AZCOM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question for all you AZCOMers. From my understanding, AZCOM's preclinical curriculum is problem-based, right? I was just wondering how the human system is integrated into the problem-based didactic curriculum. Please forgive me if this is a stupid question..

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

nasadorn said:
I have a question for all you AZCOMers. From my understanding, AZCOM's preclinical curriculum is problem-based, right? I was just wondering how the human system is integrated into the problem-based didactic curriculum. Please forgive me if this is a stupid question..

Thanks!

AZCOM has more of the traditional didatic curriculum with a problem based workshop component (usually meets once a week) for classes like biochem and phys.

For example... this quarter, we have gross/histo/embryo, biochem, phys, intro to clinical med, omm, and behavior (all traditional lectures)... we also have a workshop once a week for biochem and another one for phys.

Sorry...still not clear on the issue of BODY SYSTEMS.

I was also accepted to NSUCOM, and by comparing their curriculum to AZCOM's, it made me wonder what happened to the study of the various body systems (cardiovascular system, respiratory system, endocrine system, reproductive system, nervous system, GI system, blah blah blah). Are they all integrated into one class or something? Just curious....

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how AZCOM compares to other schools, but we are probably similar to most. The traditional science courses are supplemented by problem/case-based workshops/labs.

As for systems, some courses are naturally taught and some aren't. Physiology seems to be system-based everywhere (cardio, respiratory, renal, etc.). Biochem is the opposite (metabolic pathways, nutrition, signal transduction, etc.). It's just the nature of the course in the first year.

Overall, AZCOM seems to be more system-based than problem-based. And they do try to tie together courses. In fact anatomy, histology and embryology are taught as one course because the information is so correlated. For example, we just finished the abdomen where we learned how the gut tube becomes the GI tract at both the gross and micro levels.

I can't comment on 2nd year - yet.

anyone else get a preceptor at NextCare?? i was trying to find some info but their web site more or less sucks. and i cant find any info on who the hell my preceptor is.

i am upset by the way the preceptor thing turned out. what was the point of specifying what you want if they were going to give you the one thing you specifically said you didnt want????

i should have set up my own....not gonna be making that mistake again

exia80 said:
i should have set up my own....not gonna be making that mistake again

Agreed. I got in line early to get a Maricopa Medical Center preceptor and all I get out it (from the looks of it) is a god-awful commute to Chandler for a couple hours at a clinic.

I'm not going to get too negative until I see how this turns out, but first impressions of Clinical Ed. aren't good.

Has anyone else tried Googling their preceptor?

I actually found out a good deal about mine. I even found a picture of him and what some of his areas of focus are within family medicine (headache treatment and women's health).

I too was dissapointed in how the so called "preferences" were applied to our assignments. So far as I can tell, I got the exact opposite of what I specified on my form.

Oh well, I'll give it a try and see how it goes I guess. :oops:

Hey everybody,

Hope you all had a good break. Last year, I had a preceptor for a specialty that I absolutely did not want. As it turned out, the guy let me do a ton. I saw all patients before him to evaluate chief complaints, obtained histories, did any of the physical exam stuff I wanted to do, gave shots, did OMM, even helped excise moles and lipomas.

Moral of the story? The preceptorship experience is to get you used to applying what you're learning into a clinical context. You should be worried about taking a good history, sharpening your physical exam skills, learning how to apply basic sciences, and get a feel for a practicing environment.

I know ideally that you'll want to experience your field of interest (I did, and still do). Just keep your eye on the ball, and remember that you'll have lots of time to explore specialties.

This year, I ended up with a preceptor in my desired field of interest. As it turns out, he actually has a specialized practice that I wouldn't be interested in for a career. But I still get to see lots of patients, and that's the key issue. Far too many of my classmates are with hand surgeons or whatever, and just shadow the guy. Hand surgery is cool and all, but shadowing sucks.

