Be ahead of the curve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why do you think the halving will have such a significant effect?

Econ-101: supply and demand.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a dog in this crypto fight, but where'd you get the $500K figure? Drew a line on the chart and thought number go up?

At $500K that'd put the (eventual) 21 million bitcoins around $10T.

All the gold ever mined in the history of humanity is worth something like $13T.

I'm not saying that can't or won't happen; I'm agnostic on bitcoin prices in the future. But does that really make sense or seem plausible to you?

Some people think NVDA will have 10T market cap in 5 years. So I don't think 10T for BTC in 10 years is too far fetched.

BTC just bounced from 63k to 69k in 3 days!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Again -

Halving won't affect supply. The same number of bitcoin will exist prior to and after this event.
That’s not true. There will only ever be 21 million bitcoin, but all 21 million have not been mined yet - and won’t be until the year 2140.

In the meantime, there are the Bitcoin “in existence” plus there are 900 new Bitcoin per day. Next month, the latter becomes 450. The un-mined bitcoin are not available (yet) for sale and don’t count toward the total supply.

Currently, demand is outpacing supply - both existing and newly mined. Assuming the current demand continues, this would create an additional 450 deficit of bitcoin supply vs. the demand.

I think a better question than, why would the halving affect price, is:

Why would Bitcoin demand decrease after April ~20th? If it doesn’t, then the price WILL go up.

Again -

Halving won't affect supply. The same number of bitcoin will exist prior to and after this event.

I am fairly confident that whatever the price of btc is now in the next 12-18 months will have a 50% increase. The why or why not do not matter. I hope you get similar returns in your portfolio.

Reactions: 1 users
I am fairly confident that whatever the price of btc is now in the next 12-18 months will have a 50% increase. The why or why not do not matter. I hope you get similar returns in your portfolio.

What percentage of your wealth is in BTC? In other words, are you ACTUALLY confident that that’s true.

I am fairly confident that whatever the price of btc is now in the next 12-18 months will have a 50% increase. The why or why not do not matter.
Hope you win big. :)

I hope you get similar returns in your portfolio.
I won't

But that's OK because I don't need 50% returns. I could quit my job tomorrow and be fine - granted, my lifestyle would be constrained much more than I'd like, so I keep working.

I earn a great living, have essentially no expenses beyond food, utilities, insurance, a daughter in grad school, and a $3K mortgage at 2.5%. The rest is hobbies and savings and unnecessary home renovations and a hobby farm and a bit of travel. But the travel I like involves the outdoors, not international first class flights to four star hotels.

This is why I laugh when OP says I'll be left behind and judged harshly by history. I'll be OK without crypto.

What percentage of your wealth is in BTC? In other words, are you ACTUALLY confident that that’s true.
If btc goes to 100k i could go part time then and there. If it goes to 0 i still go part time sub 50.

R u still 0?
Yes. If I was convinced it was going to double I would have a lot though. I’m not convinced it won’t go up, I just don’t think there’s any way to determine fair market value (other than zero).

I think the bitcoin halving means the price will be divided by 2 so be careful guys
That's almost as silly as the notion a few posts back that halving the daily input from 900 to 450 will significantly impact supply when 19.5 million are out there already, and the future total supply is constrained, 100% known in quantity, and 100% known when it'll come into being.

But sure, I suspect you're right and the event will drive prices up, because price movement in crypto is all about psychology, and this is an "event" that people will talk about.

Obviously I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I'd bet most people buying bitcoin ETF shares don't have the first clue what halving means.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's almost as silly as the notion a few posts back that halving the daily input from 900 to 450 will significantly impact supply when 19.5 million are out there already, and the future total supply is constrained, 100% known in quantity, and 100% known when it'll come into being.

But sure, I suspect you're right and the event will drive prices up, because price movement in crypto is all about psychology, and this is an "event" that people will talk about.

Obviously I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I'd bet most people buying bitcoin ETF shares don't have the first clue what halving means.

1711386798411.jpeg

Obviously you were making a joke, that's why the first words in my post were "that's almost as silly as" the non-joke serious post made in post 2454.

I was acknowledging your joke and using it as a springboard to mock him.

My god.

You know what, I'll wade out of the smug here and leave you guys to it.

Obviously you were making a joke, that's why the first words in my post were "that's almost as silly as" the non-joke serious post made in post 2454.

I was acknowledging your joke and using it as a springboard to mock him.

My god.

You know what, I'll wade out of the smug here and leave you guys to it.

Did you even watch the YouTube video I posted. Or do you prefer to not educate yourself on the topic but instead come on here and argue

No.

I read and listen what you all have to say. You're just not very good at supporting the points you think you're making.

