Bcps 2010?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone? I know it's a long ways off but I have too much to do this summer (get married for one thing) to take it in 2009.

Do we use the PSAP VI or are the VII books coming out? Or does that only matter in terms of getting the CE credits?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone here on passing! I'm thinking about studying for the test in 2011. I was wondering if you could share your experience like how you studied and what materials did you use?

Had to get my score emailed, too.

Just used the official book & CD-rom. However, first year residency helped A LOT in terms of practice experience, interpreting studies & stats, and familiarity w/ guidelines.

Planning on taking it next year. Do you guys think I can just study off of this year's prep course?

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed as well...woohoo! I studied the BPS review chapters. Fortunately someone else had them electronically so I didn't have to purchase them. I did study the BPS review from 2008 although it didn't seem to really matter as much. I started studying about 4 weeks prior and reviewed the chapters that I was not as comfortable with and breezed through the other chapters. My PGY-2 residency director used to grill me with statistics questions to help me prepare so that definately helped. Good luck to all who plan on pursuing board certification in the future.

I'm not even sure how to tell someone to study for it because I didn't feel like much of the exam came from the materials. Two of my co-workers were considering it for 2011 but I don't even know how to tell them to study :confused:

Learn a lot about IRB process, I can tell you that!

I went to the ACCP course, had the 2009 and 2010 books and the 2010 CD-ROM. I would definitely get the CD-ROM if you don't go to the prep course. I started studying randomly in about February or March, then had a huge medical setback and contemplated not taking it at all, took a month or two off of studying and started back up hardcore in August and September.

As far as using old materials - I think it's fine just make sure you know of any major updates in guidelines since those were written.

I'm not even sure how to tell someone to study for it because I didn't feel like much of the exam came from the materials. Two of my co-workers were considering it for 2011 but I don't even know how to tell them to study :confused:

Learn a lot about IRB process, I can tell you that!

I went to the ACCP course, had the 2009 and 2010 books and the 2010 CD-ROM. I would definitely get the CD-ROM if you don't go to the prep course. I started studying randomly in about February or March, then had a huge medical setback and contemplated not taking it at all, took a month or two off of studying and started back up hardcore in August and September.

As far as using old materials - I think it's fine just make sure you know of any major updates in guidelines since those were written.

Most of what I knew for the exam came from 2 years as a resident...I really admire people who do so well without that type of experience. I know that I would not have passed it without all of the experience I gained in the last 2 years.

I only have 1 year of residency experience but I didn't feel like it helped much either. I have already brain dumped the exam, I can hardly remember what was on it 2 months later. Sad.

I took statistics years ago. I've never learned biostatistics in pharmacy school. Help!:confused:

Oh, OK. Thanks a bunch! :rolleyes:
WTF else do you want to know? Should I tell you to audit a biostats course at your local college? Would that make you feel better?

There is a chapter (2, actually) devoted to stats and research design in the ACCP study materials. Know them well. I took stats in college 14 years ago and I passed the BCPS by studying the prep course materials.

Maybe someone else can can tell you more; I'm done helping you.

WTF else do you want to know? Should I tell you to audit a biostats course at your local college? Would that make you feel better?

There is a chapter (2, actually) devoted to stats and research design in the ACCP study materials. Know them well. I took stats in college 14 years ago and I passed the BCPS by studying the prep course materials.

Maybe someone else can can tell you more; I'm done helping you.

Space -- I think Kuvan wants to know about the secret book we used to study and pass.

Hmmm, maybe Kuvan meant to pick a smiley face? I agree with spacecowgirl, the Stats chapter from ACCP is the way to go. I would say understanding study design and what test to use when would be your best bet. Chapter 2 has a great chart that you may want to memorize. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sorry Spacecowgirl! I meant to pick a smiley face. Thank you for your help. I have the prep course and I'll definitely study those 2 chapters. You guys are awesome!

Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :) Once again, I apologize for picking the wrong icon. :(

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Spacecowgirl! I meant to pick a smiley face. Thank you for your help. I have the prep course and I'll definitely study those 2 chapters. You guys are awesome!

Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :) Once again, I apologize for picking the wrong icon. :(
Forgiven. :)

Thank you! Phew!

