Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm def. focused on DO schools and the AACOMAS grade replacement policy

However, after research on SDN and calling admission offices of several MD schools, there are a couple of MD schools that will just look at your most recent 32-60 credit hours for your gpa...

So it's a long shot but still something I might consider when the right time comes

Hmm...please share! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Wait...*heart stops* Does grade replacement not count at a different school or for upper division??

I think I am about to pass out...

:eek::confused:

It has to be same or greater credits and same level to be used as grade replacement

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally just got the official grade in Microbiology reported on my transcript!

I got the A!!!

4 years ago it was an F and today it's an A!

Same credits and 3000 level so that F gets replaced with an A and my sgpa just wet from a 2.1 to 2.297

Getting that first F off feels soo good cause it shows that I am an capable of doing well in challenging classes

First class down of my DIY post-Bach ...I'll take as many as it takes to get accepted..

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you!

It's a short step in the right direction in this long journey of mine!

And Happy Independence Day to everyone!!!

Enjoy the day and relax! We all deserve it!

Not to worry. My grade repair took five years. :D

Finally just got the official grade in Microbiology reported on my transcript!

I got the A!!!

4 years ago it was an F and today it's an A!

Same credits and 3000 level so that F gets replaced with an A and my sgpa just wet from a 2.1 to 2.297

Getting that first F off feels soo good cause it shows that I am an capable of doing well in challenging classes

First class down of my DIY post-Bach ...I'll take as many as it takes to get accepted..

Congrats!! I'm finally over the 3.0 sGPA hump but goodness what a ride; still have a long way to go...

Keep it up!!

^^^ Thanks!

How was everyone's Independence Day? Hope everyone had fun and took the day off to enjoy family and friends!

Well It's back to the grind for me. Just started my last Summer class for this summer semester, Ochem Lab--2 credits. Earned a D last time I took this class. Class is only 4 weeks long then Fall semester will start in mid-August....scary how fast time is flying by...

Anyone else taking summer classes?

Yep. I have 13 credit hours this summer. I thought I would regret taking that much for a summer semester, but it hasn't been bad at all and I feel like I am rested and ready for next semester to begin. :)

Yep. I have 13 credit hours this summer. I thought I would regret taking that much for a summer semester, but it hasn't been bad at all and I feel like I am rested and ready for next semester to begin. :)

Wow, 13?? That is a good amount for summer. The most my schedule would work out was 5 and also cause my school offers a mimicked amount of classes during the summer. Kinda frustrating cause I cold have gotten another class retaken before fall but nothing else was offered.

Also the immunology class I want to retake is only offered in the Spring...

Another underdog checking in ...

27 y/o, ugpa from 6 years ago: 2.7 cum 2.0 science.

Just finished two year post-bac now: 2.93 cum 3.2 science

Studying for the MCAT now :thumbup:

Is getting over the 3.0 hump really all it's cracked up to be or is the 3.0 cut-off a myth?

Members don't see this ad :)
So which MD schools have you found that focus on the last 30-60 credit hours?

I know that Washington has a system where they specifically weight each year GPA differently... it's explained in detail on their website. But they're pretty specific to in-state applicants.

Another underdog checking in ...

27 y/o, ugpa from 6 years ago: 2.7 cum 2.0 science.

Just finished two year post-bac now: 2.93 cum 3.2 science

Studying for the MCAT now :thumbup:

Is getting over the 3.0 hump really all it's cracked up to be or is the 3.0 cut-off a myth?

Hey smiley!! Welcome to the group!

Nice job on the Gpa improvement! How does it feel getting your Gpa up so much??

And according to some faculty members that are on their respective schools admission committees, it's very imperative to get your cgpa and sgpa above a 3.0, especially for the schools that have automatic screenings for those applicants below a 3.0... Your sooo close on your cgpa

So which MD schools have you found that focus on the last 30-60 credit hours?

