Army, Oral Surgery Application, Time out of service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1Bound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to find the military dentistry forum but couldn't navigate to it. My question is as follows:

Is it impossible for someone to apply to a civilian oral surgery residency who is on the Army HPSP scholarship? Or is it something that is possible, but would require a very important person to make an exception for an applicant? I know students in the Navy get to apply to civilian residencies, but I have been told it doesn't happen for Army.

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to find the military dentistry forum but couldn't navigate to it. My question is as follows:

Is it impossible for someone to apply to a civilian oral surgery residency who is on the Army HPSP scholarship? Or is it something that is possible, but would require a very important person to make an exception for an applicant? I know students in the Navy get to apply to civilian residencies, but I have been told it doesn't happen for Army.
Is this the Military Dentistry Forum you were looking for? Military Dentistry

Members don't see this ad :)

They've sent people off service in prior years for 6-year programs but that is about the extent of it. It is much easier, though, to get into an Army OMFS program than a civilian program due to the number of seats/applicant. The minimum CBSE score is also much lower.

They've sent people off service in prior years for 6-year programs but that is about the extent of it. It is much easier, though, to get into an Army OMFS program than a civilian program due to the number of seats/applicant. The minimum CBSE score is also much lower.
I asked a program director about the entrance requirements into Army OMS, he smiled and said it's a "well kept secret" that it's easier to get into. He wouldn't directly tell me though what type of scores I need, that it just depends "on me." I'm definitely leaning towards only 4 years of training. I have no interest in studying for the USMLE a second time just to get some letters after my name at this point in time. Out of curiosity, is it possible to get an accelerated MD later on after graduating from a 4 year OMS residency if someone decides they want it? Thanks

I asked a program director about the entrance requirements into Army OMS, he smiled and said it's a "well kept secret" that it's easier to get into. He wouldn't directly tell me though what type of scores I need, that it just depends "on me." I'm definitely leaning towards only 4 years of training. I have no interest in studying for the USMLE a second time just to get some letters after my name at this point in time. Out of curiosity, is it possible to get an accelerated MD later on after graduating from a 4 year OMS residency if someone decides they want it? Thanks
I'm not really sure what your situation is (HPSP, pre-dental, etc.) but the minimum score to be considered is a 50, which wouldn't get you in anywhere as a civilian. If you're in the Army already, I believe they aren't sending anyone this cycle or next cycle off-service for a 6-year.

I don't know if it's possible to get an accelerated MD after 4-year, definitely not if you're active duty.

I'm not really sure what your situation is (HPSP, pre-dental, etc.) but the minimum score to be considered is a 50, which wouldn't get you in anywhere as a civilian. If you're in the Army already, I believe they aren't sending anyone this cycle or next cycle off-service for a 6-year.

I don't know if it's possible to get an accelerated MD after 4-year, definitely not if you're active duty.

I'm on HPSP right now. First year student.

I'm on HPSP right now. First year student.
I recommend you try and spend some serious time with OMFS and any other specialties you may be interested in to try and get a feel for the day-to-day before you commit to any residency. You have plenty of time to make a decision and take the CBSE multiple times if needed

Currently the answer is no, zero exception. It is clearly stated in the specialty application memo for 2020. May change by the time you are getting ready to apply. Historically there have been times when the Army, AF, and Navy have allowed people to apply for the match. Navy may still be doing it. Currently Army and AF are not. The number of Active OMSs are probably assessed each year and predictions are made regarding how many are getting out, staying in, etc. If the numbers are very low they may accept more applicants and allow some of those to apply for the match.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently the answer is no, zero exception. It is clearly stated in the specialty application memo for 2020. May change by the time you are getting ready to apply. Historically there have been times when the Army, AF, and Navy have allowed people to apply for the match. Navy may still be doing it. Currently Army and AF are not. The number of Active OMSs are probably assessed each year and predictions are made regarding how many are getting out, staying in, etc. If the numbers are very low they may accept more applicants and allow some of those to apply for the match.
Thank you for the information. I think the great thing about DoD residencies is that you build up years of service, whereas in a civilian residency I don't think that is the case. I think your pay back is simply deferred. Also, I don't think you get your regular military pay. I guess a potential downside is one may not be able to earn their MD during residency, if that is something that is important to them. I've been told to just go towards 4 year programs, but I personally don't know enough about the field of OMS to know the difference yet.