WAMC average GPA and DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chloethedent

Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: planning on early July
Overall GPA: 3.55
Science GPA: 3.87
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.23
DAT score (include AA and all sections): PAT: 18, QR: 18, RC: 21, BIO: 20; GC: 16, OC: 17, TS: 18, AA: 18
State of Residence: Pennsylvania

Undergrad Attended:
Penn State
Major: Biobehavioral Health
Minor: Biology, Natural Sciences, and Diversity and Inclusion in Health and Human Development
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
120 hours total (general and pediatric)
Volunteering Experience: About 300 hours volunteering with/mentoring college aged students with disabilities, 40 hours in 2 different medical/dental clinics for underserved communities, 20 hours with the Red Cross
Employment: Sterilization Technician in a pediatric office (training to be a Dental Assistant) (about 300 hours, started this summer)
Research: 2 different labs, both looking at Human Development and Child Health. First lab about 560 hours, second lab about 60 hours.
Other Extracurriculars: Biobehavioral Health Society Treasurer, Club Swimming, Pre-Dental Society, large leadership role (~30 hours a week) in Penn State THON (largest student run philanthropy in the world), My sorority's DEI committee.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list for 4 semesters, Edit Pitt Chace Award
LOR type and strength: Physics professor (VERY strong, we have a great relationship), non-science professor (strong); Dentist I shadowed/met at clinic for underserved communities (super strong), Genetics/Bio professor (decently strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I got C's in all of my chemistry classes (due to my first year being online and poor mental health in addition to new faculty), but I got A's in all of the labs and have an upward trend in all of my coursework. I did well in all of my other pre-reqs, but I am worried these C's will stick out like a sore thumb. Ideally I would like to apply this year and go to school after graduation, but I'm wondering if a masters/postbacc would help my application be more appealing. I took my DAT today and my gen chem has me absolutely crushed,on bootcamp I was getting a 19-20 AA every time.
School list: (totally open to suggestions)
BU
Case Western
Indiana U
Marquette
Midwestern Illinois
Rutgers
Temple
Tufts
U of Colorado
U of Louisville (maybe)
U of Maryland
UNE
UPenn
Pitt
your DAT is not "average" (20.5)
you need to apply to way more schools if you are going to have that many publics on your list

have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at upitt or upenn?

Date of submission: planning on early July
Overall GPA: 3.55
Science GPA: 3.87
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.23
DAT score (include AA and all sections): PAT: 18, QR: 18, RC: 21, BIO: 20; GC: 16, OC: 17, TS: 18, AA: 18
State of Residence: Pennsylvania

Undergrad Attended:
Penn State
Major: Biobehavioral Health
Minor: Biology, Natural Sciences, and Diversity and Inclusion in Health and Human Development
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
120 hours total (general and pediatric)
Volunteering Experience: About 300 hours volunteering with/mentoring college aged students with disabilities, 40 hours in 2 different medical/dental clinics for underserved communities, 20 hours with the Red Cross
Employment: Sterilization Technician in a pediatric office (training to be a Dental Assistant) (about 300 hours, started this summer)
Research: 2 different labs, both looking at Human Development and Child Health. First lab about 560 hours, second lab about 60 hours.
Other Extracurriculars: Biobehavioral Health Society Treasurer, Club Swimming, Pre-Dental Society, large leadership role (~30 hours a week) in Penn State THON (largest student run philanthropy in the world), My sorority's DEI committee.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list for 4 semesters, Edit Pitt Chace Award
LOR type and strength: Physics professor (VERY strong, we have a great relationship), non-science professor (strong); Dentist I shadowed/met at clinic for underserved communities (super strong), Genetics/Bio professor (decently strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I got C's in all of my chemistry classes (due to my first year being online and poor mental health in addition to new faculty), but I got A's in all of the labs and have an upward trend in all of my coursework. I did well in all of my other pre-reqs, but I am worried these C's will stick out like a sore thumb. Ideally I would like to apply this year and go to school after graduation, but I'm wondering if a masters/postbacc would help my application be more appealing. I took my DAT today and my gen chem has me absolutely crushed,on bootcamp I was getting a 19-20 AA every time.
School list: (totally open to suggestions)
BU
Case Western
Indiana U
Marquette
Midwestern Illinois
Rutgers
Temple
Tufts
U of Colorado
U of Louisville (maybe)
U of Maryland
UNE
UPenn
Pitt
you need to check your school list to see if they have a hard cutoff at 17...

Members don't see this ad :)
Your BCP GPA due to those C's probably will set you back. Having low chemistry subscores confirms this concern.

If you do a DIY postbac, what courses are left? You may want to think about a dental SMP if your application doesn't get much attention.

Reactions: 1 user
I think if anything, your 18AA is what will hurt your application the most. Your GPA overall is solid, while your C's in chemistry could be forgiven, I agree that getting low scores on the DAT probably won't help you. If anything, scoring well on those sections could calm Adcom's nerves about your ability to succeed in dental school.

I would apply as broadly as you can, maybe add 3-5 more privates if you can afford it. Creighton, ASDOH, MW-AZ, Western, LECOM, NOVA, OHSU could be a few added to your radar of possible schools given you're applying broadly along with the East Coast.

I think if anything, your 18AA is what will hurt your application the most. Your GPA overall is solid, while your C's in chemistry could be forgiven, I agree that getting low scores on the DAT probably won't help you. If anything, scoring well on those sections could calm Adcom's nerves about your ability to succeed in dental school.

I would apply as broadly as you can, maybe add 3-5 more privates if you can afford it. Creighton, ASDOH, MW-AZ, Western, LECOM, NOVA, OHSU could be a few added to your radar of possible schools given you're applying broadly along with the East Coast.
western, asdoh, mw-az, and OHSU are not on the east coast...

western, asdoh, mw-az, and OHSU are not on the east coast...
I phrased that weird lol, I'm saying in addition to their East coast schools, they're schools OP could look into. Being from East coast, West coast schools seem to show some favor to east coast residents. Could be something for them to look into given their DAT, they should apply regionally, and broadly.