Average DAT & Average GPA Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone
This is my first post on sdn. I just wanted some opinions. I just took my dat at got AA 20 TS 21 and PAT 21. My gpa is 3.54 and my sgpa is 3.2. I have graduated from college and have been working as a dental assistant. I am going to apply next cycle. I do have 2 W on my transcript because I couldn't afford to pay for my summer classes. Do you guys think I'm on the right track/are my chances of acceptance pretty good?
Thank you ahead of time for your responses!

Your stats are similar to mine, AA: 20 TS: 21; Overall GPA: 3.55 Science GPA: 3.47

I work as an assistant. I applied broadly because of a red flag in the past and still got 7 interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are similar to mine, AA: 20 TS: 21; Overall GPA: 3.55 Science GPA: 3.47

I work as an assistant. I applied broadly because of a red flag in the past and still got 7 interviews.

How long did you work as an assistant ?

I have about 3k hours? Almost 3 years. Worked alongside 30 or so doctors after going to dental assisting school while finishing up my degree. Volunteered at a clinic for developmentally challenged individuals and another site for the poor. I was employed as a general assistant initially, but I have largely devoted my time to ortho after taking up a job opportunity under two orthodontists. Assisted endo, prostho, perio, and OS docs so I could expand my clinical knowledge and come across all sorts of patients and their cases.

This wasn't all that I did though. I worked in a genetics research lab and also volunteered at other places that aren't related to dentistry.

My advice to average applicants is to try and stand out with your extracurriculars and show your dedication to dentistry.

Last edited:

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah I was told to apply broadly with my stats. What exactly does that entail? Just apply to a bunch of schools?

Could we start posting extracurricular also? They look at that too.

cGPA 3.3
sGPA 3.0

AA19/TS19
PAT 21
QR 18
RC 20
BIO 22
GC 19
OC 18

Shadow: 36 hrs GP & 6 hrs D3/D4 students
Other: 8 yrs Army in aviation branch with a ton of leadership experience. Worked 30+hrs a week 3rd shift the entire time in school

I applied late (mid september) and still waiting on DAT scores to show up.

Reactions: 1 user