Being a mom during med school & residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eun-Sol

Reaction score
Hi! I just want to get a feel of how difficult is the med school and residency. I guess what Im trying to find out is: “is it possible to go through med school and residency with kid?”

I have 5 month old baby right now and will probably apply for next next cycle. Of course Im just talking in the best case scenario - getting into med school on same cycle. If I do, my baby will be around 2-3yrs old. By the time Im done with school, she will be 6-7yrs old. And end of residency, she will be around 10-11yrs old. Again, Im just talking from best case scenario.

Throughout the journey, I want to be able to have some bonding time (at least 1-2 hrs) with my baby and be able spend a day with her during weekend. Will that be possible while Im in medical school and during residency?

I want to pursue obgyn for the residency. I heard residency is vary by speciality. So My top choice is OBGYN.

I want to be able to hear many perspectives. Any input would be extremely helpful.

Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
In ob/gyn 1-2 hrs a day and a day a week with your kid is too generous.

There will definitely be times you won't get anywhere close to either no matter what you do in any specialty just about.

Not saying you can't have a kid and do medicine, I've seen people with kids that little do it. But they had straight up missed days and weeks with them.

You didn't mention if you had a partner to help. It's nigh impossible without a lot of money if you don't have family members at beck and call (precisely, hospital call) to care for the kid.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Luckily, my husband is really supportive and we also have a nanny who take cares of my baby. So even without me, my little one is in good care. Its just my desire to be able to give sometime to my baby. I honestly spending even a bit per day or even get a time to put her in the bed couple times a week would be good.

I just dont wanna disappear from my baby’s life. I guess.. :)

I understand there will be times that I wont be able to do much of family stuff (during exam times) but if I am able to have some time after those time period, I wouldnt be concerned.

Thank you very much for your input!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A piece about having young children in med school: HAVING BABIES IN MEDICAL SCHOOL | The Short Coat

Honestly, it sounds like you have a lot of support. The people who can't afford to spend at least an HOUR with their spouse or kids in medical school are inefficient with their study and school schedules. I knew an extremely successful reproductive endocrinologist who raised her young child through early medical school into residency and fellowship. As long as you can manage your time well, you should be able to spend quality time with your family. Our lives are supposed to be about balance.

Reactions: 3 users
A piece about having young children in med school: HAVING BABIES IN MEDICAL SCHOOL | The Short Coat

Honestly, it sounds like you have a lot of support. The people who can't afford to spend at least an HOUR with their spouse or kids in medical school are inefficient with their study and school schedules. I knew an extremely successful reproductive endocrinologist who raised her young child through early medical school into residency and fellowship. As long as you can manage your time well, you should be able to spend quality time with your family. Our lives are supposed to be about balance.
This is untrue. Overnight in-house call will preclude that hour. Also if you have to do any away clerkships (and that is variable). On surgery my hours were regularly 4 am to 8 pm including my commute (I lived on campus), depending on the age of child and their sleep schedule, your commute, that might be 4-6 weeks you don't have that hour a day. On ob/gyn and surgery we had overnight call as well as med students.

I'm not saying it's the rule for all of med school/residency, but I don't know of a single person who has done either that never had days where they didn't see their young kid. Especially early intern year.

Reactions: 4 users
Luckily, my husband is really supportive and we also have a nanny who take cares of my baby. So even without me, my little one is in good care. Its just my desire to be able to give sometime to my baby. I honestly spending even a bit per day or even get a time to put her in the bed couple times a week would be good.

I just dont wanna disappear from my baby’s life. I guess.. :)

I understand there will be times that I wont be able to do much of family stuff (during exam times) but if I am able to have some time after those time period, I wouldnt be concerned.

Thank you very much for your input!
"“is it possible to go through med school and residency with kid?”" Yes. You will sacrifice time with your child though. Medical school is intense and you may have to delay having additional children until after residency. While some may try to polarize medical school into a choice between having a family and a career, I don't subscribe to that mindset. I think much is possible with great effort.

I would consider reviewing the occupation of Midwife if you have not had the chance to review it yet. It is very similar to what you seem to be seeking with less sacrifice (but also less pay).

Last edited:
I hope to have a newborn and/or will be pregnant during my intern year. I am in my mid/late-30s so waiting is not much of an option, unfortunately. What are some things that I can ask for or look out for while I am interviewing for residency programs? (Specifically Family Medicine programs.) Are there some things that make some programs more family-friendly or better for new moms/parents during internship/residency? How do you go about asking these questions during interview season? Or how do you go about finding out whether a program is family-friendly or not?

