Baylor College of Medicine 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, this is depressing. I went on mdapplicants to see the stats of everyone accepted thus far, and saw a guy from my school was already accepted. His GPA was lower, his MCAT 1 point higher, and we had a lot of the same ECs. We are both OOS too. I doubt they are looking for a female clone of him to accept also. Damn.

Members don't see this ad.

when do Baylor students take Step 1? right after the 1.5 years of classroom curriculum? after a few rotations (thus around the same time students at other schools take the Step 1)? after all the required rotations (a la Duke or Penn)? I can't remember when I asked back in Sept. (I think the student told me they take it whenever they want).

Okay, this is depressing. I went on mdapplicants to see the stats of everyone accepted thus far, and saw a guy from my school was already accepted. His GPA was lower, his MCAT 1 point higher, and we had a lot of the same ECs. We are both OOS too. I doubt they are looking for a female clone of him to accept also. Damn.

Clearly the process is not transparent. At the same time, although stats are very important, I seriously doubt that the Baylor admissions looks at the applicants with respect to MCAT & GPA slots that need to be filled. For one thing your interview counts as a factor. I'm sure they look at the essays as well. I could easily see someone with somewhat lower GPA & MCAT stats getting in for some other reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
when do Baylor students take Step 1? right after the 1.5 years of classroom curriculum? after a few rotations (thus around the same time students at other schools take the Step 1)? after all the required rotations (a la Duke or Penn)? I can't remember when I asked back in Sept. (I think the student told me they take it whenever they want).

They take Step 1 after a certain number of rotations (I'll let a Baylor student tell you exactly when ... I think it's relatively late). The fact that the students have clinical experience is supposed to be one reason why Baylor has great stats.

They take Step 1 after a certain number of rotations (I'll let a Baylor student tell you exactly when ... I think it's relatively late). The fact that the students have clinical experience is supposed to be one reason why Baylor has great stats.

yeah isn't the average at Bayor a 236? Penn does a very similar setup and they have the self-proclaimed highest Step 1 average in the country.

obviously its the best way to do it.

I believe that they can take the Step 1 whenever they want (although I suppose there is SOME deadline,) because it is not required that you pass it in order to start rotations. An MS3 friend of mine is getting ready to take it in Jan. He told me that that's when a lot of people take it. So, I guess that means that a lot of students take it about 1 year after they finish their preclinical work.

We are required to take Step 1 by June of our 4th year. Most students take it during February of their 3rd year, after they've had a year of clinics under their belt.

and in case you're wondering...that IS the best way to do it...haha

at least we have lots of freedom and independence at Baylor.

same as you Generic, I've always known I wanted to go to Baylor so I applied early decision and I'm sure I won't regret it.

Baylor College of Medicine 2011

I can't wait for the year to start! Although I don't know if I'll be able to handle the material right away considering I've been out of school for a year.

I can't wait for the year to start! Although I don't know if I'll be able to handle the material right away considering I've been out of school for a year.

I also can't wait for the year to start ... but I'm also taking the advice to enjoy the time before school as much as possible. It's a long road (but totally worth it!) that starts here and it's great to start it as refreshed as possible.

I'm sure you'll do very well. I know this sounds weird, but my parents are buying me a Netters as a Christmas present, and I look forward to looking through it. I'm sure my kids will find it interesting as well.

yeah, you hear all this advice about not reading/studying ahead, or you should because it'll be so hard...or that non-science majors or people who've taken time off will be in big trouble.

Just do what makes you happy and congratulate yourself on making it this far.

Try to memorize some muscle groups--maybe it'll be a fun way to improve your workout efficiency. And it'll help with anatomy. ha!

I also can't wait for the year to start ... but I'm also taking the advice to enjoy the time before school as much as possible. It's a long road (but totally worth it!) that starts here and it's great to start it as refreshed as possible.

I'm sure you'll do very well. I know this sounds weird, but my parents are buying me a Netters as a Christmas present, and I look forward to looking through it. I'm sure my kids will find it interesting as well.

The following are books I have brought with me to China:

1. First Aid USMLE Step 1
2. Anatomy and physiology Textbook ($7 at Half-price books)
3. A study guide on the internal medicine board exam.

Needless to say, they have yet to leave my suitcase.