Yes. Arguing is what the internet is for.

Don't whine. Convince me.

Bro lol idk what to say to you if you refuse to watch the video. I’m not gonna type out 3 hours worth of education on the history of money and why bitcoin is so important. If you refuse to atleast putting your own effort in and watching the video I’m not gonna argue with you.

I have about 5% of my NW in crypto. But I'm asset poor right now so the majority of my liquid cash is in crypto.

I wish I bought FBTC, COIN, or MSTR back in Jan.

Did you even watch the YouTube video I posted. Or do you prefer to not educate yourself on the topic but instead come on here and argue

They are not going to invest in the space and likely for them it makes no difference as i am guessing they have NW of 3-4m and likely 10-15 years as high earning gas docs so no matter what the arguments are they are doing fine just how they have done things. Will it bring them joy to watch the space crash... maybe... will they disappear when the price breaks into the 6 figures we shall see as it is destined to happen by next year.

When the price was at 10k at the genesis of this thread these guys were unconvinced, 7x returns later nothing has changed. With fink and almost all big money coming, not being banned in the states, etf approvals I have no words. When the price goes to 100k,200k, 300k non believers will stay the course. Fun times ahead.

Last edited:
Again -

So just to confirm, since you keep moving the goalpost... does halving affect supply or no? Or does it affect supply, but not significantly?

And you are admitting that the halving will indeed drive the price up?

Yeah most of those ETF buyers probably don't understand it... but neither do you - yet here you are attempting to "debate" it :rolleyes:

So just to confirm, since you keep moving the goalpost... does halving affect supply or no? Or does it affect supply, but not significantly?

And you are admitting that the halving will indeed drive the price up?

Yeah most of those ETF buyers probably don't understand it... but neither do you - yet here you are attempting to "debate" it :rolleyes:
Halving does not appreciably affect supply, but because it's an event, more FOMO money will probably pour in.

That's about as simple as I can put it.

My argument is that you're wrong in attributing halving-associated price movement to supply when the only thing that may change is demand.

Bro lol idk what to say to you if you refuse to watch the video. I’m not gonna type out 3 hours worth of education on the history of money and why bitcoin is so important. If you refuse to atleast putting your own effort in and watching the video I’m not gonna argue with you.
Heh

The notion that a decade+ into this bitcoin and crypto thing that I'm "un-educated" about it or history or monetary policy in general is kind of funny.

I'm not going to watch some 3 hour YouTube video. I'm interested in talking to you. If you don't want to make any arguments yourself, I guess there's nothing to talk about. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Yes. If I was convinced it was going to double I would have a lot though. I’m not convinced it won’t go up, I just don’t think there’s any way to determine fair market value (other than zero).

Just had a test drive on the newest fsd 12.3 at tesla. holy crap this is a quantum leap compared to all the other fsd's. That stock is about to have it's nvidia moment in 12 months ahead. called it here.

Last edited:
Just had a test drive on the newest fsd 12.3 at tesla. holy crap this is a quantum leap compared to all the other fsd's. That stock is about to have it's nvidia moment in 12 months ahead. called it here.
Honestly, if I wasn’t so invested in crypto, I’d load up on Tesla stock. I think it’s a great bargain right now.

Halving does not appreciably affect supply, but because it's an event, more FOMO money will probably pour in.

That's about as simple as I can put it.

My argument is that you're wrong in attributing halving-associated price movement to supply when the only thing that may change is demand.
I can’t wait to lord over you when I become crypto royalty!!

Honestly, if I wasn’t so invested in crypto, I’d load up on Tesla stock. I think it’s a great bargain right now.

I am shocked with this new version. It puts everything else to shame. Apparently, its improving at an alarming rate. That robotax is looking promising. the stock will double in the next 12-18 months. Would it be asking too much for both btc and tesla to double from current values in 12-18 mo..

I am shocked with this new version. It puts everything else to shame. Apparently, its improving at an alarming rate. That robotax is looking promising. the stock will double in the next 12-18 months. Would it be asking too much for both btc and tesla to double from current values in 12-18 mo..

Even if it doubles from here, it still won't hit all time high from 2021. Crazy how overvalued it was back then.

It already had its NVDA moment from 2019-2021. IDK I've never been a fan of the company 🤷

It already had its NVDA moment from 2019-2021. IDK I've never been a fan of the company 🤷
Not to derail the bitcoin thread, but EV sales aren’t growing as fast as most had anticipated… but that won’t last. Imagine 10-ish years from now when the charging network is built out and (more) governments have mandated the phase out of ICE vehicles. It probably won’t match its 2019-2021 pump, but I could definitely see TSLA blasting off again at some point between now and then.

