Bcps 2010?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone? I know it's a long ways off but I have too much to do this summer (get married for one thing) to take it in 2009.

Do we use the PSAP VI or are the VII books coming out? Or does that only matter in terms of getting the CE credits?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was horrible. But I agree, studying for it has made me a better pharmacist regardless. I didn't feel that the questions really evaluated much of what I studied; I think what I studied was much more relevant to practice than what was on the test.

Good luck to all. Personally, I'm putting my books away and this out of my mind until the results come out.

Thanks for the good wishes, folks. Right now I'm just glad it's over and I can stop studying for awhile. :D I probably didn't pass, but that's OK; some of the best pharmacists I know failed BCPS on the first try.

I know I've read it on a post before but I can't find the exact post... does anyone have any idea what kind of raw score is usually "passing" for BCPS?

iam preparing for BCPS exam in 2010

idont have good practice experience
but iam tring do my best in studying accp book
i was looking for more info about it
i found that topics in content outline are different from ACCP​
I just took the exam, yesterday as a matter of fact--difficult--lots of stats and clinical trials. I've been studying with others since March--reviewed all of the materials, went to conference, and studied until exam. Felt good with all I went over and learned. All of us felt the same---it could go either way, we know we got questions right--just hope it was enough:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that the results could go either way for me too. But overall I thought the test seemed fair and less difficult than the study questions in the ACCP Prep Course. There was a disproportionate number of stats questions IMO. If you know stats well that alone could probably pass you. It could have been much harder with more detailed therapeutic questions. I feel pretty good about it, but we will see...

I also took the exam last weekend. Do any of you think that several of the questions had more than one correct answer? :confused: And it felt like there were more stats questions than the 25% that were supposed to be on it.

Definitely lots of stats questions and others with 2 "right' answers IMO. And ones where I didn't like any of the 4 choices. I guess that's what they mean by 'choose the best answer'.

Does anyone know the average # of questions correct out of the 200 is considered passing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Took a bit to locate the score report...this is for the BCPS test and not the BCOP, etc..

Letter was dated Dec 1st, 2009

Passing point was 124/200, but it changes from year to year depending the test, so take that with a grain of salt. It could be higher or lower for this year. Average score was 134 with a SD of 22. Scores ranged from 45-184. I walked out of there thinking I failed and scored well above the passing point and average.

For the different test "domains"
Domain 1 (clinical knowledge): Max score 110, average 74, SD 17, range 24-107
Domain 2 (stats/clinical trails): Max 60, average 40, SD 9, range 11-58
Domain 3 (regulatory stuff I think): Max 30, average 21, SD 4, range 4-29

They send a letter with the results saying how they determine the passing point. Opening the letter was uneventful because you will know if you pass as soon as you see the envelop because it says BCPS after your name on the front of it!

Last edited:
Took a bit to locate the score report...this is for the BCPS test and not the BCOP, etc..

Letter was dated Dec 1st, 2009

Passing point was 124/200, but it changes from year to year depending the test, so take that with a grain of salt. It could be higher or lower for this year. Average score was 134 with a SD of 22. Scores ranged from 45-184. I walked out of there thinking I failed and scored well above the passing point and average.

For the different test "domains"
Domain 1 (clinical knowledge): Max score 110, average 74, SD 17, range 24-107
Domain 2 (stats/clinical trails): Max 60, average 40, SD 9, range 11-58
Domain 3 (regulatory stuff I think): Max 30, average 21, SD 4, range 4-29

They send a letter with the results saying how they determine the passing point. Opening the letter was uneventful because you will know if you pass as soon as you see the envelop because it says BCPS after your name on the front of it!
Thanks for this info. Man, 124 sounds like a lot to pass :laugh: :( :cry:

That's funny that "BCPS" is right aftwe your name. Here's hoping it's after mine in a few weeks :xf:

Same here. I'm planning on taking it next Oct. Anyway, we didn't even learn some of the topics in school. I got my BS, so I probably won't pass. However, it doesn't hurt to learn new things, especially the new guidelines, right? :)

Last edited:
iam preparing for BCPS exam in 2010

idont have good practice experience
but iam tring do my best in studying accp book
i was looking for more info about it
i found that topics in content outline are different from ACCP​

Same here. I'm planning on taking it next Oct. Anyway, we didn't even learn some of the topics in school. I got my BS, so I probably won't pass. However, it doesn't hurt to learn new things, especially the new guidelines, right? :)

I just saw (on the BPS website) that the results for the pharmacotherapy exam will be mailed this Wednesday, 11/24 :scared:. The other specialties were mailed on the 19th.