Good luck.

also, i would keep in mind that some docs just aren't good teachers...my preceptor last year taught me a lot...some good...some not as good...and some that i couldn't believe! but i did learn every single day. Try not to let a day get by/be a waste. Even if you don't get to do much of anything...you can still observe how your preceptor interacts (or doesn't) with the patients.

jgrady, who are you with in chandler? My preceptor this year is down there and he is AMAZING!!!! well worth the commute!!

Hey exia

I have Next Care in Scottsdale starting tomorrow (12/7)....let me know how yours goes.

i googled...got nothing since it seems there are other docs with same name...sigh. and i didnt want 2 pay 4 one of those reports...info on docs should be free...stupid money-making report giving organizations!!! :smuggrin:

Don't bother Googling to snoop about your preceptors, use the BOMEX website instead. Any court proceedings are posted in delicious, yet alarming, detail. My first preceptor out as a MSIII had a scary rap sheet a mile long. Too bad I found out too late!

As for clinical ed, it seems sometimes like they were put there just to test your patience. However, it seems that being very firm will help you get your way; they will give you the shaft if you let them. They're just trying to do their jobs, which I'm sure get ridiculously complicated, but it just means that attention to detail is lacking sometimes. Like when I'd have a preceptor cancel a rotation (which happened way too much) they would just stick me in with a random person (and usually a crap rotation) instead of emailing to tell me what happened and asking if I had any preferences as to where to go.

I would say that the best way to avoid clinical ed is to harrass the upperclassmen, get names of both good and bad docs, and request them specifically.

jgrady said:
I'm not going to get too negative until I see how this turns out, but first impressions of Clinical Ed. aren't good.

Wow, I've said this for four years, and often been berated by members of your class. Amazing how what you hear and what you see aren't always the same, eh?

Boomer

Members don't see this ad :)
cookypuss3 said:
Don't bother Googling to snoop about your preceptors, use the BOMEX website instead. Any court proceedings are posted in delicious, yet alarming, detail. My first preceptor out as a MSIII had a scary rap sheet a mile long. Too bad I found out too late!

As for clinical ed, it seems sometimes like they were put there just to test your patience. However, it seems that being very firm will help you get your way; they will give you the shaft if you let them. They're just trying to do their jobs, which I'm sure get ridiculously complicated, but it just means that attention to detail is lacking sometimes. Like when I'd have a preceptor cancel a rotation (which happened way too much) they would just stick me in with a random person (and usually a crap rotation) instead of emailing to tell me what happened and asking if I had any preferences as to where to go.

I would say that the best way to avoid clinical ed is to harrass the upperclassmen, get names of both good and bad docs, and request them specifically.

Any suggestions on specific docs, cookypuss? Thanks!

cookypuss3 said:
Don't bother Googling to snoop about your preceptors, use the BOMEX website instead. Any court proceedings are posted in delicious, yet alarming, detail.

Thanks for the tips Cookypuss3. My MSI preceptor is totally boring according to BOMEX but she was very nice at our first meeting. I'm looking forward to "observing" her over the Xmas break and giving her a bad time about having all Zeros on BOMEX. Twenty years of practice and nothing actions, investigations or claims? My brother said she must have spent most of her years in the profession as a consultant
:laugh:.

Merry Christmas everyone.

I have a couple days off of work this week and I'm contemplating taking a road trip to Phoenix, possibly tuesday or wednsday, and I was just curious if any of the first or second years would mind if I tagged along for a day on campus...if that's a possibility. I'll be attending AZCOM this fall and I sure would be psyched to get a glimpse of what to expect when I start classes this fall...everyone was at break when I interviewed. Anyone willing?

medtraveler said:
I have a couple days off of work this week and I'm contemplating taking a road trip to Phoenix, possibly tuesday or wednsday, and I was just curious if any of the first or second years would mind if I tagged along for a day on campus...if that's a possibility. I'll be attending AZCOM this fall and I sure would be psyched to get a glimpse of what to expect when I start classes this fall...everyone was at break when I interviewed. Anyone willing?