Members don't see this ad :)
The following are books I have brought with me to China:

1. First Aid USMLE Step 1
2. Anatomy and physiology Textbook ($7 at Half-price books)
3. A study guide on the internal medicine board exam.

Needless to say, they have yet to leave my suitcase.

Keep them in your suitcase until you get to Houston.

I say go ahead and memorize the entire Internal Medicine book as well as the anatomy book. heh...

Also it won't hurt to know all the medical terms in Chinese. Baylor has some decent connections with schools over there.

Well, I finally closed on my house in Pearland (suburb south of Houston). My family is going to go ahead and move down there from Austin while I finish up my post-doc stuff here in Austin. I'll go down on weekends just to be with them and to help out.

I'm sure 99% of the people going to Baylor will just rent, but if anyone is looking to buy a house (for Texas in-state resident tuition or because of family needs), I hope you don't go through the same realtor experiences I did. This is my 3rd home purchase in my life and, although we are very happy with the home & location we wound up with, the experience was unpleasant thanks to the realtors I encountered. Maybe I've just been very lucky to have competent, responsive, and hard-working realtors in the past because this latest bunch I dealt with really didn't compare well at all.

I first tried a discount realtor (Zip Realty) since I pretty much knew what I wanted and could find plenty of homes to view on my own ... a really bad idea because when you are ready to do a deal there is a certain amount of competence and drive required, which our realtor did not have in any way shape or form. Assuming even basic form-filling skills was a bad assumption. Next, I tried ReMax (briefly) and Keller Williams (who we eventually went with). Our ReMax Realtor did very little to help us find a home, and then was difficult to schedule (changing the schedule at the last minute to really inconvenient times). Maybe there is just so much business for these realtors that they can do this and survive.

The Keller Williams realtor was better ... a little slow to respond more but was competent and seemed to have a good system when it was time to shuffle through the details of making an offer, doing a deal, and then getting closed. However, nothing was as bad as the Caldwell Banker realtor who the seller had. The CB realtor did much less than the absolute minimum once she had an offer. She had a sale and focused all her time from then on something else. The only thing she made time for was to pick up her commission check. It would literally take 3 days to get even an inadequate response to the most trivial questions and issues. Needless to say, I'm happy to have closed and look forward to following my family down to Houston metro.

Sorry to hear about your bad realtor experiences. When we bought our townhouse, the agent was my mother-in-law...so I guess she had some good incenctive to help us out.

Congrats on being done with the process (at least I hope it's over with)!

Hi guys,
Are there any current first-years reading this? If so, could you tell me what time the Anatomy lecture is on Tuesday? A friend of mine and I are going to TA Head and Neck, and we are planning on coming to the first lecture, but we don't know what time it is, and Cassius hasn't gotten back to us.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your bad realtor experiences. When we bought our townhouse, the agent was my mother-in-law...so I guess she had some good incenctive to help us out.

Congrats on being done with the process (at least I hope it's over with)!

Our final realtor was actually ok ... it's the seller's realtor taking 3 days to respond to simple questions like ... can we do an inspection on X date, taking 2 weeks to agree to closing date and then changing it the day before Christmas eve that was driving my wife nutty (and my wife let me know how she felt about it :laugh: !). That wouldn't have been so bad if we hadn't had some unpleasant experiences prior to that.

Yeah, we are so happy to have closed on the house. It makes moving seem easy by comparison because we don't need to wait on anyone to figure out what they want to do, leaving us wondering what problems that is going to create for us. We're looking at going with Blue Whale moving who supposedly can move us in one day -- hopefully that will go well. The only bad part is that I'll be staying in Austin a while longer (until May) to finish a post-doc, but I'll be able to come down on weekends and my schedule is fairly flexible if I need to go down for a day or whatever. We want to sell our current house anyway, so I can be useful in that respect as well.

Well, I finally closed on my house in Pearland (suburb south of Houston). My family is going to go ahead and move down there from Austin while I finish up my post-doc stuff here in Austin. I'll go down on weekends just to be with them and to help out.

Congrats on closing on your house. :) I also live in Pearland, as do many other Baylor students. PM me if you need any info/contacts/places to eat, etc. (We have kids as well)

Congrats on closing on your house. :) I also live in Pearland, as do many other Baylor students. PM me if you need any info/contacts/places to eat, etc. (We have kids as well)

Thank you. Pearland is looking pretty nice so far!