Last edited:
I just saw (on the BPS website) that the results for the pharmacotherapy exam will be mailed this Wednesday, 11/24 :scared:. The other specialties were mailed on the 19th.

I know some BCOP's that have gotten their results. Good luck!

EEEP! So we could find out Friday or Saturday! We're having a holiday party on Saturday now I can drown my sorrows or celebrate my victory. Pleasepleaseplease let it be the latter.

EEEP! So we could find out Friday or Saturday! We're having a holiday party on Saturday now I can drown my sorrows or celebrate my victory. Pleasepleaseplease let it be the latter.

I'm with you 100% on the latter!! I am sooooooo nervous :xf:. Good luck to everyone.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I got licensed in August 2009, didn't do a residency but I am a hybrid clinical/staff pharmacist in a teaching hospital. I want to take the BCPS and I know I need a minimum 3 years of clinical experience to be eligible, which means I'll meet that requirement in August 2012.

I want to start studying for it now and take my time. Considering the fact that I have almost 2 years to study for it, should i get the PSPA volumes or just the prep books from ACCP?

Anyone get " the letter " yet? I'm anxiously awaiting to see what the passing score was.

Anyone get " the letter " yet? I'm anxiously awaiting to see what the passing score was.

Just got it back... PASSED!!! Good luck Space, CC, Dalteparin and everyone else who took it -- hope everyone on here passed!

BTW Passing was 133

Last edited:
Just got it back... PASSED!!! Good luck Space, CC, Dalteparin and everyone else who took it -- hope everyone on here passed!

BTW Passing was 133

Congrats, StevePerry PharmD, BCPS!!! I'm visited the ILs last night and wondering if there's a letter waiting for me back home. I'm so nervous about it though.

Last edited:
Hooray, I passed!!

Congratulations, StevePerry! Spacecowgirl, I'm sure you did fine!

Passing score was 133, scores ranged from 54-192. (I want to find the person who got the 192 and ask them how they did it!)

Hooray, I passed!!

Passing score was 133, scores ranged from 54-192. (I want to find the person who got the 192 and ask them how they did it!)

Congrats! God, I'm going to be the only one who didn't pass in here :lol:

I just found out I passed!

Congratulations to all who have passed, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone that is still waiting! :xf:

I just found out that I passed!!! Now I can sleep at night!

Congratulations to everyone else and good luck to those still waiting.

Hooray, I passed!!

Congratulations for all
still waiting........
but I want to find the person who got the 54 I think it was me....

Breakdown
Domain Max Ave SD Range
1 110 71 13 28-103
2 60 41 8 11-59
3 30 21 4 6-30
Total 200 133 23 54-192

I made it too! Wow...this sure is a nice early Christmas present! Thanks, everyone for replying in the forum. Nice to know I'm not alone during the long process. Happy holidays!

I got certified 11 years ago: three years of practice, no residency, passed on the first try. I thought the exam was appropriately challenging, neither easy nor too difficult. The best advice I got was to study my patients and the issues involved in their therapy, and the regulatory environment of my institution, and then brush up on statistics and study design. It was exactly the right way to prepare, IMHO.

I recertified by exam two years ago, having completely changed professions in the interim and become hopelessly off track with the PSAP modules, but the exam seemed much easier, and not just because of the shorter length. I think over time you gain a more thorough understanding of the concepts, and a better ability to apply them on the fly.

At least, thats the only explanation that makes sense to me.

Karm12, do you remember how long it took to get your certificate and lapel pin? Also, how long do they wait to add the names to the "certified" list on the BPS site?

Karm12, do you remember how long it took to get your certificate and lapel pin? Also, how long do they wait to add the names to the "certified" list on the BPS site?

I think the letter says 60 days and the certification starts 12/31/2010 so I would imagine after that. I'm already putting BCPS after my name though :p

Congrats all! I am still waiting… cruel. Anyone else on here still in suspense?

I was still waiting (until today)! I was so jealous of all those that posted last week saying that they passed. Apparently, a large portion of score results got lost in the mail and they made the executive decision to email results today to those who had not yet received them. Hallelujah! You should contact BPS to have your score emailed to you if you haven't already done so. Add me to the newly certified BCPS crowd. Woo-hoo!

Congrats! That sucks about them getting lost in the mail, I was about to die in anticipation (/hyperbole) and I got my results right away!

I had it emailed also... the suspense is over and I can join the club!