being a doctor vs. being a mom vs. both?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sporklet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my first thread on these forums so I apologize if there's somewhere else I should be posting this or if I've missed a guideline/rule.
Thanks for reading and letting me share.

edited: thanks for the responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Since you didnt get many responses i figure id offer an opinion.

Disclaimer: I'm male, in my late 20s, about to graduate medical school and go into residency.

1. You've proven you can probably handle medical school, being a PA. Im sure you'd survive and you would go in with a higher base knowledge then most people. The question is..how bad do you want it? Why do you want it? Pay increase? The feeling of, you should be doing more with your life? General desire to be involved with your patients lives? I feel that the reason for medical school plays a big part in how things progress during, and after medical school.

2. You're right. Location-wise, theres no guarantee about anything. Theres no guarantee where you'll be for medical school. Even harder is, theres no guarantee where you'll be for residency. Or audition rotations if you choose to do those. The thing is, your location very well may be in flux. When people apply for residency its very, very hard to choose a state you specifically want to apply to, rather than a region unless your scores are great, have contacts, or you're applying for something very uncompetitive. Where you do residency, often leads to where you practice as well.

3. Biological clock is ticking. I understand, you have the desire to have kids and you're thinking long term and realizing that now is probably the best time to start working on that. I would probably agree with you. Its definitely possible to survive medical school and pregnancy at the same time. Hard? Im sure. But possible? definitely. Ive seen pregnant medical school students who end up doing well. I've seen single dads, single moms, etc, some who even work while in medical school. The thing is, if the guy you're dating isn't ready and not open to the idea, it may (and this is only an opinion) be best to seek someone with similar goals to you. Its very hard to change someones mind on this, you could try giving him time but if you don't honestly feel that hell ever be ready anytime soon then you know the answer. It comes down to choosing between your relationship and desire to have kids. Which do you value most? What do YOU truly desire?

Short version: Life is short, make big moves, go for your dreams, and do whatever it takes to get the most out of it. Sometimes it has tough decisions, but in the end you have to do what you feel is best for you. You may even find someone in/during medical school that shares your goals.

LECOM has a 3 year PA to DO program. Maybe that may be something you're interested in