I just received an e-mail about "Important Information from Baylor College of Medicine" for accepted students. If you didn't get the e-mail and are an accepted student, you might want to check with the school and make sure that they have your correct address.

Here are key points:

* "We have developed a web site for you, which contains very important
information and forms to be completed and returned, so that your start at
Baylor will be as successful as possible."

(PM me if you didn't get the e-mail, can't get help from the phone number below, and need the URL for some reason -- I'm not sure if they want to make it public or not)

* "The site will be updated on March 26 and May 1." (There is plenty of information on there now as well -- including immunization info, computer requirements, etc).

* "Web site housing information will be posted beginning March 26 and will be
updated regularly, as listings are added.

* Should you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 713-798-4600.

Here is the kind of information you will find there now:
"This web site contains very important infomation and forms that need to be completed and returned so that your start at Baylor College of Medicine will be a success.

"Information #1 - Jan. 11
Immunization/Health Requirements
Class of 2011 Orientation
Official Preliminary Registration Form
Financial Aid Information and Application
2007-2008 Academic Calendar

Enjoy!

FYI:
The 2006 USMLE Step 1 avg for BCM students was 237.:thumbup:

do a lot of baylor students live in the UT university housing at 1885 paseo or 7900 cambridge? its cheap and it's really close, so it seems like a good deal...

do a lot of baylor students live in the UT university housing at 1885 paseo or 7900 cambridge? its cheap and it's really close, so it seems like a good deal...

Hi ry2thesky,

I'm not a Baylor student yet (entering this summer). I see your question isn't getting a lot of replies ... you may want to PM texasrose, madamlulu. If you haven't done so already, you might also intrude to on the UT-H thread and ask there.

My initial thought is ... if it's UT university housing, how could a non-UT student stay there? Anyway, good luck with your housing search.:luck:

There are BCM folks that live in the UT housing complexes. Do a search for the website, I don't recall it off the top of my head.

Alright, I'm finally posting. The snow sure has been getting to me so I'm definitely not going to go to UMich. But, I'm having an impossible time choosing between WashU and Baylor. It stinks because I had made Baylor my number 1 going into this whole process, and applied to WashU on a whim, but things have changed after interviewing at both (and don't get me started on UPenn, but we'll see). Anyone have any input on the two?

Wait for financial aid. If you end up coming to baylor and purchasing property, I think that would be the better deal. Most people purchase property around Condoland, and the condos there are most likely going to appreciate in value by the time you graduate due to the building of the new Baylor hospital and the UT Dental school. Good luck with your decision.

Not a lot, but there are a handful in each class. Most students that attend school in the med center are able to live at UT Housing, but I don't think most Baylor students are aware of that.

Wait for financial aid. If you end up coming to baylor and purchasing property, I think that would be the better deal. Most people purchase property around Condoland, and the condos there are most likely going to appreciate in value by the time you graduate due to the building of the new Baylor hospital and the UT Dental school. Good luck with your decision.

How does residency in Texas work. If you purchase property, and still don't have a job, can you declare residency after your first year of owning property?

How does residency in Texas work. If you purchase property, and still don't have a job, can you declare residency after your first year of owning property?

Yes. You are considered a resident after a year of working w/o attending school or simply owning property for one year. Humble, most likely you will be invited back for second look weekend and they probably will discuss that then.

Yes. You are considered a resident after a year of working w/o attending school or simply owning property for one year. Humble, most likely you will be invited back for second look weekend and they probably will discuss that then.

So you have to have a job for a year to earn residency? Have you known any out of staters who have bought property for their first year, and were then residents by the next year? Speaking of second look weekends, when do they let folks know? Any idea on dates? Will I be purchasing another plane ticket or do they help out at all?

BTW thanks so much LULU for being our resident Baylor expert. I still assert that the most fantastic people I've met at schools have been at Baylor.

