Army Periodontics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohwhencherry

Reaction score
Does anyone have a feel for how competitive army periodontics residency admissions is for HPSP students? I am a D1 in the top 10% of my class, 4.0 GPA (undergrad went well also, 26 DAT AA, summa cum laude and honors and all that). Would I have a shot at getting in, or is it more realistic to plan on doing an 1 year AEGD and working for a year or two in the army before having a chance at getting in? I don't have a lot of extracurriculars in DS yet, but I could work on research or other involvement if that is valued by the army in residency applications. I know there are 4 perio spots open every year, how many applicants are there? Just trying to get a feel for what the application process might look like. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say even with great stats coming out of dental school, expect to get on the waitlist, do the AEGD-1, and then get accepted to perio residency from the AEGD. I was in a similar situation (4.0, top 10%, similar undergrad background) and was waitlisted for ortho (only 2 spots). I ended up not enjoying ortho in my AEGD as much as I expected, so did not apply again, but if I had, probably would have been accepted from there.

A lot of times the military wants to see your “commitment” to them before accepting you to residency. The main specialty you can get right out of DS is oral surgery, because they are always short on them.

You can do research if you’d like, but probably the most influential thing you could do is if your school allows for externship time, do an externship 3rd or 4th year at an Army perio residency location during your ADT time to get to know the mentors and program directors so they can write you a letter of recommendation.

And finally, if you’re not set on wanting to spend more time in the military and dealing with the bureaucracy of it all, you can always do your time and use the GI bill after separating to pay for a civilian perio residency as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say even with great stats coming out of dental school, expect to get on the waitlist, do the AEGD-1, and then get accepted to perio residency from the AEGD.

A lot of times the military wants to see your “commitment” to them before accepting you to residency.

And finally, if you’re not set on wanting to spend more time in the military and dealing with the bureaucracy of it all, you can always do your time and use the GI bill after separating to pay for a civilian perio residency as well.
100% agree. I was told they wanted to see me go to CCC, Air Assault, Airborne, etc. and show a commitment to the Army 🙄

In addition to an externship, you can also try to get a spot at the Ft. Gordon short course or the Navy graduate courses Navy Medicine > Naval Medical Leader and Professional Development Command > Naval Postgraduate Dental School > Continuing Education

Perio usually has 4-8 people apply each year, so your odds are pretty good of being accepted. Keep in mind that if you are selected, you are committing to an additional 6-7 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say even with great stats coming out of dental school, expect to get on the waitlist, do the AEGD-1, and then get accepted to perio residency from the AEGD. I was in a similar situation (4.0, top 10%, similar undergrad background) and was waitlisted for ortho (only 2 spots). I ended up not enjoying ortho in my AEGD as much as I expected, so did not apply again, but if I had, probably would have been accepted from there.

A lot of times the military wants to see your “commitment” to them before accepting you to residency. The main specialty you can get right out of DS is oral surgery, because they are always short on them.

You can do research if you’d like, but probably the most influential thing you could do is if your school allows for externship time, do an externship 3rd or 4th year at an Army perio residency location during your ADT time to get to know the mentors and program directors so they can write you a letter of recommendation.

Thanks for the feedback! My school does not allow time for any officer training in the army while in DS, so I am expecting to snowbird for most of my first year before being able to start a residency. I’ll probably plan on doing the AEGD-1 and use that time to get good exposure to the specialties in the army. I am also interested in OS, so it will be a good opportunity to compare perio and OS.

I hadn’t even thought of utilizing the GI bill after separating! That is an awesome idea If I decide to head towards perio! It would be a good way to get a strong set of general dentistry skills before specializing as well. I’m not is a hurry to complete all my training, but would rather go for quality over speed In completing my education.

Also, do you know what the competition is like for getting into oral surgery? I’ve heard that the army is short on surgeons, that it is not as competitive as civilian programs, etc. but have not seen any hard numbers. I know there are 14 OS spots open each year, what is the average number of applicants?

Thanks for the feedback! My school does not allow time for any officer training in the army while in DS, so I am expecting to snowbird for most of my first year before being able to start a residency. I’ll probably plan on doing the AEGD-1 and use that time to get good exposure to the specialties in the army. I am also interested in OS, so it will be a good opportunity to compare perio and OS.

I hadn’t even thought of utilizing the GI bill after separating! That is an awesome idea If I decide to head towards perio! It would be a good way to get a strong set of general dentistry skills before specializing as well. I’m not is a hurry to complete all my training, but would rather go for quality over speed In completing my education.

