Average DAT & Average GPA Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have 19AA, 19TS, 21 PAT with sGPA 3.4 and oGPA 3.4
2nd batch out and I got an email for an interview with Creighton (8/11). Its possible to get interviews with average or below average stats. STAY POSITIVE!! Its the only way to get through this crazy time.

Members don't see this ad.

overall gpa 3.4, science gpa 3.3, BCP 3.15:eek:
took the DAT twice...second time around 21AA and 21PAT...all scores 20 or above.... re-applicant this cycle...first batch.
I'm about to start a Master's program in about 2 weeks here...no interviews yet. I believe schools are waiting for grades from my first quarter so I will mostly likely be post-december...better get used to waiting :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my score today: TS 19/ AA 20/ PAT 22. thirty min. ago

This is my second year applying. Last year i didn't get accepted at although went to 3 interviews :-( (TS 20 /AA 19/ PAT 16 )

I think I am going to retake DAT for the last time and then I will be done. I will figure something else to do with my life!!!!~ I am 27 now and I have put up with DAT and Application twice and I am burn-out!

But this is a great thread!~

Scary. Hey do you mind asking what schools did you get interviews at and what your GPA was. Once you had the interview you were likely at the same standard as all the other students. How did your interview go? Maybe you need to practice your interview skills?

Love this thread.. feels like home.

Got avg stats.. 3.2 oGPA but post bacc nontrad and have a 3.7 sGPA..
but my DAT is also avg with a higher PAT: 19AA/ 19 TS / 23 PAT

Just got a call from Western U for an interview!! Apply broadly!!!

Not to sure if I belong in here as I have below average GPAs and DAT.
My GPA was lower from my first couple years of college. But managed to graduated with a 3.2 then graduate again with dental hygiene degree with a 3.6. So when they combined them my BCP is only 3.0 and sGPA is 3.26. DAT 18

my overall GPA is 3.2 and sGPA is 3.3. No interviews yet. Sigh* I keep checking my email.

This is my second year applying. Last year i didn't get accepted at although went to 3 interviews :-( (TS 20 /AA 19/ PAT 16 )

I think I am going to retake DAT for the last time and then I will be done. I will figure something else to do with my life!!!!~ I am 27 now and I have put up with DAT and Application twice and I am burn-out!

I hear you. This is my second time applying to graduate school and I am around the same age. I am soooo ready to start on my career. But no interviews yet. I am getting very impatient.

I know how you feel. I'm turning 29 this month. 3rd time applying. With two bachelor's degree and a master's degree. 2.8 undergrad and a 3.6 masters. 20 AA/21 TS/23 PAT (3rd time taking it). Have to move on with my life.

CONGRATS!!! :) I hope it goes well!!

Hey guys i guess i belong here too!!!! I am freaking out for my DAT scores the only thing that gives me 1% of hope is my GPA and ECs .. Here are my stats,

DAT

AA 19
PAT 18
TS 22
GC 21
OC 23
Bio 23
RC 16 :(
QR 14 :( :( shoot me!!!!!

OGPA: 3.85 sGPA: 3.90 .. I have over 2000+ shadowing/volunteering/work experience, 100+ dental laboratory waxup/model work experience ( hopefully if i get an interview i will show some of my work like crowns/bridges etc..) 3strong LORs and one LOR from a dentist and clinical instructor from usc that i shadowed with... And i have a family memeber ( brother ) who is a dental master ceramist from ucla ( dont know if this makes a difference lol)what do
you guys think??? I am sooo scared!!

assuming you applied to appropriate schools you should be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys!
Really! Take heart and be bold!
Make the best of every opportunity! And apply broadly!!!

Got my second interview today from GHSU via Email!

Hey did they send an email before calling you?

They called and then sent an email the following evening.

Also, apply broadly as in.. as many schools as you can, concentrating on schools with lower entering class mean avgs.

oh pretty bummed here... got my first snail mail rejection from nova today.... :(

anyone here have luck with that school?

its pretty harsh cause i sent out the 50 dollar supplement a week or two ago... and the rejection just came so quick.....

ah c'est la vie....:diebanana::diebanana::diebanana::diebanana::diebanana:

Nova is very quick with the rejection letter so dont feel too bad. Im sure mine will come in about two weeks as my app just went out yesterday.

not to worry guys I thought my DAT for sure doomed me seeing as my boyfriend got a 23 and all my friends at UT have been getting in the 20's. I have a 3.6/3.7 a 19 AA/ 15 PAT and have been the only one to get an interview so far! So other factors like your secondary app and community service do factor in! Keep calm and carry on y'all!

not to worry guys I thought my DAT for sure doomed me seeing as my boyfriend got a 23 and all my friends at UT have been getting in the 20's. I have a 3.6/3.7 a 19 AA/ 15 PAT and have been the only one to get an interview so far! So other factors like your secondary app and community service do factor in! Keep calm and carry on y'all!

^^^ Do you mind sharing the details of your DAT score? What were your scores on the other sections? I am freaking out... I have a lot of ECs 3.85/3.9 with 19AA but 14QR :(... I just want to know if I have a chance anywhere. Oh btw.. What schools did you apply?

Thank you very much!!! :)

You shouldn't worry at all; My scores were Bio: 19 Chem: 20 Ochem: 17 RC: 20 QR:18
I heard they look at qr the least so you should be fine
I'm a TX resident so i applied to the 3 in texas and buffalo, midwestern AZ (got an interview), nova, creighton, NYU, USC, western, and ASDOH
I'm also retaking my DAT in 5 days haha so hopefully I do better.
Good luck to you.