So you have to have a job for a year to earn residency? Have you known any out of staters who have bought property for their first year, and were then residents by the next year? Speaking of second look weekends, when do they let folks know? Any idea on dates? Will I be purchasing another plane ticket or do they help out at all?
Either have a job for a year OR own property for a year. Most of the OOS I know have purchased property b/c it just makes more financial sense, and yes they are now residents. My understanding of Baylor's second look is that it is meant for OOS who are on the fence (eg. holding multiple acceptances). Yes, they'll pay for it and match you up with a current student. IIRC, last year's 2nd look was held sometime in April.
BTW thanks so much LULU for being our resident Baylor expert. I still assert that the most fantastic people I've met at schools have been at Baylor.
Then why are you even considering WASHU. :confused: ;) I have to agree though, I was amazed when I interviewed and continue to be amazed by my fellow classmates.

I've heard a rumor that if you buy property before first year, then you can get residency for the first year and that you get in-state tuition your second year regardless of whether you rent or buy. Is this true?

I'm a bit confused by your question. If you buy property before first year, which a lot of people do, you need to have owned it for a year before you're considered a texas resident. I'm a bit confused about your "rent or buy" comment. I don't know any OOS student who has bought property, sold it within a year, and then rented. Probably not a wise financial move and I'm certain that person wouldn't be eligible for in-state tuition. I've found this document; it's kind of long and was meant to be in effect until the '04-05 year but I don't think the rules have changed at all. http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/0183.pdf

Alright, I'm finally posting. The snow sure has been getting to me so I'm definitely not going to go to UMich. But, I'm having an impossible time choosing between WashU and Baylor. It stinks because I had made Baylor my number 1 going into this whole process, and applied to WashU on a whim, but things have changed after interviewing at both (and don't get me started on UPenn, but we'll see). Anyone have any input on the two?

I don't know anything about Baylor, but I went to Wash U undergrad, have lived here for 5 yrs, worked at the medical school, and volunteered at it's hospitals. Keep in mind that Wash U is a school that will prep you for almost exclusively academic medicine. You will see mostly zebras... my fourth year tour guide even commented that he wouldn't know how to control diabetes in a patient. It has the largest MSTP program in the nation (you can see where their interest lies) and almost everyone does some sort of research--mostly lab and molecular biology... not clinical. You will be taught by PhDs who will insert their research into discussions and also tests. When I asked people why they chose to go there ALL said because it was the best school they got into. I feel sorry that some of them might have gone to the school not knowing they would get sucked into tertiary care, research, and academic medicine. However, the city is great and the area around the medical school is very very cool. Wash U med students are very well respected by the community. The facilities are great, and everyone who works there is extremely intelligent. Not as many chances are available to speak Spanish like at Baylor, but you will see the very present African American community all the time.

I personally would go to Baylor, where I would feel less limited... but that's just what I'm interested in.

Humble: What are your priorities when it comes to medical school? How do you typically make your best decisions? There are many ways to make decisions like this .... Also, what do you see as the "downsides" of making a bad decision when it comes to medical school (what are your greatest fears)?

Humble: What are your priorities when it comes to medical school? How do you typically make your best decisions? There are many ways to make decisions like this .... Also, what do you see as the "downsides" of making a bad decision when it comes to medical school (what are your greatest fears)?

I don't even know anymore. I thought I was set on pediatrics with interests in global health/medicine (what really drew me to Baylor initially). Now I'm trying to figure out if I wanted to do more tertiary care or sub-specialty, or even academic medicine. Oy. If someone just offered me a full-ride or something, it would make this entire process a hell of a lot easier (but I'm not holding my breath).

I don't even know anymore. I thought I was set on pediatrics with interests in global health/medicine (what really drew me to Baylor initially). Now I'm trying to figure out if I wanted to do more tertiary care or sub-specialty, or even academic medicine. Oy. If someone just offered me a full-ride or something, it would make this entire process a hell of a lot easier (but I'm not holding my breath).

I can tell this has been confusing for you. Keep in mind that Baylor, like other schools, is not limited to preparing you for pediatrics or any other speciality. They will expose you to a variety of specialties and you will have a chance to pick something based on your own hands-on experience. They can prepare you for academic medicine as well.

