Baylor College of Medicine 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is your class a gunner class (where most people are shooting for an H) or is there a more broad distribution of ambitions? Do you study a lot every day and do you have time for life outside of school? Did you get any early clinical exposure and if you did, was it motivating?

At the start, our class was a CRAZY gunner class. If you high passed, you were at the bottom of the class...literally. All that has calmed down now. I think people got burned out, and everyone just wants to have a little fun. We're doing lots more social activities. This past weekend, a good number of us went to clubs in midtown, and had an Oscar watching party. We dressed in gowns, drank champagne cocktails and watched the Oscars together. Just a month or so ago, we threw a fake bachelorette party that was so much fun! We got EVERYTHING for free. This coming Thursday, a lot of us are going salsa dancing because this girl in our class used to dance salsa competitively and she is going to teach us all how to do it. If your class seems to suck at first, give it a while. Everyone will gel together eventually.

Members don't see this ad.

So is your class a gunner class (where most people are shooting for an H) or is there a more broad distribution of ambitions? Do you study a lot every day and do you have time for life outside of school? Did you get any early clinical exposure and if you did, was it motivating?

WAit, let me answer the other questions, lol. I do not study that much every day, but it depends on your style. I study a bit every week, but I start to study hard core about a week or two before exams. This past exam period, I studied about twelve hours a day for six days straight. It was brutal, but to me it's worth having free time at the start of the block. Lots of people study about three to four hours a day, and that seems to work for them. Probably a better system.

We all get early clinical exposure in our PPS class. It was cool at first when we were taking core concepts, because it reminded us that we are studying to be doctors. Now that we're studying infectious disease, neuro, etc it's not as useful because we know how much we still have to learn. It is strange going in to see a patient when you have NO clue what to ask. I'd imagine it's better when you have a list of differentials and can better interview patients. Early clinical experience is overrated I feel, but the 1.5 years of basic science is a great idea. I have a friend who just took step one, and he says having clinical experience before teh step really helped.

Yeah, I heard that the class before you guys' was pretty gunner, and then you guys matriculated and really showed them what being a gunner was all about. ;)

Yeah, I just couldn't believe it. I came from U of H where everyone is really chill, so it was a RUDE awakening to get to baylor with all the gunners. I can hang with 'em now, though :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
At the start, our class was a CRAZY gunner class. If you high passed, you were at the bottom of the class...literally. All that has calmed down now. I think people got burned out, and everyone just wants to have a little fun. We're doing lots more social activities. This past weekend, a good number of us went to clubs in midtown, and had an Oscar watching party. We dressed in gowns, drank champagne cocktails and watched the Oscars together. Just a month or so ago, we threw a fake bachelorette party that was so much fun! We got EVERYTHING for free. This coming Thursday, a lot of us are going salsa dancing because this girl in our class used to dance salsa competitively and she is going to teach us all how to do it. If your class seems to suck at first, give it a while. Everyone will gel together eventually.

Wow, I'm glad that things have settled down and are more fun now. I appreciate that so many BCM students make the new "recruits" like me feel welcome. :thumbup: :)

I'm looking forward to getting started (but enjoying my freedom right now as well!). Sounds like the studying is manageable for now. Maybe they can fine-tune the early clinical exposure.

Thank you for the information!

Here's my guess: he "got in officially" in the Baylor system, and they sent out a mass email to all the accepted students (as Baylor has it, not necessarily those who had been called) and he got the email before he had gotten a call. I know that several different people make the calls, and they just do it when it fits in their schedule, so there's a possibility he was accepted, added to the list of accepted students, received the email, all before he got the call. I guess what I'm saying is that you don't get a call as soon as you get in--there's some lag time, enough that maybe he slipped through.

Bottom line: expect a call. But don't really expect it because you know a watched pot never boils. I got it when I least expected it...

Very true. I should know, I've tried! I'll attempt to put it behind me, though. They better call/e-mail soon, though because [Insert corny boiling pot metaphor]...

Very true. I should know, I've tried! I'll attempt to put it behind me, though. They better call/e-mail soon, though because [Insert corny boiling pot metaphor]...

So when did you interview? Are you considering any other schools as well?

Thanks to everyone for their informative posts, this thread has been very useful. I am very excited to start my education at Baylor:)

Lady Jubilee, do you feel that the shortened curriculum still provides you with a strong basic science foundation for clinics? I had read a previous post where you had stated that block one had too much material that wasn't very cohesive. Do you feel that the material is more relevant and cohesive now? What do you like most about Baylor? What do you think could improve? Do you go to lectures or stay at home to watch the streaming videos? Thanks again!

Lady Jubilee, do you feel that the shortened curriculum still provides you with a strong basic science foundation for clinics?
I think so. Lots of schools go all day from 8am to 5pm and I have no clue what they are doing in school for that long. I feel that we get a pretty nice view of the material, though it does require some independent study. I, personally, would rather have more time to study at home than spend hours in class. After a while, you just zone out anyway.