Thank you in advance!

TLDR - ask about new parent electives as these are becoming increasingly common in some specialties and will make your life easier. Also, be wary of programs that assure you that "research time" can be used for pregnancy/postpartum. And ask to talk to current residents who are parents of small children.

@MedGrl@2022 I know I'm seeing this late (such is the life of an intern!) but I hope that my experiences in this regard might be helpful to you. Ask about family friendliness (everyone will say they are family friendly of course, so ask for specific examples of how they have supported parents in their residency programs), ask about specific electives (in certain residencies, a "new parent elective" is becoming more common), and ask to be connected to residents who are parents to answer more of your specific questions (where you also don't have to worry about hogging time for a subject that may be less relevant to other applicants, and/ or being judged for your questions).

I tried looking information up online about this, but it's ridiculously hard to find specifics or really be able to do an apples-to-apples comparison of programs. So I just asked on most interviews and figured if I was judged for it that was a sign that the residency was unlikely to be family friendly (but I guess I had the luxury of feeling like a was a pretty solid applicant in a noncompetitive field). I made my top 5 programs list based on other factors (but also thinking that probably I'd like to start my family ASAP). Then I found out a few days before rank lists were due that I was pregnant. I quickly wrote to all of my top 5 programs informing them of my pregnancy and asking what leave I would be able to take.

A few things to keep in mind: Most likely, having a baby intern year you will not be eligible for FMLA/PFML regardless of program. Baring unusual circumstances you won't have worked for a hospital system for 12 months (the requirement for FMLA) and you won't have paid enough taxes (unless you had a very sweet med school gig and stayed in the same state) to qualify for any state paid family or medical leave. So you will be entirely at the mercy of what your program offers, which frankly is often not much for interns (but is still highly variable!).

So here's how things shook out for me. My top ranked program didn't have any examples of interns who had had kids, and no special parenting elective, but were open to the idea of creating something like this. I think I came off as a little pushy to the program director who may have ranked me lower (who knows where I was originally on their list) as so even though I took a gamble leaving them in my top spot I didn't match with them. My original #2 program, which did have a new parent elective and sold themselves as family friendly (had connected me with resident parents, etc.) came back with a surprisingly unaccommodating reply from the chief residents. Something like "Congrats! Yes, we technically have that elective, but there wouldn't be room for it in your schedule as an intern. There's no easy way to group your outpatient time for when you're near the end of pregnancy/ returning from leave. Also, you couldn't take all the leave your technically eligible for in this state without delaying your graduation." I appreciated the honesty but the reply was off-putting enough that I bumped them to my #3 spot. My original #3 program said they had nothing for me, and the max time out I could have was 6 weeks (that would have to be made up except for 3 weeks vacation), which got them moved to my #5 spot. My #4 program didn't get back to me in time, but I remembered they did have a new parenting elective, and multiple parents in their residency, so they got bumped to #2 and that's where I ultimately matched. It was still tough to get an "ideal" pregnancy/ postpartum schedule, but ultimately they let me group 4 weeks vacation, 2 weeks unpaid leave, 4 weeks new parenting elective and 6 weeks of outpatient for around my due date (though I will likely have to make up time that I'm out). The most generous parental leave policy (12 weeks paid, for everyone, not having to be made up) came from my original #5 program, which was a program I genuinely liked, though it is marginally less prestigious than others on the list and paid residents about $15k less per year than most of the other programs (for a similar cost of living), which it seemed would go a good ways towards the cost of daycare. I still sometimes think about what it would have been like had I gone there instead (the program I am in has an INTENSE work culture, and I violated duty hours at 38weeks pregnant, which is just kind of par for the course here). But overall I am quite happy with how things worked out.

Good luck, and if you have more specific questions (or want names of programs) feel free to PM me.

• Wow
I had a baby in Med school- I think 1st and 2nd year yes you will have time. Third year probably, fourth year yes. Residency would depend on speciality but probably not OB/ GYN, since that’s one of the most intense specialities hours wise. I think your hour requirements are pretty reasonable. What would be hard is no ability to take sick days or make it to kid events at school (plays, teacher conferences, etc) your time will not be your own in that sense. But an hour or so a day? Sure, as long as bedtime isn’t too early.

Reactions: 1 user