One of things I liked about Baylor was that they have an organized research track. I know you can do something similar at other schools, but I liked the fact that it was an organized program at Baylor (WashU might have a similar program, I'm not sure; I never considered WashU because it didn't fit my priorities). Baylor offers a great education and is known for a positive environment with respect to the student body working well together, etc. Since you mention money (want a free ride), keep in mind that Baylor is among the least expensive of your choices and you'll be getting everything that your more tuition-burdened collegues at other schools are getting in terms of quality education and experience.

Here is an exercise that you can try if you really want to understand your motivations and have some time to kill: make a grid with your priorities as rows (cost, USNWR rankings, curriculum, research opportunities, student happiness, etc. etc.) and each of your school choices as columns. Give each school a forced ranking from 1 to 3 or whatever in each category (no schools can have the same score -- otherwise this system won't work). You can weight each row differently (student happiness might be worth 2X, for example). Then total up the columns and the best score "wins." If you get a tie, you will need to force rank your priorities as well (in a tie the school with the best score in the most important factor wins).

As you go through this you will probably find that the school with the best score is not the one you really want to go to. Then you will realize that there is some other factor (let's say it's weather and you hate snow more than humidity). You can then add that as a row and update the scores accordingly. This little exercise will help you understand what you like or don't like about different schools, what your priorities and weighting for different factors are, and where you should go and why.

The other nice thing about this technique is that it helps expose any gaps in your assessment of a school. For example, you may not have looked into the research opportunities at a particular school very closely and find that this is a big factor for you. You can then investigate that school's research opportunities more to help you make a more informed decision. In the end it is your decision, and it is hard for me to see how you could go wrong with the quality of choices that you have. Be sure to list the "real" factors that are important to you and not just what other people think is important; live your life and not someone else's.

I can tell this has been confusing for you. Keep in mind that Baylor, like other schools, is not limited to preparing you for pediatrics or any other speciality. They will expose you to a variety of specialties and you will have a chance to pick something based on your own hands-on experience. They can prepare you for academic medicine as well.

One of things I liked about Baylor was that they have an organized research track. I know you can do something similar at other schools, but I liked the fact that it was an organized program at Baylor (WashU might have a similar program, I'm not sure; I never considered WashU because it didn't fit my priorities). Baylor offers a great education and is known for a positive environment with respect to the student body working well together, etc. Since you mention money (want a free ride), keep in mind that Baylor is among the least expensive of your choices and you'll be getting everything that your more tuition-burdened collegues at other schools are getting in terms of quality education and experience.

Here is an exercise that you can try if you really want to understand your motivations and have some time to kill: make a grid with your priorities as rows (cost, USNWR rankings, curriculum, research opportunities, student happiness, etc. etc.) and each of your school choices as columns. Give each school a forced ranking from 1 to 3 or whatever in each category (no schools can have the same score -- otherwise this system won't work). You can weight each row differently (student happiness might be worth 2X, for example). Then total up the columns and the best score "wins." If you get a tie, you will need to force rank your priorities as well (in a tie the school with the best score in the most important factor wins).

As you go through this you will probably find that the school with the best score is not the one you really want to go to. Then you will realize that there is some other factor (let's say it's weather and you hate snow more than humidity). You can then add that as a row and update the scores accordingly. This little exercise will help you understand what you like or don't like about different schools, what your priorities and weighting for different factors are, and where you should go and why.

The other nice thing about this technique is that it helps expose any gaps in your assessment of a school. For example, you may not have looked into the research opportunities at a particular school very closely and find that this is a big factor for you. You can then investigate that school's research opportunities more to help you make a more informed decision. In the end it is your decision, and it is hard for me to see how you could go wrong with the quality of choices that you have. Be sure to list the "real" factors that are important to you and not just what other people think is important; live your life and not someone else's.
Heh, way ahead of you. I have a large Excel spreadsheet with columns for Cost of Living, High and Low temp (I prefer moderate climates), Crime rating, Research and then Primary Care Rank, Tuitiion, % Receiving Fin. Aid , % receiving grants/scholarships, avg debt, class size, F:S Ratio, and average resident director's ranking, and my "gut" ranking. I then have a huge math calculation. And guess what? Baylor's been at the top of the list always. I think I might be psyching myself out because it was my top choice going in, and then when I was accepted I think I kind of thought "Man, that wasn't so tough. If they let me in maybe it's not that competetive." Oy, I think I just need to put it off until fin. aid comes in, as Lulu suggested.