I know that Washington has a system where they specifically weight each year GPA differently... it's explained in detail on their website. But they're pretty specific to in-state applicants.

So far the schools that I have spoken to and got an official word are from LSU-NO and Tulane looks at your mcat first and is very forgiving... But over 10,000 people applied to Tulane last year...

There are a couple more I want to call and find out

Going over the syllabus of my Ochem lab, I feel way more nervous about getting the A in this class than I did for Microbiology. Don't really know why. It's only 2 credits but there are only two exams, 12 labs, and 5 quizzes. So there isn't much room for error like I had in Microbio.

Also they are a real stickler about the pre-lab and post-lab write up. And you can lose points for wiping your goggles in lab, not labeling waste correctly, using your lab manual during the lab, and not hitting the benchmark.

I dunno, I feel way more nervous about this. Perhaps cause I was genuinely interested and fascinated by Microbiology. Ochem lab is just something I have to take...

Going over the syllabus of my Ochem lab, I feel way more nervous about getting the A in this class than I did for Microbiology. Don't really know why. It's only 2 credits but there are only two exams, 12 labs, and 5 quizzes. So there isn't much room for error like I had in Microbio.

Also they are a real stickler about the pre-lab and post-lab write up. And you can lose points for wiping your goggles in lab, not labeling waste correctly, using your lab manual during the lab, and not hitting the benchmark.

I dunno, I feel way more nervous about this. Perhaps cause I was genuinely interested and fascinated by Microbiology. Ochem lab is just something I have to take...

I enjoyed my Ochem lab quite a bit. Of course, you should be meticulous and at the top of your game, but it doesn't have to be a boring yet fearful nightmare. Possibly my favorite lab section yet.

I enjoyed my Ochem lab quite a bit. Of course, you should be meticulous and at the top of your game, but it doesn't have to be a boring yet fearful nightmare. Possibly my favorite lab section yet.

True.

I need to stop complaining and instead embrace the challenge. I know if I study and work hard I can get the A

Just had a non-trad friend of mine tell me tonight that they don't think medicine is for them.

Sad to see this. I guess people change their minds but my friend cane back to school to take the pre-req's and has gotten A's so far

You serious? Did your professor grade you on yield? I wish I could've gotten more into that lab. It was crammed into 6 weeks for me though. Bad idea for ochem!

You serious? Did your professor grade you on yield? I wish I could've gotten more into that lab. It was crammed into 6 weeks for me though. Bad idea for ochem!

Yes, we were graded on everything so we could lose points for things including broken glassware, spills, low % yield, subpar thoroughness in discussing details of experiment, etc. We did get some lenience on the yield bit if we could reasonably hypothesize why the yield sucked, e.g. possible side reactions. I just had a lot of fun screwing around and actually learning stuff. This is the one area (orgo lab techniques) I didn't need to review at all for my MCAT.

I have a 2.95 cGPA right now with just 2 semesters left to go. If I finish strong my cGPA may raise to about 3.10. I believe the only thing that I have done right is my sGPA 3.7. Everything seems to be riding on my MCAT now.

I just hate my cGPA. 11 year ago I stopped showing up to college and took 5 F's. :bang:

Yes, we were graded on everything so we could lose points for things including broken glassware, spills, low % yield, subpar thoroughness in discussing details of experiment, etc. We did get some lenience on the yield bit if we could reasonably hypothesize why the yield sucked, e.g. possible side reactions. I just had a lot of fun screwing around and actually learning stuff. This is the one area (orgo lab techniques) I didn't need to review at all for my MCAT.

And for that I envy you, LOL. Definitely had to watch some videos on lab techniques. It's great you benefited from orgo lab and learned something that stuck! :thumbup:

I have a 2.95 cGPA right now with just 2 semesters left to go. If I finish strong my cGPA may raise to about 3.10. I believe the only thing that I have done right is my sGPA 3.7. Everything seems to be riding on my MCAT now.

