August 17th CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ab117

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe a little early, anyone else feeling the panic set in?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Taking it after first year?

Yeah, we do all basic science courses D1 except pharmacology and have a 6 week summer break. We'll see how it actually goes haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Feeling the panic here a bit...wish I had started studying a month or two before I did

At my school taking it first year actually is a smart move. Get familiar with the exam so if a retake is needed, everything becomes easier.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, we do all basic science courses D1 except pharmacology and have a 6 week summer break. We'll see how it actually goes haha.
Dang that’s fast. We take all basic sciences at our school besides pharm but that’s not the really the hardest to study for anyway. Probs doing February cause I started studying at beginning of summer.
Good luck!!

Dang that’s fast. We take all basic sciences at our school besides pharm but that’s not the really the hardest to study for anyway. Probs doing February cause I started studying at beginning of summer.
Good luck!!
Thanks, you too.
I doubt I'll pull a @Likkriue but I'd be pretty happy about breaking 60 at all and feel pretty good about retaking in February.

I got 2 higher than what my nbmes were.

Question to @Likkriue and others, how well did NBMEs and UWSAs predict your scores?

I found this spreadsheet on reddit, it's apparently pretty accurate. Just convert the USMLE score to the CBSE score.

Uworld is definitely kicking my butt right now, that's for sure

Members don't see this ad :)
52% and that is on my second pass. 60 on my last practice name smh...

Who knows how accurate this is...but a 52% puts you right around a usmle 200 which correlates to about a 70 if I'm reading the score conversion properly https://www.nbme.org/PDF/SampleScoreReports/CBSE - Score Report.pdf

Who knows how accurate this is...but a 52% puts you right around a usmle 200 which correlates to about a 70 if I'm reading the score conversion properly https://www.nbme.org/PDF/SampleScoreReports/CBSE - Score Report.pdf

Edit** just re-read your post about getting a 60 on your last practice exam. One of the NBMEs? ...I guess that helps us know the charts I posted aren't too accurate.

I wish, but having gotten a 60 on the last practice NBME I doubt it. I don't think a 52% average on Uworld (2nd pass) actually holds any meaning too. I imagine some are just remembered answers.

If it helps I got a 54 and 48 on my NBME's in February and got a 60 on the real thing. Hoping I can get a 65+ this time around.

Good luck! This test is horrible... at least we can take it more than once.

I think that's several years old and doesn't correlate as well anymore, people have gotten better at taking the tests, so they've made it a little harder over the years, from what I've read in the med forums and stuff. I sure wish it was accurate though!

I think that's several years old and doesn't correlate as well anymore, people have gotten better at taking the tests, so they've made it a little harder over the years, from what I've read in the med forums and stuff. I sure wish it was accurate though!

I sure wish also lol! ...the only personal experience I have is my upperclassman was hitting 60%'s and pulled off a 70. Here is hoping I can pull a miracle off in a few weeks. February is looking better and better each day.

4 weeks is a solid chunk of time. No summer no booze no vacation for y’all.

no break here unfortunately... full time clinic
Same here lol ... long nights
This is why I decided to just go for it early, shadowed in the OR with a D3 who said he and others wish they’d just tried after D1 and it just gets harder and harder to be able to put in the study time. I was shocked to get a 70 on NBME 18 the other day, we’ll see if that’ll translate to the real thing but there’s no way I could have remembered as much as I did if I weren’t reviewing for hours and hours every single day. I don’t envy you guys juggling classes and clinic with studying. Really hope you’ll all do well!

This is why I decided to just go for it early, shadowed in the OR with a D3 who said he and others wish they’d just tried after D1 and it just gets harder and harder to be able to put in the study time. I was shocked to get a 70 on NBME 18 the other day, we’ll see if that’ll translate to the real thing but there’s no way I could have remembered as much as I did if I weren’t reviewing for hours and hours every single day. I don’t envy you guys juggling classes and clinic with studying. Really hope you’ll all do well!

Congrats on the nbme 70! I hope you kill it on the 17th. You are smart for doing it early, I wish I would have done the same.

Congrats on the nbme 70! I hope you kill it on the 17th. You are smart for doing it early, I wish I would have done the same.
Yeah I’m definitely thinking it’s a big advantage. Even if I don’t break 70 I’ll have 10x the base I would in Feb, if that was my first attempt. I mean, the majority of dental students could get into med school if they wanted to, and med schools have like 95% pass rates on step 1. That implies that almost every one of us and our classmates would score 200+ on the real thing out of med school, almost everyone is capable of 70+ if they just had a good chunk of time to completely dedicate to it.

