Army Orders and Report Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalArmy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a D3 and I've convinced my school to allow me to get out of clinic to do BOLC this Summer. As long as I'm deemed competent, which I fully expect, then I'll still graduate with the rest of my classmates in mid April. I would look to report the beginning of May. Is it possible to get orders before others who are attending BOLC the Summer after graduation? It seems orders are now given out the beginning of April and it would be nice to have a little more notice to look for housing and also possible options for my wife to finish her schooling. I know orders are given out earlier for AEGD residents, but I don't think I'm going to do one at this point because of the situation with my wife.

Members don't see this ad.

You will get your orders a little earlier than the rest of the HPSP class if you are going to a residency or if you’ve already completed BOLC but it will be probably days earlier, not months. Sometime 4th year you will be contacted by an assignments officer. Reply back promptly that you’ve completed BOLC and you will be put in the top of his queue to cut orders - you can even request a specific reporting date (not that you’re guaranteed to get it but I don’t see why not).

Reactions: 1 user
Similar question but opposite scenario, what if you are a new dental student and have to do the new DCC and BOLC after graduation, when would you get orders in this scenario? I imagine it would be way later in the fall. Can you still ask preferences for assignments this late?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not sure how things will work with DCC but it’s proabably not going to be that different than it is now. You will be contacted and will provide information that will be used to determine in what order your orders will be cut, it can never hurt to ask but you won’t get to pick your assignment location or anything like that just because... Also you won’t get orders in the fall, you may find out where you will be stationed late winter senior year and likely won’t get actual orders more than a few weeks before graduation which can be really stressful

Reactions: 1 user
You will get your orders a little earlier than the rest of the HPSP class if you are going to a residency or if you’ve already completed BOLC but it will be probably days earlier, not months. Sometime 4th year you will be contacted by an assignments officer. Reply back promptly that you’ve completed BOLC and you will be put in the top of his queue to cut orders - you can even request a specific reporting date (not that you’re guaranteed to get it but I don’t see why not).
Thanks!