I just hate my cGPA. 11 year ago I stopped showing up to college and took 5 F's. :bang:

Nice job on the sgpa and comeback!

And for that I envy you, LOL. Definitely had to watch some videos on lab techniques. It's great you benefited from orgo lab and learned something that stuck! :thumbup:

I was thinking about this earlier today

If I think this ochem lab is meticulous, then I really should complain or whine because when you have a person's life in your hands you have to be super meticulous that you get everything right as a surgeon...

So gotta quit the whining and get it done right the first time, get the A and be done with it.

I was thinking about this earlier today

If I think this ochem lab is meticulous, then I really should complain or whine because when you have a person's life in your hands you have to be super meticulous that you get everything right as a surgeon...

So gotta quit the whining and get it done right the first time, get the A and be done with it.

That's a good attitude to have. :) Chad from *********** makes great ochem vids for lab techniques. Wish I had watched his while I was taking the class! Good luck.

Bravo Zulu, this is awesome and definitely for me.

I attended a community college for a year and then was accepted to a service academy. Things didn't work out at the academy and so I went back to my CC to get my degree. I fooled around and was just so depressed over what happened to me with the academy as a result I finished my studies at my school with a 2.7 GPA. I averaged a 2.0 in my science and math classes.

I know that I have dug my self into a very deep hole. I plan on transferring to a 4 year university to major in computer science while taking the required science classes for med-school. I am worried about my cc gpa and especially my science cc gpa.
I took 2 semesters of gen chem, one semester of orgo and one semester of trig based physics along with one semester of calcI.

When the time comes for me to apply for med school how do I address the terrible grades I received?

I know that my cc transcript will follow me forever. I know that I have to aim for a 4.0 when I transfer but those grades really look bad and will damage my gpa (although I have herd conflicting reports that my cc gpa doesn't follow me when I transfer).

I am considering rotc so I may not start med school until I finish my obligation. rotc has some very good scholarships that I desperately need. Whats the general consensus on waiting to go to med school? I really want to experience something adventurous with the military plus it will give me so many abilities to see what I am made out of.

Becoming a doctor was always an idea I admired badly but never entertained, partly because of the time one has to put in, I never thought I could do it, It was only after I realized that If I can get into the academy (which is one of the best liberal arts colleges in America) why cant I become a doctor? I am now more determined than I have ever been to make a childhood admiration a dream.

Bravo Zulu, this is awesome and definitely for me.

I attended a community college for a year and then was accepted to a service academy. Things didn't work out at the academy and so I went back to my CC to get my degree. I fooled around and was just so depressed over what happened to me with the academy as a result I finished my studies at my school with a 2.7 GPA. I averaged a 2.0 in my science and math classes.

I know that I have dug my self into a very deep hole. I plan on transferring to a 4 year university to major in computer science while taking the required science classes for med-school. I am worried about my cc gpa and especially my science cc gpa.
I took 2 semesters of gen chem, one semester of orgo and one semester of trig based physics along with one semester of calcI.

When the time comes for me to apply for med school how do I address the terrible grades I received?

I know that my cc transcript will follow me forever. I know that I have to aim for a 4.0 when I transfer but those grades really look bad and will damage my gpa (although I have herd conflicting reports that my cc gpa doesn't follow me when I transfer).

I am considering rotc so I may not start med school until I finish my obligation. rotc has some very good scholarships that I desperately need. Whats the general consensus on waiting to go to med school? I really want to experience something adventurous with the military plus it will give me so many abilities to see what I am made out of.

