Bad decision to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdavis0215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just sent my application in yesterday and was fairly confident with my application if I am able to get my mcat score up. I have taken the mcat before and my score is 494 but I am working with a tutor and i know i will improve on the sept. 9th mcat. However i did not know how low my aamcas gpa would be. I graduated from clemson with a 3.69 overall gpa but 3 community college classes (1 of which i did not need) made my gpa come out to a 3.5. Is it a bad decision that I applied?

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence? Which schools did you apply to?
I live in Virginia, i applied to Virginia commonwealth, eastern Virginia, all of the University of South Carolina medical schools, rutgers, university of central florida, university of miami, university of south florida, west virginia, david geffen at UCLA, george washington and possibly florida state university. Like i said i didn't know how low it would drop my gpa to so some of these might be reaches

Members don't see this ad :)
With your current MCAT and GPA you have no chance at those schools. If you increase your MCAT to at least 508 you may receive interviews at your 2 Virginia schools. All the other schools on your list (except GW) give varying degrees of in state preference so there is no point in sending in the secondaries with your stats. You may have a chance at DO schools if your new MCAT is over 500. Post your score here when available in October.

Reactions: 1 user
With your current MCAT and GPA you have no chance at those schools. If you increase your MCAT to at least 508 you may receive interviews at your 2 Virginia schools. All the other schools on your list (except GW) give varying degrees of in state preference so there is no point in sending in the secondaries with your stats. You may have a chance at DO schools if your new MCAT is over 500. Post your score here when available in October.
thank you for your help. So they will not even look at my college gpa even though it was a 3.69? Or explaining about the community college classes that I do not need?

thank you for your help. So they will not even look at my college gpa even though it was a 3.69? Or explaining about the community college classes that I do not need?
They will look at your college GPA but your MCAT is far too low for MD schools. Do you have any shadowing or clinical volunteering hours?

They will look at your college GPA but your MCAT is far too low for MD schools. Do you have any shadowing or clinical volunteering hours?
so they will consider my 3.69? I know i have no chance with my mcat so I am hoping for a big improvement . I graduated with honors with public health research and this summer I completed an internship at the cancer center at Georgetown University hospital with around 130 hours of shadowing and research with possible publication. Also i am planning to work as a tech in the hospital after my mcat

so they will consider my 3.69? I know i have no chance with my mcat so I am hoping for a big improvement . I graduated with honors with public health research and this summer I completed an internship at the cancer center at Georgetown University hospital with around 130 hours of shadowing and research with possible publication. Also i am planning to work as a tech in the hospital after my mcat

If 3.5 is your cumulative GPA, then it's your cumulative GPA and the 3.69 no longer exists. Your science gpa from undergrad will be in a different category.

The median GPA of med school acceptees is ~3.7 You're nothing special in that category, but your MCAT score is in the risk zone for failing out of med school and/ore failing Boards.

By the time you retake, you'll have already been judged on your app and rejected at all MD schools (they don't "hold" apps anxiously awaiting your new score).

As of right now, your only hope is the DO schools you haven't applied to yet. You will need at least a 505 to undo the damage from the first exam. do NOT take the exam until you are 100% ready.

Any idea as to why you did so poorly?

...Is it a bad decision that I applied?

It's always a bad decision when you have a 494 on your first MCAT and have no idea how you will score on the next one. Many schools average multiple MCAT scores so there is that too. As @Goro said, your application will probably be reviewed and rejected before you get your new score. Schools don't have to wait for the new score. Maybe you should withdraw for the cycle. That way you can see how you do on the retake. It will also give you a year to beef up your ECs because from what you have shared they are pretty weak.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app