I feel like a ****** now. My husband told me that the icon that I picked wasn't even a smiley face! And I thought I picked a cuter icon. :laugh:

I know this seems a way to come yet, but...for those just passing the BCPS exams, are you planning on keeping up with the CE requirements with PSAP or are you just going to retake the exam in 7 years? I'm planning to do the PSAP. In fact just got part of the Peds one done. Good review but I can see that it will be very intensive (a lot of reading & $$$). Just want to see what others are doing. Thanks, a have a great day :)

I know this seems a way to come yet, but...for those just passing the BCPS exams, are you planning on keeping up with the CE requirements with PSAP or are you just going to retake the exam in 7 years? I'm planning to do the PSAP. In fact just got part of the Peds one done. Good review but I can see that it will be very intensive (a lot of reading & $$$). Just want to see what others are doing. Thanks, a have a great day :)

No way am I ever taking that exam again:eek: I'm planning to start with PSAP VIII and will likely need some of IX. That seems to me to be the best way to avoid paying for multiple different editions. I'm open to other suggestions though; figuring out the best way to do the PSAPs seems to be part of the exam process :laugh:

No way am I ever taking that exam again:eek: I'm planning to start with PSAP VIII and will likely need some of IX. That seems to me to be the best way to avoid paying for multiple different editions. I'm open to other suggestions though; figuring out the best way to do the PSAPs seems to be part of the exam process :laugh:

I'm with you on taking the exam (NO WAY!). I'm planning to do the PSAP throughout the 7 years by picking the books/topics of my intestest. I guess as long as I get 60 hours in the first 4 years and the rest in the last 3 years...It's interesting to find out that the process to earn credits from PSAP is similar to taking the exam, i.e. they analyze everyone's results (apparently) before deciding the passing scores. I submitted the tests 01/18 and won't know if I passed until March :cool:

I'm with you on taking the exam (NO WAY!). I'm planning to do the PSAP throughout the 7 years by picking the books/topics of my intestest. I guess as long as I get 60 hours in the first 4 years and the rest in the last 3 years...It's interesting to find out that the process to earn credits from PSAP is similar to taking the exam, i.e. they analyze everyone's results (apparently) before deciding the passing scores. I submitted the tests 01/18 and won't know if I passed until March :cool:

Have you compared prices on the PSAP individual books vs the whole 11-volume set? It's like double. Just FYI.

Have you compared prices on the PSAP individual books vs the whole 11-volume set? It's like double. Just FYI.

Thanks for pointing out. I hate to admit but I didn't look at it that way. Will have to rethink my strategy...However, since each book offers ~ 15-20 CEs, I might not need more than 8 books. It'll still cost more but not as much. And the cost spreads out instead of all in one year.

anyone selling 2010 prep materials I would be more than happy to buy them please let me know accp website is out of the bound book

I plan on the PSAP's for recertification. I want to spread it out over the 7 years instead of waiting until the last 3 years. I think I might do what BusyB01 said and get individual books that interest me instead of buying entire sets. I DO NOT want to ever retake that exam. :eek:

I'm new. I read this whole sequence of events today. Very interesting. Congratulations to all ( especially spacecowgirl ) that passed exam in 2010. Your posts made me a little (more) unsure of myself. I'm an old guy. Graduated before some of you were born. Just an RPh, not many PharmDs back then. I was in retail for 30 something years, so I'm not the most clinical guy. I have worked in private oncology practices for the past 3 years preparing chemo tx etc. I'd like to be certified, Just for myself really.
I plan on going to San Antonio in April for the live review and am ordering the home stuff as well. I know I will learn a great deal so I'm not really wasting my time.
Anyone have any suggestions or comments (he's crazy) or may some old review material they would like to sell?
Congratulations again to all that passed. I commend your zeal.

I'm new. I read this whole sequence of events today. Very interesting. Congratulations to all ( especially spacecowgirl ) that passed exam in 2010. Your posts made me a little (more) unsure of myself. I'm an old guy. Graduated before some of you were born. Just an RPh, not many PharmDs back then. I was in retail for 30 something years, so I'm not the most clinical guy. I have worked in private oncology practices for the past 3 years preparing chemo tx etc. I'd like to be certified, Just for myself really.
I plan on going to San Antonio in April for the live review and am ordering the home stuff as well. I know I will learn a great deal so I'm not really wasting my time.
Anyone have any suggestions or comments (he's crazy) or may some old review material they would like to sell?
Offshaw, if anyone thinks you're crazy to embark on this journey to enhance and enrich your knowledge, that person is crazy themself! I admire your courage. You might not have the most up-to-date clinical knowlege but your "30 something years" of experience is something most of us don't have. You'll be surprise how quickly you'll catch on and synthesize all the new guidelines and treatment modalities. Sorry I don't sell out old materials (keeping them for my colleagues), but best of luck to you :thumbup:

I need some advice on BCPS exam.
Do u think by studying just the book of pharmcotherapy preparatory course 2010, is it good enough to pass the exam?
do i need to buy the 2011 one as well?

also, I would like to know the course materials that offered during the meeting, are they the same as the preparatory book?
what good about the CD-ROM and MP3? are they the same materials as listed on the prep course book, or more detailed explanations?

does anyone know of the book of "clinical pharmacist's guide to biostatistics and literature evaluation" 2011, will this help?

