sophomore years with both science and cumulative GPAs in the lower 1s and 2s. The worst was my first semester science GPA which was a whopping 1.14 (crazy I know). I was also going through a dark time and ended up getting counseling and transferring to a school where my family support system was close by. The GPA slowly improved but at this point I was absolutely terrified of hard sciences and had all but given up on the med school dreams. Despite improvement I still graduated with a cumulative of 2.8 and sGPA of 2.4, this was exactly 3.5 years ago! Needless to say I was a little heartbroken upon graduating because I knew all I could see myself doing was medicine but it didn’t seem feasible. My mother really pushed me to keep trying and to my surprise I got into a Masters program. It was extremely difficult to catch up to the rigor of hard sciences but I graduated with a 3.8 both sGPA and cGPA. I did rush my MCAT but ended up getting a 508 which I was pretty content with.

I’m INCREDIBLY happy to share that I got my first and only acceptance yesterday to my state MD program! I’m still on a waitlist to my top choice as well and this has all been much more than I imagined for myself just 3 short years ago! IM BEYOND EXCITED which probably explains me typing all this up so late at night/early in morning lol. If I can do it, I have so much confidence that anyone that really/truly wants to become a physician can and will!!! I wish anyone reading this the very best in their journey!!!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
@LiveLoveLaugh4444 congratulations! That’s the dream! In your interviews did anyone ever comment on your dramatic academic change?

@LiveLoveLaugh4444 congratulations! That’s the dream! In your interviews did anyone ever comment on your dramatic academic change?
Surprisingly no! I was definitely prepared too but it never came up. However, only one school was partially open file while the other was closed.

So excited to share an acceptance today to my top choice, local DO program! It's my only acceptance but all you need is 1!!! Technically, at 2.99 my overall GPA is still under 3.0, so I want to let you guys know that YOU CAN DO THIS. That said, don't do it my way. Talk to goro, follow others' advice on here that know what they're doing, because I applied for two years, wasted thousands of money last year for one interview, no As. This year, wasted slightly less money for one interview, waitlist, then finally an A. And the ONLY reason I got into this school is because they KNEW me. I did my MS there. I got good grades in their MS program, and the whole school knew me. Had I not, on paper I didn't look good at all, I would have never gotten an interview, which is why I only got interviews at this school. I'm just lucky my local DO program happens to be a GREAT DO school.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
So excited to share an acceptance today to my top choice, local DO program! It's my only acceptance but all you need is 1!!! Technically, at 2.99 my overall GPA is still under 3.0, so I want to let you guys know that YOU CAN DO THIS. That said, don't do it my way. Talk to goro, follow others' advice on here that know what they're doing, because I applied for two years, wasted thousands of money last year for one interview, no As. This year, wasted slightly less money for one interview, waitlist, then finally an A. And the ONLY reason I got into this school is because they KNEW me. I did my MS there. I got good grades in their MS program, and the whole school knew me. Had I not, on paper I didn't look good at all, I would have never gotten an interview, which is why I only got interviews at this school. I'm just lucky my local DO program happens to be a GREAT DO school.

congratulations!!! I know this has been a long road for you and I can absolutely relate. Enjoy this accomplishment! I hope it brings you the same feeling of peace and well-being that I had for weeks and weeks after I got accepted.

I’m so bummed that I just discovered this thread. You guys are amazing, had I found this 2-3 years ago it would have saved me so much heart ache and self doubt! On that note I just want to share with you my story in hopes that someone finds it motivational in some way!

I completely tanked both my freshman and sophomore years with both science and cumulative GPAs in the lower 1s and 2s. The worst was my first semester science GPA which was a whopping 1.14 (crazy I know). I was also going through a dark time and ended up getting counseling and transferring to a school where my family support system was close by. The GPA slowly improved but at this point I was absolutely terrified of hard sciences and had all but given up on the med school dreams. Despite improvement I still graduated with a cumulative of 2.8 and sGPA of 2.4, this was exactly 3.5 years ago! Needless to say I was a little heartbroken upon graduating because I knew all I could see myself doing was medicine but it didn’t seem feasible. My mother really pushed me to keep trying and to my surprise I got into a Masters program. It was extremely difficult to catch up to the rigor of hard sciences but I graduated with a 3.8 both sGPA and cGPA. I did rush my MCAT but ended up getting a 508 which I was pretty content with.

I’m INCREDIBLY happy to share that I got my first and only acceptance yesterday to my state MD program! I’m still on a waitlist to my top choice as well and this has all been much more than I imagined for myself just 3 short years ago! IM BEYOND EXCITED which probably explains me typing all this up so late at night/early in morning lol. If I can do it, I have so much confidence that anyone that really/truly wants to become a physician can and will!!! I wish anyone reading this the very best in their journey!!!
What masters program did you end up going to?