Anyone who has questions about bitcoin should first watch this video

I watched it. Have you watched “line goes up?”

He specifically addresses this idea of digital asset ownership being the key for the downtrodden masses to have a “digital property”.

Basically this is yet another fantasy of Bitcoin shills, of whom Saylor is the king. You may as well interview Elon musk about why Tesla is the future of the entire world and take him completely at face value.

I’ll tell you what africans in war torn countries don’t need: a password protected form of digital ownership that does nothing to extract them from their terrible countries. A better asset for them would be a train ticket to a better place, which can’t be bought with bitcoin.

I guess I don’t understand why Bitcoin stands as a better store of value than land or stocks or hard fiat currency reserves in the form of treasuries from nation states that are backed by nukes. He doesn’t give any explanation that I can find for why it’s preferable in his four hour vomit of buzzwords.

The best he can muster is “give me a billion dollars and tell me how to preserve it for 100 years. Only bitcoin can do that.”

Of course, the real need, or benefit to society, of such a store of value is never outlined. Capital preservation systems are inherently terrible mechanisms for an economy to function on. Anything that encourages hoarding through deflation is, and ultimately fails to add value to an economy.

You guys can have good luck in storing your Bitcoin password all in your head. Until that is, someone discovers that you have it and kidnaps you, tortures you for the password, and you’re out your bitcoin store. Good luck going to your insurance company to get it back.

You guys can have good luck in storing your Bitcoin password all in your head. Until that is, someone discovers that you have it and kidnaps you, tortures you for the password, and you’re out your bitcoin store. Good luck going to your insurance company to get it back.

Uh, that escalated quickly. If getting kidnapped and tortured is a concern, sounds like it's safer to buy the ETF?

• Haha
I can’t wait to lord over you when I become crypto royalty!!
Heh, half the time when I read this thread I get the feeling you guys are equally interested in having people recognize your brilliance as you are in actually making money. :)

In all seriousness, I hope you all hit it big. Don't mistake my skepticism and love of arguing for wanting to see it fail.

Puff Daddy fled the country. I wonder if he'll have to use BTC while he's hiding?

Is now a good time to yield farm? Would ETH/ARB be a good pair?

Is now a good time to yield farm? Would ETH/ARB be a good pair?
I assume this involves staking? Where would you do that?

Last bull market, weren’t a bunch of people chasing yield on voyager, Celsius, FTX, blockfi… what happened to those people? I can’t seem to remember? 🤔

Last bull market, weren’t a bunch of people chasing yield on voyager, Celsius, FTX, blockfi… what happened to those people? I can’t seem to remember? 🤔
They got off the train such as myself.

Aren't your coins on Robinhood? LoL.

I was looking at defi yield farming on Uniswap.

Aren't your coins on Robinhood? LoL.

I was looking at defi yield farming on Uniswap.

Yes and believe it or not, that was actually a strategic decision, both from a cost and risk standpoint.

So how much yield is Uniswap offering right now? And how much are you thinking about putting in?

Yes and believe it or not, that was actually a strategic decision, both from a cost and risk standpoint.

So how much yield is Uniswap offering right now? And how much are you thinking about putting in?

I was going to try with one ETH and see how it goes. If it does well then maybe I'll throw it all in?

I was going to try with one ETH and see how it goes. If it does well then maybe I'll throw it all in?
never go all in into a single pool or even single defi platform. Were you around during defi summer 2020?

Doge flipped ADA

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Not to derail the bitcoin thread, but EV sales aren’t growing as fast as most had anticipated… but that won’t last. Imagine 10-ish years from now when the charging network is built out and (more) governments have mandated the phase out of ICE vehicles. It probably won’t match its 2019-2021 pump, but I could definitely see TSLA blasting off again at some point between now and then.
If fast charging stations were on every corner like gas stations, and you wouldn't need to plan a long route to avoid being stranded in the middle of the desert and searching for a tow truck, then yes, there would be more EVs

If fast charging stations were on every corner like gas stations, and you wouldn't need to plan a long route to avoid being stranded in the middle of the desert and searching for a tow truck, then yes, there would be more EVs

Hertz dumped most of their EVs because they cost too much to repair. I wonder if the huge increase in car insurance costs has to do with EVs. Even minor fender benders are considered total losses.

Hertz dumped most of their EVs because they cost too much to repair. I wonder if the huge increase in car insurance costs has to do with EVs. Even minor fender benders are considered total losses.

Yes I just talked to a guy who had a minor fender bender in an ix. After months of waiting, no parts available and they ended up just writing a check for a new car.