BBC Article on state of banking - still want to switch to I-Banking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twitch

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Bummer, Ibanking is gonna be down for a while as the economy is in the crapper. Bigger problem for those of us who want to do MD/MBA for some reason other than bailing out of medicine, as now the applicant pool is gonna increase significantly. Traditionally when the economy sucks, everyone tries to go back to school.

I'd be willing to bet that the field will take off again at some point in the future, though I don't know how banking has weathered recessions in the past.
From 1987 via google -> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE4DB1E3DF937A35752C1A961948260
Anyone with some industry experience to weigh in with?

Last edited:
I would actually expect a rise in medical school and healthcare career applications, even from former bankers.

In my opinion, the collapse of major financial firms essentially seals off finance as a viable option for physicians who wish to seek to get out of medicine, at least for a few years. There are now many many highly intelligent and trained people who have industry experience looking for a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
WSJ Article: Finance pros - half say they won't leave industry.

A career in medicine is generally stable and secure, even during times of financial difficulty. I would never give that up to pursue a banking career.