I had read a previous post where you had stated that block one had too much material that wasn't very cohesive. Do you feel that the material is more relevant and cohesive now?
Very much so. Block one was by far my worst block because it seemed like we had to learn random facts with no clinical relevance. The information almost immediately got better. CRR was all intergrated by organ system (cardio, respiratory, renal), as was GIMNER (GI, metabolism, nutrition, endocrine, and reproduction). I’m doing block five, and the information is much more interesting and clinically relevant than before. Our texts have also gotten better. I think everyone hates life at the start of medical school, but you end up getting the hang of it, and studying becomes more rewarding.

What do you like most about Baylor?
The administration and the neighboring hospitals are very accessible. There are constantly new opportunities to do…well whatever you want. Many of our lecturers are doctors at the neighboring hospitals, and they are always giving us opportunities to work with them or shadow them. Also the hospitals really welcome volunteers from Baylor. We did a parent’s night out where we babysat for special needs kids while their parents got a little brake. Also, right now we’re putting on a little carnival for the kids in the dialysis unit at TCH. I’m also volunteering to hold babies at the neonate unit. Ben Taub always needs people, there’s the student run clinic, etc. Also, if Baylor thinks an elective idea is worth while, we can create our own electives. We did a medical Spanish elective, and a wilderness medicine elective this year. Lots of flexibility and opportunity
What do you think could improve?
The construction is really annoying, but that won’t be a problem when you guys get here. I think anatomy class is lacking because we just don’t spend enough time doing anatomy. If you really want to get ahead, you have to do lots of independent studying. Plus the drawings in our syllabus really suck.
Do you go to lectures or stay at home to watch the streaming videos?
I do a bit of both. I generally go to class, but if a prof talks slowly or is really boring, watching the lectures at home is the way to go. Besides, if you ever miss something, you can re-watch bits of the lectures as needed.

So when did you interview? Are you considering any other schools as well?

I interviewed in December. In any case, we'll see what happens...

I interviewed on February 2 and am desperately wanting an acceptance from Baylor! it's my absolute DREAM SCHOOL..!!! sigghh..
anyways..my question is that if I interviewed this late, is it true that I might have already been on the bottom of the list (the list that ranks applicants based on mcat + gpa) and just made the cutoff?
Cuz if that's so, then Ive heard that the 'acceptance list' is a sum of mcat+gpa+interview score and I might be at a disadvantage because of my low previous sum. I don't know if my question makes sense??
but I'm just trying to gauge my chances of getting in!
I realize that from this week onward...their acceptance calls will be increasing!!!!!!!! ahhhhh......

I interviewed in December. I already have an offer from UTSW so not a bad place to be. It would be nice to have another option thrown into the mix but I do realize that with all the whole TMDSAS match scandal I'm lucky I got that pre-match offer. In any case, we'll see what happens...

Great. Yes, I also checked out UTSW and I'm pretty sure I would have been happy there. It's an excellent school. My perspective on the "match scandal" is that it worked quite well. I would not have wanted to wait until "match day" to find out if/where I got in ... I'm not discounting the fact that the process upset many people. They will know next year that most offers are made pre-match.

BCM is a great school as well, of course. For me I thought there was something special about the place before I even knew I was going into medicine.

I interviewed on February 2 and am desperately wanting an acceptance from Baylor! it's my absolute DREAM SCHOOL..!!! sigghh..
anyways..my question is that if I interviewed this late, is it true that I might have already been on the bottom of the list (the list that ranks applicants based on mcat + gpa) and just made the cutoff?
Cuz if that's so, then Ive heard that the 'acceptance list' is a sum of mcat+gpa+interview score and I might be at a disadvantage because of my low previous sum. I don't know if my question makes sense??
I realize that from this week onward...their acceptance calls will be increasing!!!!!!!! ahhhhh......

I'm pretty sure I got in ahead of people with better GPAs and MCATs. Maybe the formula you give is about right, but I'm sure that there are other factors. I have also heard of people interviewing in ~December and getting admitted in ~January (I hope I'm getting this right), so just because you are late in the season doesn't mean that you are going to be at the bottom of the list. Baylor doesn't interview for waitlist. They interview for real spots. I hope you find a fun distraction to keep your mind of this and that it all works out perfectly for you!

just make sure to nail the interview. From what I understand it counts for about one third of the overall candidate evaluation. From what I remember from interview day, they weight all factors, add them together and generate a number for you. Every so often they will select a few people to accept. The people are usually at the top of their numerical pile.

So what I guess I'm trying to say is that it's a multi factorial process and that the interview definitely counts for quite a bit. I talked to a number of MSI's at Baylor who didn't think they would have a shot but got in.

Good Luck!