Also, do you know what the competition is like for getting into oral surgery? I’ve heard that the army is short on surgeons, that it is not as competitive as civilian programs, etc. but have not seen any hard numbers. I know there are 14 OS spots open each year, what is the average number of applicants?

Keep in mind that the Army picks training spots about 2 years ahead. So many of the LTs end up doing a snowbird year before starting the residency in their second year of service. Sometimes LTs get lucky and get to start the program right after BOLC.

If you score well on CBSE, you're pretty much in... I don't know the exact number of OS applicants, but the Army usually does not fill all OMFS spots within 1 application cycle. Army would rather wait for the following application cycle to backfill the vacant OMFS slots than to give to a "non-competitive" applicant.

And I recommend doing an 1 Year AEGD... 4 of my AEGD co-residents changed their minds and pursued different specialty training.

Keep in mind that the Army picks training spots about 2 years ahead. So many of the LTs end up doing a snowbird year before starting the residency in their second year of service. Sometimes LTs get lucky and get to start the program right after BOLC.

If you score well on CBSE, you're pretty much in... I don't know the exact number of OS applicants, but the Army usually does not fill all OMFS spots within 1 application cycle. Army would rather wait for the following application cycle to backfill the vacant OMFS slots than to give to a "non-competitive" applicant.

And I recommend doing an 1 Year AEGD... 4 of my AEGD co-residents changed their minds and pursued different specialty training.
Can an AEGD resident go straight into a residency like endo or OS? Or do they need to do a snow bird year after AEGD?

If you do go shadow OS at a residency, don’t tell them you’re also interested in perio

If you do go shadow OS at a residency, don’t tell them you’re also interested in perio
What would be the main reason for not expressing interest in both OS and perio? Are programs looking for dental students to be dead set on a specific specialty?

What would be the main reason for not expressing interest in both OS and perio? Are programs looking for dental students to be dead set on a specific specialty?
Oral Surgeons and Periodontists tend to talk smack about each other

Oral Surgeons and Periodontists tend to talk smack about each other
When I was in and trying to shadow a GP at the hospital I was at, I asked the OS program director (who I had known from a previous command) if he knew any GP's at the dental clinic who were willing to let me shadow. He set me up with one of the general dentists at the clinic, and during the time in between patients, we discussed the differences in healthcare in the military and civilian world and so forth, and he mentioned to me that he wanted to pursue perio, either when he got out or try to do it while he was in. He told me under no circumstance to mention that to my OS friend, however.

It really shouldn’t matter, because they’re both specialties of dentistry and you will be a dentist. But in my experience some people in each community believe they’re unique and set spart from the other, so how could someone be suited for both? This is true regarding their training, but in practice OS and perio are competitors for their most lucrative and common procedures.

I think it’s natural to investigate both if you want a typical office based / private practice career after residency. After all, If they really were so different from one another they would not be so defensive.

Last edited:
When I was in and trying to shadow a GP at the hospital I was at, I asked the OS program director (who I had known from a previous command) if he knew any GP's at the dental clinic who were willing to let me shadow. He set me up with one of the general dentists at the clinic, and during the time in between patients, we discussed the differences in healthcare in the military and civilian world and so forth, and he mentioned to me that he wanted to pursue perio, either when he got out or try to do it while he was in. He told me under no circumstance to mention that to my OS friend, however.
YEP. I think that OMS in general can be extremely cocky, but then on the other hand, there are too many dentists/periodontists that try to compare themself to an OMS and say that they're better/know more. Everyone needs to know their lane, stick to it, and stop trying to act like they're God. I'm interested in OMS, however, I don't think I'm better than someone who wants to do perio. We NEED periodontists! I have my interests, they have theirs, I will respect their skill, and in return I expect the same.

Can an AEGD resident go straight into a residency like endo or OS? Or do they need to do a snow bird year after AEGD?
You guys know if its possible to not do any residencies and just complete the 4-year obligation as a general dentist somewhere?

Thanks!

You guys know if its possible to not do any residencies and just complete the 4-year obligation as a general dentist somewhere?

Thanks!
Yes, this is moderately common. The 1 year AEGD is typically highly encouraged. At the moment, it is required to apply but not required to accept the position if offered.

I have seen plenty of dentists that did their 4 year obligation and then left for private practice.