In on this. Currently averaging 70% on uworld with random and timed. Have about 1/4 left to go. Hoping to break 80+. The grind is almost over

Reactions: 2 users
In on this. Currently averaging 70% on uworld with random and timed. Have about 1/4 left to go. Hoping to break 80+. The grind is almost over
Nice! I'm still averaging around 50% on mine. Slowly getting there haha

Nice! I'm still averaging around 50% on mine. Slowly getting there haha

Uworld is tough but thankfully the CBSE/NBME is a lot more straight forward. You either know it or you don't... not a lot of the mental gymnastics you experience with Uworld

Uworld is tough but thankfully the CBSE/NBME is a lot more straight forward. You either know it or you don't... not a lot of the mental gymnastics you experience with Uworld
Getting an 80 is insane, that’s awesome. I’ve felt the same way about the NBMEs, it’s a lot easier to tell which answers don’t quite fit even if you don’t know exactly what going on, compared to UWorld where every distractor can seem plausible. Got a 70 a couple weeks ago and a 73 on Friday, so really hoping I’ll be in that ballpark.

Getting an 80 is insane, that’s awesome. I’ve felt the same way about the NBMEs, it’s a lot easier to tell which answers don’t quite fit even if you don’t know exactly what going on, compared to UWorld where every distractor can seem plausible. Got a 70 a couple weeks ago and a 73 on Friday, so really hoping I’ll be in that ballpark.

Hopefully I can repeat it next weekend. Hoping it wasn't a fluke test. You're doing great with the tests. The fact you hit 70+ twice shows that you're in a good spot. Seems like most people score right at or slightly above their nbme's with the CBSE. Just need to keep grinding and hope for the best

I'm planning on taking my first nbme tomorrow. I've been reading about people taking nbme 15, 16, etc...but looking at it tonight it looks like they have retired older tests. Are you just taking the one currently available? 18, 20, 21, etc...

Do 21 or 24. 15 and 16 are good for baselines.

I'm planning on taking my first nbme tomorrow. I've been reading about people taking nbme 15, 16, etc...but looking at it tonight it looks like they have retired older tests. Are you just taking the one currently available? 18, 20, 21, etc...

The newer ones have mixed reviews but 18 is supposedly a fairly good one. I'm planning on taking that tomorrow or Sunday. As for the older ones, if there's a will there's a way

I took 18 and 24.

Is there a specific reason to do 21 or 24?

Heard 22 stinks cause it’s all anatomy. Don’t know about 23. 21 and 24 just seems to be closer to 18.

20 is soul crushing. For example 230 on 20 but got above 240 on 21 and 24.
Haven’t looked at 23, and I don’t see a reason to take too many of them. Taking 2-3 along the way to gauge progress.

The two best are 18 and UWSA2.

Reactions: 3 users
2 weeks out, what’s everyone doing on the home stretch?

I’m thinking of reviewing sketchy, certain section of pathoma, then uworld as much as humanly possible

I'm getting near the end of my uworld bank, still having trouble cracking the 50% mark haha. I was thinking of just going over some of the ones I got wrong, and then reviewing sketchy as well

I've got about 900 Incorrects left. I'm trying to get through as many of those as I can but I'm back in class Monday so I'm not sure I'll finish. I'll probably dedicate a day to a final pass of all of Sketchy micro at 3x speed to brush up on details I've forgot but I don't know if anything else will be as valuable as UWorld at this point.

500+ questions left in uworld. At this point, is it better to keep breaking through or review those I missed and try to go back over the other questions to reinforce concepts (b/c obvi some are pure guesses)?

I'm prioritizing anki over uworld for this final stretch. Pretty much all anki reviewing until the test. Took my final nbme today so hopefully I'll see a little improvement with the CBSE

I'm prioritizing anki over uworld for this final stretch. Pretty much all anki reviewing until the test. Took my final nbme today so hopefully I'll see a little improvement with the CBSE

You take all the NBMEs already?

You take all the NBMEs already?

Nope. I've taken three and that's enough for me. They're a big time commitment. Good for telling you where you're at but that's about it

Last edited:
Patients and exams don't leave us with much time, but I'm going to review some incorrect UWorld questions and take UWSA2 next Saturday. I wish we had a dedicated period to hunker down and reinforce some things. I just finished all the NBMEs and based on those I'm hovering right under an 80. Also going to watch some Dirty USMLE videos when I have the chance. Sounds like you guys manage to boost up a couple points on the real thing - fingers crossed.