You shouldn't worry at all; My scores were Bio: 19 Chem: 20 Ochem: 17 RC: 20 QR:18
I'm a TX resident so i applied to the 3 in texas and buffalo, midwestern AZ (got an interview), nova, creighton, NYU, USC, western, and ASDOH
Good luck to you.

I'm also applying to Nova, NYU, ASDOH,Western and USC as well as BU. USC is my top choice but I heard they dont take anyone with a 14 even on the QR section :mad: I read some threads where people were asked to retake the DAT by this school... :( but I have a recommendation letter from a faculty ( clinical instructor at usc) so hopefully this should help my situation.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the feedback and best of luck to you on the DAT!!!!

Good luck to you.

I'm also applying to Nova, NYU, ASDOH,Western and USC as well as BU. USC is my top choice but I heard they dont take anyone with a 14 even on the QR section :mad: I read some threads where people were asked to retake the DAT by this school... :( but I have a recommendation letter from a faculty ( clinical instructor at usc) so hopefully this should help my situation.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the feedback and best of luck to you on the DAT!!!!

I think you're fine. Honestly the only thing that is getting me through this application is cycle is trying not to let people get me down. Yeah, you might hear that they don't accept anyone with a 14, but did you hear it from someone on the admissions committee? People like to speculate things and tell you that if you don't have such and such DAT or GPA you won't get any interviews. Obviously, when schools post their average DAT and GPA's there are people way above average as well as below. So just don't let it get to you. You gotta believe!
Best of Luck

Well I am part of this club! I will be applying next cycle with a ~3.4 ogpa and sci 3.48 BCP with a 18AA 19TS and 23 PAT I really hope my pat makes up for my dumb AA. Seriously 1 pt away from being the most avg joe ever!! Wtf

Don't despair!!
I have 21 AA, 19 PAT and Verified GPA of 3.8
Ive gotten 3 interviews so far. Even places that ignored me last year!
Chin up my friends!

Don't despair!!
I have 21 AA, 19 PAT and Verified GPA of 3.8
Ive gotten 3 interviews so far. Even places that ignored me last year!
Chin up my friends!

HAHA, WTF? Those are NOT average stats... its not "shocking" that you have three interviews.

ok guys, i NEED SUPPORT.
i am going to be a reapplicant.
my current stats 3.1 science/bcp , exactly 50 credits of postbacc with a 4.0 gpa classes like patho neuro pharm histo etc etc etc. i will be taking probably 3 more courses this fall.
DAT which i took 2 weeks ago......20ts/20aa/18pat

i applied to 12 schoools. i was on hold for my DAT scores.

IM FREAKIN OUT.

i know my bcp/sci GPA is still LOW, but ive put in alot of credits during my postbacc, and they werent "easy" sciences, i specifically took upper division courses that are dental schools supposidly like to see. im concerned bc my dat was "late" but its w/e at this point. its done. and i cant change that.........someone please chanceeeee meeeeee. im going nutso waiting for an interview.......

So silly, I'm on here so much that I didnt see this thread.

19AA 3.4 cum. 3.6 sci. Not URM
4 interviews (just had one recently actually)..

Let's keep this alive shall we?

Best of luck to people with relatively similar stats. WE GOT TO SICK TOGETHER! :laugh:
don't lose hope, we can all do this.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

update 9/19 - 8 interviews.

Last edited:
Wow! THis is an AWESOME thread! I just thought I'd throw my support out there to all of you and say I'm RIGHT there with the DAT (18/19 averaged across the board) and GPA (3.4) stats and 1000+ extracurricular/volunteer/community service hours (club president, officer of a variety of clubs), and 1000+ hrs dental work experience. :)

I'm part of the 8th batch and still yet to receive an invite. Also to make you feel better, I'm from Hawaii so my chances are a lot SLIMMER than many since I don't have the option of applying to ANY schools as an "in-state" candidate :T. I feel gloomy every day thinking I'm average and no school will give me a chance because of my numbers. Knowing there are others out there just as worried as me makes me feel like I'm not alone! :)

Goodluck to all!~ :)

Last edited:
So silly, I'm on here so much that I didnt see this thread.

19AA 3.4 cum. 3.6 sci. Not URM
4 interviews (just had one recently actually)..

Let's keep this alive shall we?

Best of luck to people with relatively similar stats. WE GOT TO SICK TOGETHER! :laugh:
don't lose hope, we can all do this.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Which schools if you don't mind sharing? Thanks :)

Awesome thread!

I have a 3.7/3.5 and 18 AA and TS. I also applied the second week in August but I've gotten 2 interviews so far! There is hope.

Which schools if you don't mind sharing? Thanks :)

check the interview forum that's stickied. I posted all the interview I got there w/ more about my stats.

I believe I belong in the club.
19/19/18 nothing below 17.
GPA: 4.0 overall/sci

Seem that i have the lowest possible DAT scores!! Omg, really? Noone here applying with similar DAT scores..The lowest i seen was AA18...

Seem that i have the lowest possible DAT scores!! Omg, really? Noone here applying with similar DAT scores..The lowest i seen was AA18...

Just to let you know...

I met someone at my testing center who applied with a 3.6 GPA and 16AA. He got an interview at western last cycle.

Just to let you know...

I met someone at my testing center who applied with a 3.6 GPA and 16AA. He got an interview at western last cycle.

Thanks :), thats great, lets wait and see..i will let everyone know if any interviews next year

Last cycle I applied in late September with a 18AA 17TS (17Bio 18Gchem 17Orgo) 17OR 22RC 19PAT.

I still got 4 interviews.... Stony Brook (October), LECOM(April), Buffalo (Jan), UMDNJ(Dec). Waitlisted at all 4.

Applied late this year too with a slightly higher DAT. Hoping for the best!

GPA? Urm?