I would be happy to show you around if you want. Just pm me if you're interested.

Cyndi

Happy Spring Break! :cool:

congratulations medtraveler, you'll love it here.

So I used northstar/THE for my stafford and private lender this year...does anyone know the pros/cons about using midwestern (salliemae) for this next academic year? Under step 4 of the financial aid application it seems to imply that midwestern will offer a 3.3% cashback option AND sallie mae offers a 3.3% cash back option as well (is this a 6.6% cashback option upon repayment?). I think last year Northstar/THE was better because of 0% fees and midwestern/salliemay charged like 4%. Which one is better for this next year? Does anyone know/understand the consolidation differences between the two?

Some financial aid genius please help us (err..me)!

I just received some finaid info in the mail from Midwestern.

"Midwestern University will offer 0% loan fees for Graduate Students applying for Federal Stafford Loans. In addition, we will be offering a 3.3% cash back or credit option at repayment based on the the original principal amount of your federal stafford loans. Sallie Mae Trust will offer 0% loan fees for Undergraduate students. In addition, they offer a 3.3% cash back or credit option at repayment..."

So apparently MWU offers 0% and 3.3% back for graduates while Sallie Mae offers the same but only for undergrads.

Hope that helps!

99 % pass rate on Step 2 COMLEX for the class of 2005. Just found that out today. Very nice... means only 1 or 2 people failed from our class.

Use the northstar / THE loan program over the Sallie Mae/Midwestern option when choosing a lender for federal funds! The guaranteed 1% deduction they offer is a far better value then the 3.3% cashback option.

I wrote a very detailed response...but it somehow got lost, but I will just give you the outline.

* The northstar/THE 1% interest rate deduction is guaranteed
* The Sallie Mae/Midwestern 3.3% cashback is not guaranteed
* The Sallie Mae/Midwestern are the same entity essentially as Sallie Mae is the servicer for Midwestern
* 3.3% cashback on the principle for a 200k loan is $6,600 (regardless of 10 yr or 30 yr)
* 1% reduction on 200k loan with 10 yr repayment plan is $10,250
* 1% reduction on 200k loan with 30 yr repayment plan is $31,580
* Either way...you save SIGNIFICANTLY more with the northstar/THE program
* To apply go to www.northstar.org - You can probably find more information on them from SDN or just google it.

Oh yeah...you can check the values for yourself by going into excel...opening a new document...and choose the loan amoritization template and put in the values yourself.

Pooh Chong said:
Use the northstar / THE loan program over the Sallie Mae/Midwestern option when choosing a lender for federal funds! The guaranteed 1% deduction they offer is a far better value then the 3.3% cashback option.

I wrote a very detailed response...but it somehow got lost, but I will just give you the outline.

* The northstar/THE 1% interest rate deduction is guaranteed
* The Sallie Mae/Midwestern 3.3% cashback is not guaranteed
* The Sallie Mae/Midwestern are the same entity essentially as Sallie Mae is the servicer for Midwestern
* 3.3% cashback on the principle for a 200k loan is $6,600 (regardless of 10 yr or 30 yr)
* 1% reduction on 200k loan with 10 yr repayment plan is $10,250
* 1% reduction on 200k loan with 30 yr repayment plan is $31,580
* Either way...you save SIGNIFICANTLY more with the northstar/THE program
* To apply go to www.northstar.org - You can probably find more information on them from SDN or just google it.

I agree with Pooh Chong -- I also chose Northstar/THE for the same reasons as above. It's your loan, so I recommend choosing a company you feel like you would like to "do business" with for a number of years. Don't choose Sallie Mae if your only reason is because it's the company Midwestern is pushing. Do your homework, even a few minutes of research/educating yourself could mean thousands in the long run with loan amounts as large as ours.