I actually wish I had interviewed later (although watching 12 days was really fun). Baylor was one of my first interviews so I don't think they got my "A" game. Too bad...great school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually wish I had interviewed later (although watching 12 days was really fun). Baylor was one of my first interviews so I don't think they got my "A" game. Too bad...great school.

Good point. Although I was there on the first available interview day of 2006-7 applications, Baylor was my very last interview (that I chose to accept anyway), and I was very glad to have gone through the med school interview process several times before earlier in the season (even if the questions were a little different, knowing more or less what to expect helped). My first interviewer was an MS4 student who launched right into a series of detailed questions and it was nice to have basic answers in mind from prior "practice" and to be able to expand on those previous replies.

thanks oncocap and youz!!!! for the support...at this nervewrecking time i really do appreciate it..if i happen to get a call by some miracle ya'll will be one of the first to know i promise!!! :)

thanks oncocap and youz!!!! for the support...at this nervewrecking time i really do appreciate it..if i happen to get a call by some miracle ya'll will be one of the first to know i promise!!! :)

You're very welcome. Worry not; life's too short. Enjoy your life as much as you can, particularly now before the coming storm of MS1, which has been described in various ways, such as a sharp kick in the abdomen. Hopefully our class will settle into a groove a little more quickly than the class before us. Either way, there will be ample opportunity for stress and panic attacks in med school itself (stress in med school being somewhat unavoidable).

Hi! I'll be going to BCM this fall through the Baylor2 program! I'm really excited to get started. I've been down to sit in on classes and such several times and it's just amazing!

Could any medical student please post a list of required and/or recommended books for year 1 at Baylor? My job gives me an "educational/book" allowance that I have to use up soon and I would like to spend some on Baylor books (rather than out of my own pocket):)

Could you elaborate on the construction? What's changing? When I interviewed, one student made a reference to how "this part" of the building was old, but it would be renovated before we start. How far along is the progress?

They are building a new library, ERC (place to study), and student lounge which is supposed to be bad ass. It should be done in May some time, so we're all pissed that we only have one semester in the new facilities. We have absolutely no place to study on campus because of the damn construction, but you guys will have a sweet campus next year, pffftt

Could any medical student please post a list of required and/or recommended books for year 1 at Baylor? My job gives me an "educational/book" allowance that I have to use up soon and I would like to spend some on Baylor books (rather than out of my own pocket):)

First block, I used Junq for histology and Boron for everything else. The other books aren't very useful. I just supplemented with random review books; the BRS series is the best, I feel. You can probably find these books online somewhere. When I get less lazy, I'll post the ISBN numbers.

Basic Histology: Text & Atlas with CD-ROM
Luiz Carlos Junqueira, Jose Carneiro, Jose Carneiro
ISBN: 0071440917

Brs Physiology
by Linda S. Costanzo
ISBN: 0781773113

*other BRS books are good too, notably Pathology (for block 4 a little, but definitely for MS2/Fall 2)

Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple (blocks 5/6)
by Gladwin, William Trattler
ISBN: 094078081X

You could buy First Aid for Step 1 if you wanna start studying with it/adding to it. It will be very useful for MS2/Fall 2. Shouldn't change majorly since there was a big revision for 2006, now 2007 version is available.

Construction:

If you go to www.bcm.edu and click on "New Construction" you will see the new cafeteria pics, new basic research building, new study spaces (actually mostly the shrine--er, museum for Dr. Debakey), and that's about it. Probably someday there will be info about the new hospital.

i just got a call, i'm officially gonna be a part of BCM c/o 2011!!

i just got a call, i'm officially gonna be a part of BCM c/o 2011!!

congrats! I also got the call today.. interviewed way back in early october and honestly was expecting a waitlist/rejection coming. looking forward to meeting all you guys on the board

congrats! I also got the call today.. interviewed way back in early october and honestly was expecting a waitlist/rejection coming. does more info come in the mail/email, any info on 2nd look weekend? completely missed what the dean said. looking forward to meeting all you guys on the board

Glad to meet you, istream. :) Great things are always better when you don't expect them to happen (so soon)!

i interviewed feb 2, i was kinda surprised to get a call too. i thought i wouldnt know until mid march.. or later

congrats istream and milian! are you guys in state or oos?

congrats istream and milian! are you guys in state or oos?

haha... the million dollar question. i am interested to know as well... (being an OOSer...) congrats to both of you!

I'm pretty sure I got in ahead of people with better GPAs and MCATs.

haha, onco, don't be so modest, though...i'm sure already having a PhD didn't hurt either... :)

i just recently got accepted too, but my situtation is weird. i never received any calls, but today i received an email for a revisit weekend for acceptees... i was like WTF?!

so i called the admissions office, told the lady about the situation and she said "uuuuuhhhh, please hold". the next person i hear on the phone is dr. michaels, who then told me i was accepted.

weird sequence of events, but i can't complain. BAYLOR HERE I COME!!!

oh yeah, i'm an In-stater that interviewed on the november 8th.