I heard of some people that didn't pass last year by missing 1 or 2 points, only study the book... do u think by taking the ACCP course in April, would it be better?

thanks!

Last edited:
I need some advice on BCPS exam.
Do u think by studying just the book of pharmcotherapy preparatory course 2010, is it good enough to pass the exam?
do i need to buy the 2011 one as well?

also, I would like to know the course materials that offered during the meeting, are they the same as the preparatory book?
what good about the CD-ROM and MP3? are they the same materials as listed on the prep course book, or more detailed explanations?

does anyone know of the book of "clinical pharmacist's guide to biostatistics and literature evaluation" 2011, will this help?

I heard of some people that didn't pass last year by missing 1 or 2 points, only study the book... do u think by taking the ACCP course in April, would it be better?

thanks!

I passed 2 yrs ago and only used the book.

Thanks :) Go for it. I really found the the prep course to be helpful but it probably depends a lot on your learning style. It was intense sitting there for 5 days but worth it. I think it's great that you want to do this.

Offshaw, if anyone thinks you're crazy to embark on this journey to enhance and enrich your knowledge, that person is crazy themself! I admire your courage.

Agreed :thumbup:

just use the book. from my perspective you'll have enough questions that is based from the review book to pass.

anything else is additional knowledge

just use the book. from my perspective you'll have enough questions that is based from the review book to pass.

anything else is additional knowledge

thanks for your reply!

I got the book of pharmacotheray preparatory course book 2010, but I heard the CD-ROM is very useful, is it same as the live meeting in April? Dose anyone has the CD-ROM 2010 wanna to sell?

or else I really wonder it says the CD-ROM contains audio/slide synchronized presentations, is the audio based on the materials of presentations or the pharmacotheray preparatory course book? and what about the mp3 files of audio? based on the presentations on live meeting?

I asked it for so details, because I wanna see in case I can't get the CD-ROM 2010, but I already had the course book 2010, I wonder if I may only buy the CD-ROM 2011, and use it with the course book 2010?

Thanks :) Go for it. I really found the the prep course to be helpful but it probably depends a lot on your learning style. It was intense sitting there for 5 days but worth it. I think it's great that you want to do this.

Agreed :thumbup:

Thanks for the encouragement, will let you know how it goes.

Accp allows recertification credit for completing prep courses. My friend told me about it yesterday. :)

One of my preceptors works for a drug company, so he knows biostats like the back of his hand. He retook the exam just to see and was disappointed that it was too easy :eek:. He told me it had a lot of statistic questions, and not too many clinical and his job is basically reading data and interpreting them.

I am thinking of taking it for 2012. I know it's a bit early, but it'll give me time to bug him and ask for help.

How long should I prep for it?

Took a bit to locate the score report...this is for the BCPS test and not the BCOP, etc..

Letter was dated Dec 1st, 2009

Passing point was 124/200, but it changes from year to year depending the test, so take that with a grain of salt. It could be higher or lower for this year. Average score was 134 with a SD of 22. Scores ranged from 45-184. I walked out of there thinking I failed and scored well above the passing point and average.

For the different test "domains"
Domain 1 (clinical knowledge): Max score 110, average 74, SD 17, range 24-107
Domain 2 (stats/clinical trails): Max 60, average 40, SD 9, range 11-58
Domain 3 (regulatory stuff I think): Max 30, average 21, SD 4, range 4-29

They send a letter with the results saying how they determine the passing point. Opening the letter was uneventful because you will know if you pass as soon as you see the envelop because it says BCPS after your name on the front of it!

I took it this year in 2012. and i thought it was pretty tough. and i was told this year, Record number of people took the test. Is that good or bad ? Does this lower the pass score ? I would assume so but not sure.
and I am not sure what happened in 2011. Record number of people passed from what i was told. What was the pass score from last year ? Virtually everyone that i know passed the test, even people i thougth had NO chance of passing passed. LOL. That is what kind of prompted so many people to take it this year, from what i was told.