Becoming a doctor was always an idea I admired badly but never entertained, partly because of the time one has to put in, I never thought I could do it, It was only after I realized that If I can get into the academy (which is one of the best liberal arts colleges in America) why cant I become a doctor? I am now more determined than I have ever been to make a childhood admiration a dream.

thought about Navy medicine myself once its all said and done after residency BUT that is longgg way from considering it. I gotta get in first! lol

Some Army ROTC members at my school explained to me that if you don't get accepted to grad school then as soon as you graduate undergrad you get shipped off to OCS to start your career as a officer....I could be wrong or misunderstood them so you probably should ask the fine men and women of our Armed Services Medical Corp. over in the Military Medicine section about doing ROTC and what happens if you do/don't get into med school your first try.

You don't want to get into a contract that keeps you for several years that you can't get out of to go into medicine. So def. do your research before hand.

Have you started to retake your F, D, and C classes? Your aacomas for DO school gpa will keep going up much quicker than for MD

thought about Navy medicine myself once its all said and done after residency BUT that is longgg way from considering it. I gotta get in first! lol

Some Army ROTC members at my school explained to me that if you don't get accepted to grad school then as soon as you graduate undergrad you get shipped off to OCS to start your career as a officer....I could be wrong or misunderstood them so you probably should ask the fine men and women of our Armed Services Medical Corp. over in the Military Medicine section about doing ROTC and what happens if you do/don't get into med school your first try.

You don't want to get into a contract that keeps you for several years that you can't get out of to go into medicine. So def. do your research before hand.

Have you started to retake your F, D, and C classes? Your aacomas for DO school gpa will keep going up much quicker than for MD

Thank you for the information. I am going to pursue ROTC for my final two years of college.
I started a thread about my situation and received some first-class information. If things go well for me the army may allow me to go to med school and then serve my obligation as a resident. I am so happy that I have a plan that can workout with what I want to do. I have so much work ahead of me. In the end if things do not go my way and I cant go to med school I have no problem trying again when Im done with the army.

I will not be starting school until the winter of 2014 so I will not be taking any classes this summer. I have all of my texts that I never took time to read so I will be hitting the books this summer and fall (I might take one class in the fall before I start in the spring).

I know that the medical schools will look at all of my academic work but will my 4 year college factor in grades I received while @ CC when calculating my gpa?

Correct.

Just make sure the credits are the same or greater and the level is the same/greater

But, one caveat, just so no one else is surprised the way I was:
In my case grade replacement didn't work. I didn't realize quarter-system coursework would be unlikely to be accepted as valid replacement for previous semester-system coursework. Because of this, despite retaking intro bio (full year), gen chem (full year), intro physics (full year), organic chem (full year), biochem (1 term) and genetics (1 term), grade replacement doesn't apply for me.

This is because each class (per term, not per year) has to have the equivalent or greater credits than the original, and in the quarter system the year sequence is split among 3 courses and in the semester system it was typically split among 2 courses. Similar issues can arise if lecture and lab credits are split differently between your original and replacement courses.

In other words,
Bio 101/102 (8 semester = 12 qtr hr) could not be replaced by Bio 251/252/253 (15 qtr hrs) because taken per course, Bio 251 (5 credits) < Bio 101 (6 credits); there needs to be a one-to-one correspondence, apparently.

I did a 87-credit DIY Post-bacc, that was all As except for one A-, resulting in a 3.98 for the post-bacc, and it's a bit disappointing for me to find out only now that the AACOMAS grade replacement policy cannot apply to my case simply because of the discrepancy between semester and quarter systems!

Thanks MajorUnderDog. I am just trying to power my way through this without losing too much steam. Good Luck you all.

I think you're doing great!! I ended up on "short notice" reserve duty many years ago and ended up with a D in speech, tanking my already C-trend GPA.

We're ALL comeback kids!! That's what's going to make us great :thumbup:

This is kind of random but has anyone here ever thought they had ADD? I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to voice my concerns and get tested/diagnosed.

This is kind of random but has anyone here ever thought they had ADD? I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to voice my concerns and get tested/diagnosed.