% Receiving Fin. Aid , % receiving grants/scholarships, avg debt

Just a quick question -- why is this stuff important to you? At the end of the day, isn't it just YOUR situation that matters?

Personally, I'd suggest that you go to WashU, but only because that would put one more Baylor spot back in the pool for me to have a shot at getting :)

Heh, way ahead of you. I have a large Excel spreadsheet with columns for Cost of Living, High and Low temp (I prefer moderate climates), Crime rating, Research and then Primary Care Rank, Tuitiion, % Receiving Fin. Aid , % receiving grants/scholarships, avg debt, class size, F:S Ratio, and average resident director's ranking, and my "gut" ranking. I then have a huge math calculation. And guess what? Baylor's been at the top of the list always. I think I might be psyching myself out because it was my top choice going in, and then when I was accepted I think I kind of thought "Man, that wasn't so tough. If they let me in maybe it's not that competetive." Oy, I think I just need to put it off until fin. aid comes in, as Lulu suggested.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You crack me up. I knew there had to be something behind all the fog you are putting up. If Baylor is your top choice, and it came "easily" (as if you've been sitting on your tail for the past 4 years ;-) ) it must not be that competitive?? :rolleyes: You realize how few people have been accepted to Baylor up to now?!! Have you read the pre-allo threads about "When is Baylor going to say something ..." Somehow I don't think if Baylor played "hard to get" with their best applicants that it would make it a better school (it would make it a worse school, in my opinion).

If there is one piece of advice I could give you: don't go to a school just because they give you a free ride. I have heard too many stories about & from people who took the "free ride" and were absolutely miserable or otherwise scarred for life. Go with what is important to you and don't let money be the sole deciding factor ... not now and not ever. There is no amount of money that will make up for your misery.

Just a quick question -- why is this stuff important to you? At the end of the day, isn't it just YOUR situation that matters?

Personally, I'd suggest that you go to WashU, but only because that would put one more Baylor spot back in the pool for me to have a shot at getting :)

This was done before I had even interviewed anywhere. Maybe I should eliminate the categories. So, in my ranking system, Baylor had a 7.86, UPenn second at 7.677, UMich at 6.812, Emory at 6.769, and WashU at 6.404. Neurotic? Yes. Decisive? No.

Yeah, I know that I'm being wierd about the difficulty of getting in effecting my decision (I think that's why I suddenly liked UPenn). I'm not sure if that's exactly why, but I'm doing my best to psychoanalyze myself.

Gotta love it! Pre-med to the bone! :laugh: :thumbup:

This was done before I had even interviewed anywhere. Maybe I should eliminate the categories. So, in my ranking system, Baylor had a 7.86, UPenn second at 7.677, UMich at 6.812, Emory at 6.769, and WashU at 6.404. Neurotic? Yes. Decisive? No. grrr....

Update your deciding factors for what you care about and based on what you found out was important since your interviews. Do you really care about whether the F:S ratio is 1:2 or 1:1.5? As long as it's reasonable, that shouldn't be a factor.

Update your deciding factors for what you care about and based on what you found out was important since your interviews. Do you really care about whether the F:S ratio is 1:2 or 1:1.5? As long as it's reasonable, that shouldn't be a factor.

Yeah - Personally, I would use a weighted scale, with that "gut feeling" having the greatest weight.

This was done before I had even interviewed anywhere. Maybe I should eliminate the categories. So, in my ranking system, Baylor had a 7.86, UPenn second at 7.677, UMich at 6.812, Emory at 6.769, and WashU at 6.404. Neurotic? Yes. Decisive? No.

Yeah, I know that I'm being wierd about the difficulty of getting in effecting my decision (I think that's why I suddenly liked UPenn). I'm not sure if that's exactly why, but I'm doing my best to psychoanalyze myself.

It's human nature to think like that. We value things that we had to work hard for. If something comes easily, we don't appreciate it as much. At the same time, sometimes the best things in life do come easily, and we need to be prepared for when that happens.

I have an interview coming up on the 2nd and was wondering what you guys thought. Will I be interviewing for an outright acceptance or most likely a waitlist? Also, do you have any advice for the interview? I have heard it is pretty laid back, but is there anything I should look out for or try to bring up in my interviews?