...haha..., don't be so modest, though...i'm sure already having a PhD didn't hurt either... :)

Nope, it didn't hurt at all. :D

i just recently got accepted too, but my situtation is weird. i never received any calls, but today i received an email for a revisit weekend for acceptees... i was like WTF?!

so i called the admissions office, told the lady about the situation and she said "uuuuuhhhh, please hold". the next person i hear on the phone is dr. michaels, who then told me i was accepted.

weird sequence of events, but i can't complain. BAYLOR HERE I COME!!!

oh yeah, i'm an In-stater that interviewed on the november 8th.

Looks like they had a little mix-up....

But hey, I can tell you are still extremely happy!!!!

i'm a texas resident, i got that e-mail for revisit weekend today also. i'm 99% sure im gonna be going to it, i just need to make sure that i can get travel assistance to cover the cost of at least part of my flight (currently at school far far away from h-town). anyone else planning on going?

also congrats istream, pancho, and the other peeps that have been accepted! and good luck to the hopefuls =)

does anyone know if lots of baylor students live in favrot towers?

I briefly read about the BCM Health Insurance, and it seems to be ok based on the description. Do any current med students have any comments on it? Does it seem to cover typical things? Is it problematic to work with? Is it hard finding covered providers?

Has anyone found an apartment yet? Any hints on where to start looking?

i think they are going to be sending out housing information and listings later this month...assuming this will help with the apartment hunt.

hello to all my future classmates, i havent been on sdn for a couple months and i just found out there were class specific threads...

anybody else from cali?

Favrot Towers: VERY few students live there. It's mostly filled with international students/residents/elective students...which I think would be cool. But you can't park your car there, you have a pretty small college dorm-type room, you have a random roomate that changes every month, and there's little room for cooking/partying/etc.

Apartments: Lanesborough, Greenbriar, Maroneal, Archstone Medical Center, "Condoland" which has condos as well as rentable spaces

*Careful choosing an apt. based on proximity to the light rail system/bus as Metro has been screwing with the previously $52/yr rail/bus pass. Who knows how much it will cost next year...

BCM Insurance: I have it and I've used it once with no problems. It's Aetna, which is pretty well received by the majority of providers out there. No complaints.

Since my apartment (a little NNW of tmc) is not on the rail or bus line I assume I'll be parking in the South Extension Lot. Is this the my best option or are there other possibilities?

BCM Insurance: I have it and I've used it once with no problems. It's Aetna, which is pretty well received by the majority of providers out there. No complaints.

Thank you, generic. I'll try it out.

as another option for housing -

when i was a grad student, i lived at kirby place apartments on the corner of kirby and holcombe (there is also another new apartment complex across the street as well). it is approximately 5 minutes from the med center, and the great thing about it is that they have a shuttle that runs from the complex and through the med center every 30 minutes. ( i think it is $1 per ride)

Kirby Place is good, there's one next to it called Providence I think. Then across the street the new one is "7575 Kirby." I believe those are just condos.

Then there's "The Valencia" next to Lanesborough (very close to MetroRail). I believe those are condo-only as well.

If you wanna get creative you may be able to find a place to park somewhere (e.g. if you get to the Lanesborough area early in the morning you can park for free and ride the rail).

There's the Fannin South Lot I used to park in for $2 per day. Plus rail fare makes for a bad deal.

Some folks may park in the area around the museums for free on random streets and ride from the Museum District stop. You didn't hear it from me.

Has anyone found an apartment yet? Any hints on where to start looking?

Speaking of appartments, I live in Lanseborough and my roommate is moving out when he graduates. I'm looking for a girl (or a gay guy) to move in with me. If any of you would like more information or would like to arrange to see my appartment, shoot me a PM. Thanks! Congrats to all!

I wonder if those are just people who didn't interview...

You might want to PM them. PB&J posts *a lot* and seems very friendly. I don't know the other person.

So who is going on the second look weekend? I had emailed my response a while back, and finally emailed back with a followup email when not hearing any details. They had said there "may" still be spots open for student hosts (uh, I thought it would be pre-arranged), but was wondering if other folks are planning to stay in town Friday night and depart Saturday, or leaving Friday?

Hello all,

After some initial apprehension, I think I'm pretty much set on going to Baylor. Any other out of staters here?

Hello all,

After some initial apprehension, I think I'm pretty much set on going to Baylor. Any other out of staters here?

I'm in-state, but hey, glad to hear you chose Baylor!:thumbup:

Hello all,

Out of state here too. I have to say that I'm definitely starting to come around. I still have to hear from Penn and hear about possible scholarships from some schools, but I'm definitely starting to envision myself at Baylor...