Haha. Yes! But it's hard not to be these days with all the random technology we have today that distracts us from focusing

I have to shut off the phone while studying. Not just silence or airplane mode

When I was younger I thought this as well. The ability to focus often changes with age. You begin to calm down a bit more and focus better. There is a certain clarity you gain as you get older. The way we focus varies as well. I focus best studying and doing assignments at the coffee shop versus the library; the environment has a calming effect on me even though it can be a little nosier than the library (but not by much). You should voice your concerns with your Doctor but be careful not to begin researching the symptoms online and then reciting them. Living a healthy, organized and physically/socially active lifestyle is the only real way to overcome a lot of issues such as focusing, hyperactivity, anxiety and depression.

There's actually some really cool research explaining that "exercise turns on the attention system, the so-called executive functions &#8212; sequencing, working memory, prioritizing, inhibiting, and sustaining attention".

Last edited:
I appreciate the input guys! But I think my problems are a little more serious than that. For example, during genetics lecture my professor was talking about helicases and enzymes and what not. He was showing us a picture and it was very colorful. Somehow, the figures starting looking like fruit and I was going through in my head what fruit each thing was and then my mind wondered off to my grocery list and what kinds of fruit I needed. I space out during exams as well and it causes me not to finish sometimes.I do exercise everyday or every other day and I still don't feel focused! I've even tried those memory games and brain training games.

When it comes to retaking classes for DO school, is it frowned upon to take one course/semester? Or a summer course? I went to a 4 year university, didn't do so hot in some pre-req classes, and now I finally have a job/the funds to finish retaking classes. I took a few already at a local CC about a year ago and I want to continue to do so. With my work schedule/commute, I'm nervous that taking 1 class is going to look bad. Does anyone have any experience with this?

When it comes to retaking classes for DO school, is it frowned upon to take one course/semester? Or a summer course? I went to a 4 year university, didn't do so hot in some pre-req classes, and now I finally have a job/the funds to finish retaking classes. I took a few already at a local CC about a year ago and I want to continue to do so. With my work schedule/commute, I'm nervous that taking 1 class is going to look bad. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Somebody asked this same question in a different thread in another section like a month ago.

Goro, who is a faculty member and is on his/her respective admissions committee, basically answered the question in that if you are having to work full time then they are more understanding of that by try to take around 6 credits semester

IF you aren't really doing anything work wise and just taking 1 class a year then yeah that might raise eyebrows...

Is there a general underdog thread ( or I can start one) or can I post here? My GPA is over a 3.0, but I only scored 21 on my MCAT....

Is there a general underdog thread ( or I can start one) or can I post here? My GPA is over a 3.0, but I only scored 21 on my MCAT....

There is another underdog thread for those at a 3.0 gpa and above but you are more than welcome to post here!

There is another underdog thread for those at a 3.0 gpa and above but you are more than welcome to post here!

Oh! I did a search and nothing came up. I figure that 20 on the MCAT makes me a neutered dog

When Are you retaking it and how have you been studying?

That's actually my question. Do I retake it this cycle (I've not applied yet, retake wouldn't be til sept 11) or do I wait?

Studying? Obviously not enough. I've mainly done the Practice test on AAMC, EK, Princeton. But maybe I was too overwhelmed with other outside crap

That's actually my question. Do I retake it this cycle (I've not applied yet, retake wouldn't be til sept 11) or do I wait?

Studying? Obviously not enough. I've mainly done the Practice test on AAMC, EK, Princeton. But maybe I was too overwhelmed with other outside crap

Sept. 12th is right around the corner. Month and two weeks really wouldn't be enough. Take it in January then May then next Sept. IF you have too. Don't rush it.

Have you tried BR? Works best for me and their practice exams seem harder than the aamc one's to me

Sept. 12th is right around the corner. Month and two weeks really wouldn't be enough. Take it in January then May then next Sept. IF you have too. Don't rush it.

Have you tried BR? Works best for me and their practice exams seem harder than the aamc one's to me

Ugggg. I know that's what I should do... Working full time +, classes, mom.